Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How many would opt out of Model Aviation?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I would opt out of getting MA.
7.62%
I would opt out only if my dues were reduced.
23.33%
I have already opted out and have my copy sent to a library or school
0.46%
I have already had my name removed from the mailing list.
0.23%
I want to get MA each month.
68.36%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

How many would opt out of Model Aviation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many would opt out of Model Aviation?

Sorry, a very high percentage of your dues are for AMA salaries and benefits ... in the millions of dollars .... and, when the magazine was made mandatory back in the 70s, the dues reduction to "not get it" was $4. That was another time of course, and dues were half of what they are now. The magazine took the place of a 4-8 page newsletter, and AMA buying it supported the AMA's buddies at the time. That's my best recollection, sad but true. No bone to pick here, just trying to add a few facts.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

I vote to keep the magainze. I'm fairly new to the hobby 3-4 years, and I keep learning new stuff from it all the time. The only magazine I think is better is RC Sport Flyer.

I'm pretty comfortable with their program lineup, and I wouldn't be in favor of an a la carte membership option list.

My club uses MA to advertise programs, and I know we get folks from other clubs at our events from it so somebody reads it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield
The question I have for those 70 or so % that are happy to receive the Magazine,, If AMA did offer a $40 (no Mag) membership to us 30%, would you pick up the slack to get the mag by collectively paying more, say $62-$63/month??? If you really had a choice,, I'm guessing the majority would swing to the cheaper No mag option.
Non sequitur !
How do you figure they would make up for lost revenue then?,,, There are many fixed costs that don't go down with distribution and as subscriptions went down so would advertising revenue. The cost per issue surely would go up,,
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I could see the magazine going online only...

Nobody is ever going to see a discounted rate , for declining the mag. In fact lets be honest, we will be lucky if the dues don't go up dramatically like EVERYTHING ELSE.

I hate spending the money on dues ..like most ... but I seldom even fly and I still spend way more on glue and supplies ...
Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM
harve28

Why bother with ama anyway. Our flying group was told to start a flying club so we would have ins. Before we could fly there anymore we done all that, then official came to site and said we were not allowed to fly on airport. We ,several of us have thousands tied up in planes. We have flown on the same site for 20 yrs. and tried to do the right thing and got penalized for it so why bother i will keep me dues.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 PM
harve28

One more thing! Why pay dues when your reduced to foamies! 3-4 oz foamies wow thats exciting!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

So, all costs = $1,655,029
Income = $820,339
Net cost = $834,690

139,515 members charged $18 = $2,511,270

For a net gain on MA of $1,676,580 (roughly)

If the insurance is only $971,280 then our $40 X 139515 members (roughly) is generating $5,580,600 - $971,280 = $4,609,320 extra income.

So that gives our association $6.25 Million with which to operate. 

It doesn't matter if they charge $2 for the magazine and $56 for the rest of your "membership with insurance" or how they chose to slice it.  That's what's generated on a rough-cut approach.   So, is that worth it or not to you individually... that's the real question?  Who cares how much the magazine is priced... you're going to pay what the AMA deems necessary to carry on with their business.  Now, if you can get the salary information and that's out of line... you have room to complain.  Otherwise, you have your elected representatives that are supposed to looking out for our better interests watching over the staff... If you don't like the oversight they are providing... vote the dogs out and put in new dogs.

It would be interesting to see how much is spent on Muncie?  How much is spent on the Museum? How much on Legislative actions and political manoeuvrings?  I would also like to see how much they spend flying all the volunteers and staff around to visit trade shows and "events".  

Then we would have a better idea of what we are getting for our $$$.  It's all to opaque right now to see what's really happening.  So, either your a support or not, but either way, it's not based on hard numbers right now.

Perhaps we can get them to do a "Here's what you are getting for your $" and outline all the revenues and expenses in a way that makes sense.

In sum: If you don't like the way it is.. vote for a change in your district. 

Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
warbird addict

Contrary to popular conspiracy theory, ama participation unlike federal taxes is not mandatory, if anybody is that upset about the MEASLEY $18 that goes for the mag , the solution is quite simple don't join the AMA and make your voice heard that way, otherwise suck it up , stop bellyaching and show some appreciation for the ONLY organization that constantly goes to bat for you and show them atleast a fraction of the support they show you in return for their efforts and stop peeing your pamper over an insignificant $18
b-4 somebody gives ya a wedgie and takes ur lunch money on ur way home from kindergarten

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Frank-

Earlier-
When you see 70% want to get the magazine,
can you tell me what % of that 70 are saying
i) I like getting/payingfor the magazine and dont care what others do
ii) I like forcing everyone to get/payfor the magazine regardless if they want to pay/get it

I'm one of those 72%. I'll pick (i) in your sub-poll, see there is always a choice. I receive several membership magazines from a number of organizations and MA is the one I look most forward to. I can't think of any membership organizations that do not have a newsletter/magazine. Can you name any that don't?

Regards
Contrary to popular conspiracy theory, ama participation unlike federal taxes is not mandatory, if anybody is that upset about the MEASLEY $18 that goes for the mag , the solution is quite simple don't join the AMA and make your voice heard that way, otherwise suck it up , stop bellyaching and show some appreciation for the ONLY organization that constantly goes to bat for you and show them atleast a fraction of the support they show you in return for their efforts and stop peeing your pamper over an insignificant $18
b-4 somebody gives ya a wedgie and takes ur lunch money on ur way home from kindergarten

Frank
You did a wonderful job of explaining why you like the magazine, and would choose to continue to get&pay it. Great, obviously you would choose Reds polls selection that you want the magazine.
Optional MA would work just great for you: You opt to continue to get&pay for it no changes for you

What you didnt explain is why you feel that just because YOU like it and want to get&pay it,
therefore all others members must be foreced to get&pay it, even those that dont want to get&pay it.

If you want the name of the 501c that doesnt mandate their magazine mailed,
ask Able P for first person data on the one he is in that dont (iirc it was a rocket org i think)

why are we having to repeat the debunking of magazine myths
that have been debunked to death over the years.
Cant folks just stop using the debunked myths and come up with decent points to support their agenda
so we dont have YET ANOTHER thread where folks post myths as fact and others have to again debunk them
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
KidEpoxy

LongB
If you havent gotten copies of the annual report pdfs from the AMA web site,
I think you should... you sound like the kind of guy that would like the hard numbers from first hand sources

If you cannot locate the annual reports online,
contact someone in your District (AVP/DVP) and ask them for help getting it

ScaleO4M,
When there was more members (170), MA cost was around $2m.
The trend as we lost members (140) was that MA cost has dropped to $1.6m.
One could make the observation that there is less MA cost when you have fewer members getting the mag
Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Warbird Addict,, thanks, you changed my mind,, I love the mag Now
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Warbird Addict,, thanks, you changed my mind,, I love the mag Now
He changed my mine too... now I hate the magazine...Darn!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM
scubajohn

every field i have ever been to reqiers an ama card if i live near a feild and fly there they want dues money also when i go to a out of town field i fly for free because of my ama card. that said. this sport /hobby cost money the landing gear alone for corsair  $400 the engine about the same my point is its expensive to fly rc. i dont use my house insurance but every year i pay 1500 so what is the big deal? back in the 80s i saw a guy get hit by a model broke his arm also heard about a guy killed by a hit to the chest so the insurance is worth it. as for the mag i like it and pass it on as one guy posted he got one and a free fliight on a traioner box and joined our hobby so why the big fuss i am not trying to address anyone just saying my 2cents  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 PM
KidEpoxy

Scuba
How would any of that change if MA was optional, and you opted to get the magazine?

Would you no longer be flying for free at other clubs?
Would your club no longer require an AMA card and dues?
Would you pay a different amount for gear and engines?
Would you no longer have AMA insurance for some reason?
Would you no longer pass on your copy or you stop promoting the hobby?

How would ANY of what you were talking about change
if some other AMA members opted out of the magazine while you continued to opted in.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
scubajohn

just wondering why the big deal over 18 bucks  i vote opt in sorry about the thread drift
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
scubajohn

warbird i could not agree with you more
ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Frank-

Earlier-
When you see 70% want to get the magazine,
can you tell me what % of that 70 are saying
i) I like getting/payingfor the magazine and dont care what others do
ii) I like forcing everyone to get/payfor the magazine regardless if they want to pay/get it

I'm one of those 72%. I'll pick (i) in your sub-poll, see there is always a choice. I receive several membership magazines from a number of organizations and MA is the one I look most forward to. I can't think of any membership organizations that do not have a newsletter/magazine. Can you name any that don't?

Regards

Frank
You did a wonderful job of explaining why you like the magazine, and would choose to continue to get&pay it. Great, obviously you would choose Reds polls selection that you want the magazine.
Optional MA would work just great for you: You opt to continue to get&pay for it no changes for you

What you didnt explain is why you feel that just because YOU like it and want to get&pay it,
therefore all others members must be foreced to get&pay it, even those that dont want to get&pay it.

If you want the name of the 501c that doesnt mandate their magazine mailed,
ask Able P for first person data on the one he is in that dont (iirc it was a rocket org i think)

why are we having to repeat the debunking of magazine myths
that have been debunked to death over the years.
Cant folks just stop using the debunked myths and come up with decent points to support their agenda
so we dont have YET ANOTHER thread where folks post myths as fact and others have to again debunk them
Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 PM
scubajohn

Scuba
How would any of that change if MA was optional, and you opted to get the magazine?

if some other AMA members opted out of the magazine while you continued to opted in.
since you asked i did not see that option in the poll all the options started with I meaning me. now if they had one that said iget my mag and every one else can do what they want i would have picked it and i still dont care about the 18 bucks

7% (24)
dont work for me i dont get mag
20% (63)
dont work for me i dont get mag i am cool with the 18 bucks
0% (2)
0% (0)
71% (220)
this one i picked i get my mag

Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I did was quote the results at the time of my post... so you are disagreeing with the results??? Take that up with the voters... 27% willing to ditch the magazine is significant. Funny thing about minorities, sometimes they become majorities overnight.

And I did not have to be nasty to disagree with you.

ORIGINAL: vpresley

I would respectfully disagree with all of your assertions OYS. The majority also would disagree, as evidenced by the results of the POLL. The MAJORITY SPEAKS! The MINORITY well you know what they do, dont you.

They are saying what the poll asked, by their vote. Pretty simple.

Vince AMA 7051
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ScaleO4M,
When there was more members (170), MA cost was around $2m.
The trend as we lost members (140) was that MA cost has dropped to $1.6m.
One could make the observation that there is less MA cost when you have fewer members getting the mag

Been there. I can tell you this based on my personal experience. There is a fixed cost and a variable cost in doing a publication. The cost that is obviously variable drops by reducing the quantity. For example, the cost to print each mag, plus the postage are obviously variable. But the biggest expense is creating the magazine. And that cost is fixed. So, I can safely say that if you reduce in (for example) a 25% your number of recipients, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO REDUCE IN A 25% YOUR COST.

Also, you cannot assume that the 400K reduction in cost was exclusively because of the reduction in number (the number did play a important role, granted). Some other costs could have gone down (or up).

Printing and mailing accounts for a lot of money. One of my professional organizations changed from paper to electronic delivery. You can save a lot of money, but I can tell you a lot of people (the majority) prefer paper media (me included). I work long hours at my workstation, I like to read in a couch, lawn lounge, or bed. I like to read while I travel, etc...

The result indicates clearly, that most people want to keep the magazine, so it is a safe bet to say that we will have AMA magazine for years to come:-)

Gerry

Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 AM
KidEpoxy

Gerry
For example, the cost to print each mag, plus the postage are obviously variable. But the biggest expense is creating the magazine. And that cost is fixed.
Where do you see that in the report?
You say the biggest cost is creating the magazine, but looking at the AMA's numbers we just dont see that:

2009 Model Aviation direct costs 1,617,965
breaking down some of the $1.6mil magazine costs:
AdCommissions 119,219
Advrt printing 315,387
Advrt Postage 156,188
...and some non-ad costs
Printing 535,485
Mailing 417,040
... and the Editorial Costs:
Articles Plans Pictures 24,005
Monthly Columnist 38,500
Editorial Drafting 300

Nope, when of the $1.62mil "cost", $1.55 of it is used in just Advertising, Printing, and Mailing,
I just dont see the wee sliver of the pie that is left as being "biggest expense is creating the magazine"
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Dr.Tim
My Feedback: (1)

I was just doing a little reading ... it appears if you are a Sponsored Pilot or doing a flight Demo that it is Commercial Use and you are NOT covored by the AMA .. Since I Own Approach Engineering and Fly for Starwood Scale Models it would appear that the Insurance I pay for is worthless ... Although I do enjoy the Magazine Makes me wonder what is next? Are Reps no covered as well? If so then a vast majority of us RC Pilots are NOT COVERED and are paying for something we will never receive ... Food For thought!

Dr.Tim
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: scubajohn

Scuba

since you asked i did not see that option in the poll all the options started with I meaning me. now if they had one that said i get my mag and every one else can do what they want i would have picked it and i still dont care about the 18 bucks [img][/img]

[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] 7% (24)
[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] 20% (63)
dont work for me i dont get mag i am cool with the 18 bucks
[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] 0% (2)
[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] 0% (0)
[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] 71% (220)
this one i picked i get my mag

Scuba,

You should consider that this poll was formulated by a paid MA columnist. With that considered it may give ample insight as to why the "opt out" choices were watered down by four separate categories.

This poll was engineered only to cause conflicts here in the RCU forum IMO... The OP is in record as having great disdain for RCU, its owners and this forum...it really shouldn't be a surprise for anyone but I guess someone could have just not known. Just a heads up...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 AM
rcjake

A gallon of fuel or a monthly model magazine? I would much rather have the magazine. After I am done with it, it gets donated to a school or library so others can view it.

Jake
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the poll is a real figure and most ama members want the mag .Only a few here want a cheaper ama fee and would like to get rid of the mag . I have been getting my ama mag for a long time and it looks like i will get it till i die. I enjoy looking at all of the mag and the dates of ama giant scale meets and water funflys in my state IL and IN Plus some other meets i attend every year. I dont know why people cant leave something that is working alone . joe
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

To calculate the real $ amount You need to find out how many pay the extra $18 each year,, many members don't pay annually for it or receive the mag at all, some are life members, some are youth in same household, etc.
Life membership is $1500, an annuity that would cover the magazine for over 40 years at 2.5% interest. Youth members in the same househould do not get a copy.

The question I have for those 70 or so % that are happy to receive the Magazine,, If AMA did offer a $40 (no Mag) membership to us 30%, would you pick up the slack to get the mag by collectively paying more, say $62-$63/month??? If you really had a choice,, I'm guessing the majority would swing to the cheaper No mag option.
Non sequitur !

Red, Red, Red,

What did you do to be allowed back in here? Must not have been signed in blood, because already you are stirring the pot. Who elses business have you been conducting? I was just down for Top Gun, and when I went by the Newberry exit on I-75, I thought about stopping in for a visit. Didn't want to give you a heart attack though.

Y'all see the new Red? Same as the old Red. Stirring the pot every chance he gets. The only thing constant is that the old dog don't change his spots.

Bill, Bottom Feeder #1
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gerry
For example, the cost to print each mag, plus the postage are obviously variable. But the biggest expense is creating the magazine. And that cost is fixed.
Where do you see that in the report?
You say the biggest cost is creating the magazine, but looking at the AMA's numbers we just dont see that:

2009 Model Aviation direct costs 1,617,965
breaking down some of the $1.6mil magazine costs:
AdCommissions 119,219
Advrt printing 315,387
Advrt Postage 156,188
...and some non-ad costs
Printing 535,485
Mailing 417,040
... and the Editorial Costs:
Articles Plans Pictures 24,005
Monthly Columnist 38,500
Editorial Drafting 300

Nope, when of the $1.62mil ''cost'', $1.55 of it is used in just Advertising, Printing, and Mailing,
I just dont see the wee sliver of the pie that is left as being ''biggest expense is creating the magazine''
You have to read my post again. My experience is with the publication of professional organizations magazines. You have to understand that if you create a magazine (or any publication, really) if you will print one copy or 130,000 the cost to create that manual or magazine, or whatever document still is the same... That cost is fixed, and independent from the mailing and the printing.

Looking at your numbers one can see why they try to push electronic media magazines... They could save $950,000 using electronic media publishing. I wonder what the heck is Advt. Printing and Adv Postage (470K) And what in the world is AdCommisions?

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.