Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How much is the Executive Director paid?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How much is the Executive Director paid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How much is the Executive Director paid?

I figure a position of this stature in a "not for profit" must be reported.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much is the Executive Director paid?

Removed by me.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 PM
KidEpoxy

I recall a guy gave a non-ama link to a 'public information' AMA 2008 tax document,
and page7 of that listed ED Jim Cherry getting paid $125,260 + $14,249 other compensation,
and the AssistED Joyce got 107727 in it

... and by 'I recall' I mean I saved a copy of the pdf and just reread it for those numbers

edit append:
ahh, found the link, seems the document is hosted at Foundation Center, fdncenter.org
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Silent-AV8R

Removed by author.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a highly skilled position that very few of us have the God given talent to fullfill.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

So call it $139,509 in total compensation. That is about $1 from each member's dues per year. Seems fair to me.
Hmmm... only about 2% of my AMA tax goes to the ED... not a bad return on my money for him.

Really looks much better when we extrapolate further based on info found in this thread... on average, about $17.00 from each member goes for salaries... Now, that is a really great return on our money for them... So there you go... non profits can profit...some.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 AM
KidEpoxy

I didnt realize this was a Fair/Unfair opinion poll,
I just answered the OPs question on How Much and referred to the reported-ness of it that he mentioned

I wouldnt use Just $1 Per Member as a fairness standard,
since we dont pay the USA president a $300mil sum justified with 'just $1 per member'.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM
combatpigg

Actually, $1 per member right off the top before you turn on the light switch and hang up your hat is a pretty big chunk. It demonstrates how little there really is to running the show.
How many mutual fund managers could get away with an expense ratio of 1 in 58...?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Considering all the nights, weekends, and travel involved, it's pretty low pay. The Executive Director of a local non-profit here, who represents fewer members, makes close to $300K. A newly-appointed high school principal makes more than the AMA ED. The average prison guard here is pretty close to the same.

The money is by no means out of line with the duties of the job.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

A newly-appointed high school principal makes more than the AMA ED. The average prison guard here is pretty close to the same.
They will, until the state declares bankruptcy.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:19 PM
mr_matt

Pretty low cost of living there.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ncie-IN/Salary
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering all the nights, weekends, and travel involved, it's pretty low pay. The Executive Director of a local non-profit here, who represents fewer members, makes close to $300K. A newly-appointed high school principal makes more than the AMA ED. The average prison guard here is pretty close to the same.

The money is by no means out of line with the duties of the job.
Well, teachu2, you're in California. Everyone earns 3 times or more what they're worth. Indiana is another place, and IMO, $125,000.00 per year is a very good job with all holidays off, regular schedules, paid expenses for getting to ALL the big events and basically living model airplanes. Lots of perks in AMA benefits for retirement. Annuities deposited in the employee's name, etc.

Check out http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/benefits.aspx

I certainly would have appreciated those regular schedules when I set out a lot of holidays beside a B-47 loaded with Thermonuclear weapons just so the Soviets would each AM realize that the current day was just not their day. [8D]

K.E. said:
I didnt realize this was a Fair/Unfair opinion poll,
I just answered the OPs question on How Much and referred to the reported-ness of it that he mentioned
KE simply provided the OP with the information the OP was seeking. Why do some of you folks have to start arguing against KE because he provided an answer to a poster's request?

Are you just looking for a twist of something to jump KE? Or is it because KE knows so much more than you do? I think you need not answer here. Those that can read and are truly interested in RIGHT rather than "smart-pants" can well determine for themselves.

Did you know that from Wed. April 27th to Wed May 04, 20 young USA soldiers including one female gave up ALL their remaining days just so you could P&M about manufactured arguments? Think about that.

Horrace Cain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJfS1v-fU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdF2S...eature=channel
Old 05-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Teachu2

No doubt it's a good job - should it not be?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 PM
mr_matt

City Manager of Bell, CA was a good job too I guess.

Why not get paid a million for that?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Hossfly

Mr. Trent, Yes, IMO, yet it is also a very demanding job. In all the times I have run for AMA office, I have always promoted that the AMA paid Administrative Staff should all have good job protection, good pay and benefits, and be happy with their work. Yet, unlike certain IRC 501 (c) (3) organizations, the AMA should, IMO, be held to higher standards than a number of the popular "non-profits" which are managed to be absolutely certain they will always be "non-profit". [:-] You do get my drift, I'm sure.

Right now, I do believe the AMA is - and has been for years - well overburdened with unneeded staff, and far too much attention (dubbed $$$ ) is dedicated to various publishing activities that are really only there to provide a job for someone. Bureaucracy is easily fertilized and grows so very well. [sm=47_47.gif]
Somehow, I think I need a really good briefing before I can buy into the need for 15 Publications personnel while Membership has only 6 actual working people, in that 2 others assigned there would appear better assigned to FACILITIES & MAINTENANCE.

Trent, I have not forgotten your services. So if I am a tad too straight forward, please advise me of such. Again, Thank you for those.

Now our good friend, Mr. Ken, just might be pulling this as off topic. [] I'm making a copy for a new thread if he decides to do so.

Horrace Cain

Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
KidEpoxy

T2
The average prison guard here is pretty close to the same.
I'm not sure I follow your logic.
If you are saying he should make as much as a prison guard,
then you should post how much prison guards in Muncie Indiana make, and say he should make that.
Otherwise, I fail to see your point as to the salary relationship of prison guards and EDs.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Mr. Trent, Yes, IMO, yet it is also a very demanding job. In all the times I have run for AMA office, I have always promoted that the AMA paid Administrative Staff should all have good job protection, good pay and benefits, and be happy with their work. Yet, unlike certain IRC 501 (c) (3) organizations, the AMA should, IMO, be held to higher standards than a number of the popular ''non-profits'' which are managed to be absolutely certain they will always be ''non-profit''. [:-] You do get my drift, I'm sure.

Right now, I do believe the AMA is - and has been for years - well overburdened with unneeded staff, and far too much attention (dubbed $$$ ) is dedicated to various publishing activities that are really only there to provide a job for someone. Bureaucracy is easily fertilized and grows so very well. [sm=47_47.gif]
Somehow, I think I need a really good briefing before I can buy into the need for 15 Publications personnel while Membership has only 6 actual working people, in that 2 others assigned there would appear better assigned to FACILITIES & MAINTENANCE.

Trent, I have not forgotten your services. So if I am a tad too straight forward, please advise me of such. Again, Thank you for those.

Now our good friend, Mr. Ken, just might be pulling this as off topic. [] I'm making a copy for a new thread if he decides to do so.

Horrace Cain

I thought this particular thread was about the ED pay. No doubt there is deadwood that could be trimmed elsewhere, but that is another topic.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

T2
then you should post how much prison guards in Muncie Indiana make, and say he should make that.
Otherwise, I fail to see your point as to the salary relationship of prison guards and EDs.

Point very well made.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

T2
You are reading too much into it, KE - it was merely a frame of reference. Cost of living in Muncie is certainly a factor to consider - as is having to live in Indiana.

Interesting article on the subject at http://www.blueavocado.org/node/563 .
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

Removed by author.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Hossfly

Interesting article on the subject at http://www.blueavocado.org/node/563 .

Trent Combs
Fly 'em until the last piece stops!
That is an excellent article. Just Scanned it but bookmarked it and will certainly get back to it.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The US Parachute Organization, which is a membership group that promotes parachuting in the US, has 32,000 members and pays their ED ~ $121,000. AMA is 4 times larger and pays only a bit more. In the Non-profit world it is all about the size of the organization, number of members or donors, and total budget. Location of the HQ is less important.
I would think the cost of living in an area is a big consideration. Based on your assessment, if a larger member's organization payed their ED less, then the AMA ED is overpaid???

ORIGINAL:

Silent-AV8RBut if people really feel strongly they need to contact their VP and make their ideas known. While Internet forums are great fun, they are not where you are going to get anything done. Contact you VP. Tell him you are unhappy about the salaries paid to the staff.
Yea, right. The standard "sweep under the rug approach" often recommended by those that want to keep things the way it is IMO.

IMO if there are changes to consider within an organization they should be aired as publicly as possible.

Now with all that said, I don't have any idea what is an appropriate salary for the AMA ED but one thing is for sure, having the duly elected AMA president appointed to such a position should not have ever happened...no matter how much we liked him as president... Dang!!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Silent-AV8R

LCS - I know that there is nothing that can be said that will satisfy you, par for the course there. Your bottom line is to let's keep yelling into the Internet vortex because you are not really interested in seeing a change, just in having an argument. Like I said, par for the course.

My wife worked for a fair number of years in management of a non-profit 501 (c)3 organization. It was the foundation for a hospital. My comments are based on her decade of experience working within the management of non-profit groups. Yes, location has a part, but the size of the managed group (members/donors, staff, and assets) is far more important. AMA is a multi-million dollar a year organization with a very large member base and a fair number of employees and assets and property to be managed. Based on everything I know about professional salaries and more specifically non-profit management, I think the ED salary is more than fair. In fact, my wife has told me that the job should pay well into the $200K range and that the AMA is very lucky to find anyone who will work that cheaply. Here's another bit of reality.

Now with all that said, I don't have any idea what is an appropriate salary for the AMA ED but one thing is for sure, having the duly elected AMA president appointed to such a position should not have ever happened...no matter how much we liked him as president... Dang!!!!
I disagree. I think Dave is a perfect choice. He was offered the job after an intensive search. He was not "appointed" or ordained or anything else. Bottom line is that they likely could not find anyone who wanted to live in Muncie and do that job for so little money.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Jim Thomerson

I would have to be offered a bonus to consider working in Muncie. [:-]
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 AM
combatpigg

I guess you gotta be part of the Gravy Train Culture to know what the going rate of these "director jobs" is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.