Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How many would opt out of Model Aviation?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I would opt out of getting MA.
7.62%
I would opt out only if my dues were reduced.
23.33%
I have already opted out and have my copy sent to a library or school
0.46%
I have already had my name removed from the mailing list.
0.23%
I want to get MA each month.
68.36%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

How many would opt out of Model Aviation?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: How many would opt out of Model Aviation?

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

When this poll goes south on the ''I want to opt out of MA'' crowd as sure as day follows night there will be a:

''I want to opt out of the AMA scholarship program''
''I want to opt out of my dues going to competition teams''
''I want to opt out of my dues going toward the AMA field in Muncie
and the big one....................
''I want to opt out of insurance''

Once the precedent is set that you can opt out of a AMA benefit like MA, then where does it stop?

The goal of the few is clear....................... to financially hamstring the AMA.

Brad
I support those other programs,, If I could I'd redirect the $18 for the rag to go to those programs.
I didn't support the building of Taj-ma-Muncie and Don't get me started on the insurance I'll never use,, but I bit those bullets knowing it's a necessary evil to have flying sites.

The argument, that becuse us who don't like the fact we're forced to subscribe to something we don't like makes us automatically apposed to all things AMA, is ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt like it in the old days but I look forward to it now, guess its grown on me?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 AM
bradpaul

As I posted earlier, if an individual member can opt out of an AMA benefit like MA why not let each member pick and choose just what benefits the want and how much they want to pay? Well..... I think any rational person would know why that would never work.

The AMA has a process for change it is through the election of the EC, the EVP and the President. Elect those that share your view (if you can). The usual gang here can't convince even a meaningful number to follow there lead is encouraging ....... when I last looked at the poll only 7% wanted to opt out and only another 17% would if the dues were reduced........... that is a 76% to 24% vote of confidence in the AMA.

Brad
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 AM
KidEpoxy

Encourage?
I have always encouraged those that want to get&payfor the magazine to get the magazine.
Looks like that 76% is taking up my encouragement.
It also looks like the other 24% are also taking up my encouragement
that those that dont want the magazine should not get the magazine.
Of course, only 136 folks voted and there are 135k members.

Thats the beauty of it being OPTIONAL,
those that want it get it and those that want to skip it get to skip it
... win-win everybodys happy cause they get what they want

Kinda demonstrated the falacy of this poll:
I premise that 24% would like to see it optional so they can opt out,
and 76% would like to see it optional so they can opt in

the poll numbers show no data contrary to my premise,
because the poll was setup to either
a) NOT consider who wants a choice to exist but only what they would choose given a choice
or
b) Intentionally constructed with one GetMagazine answer as to falsely imply those that want the magazine are opposed to members having a choice

Of the 76% that want to get the magazine
we have no way of knowing how many favor choice and how many favor forced,
and I doubt that lack of data was accidental
Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

The AMA has a process for change it is through the election of the EC, the EVP and the President. Elect those that share your view (if you can).
Brad
That is probably one of the more useful things about these AMA forums...you can find out the views of some of the potential candidates and which ones are too afraid to even give their thoughts...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The resurgence of the annual anti MA thread. Seems to have come a little late this year.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

The resurgence of the annual anti MA thread. Seems to have come a little late this year.
Just to be clear, I actually use MA as a reason to sell others on AMA. Anti MA doesn't apply to all of us... but some really do have a problem discerning the difference...funny how that occurs so often here.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 AM
cj_rumley

The audit report for Jan posted in the AMA's CFO column, MA Jun 2011, shows revenue from "Open no pub" memberships is about the same as "Park Pilot" and "Youth and youth full" categories combined. Some folks are opting out of the magazine, and the relatively obscure program is generating more income for AMA than the much more touted Youth and PF programs.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

In this age of internet (where you can find 1000x as much info as in a magazine) and recycling, it hardly makes sense to me to force a magazine on everyone. I would drop it in a second if it meant a reduction of dues.

However, given that AMA is making $18 from each of us on the magazine, as well as the fact that they sell ads in it as well... they're never going to give away that source of income. It would be nice if they would spend more of the money on nationwide programs rather than keeping an AMA field at Muncie that only a privileged few will ever even see.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Of the 76% that want to get the magazine
we have no way of knowing how many favor choice and how many favor forced,
and I doubt that lack of data was accidental
KE, why don't you set up your own poll to find out?

The use of the word force kind of has a negative connotation from the get go, or was that your intent?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

KE, why don't you set up your own poll to find out?

The use of the word force kind of has a negative connotation from the get go, or was that your intent?
"The Force" is a technique magicians commonly use...all "choices" are used to their advantage to trick people... so force is not a negative at all...works great...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

And the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA just keeps on a coming, with those very small little complaints, that the poll shows so far are just that. The majority speaks, the minority cries as usual. Its not about those little minority complainers who complain about this or that. The Majority says we want it, so it stays. If $18.00 is what your complaining about, thats a little over 1 dollar a month, and we are getting about $50 worth of complaining here. Go fly and quit complaining. You will save money in the long run. Plus most of us are just plain tired of the complainers, whiners, and people who think only of themselves. If you dont like it, go somewhere else and play and leave the rest of us in PEACE!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: vpresley

If you dont like it, go somewhere else and play and leave the rest of us in PEACE!
And you could do them same... I am a paying member of RCU... Are you??? Seems you are one of those doing the crying to me!

Now what?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Oly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the magazine. It's fun to read about and keep up with all aspects of model airplanes. Model Aviation magazine is already optional, so I don't understand why all the discussion??

Oly
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
KidEpoxy

Splice
However, given that AMA is making $18 from each of us on the magazine, as well as the fact that they sell ads in it as well... they're never going to give away that source of income.
Havent you been reading the stuff the Forcers say,
according to them, not hardly anyone will opt out if we had the choice,
so obviously there will be a pretty much negligible effect on the advertizing and Graytex$18 revenue.

Of course,
if they are wrong about that,
and it turns out tens of thousands check the $40 Open box rather than the $58 Open w/Mag box,
then that would indeed have an effect on revenues
.... the trick in that case is to just not notice that it is something that tens of thousands of members want
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM
bradpaul

ORIGINAL: vpresley

And the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA just keeps on a coming, with those very small little complaints, that the poll shows so far are just that. The majority speaks, the minority cries as usual. Its not about those little minority complainers who complain about this or that. The Majority says we want it, so it stays. If $18.00 is what your complaining about, thats a little over 1 dollar a month, and we are getting about $50 worth of complaining here. Go fly and quit complaining. You will save money in the long run. Plus most of us are just plain tired of the complainers, whiners, and people who think only of themselves. If you dont like it, go somewhere else and play and leave the rest of us in PEACE!
+1

Brad
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 AM
KidEpoxy

VP
The Majority says we want it, so it stays.
when was this ever a Stays Or Goes thing?

The 75% that want to get the magazine are for it staying,
and the 25% that dont want to get the magazine are also for it staying.
The way I read the poll,
100% are for it not going away as it becomes optional to get it or skip it.
I see no data in the poll numbers that contradict this.

who said the magazine will somehow not-stay if it becomes optional,
for indeed one of those options is to continue getting the magazine with no changes from right now

Seems the 'waaaa' is coming from someone that is afraid of something nobody said in this thread.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

If I knew how to permanently opt out of the Model Aviation magazine I would do so, it would be one less piece of junk mail that I would have to throw away.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, this is starting to get a bit out of control. I've just removed a group of posts that were out of line. This thread is simply asking if people would opt out of the magazine. And that is all this thread should be about. Attacking those that have a differeing viewpoint, or taunting them as well, is completely out of line and has no place here. Let's keep the discussion civil here guys.

Thanks

Ken
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Pretty poor debating skills to when you have no facts to argue the point then just attack the opposition with name calling. Us who are opposed to getting the Mag have given clear reasons in both threads in a respectful way. Those that don't want to have the debate in the first place I think know without this forced subscription base the magazine as we know it would go away.

Or I'd more hope would get better and attract the readership back. But so long as the Mag has a locked in subscribership, they have nothing to fear like a stand alone publication would.

Even if you call the cup mostly full, 25% is a significant percentage to crush the notion it's just a few complainers. An AMA Member Wide Poll sure would be interesting to see
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
KidEpoxy

An AMA Member Wide Poll sure would be interesting to see
That poll is very easy to take... for Muncie that is.
They already have a checkbox on the renewal for something like
o Please bill me 4 extra dollars to get a protective covering with MA inside
all they have to do is put another checkbox on the renewal that says
o If Available, bill me 18 fewer dollars and unsubscribe me from MA

presto
the hundred thousand folks that renew will either check it or they wont

the question is
what will muncie do with the count of how many want to skip the magazine:
How many folks will it take before they offer it... 10k? 20k? 50k?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: CESSNA 421

If I knew how to permanently opt out of the Model Aviation magazine I would do so, it would be one less piece of junk mail that I would have to throw away.
See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8612720 All you have to do is call or e-mail.

Also: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8621938

Be sure and ask for confirmation by e-mail so you can post it here and let us know you have been properly taken care off.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, at this point 7% would opt out... and another 20% if the dues were reduced.... that is significant but the sample is small less than 200. 27% is significant dissatisfaction with the publication.

The single and only reason I am an AMA member is because my club requires it for membership. If AMA is going to offer insurance, it should be primary insurance for this activity. nuff said.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

I would respectfully disagree with all of your assertions OYS. The majority also would disagree, as evidenced by the results of the POLL. The MAJORITY SPEAKS! The MINORITY well you know what they do, dont you.

They are saying what the poll asked, by their vote. Pretty simple.

Vince AMA 7051
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
bradpaul

Well, at this point 7% would opt out... and another 20% if the dues were reduced.... that is significant but the sample is small less than 200. 27% is significant dissatisfaction with the publication.

The single and only reason I am an AMA member is because my club requires it for membership. If AMA is going to offer insurance, it should be primary insurance for this activity. nuff said.

So save more money then the $18.00 in your dues for MA.......... cancel your homeowners and VOILA AMA is primary.

Brad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.