Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Local hobby shop want to teach at our field

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Local hobby shop want to teach at our field

Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Local hobby shop want to teach at our field

The post by harleydoberman is about the near whole truth I have found on any of these froums. He talks about hobby shops in truth. He talks about clubs in truth. More of that truth would be from the guys that give up their time to teach. It is agreed that some instructors are not the most likeable people in the world. However some students are not that great. We all have our stories about both instructors and students. Heck, there is people that have taught people how to fly. These students have went on to be "HERO FLYERS" and will not even take time to speak or even admit they were taught by a old instructor. Some instuctors are hero flyers and fly anything. Most are just people that share the fun of model aviation with others. The same reason that people like harley open a hobby shop.
Perhaps harleydoberman was to be asked. He would tell you there is more right with this sport than there is wrong. Reading some of these forums, it would lead people to think that is not the case.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 AM
KidEpoxy

EveanRCU
and decided to allow the store owner to use either field as long as he complies with the introductory pilot program.
Good.
Glad to hear you figured out a solution to the business pursuit insurance problem.

btw,
what solution to that did you find to that,
or is the solution just to ignore the possible voiding of AMA insurance by business pursuits
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem Solved:

Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

EveanRCU
and decided to allow the store owner to use either field as long as he complies with the introductory pilot program.
Good.
Glad to hear you figured out a solution to the business pursuit insurance problem.

btw,
what solution to that did you find to that,
or is the solution just to ignore the possible voiding of AMA insurance by business pursuits
As Evan posted, there was a meeting with all parties involved, including contact with AMA; The details were/are not for public purvue or armchair quarterbacking and second guessing. The insurance and liability questions and issues have been answered and taken care of to the satisfaction of all involved. That includes the city Parks and Rec Dept, Charlotte Motor Speedway et al, the club, the LHS, AMA and any individuals participating.

KE, Why does it seem that at some point you always question the integrity of almost everyone in nearly every thread you visit? You have so much good to contribute that's worthwhile when you're being constructive..why the downers?
"Moriarty, you really have to stop with these negative waves, baby!"
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
KenP
My Feedback: (1)

frets24,

What I don't get is why the terms and conditions are hidden, seems if a workable solution was created that would be model to follow for anyone else that wants to go this route. Do you know if there is a plan by the AMA to formalize a setup like this or was this just a customized one off solution.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
KidEpoxy

Frets
KE, Why does it seem that at some point you always question the integrity of almost everyone in nearly every thread you visit? You have so much good to contribute that's worthwhile when you're being constructive..why the downers?
"Moriarty, you really have to stop with these negative waves, baby!"
integrity?
negative???

I was the one that was working on a way to solve the UninsuredBusinessFlying problem.
Then we hear they got a solution to that better than what I offered
... do you have any idea what their better solution to the UninsuredBusinessFlying problem is?

I was just asking so we can share that solution
because this is something we would love to see more of at AMA fields
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Apologies KE, It just struck me that way yesterday...was having trouble with seeing the bright side of life myself....all good now. focus on my comments about your good qualities and contributions

KE and Ken, The scuttlebutt at the field is just that...scuttlebutt, rumors, innuendo, hearsay and speculation. Evan may comment further. I think (somewhat informed speculation only)LHS's business liability/private business ins. may be the heart of it though, along with AMA's coverage of a member student.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
KenP
My Feedback: (1)

frets24
OK that makes sense, would be nice to know (officially) if what was agreed upon could be repeated.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike in DC

I don't see a mystery. It sounds like the AMA agreed that the Introductory Pilot description fit this situation better than the "commercial instruction" description. Since the guy wasn't charging for instruction, it sounds like despite the litigious society, common sense prevailed.

Personally, I think they should just require the student to get the three month introductory AMA membership. If you can't risk $29 this hobby/sport is not right for you anyway. $29 is about what it costs for a couple to go to the movies, and they might not like the movie.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM
KidEpoxy

Mike
since the guy wasn't charging for instruction, it sounds like despite the litigious society, common sense prevailed.
did you miss the whole Unpaid Sales Demo discussoin,
and the AMAs answer by Ilona regarding unpaid demo flight on behalf of a business:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/forums/fb.ashx?m=13011
Generally, when we receive inquiries regarding sponsored (non-employed) pilots doing demo flights for manufacturers/distributors, we advise that they should not rely on AMA coverage. We cannot guarantee that the policy would respond and
wow, kinda blows the Unpaid Is Ok theory outta the water

Mike, when you say
It sounds like the AMA agreed that the
where did you see that the AMA gave the answer you are finding they gave?

What I read
was that a local club decided to do something,
they didnt say Muncie provided any direct answer supporting that action.
Of course, it may be that muncie did and the club simply hasnt given us that detail of their solution
... hmmm, thought I asked them to provide the details of their solution.

Mike, why on earth would the club require outside insurance,
if you are correct that muncie dont see this as a business activity and therefor will insure it?
It would be silly to require a guy carry a second insurance for something AMA insures