Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Local hobby shop want to teach at our field

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Local hobby shop want to teach at our field

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Local hobby shop want to teach at our field

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

A trip and fall by student's family member is no different from any other spectator wrt club liability insurance.
no, dont do that to the poor fallen person...
dont you remember the petard-foisting that happened to the last spectator that was hit by a rc plane

speaking of which,
should all them folks that waved the AssumedRisk banner last time
be here saying the same they said then,
or is the AssumedRisk card only played against folks they dont like

Its up to the club
if they want to allow sales demos or flight instruction or whatever other non-AMA-insured commercial activities.
Ms Maine at Muncie summed that up nicely.

Heck, just call it a demo flight retro-applied to the sale
The assumed risk thing............interesting to ponder. If the student is an AMA member it is more likely that a court would find that he knew the risks inherent in flying model airplanes and made an informed decision to participate despite that risk. Is he better off as to protecting himself by being a non-member?

As for the part of my post you quoted, it could use some qualifying info to properly assess advantage/disadvantage if the situation changed and the trainee was an AMA member. If that were the case, a claim for injury to the hypothetical child would be rejected by by AMA if it was at fault of his/her father (the student), as the AMA liability insurance excludes family members from the insured's coverage.

Then there's the part in the apoplectic fit Mr. LM/EX AVP had over lack of insurance when the student is making a 2nd, ...nth flight on the buddy box, apparently because it violates some petty AMA rule. Fact is, the non-member on the buddy box is never covered by AMA insurance, and that includes the allowed one-time-only introductory flight. So what's diff between flight #1 and flight #10?

I wonder if he ever cracked open the insurance policy..............
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
bipe II
My Feedback: (25)

"THOUGHT FOR FLIGHT"
Evan,
Your local hobby shop owner maybe realizing he needs to be more involved in the hobby to have a successful business. Being that said, if your club has a ongoing training program that he could be a part of then maybe it could work for him and your club. Our club of a 150 members has a regimented training program. We Leese our flying site from the US Government and a stipulation in the Leese requires us to have a certain amount of insurance. AMA meets our needs for the insurance requirement. We have Incorporated AMA rules and some club rules in our flight training program. An authorized flight trainer must be qualified and signed off on by our Trainer Coordinator. Not only does a new student need to learn to fly he also needs to know AMA rules and your club rules, flight boundaries, and pilot etiquette to insure a safe and fun place to fly. Don't know how big your club is but, a club our size stays healthy with a training program that is run with strict guidelines for the trainers and the student pilots. Most of the students go on to be excellent pilots and great club members. We usually need 4 or 5 instructors at any given time and if we didn't need that many our club would slowly shrink in size. I am the past president of this club and still active in our club in any manor that I can benefit the members. I am also one of the flight instructors and associate Training coordinator for our club. Bottom line is that if he is qualified to be an instructor and your club has some type of training program in place then this situation should benefit both parties. Our training program can be downloaded off our website if you would like to take a look at it. (rrcc.org) I hope this has been of some help to your question.
Happy flying,
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan,

I've noticed that our Park Pass/ Membership sheet posted on the board has gotten shorter over the past few years...I think it would be great to expand our membership in any way possible. If this is one of the avenues by which we can do so then it seems that all viable routes to getting something worked out should be pursued.

It would be worth while exploring the liability insurance coverage that the LHS owner has in association with his shop currently. It may be that he would be covered by his private insurance already if he is conducting the flight training under the auspices of his business. If not, he should be able to get a limited liability rider to his store policy to augment or cover anything that the AMA may not cover at a minimal cost. I spoke with a family member who is in commercial insurance underwriting and it sounds like the profits from 3-5 medium foamies/arf would cover a small rider or policy expansion(if he were in Detroit anyway). Dual or layered coverage is never a bad thing in any case.

Hope this works out. It could be a good thing all around. Potential for some new members, more people in the hobby and if some of the guys at the field get to know the LHS owner it could bring a few more folks through his doors as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM
KidEpoxy

Oh, heres an idea
Why dont the LHS owner teach folks How To Fly with a plane other then the shiny new expensive (likely fragile) one they bought,
and while many have already assumed lessons would be on a provided buddy trainer,
why not teach them on a smaller, slower, foamier, electricker plane
... maybe one that only goes 60mph and is less than 2lb.

Then they can get an entire year of club-happy insurance for just $29,
so they can learn How To Fly, a skill which they can then use to fly their own expensive big plane on their own
(or maybe go full Open AMA to fly the big plane at the club... 29 then later upgrade by paying the difference)
Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the LHS guy is doing the club a great service. He see the new "flyers" and keeps their intrest alive long enough to get them to the clubs field. If the "only one flight" rule is a problem, then after the first flight, introduce them to the club instructors and have the club offer to continue the training. Its a win win if you ask me.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Evan,
You did not mention it, but another issue you will have to consider is whether your club is located on aminicapl property or proerty owned by someone else. Some contracts forbid commercial ventures on these types of proerty, and in the eyes of the law, this is a commercial venture since the LHS owner is in reality trying to establish and grow his business. We had a similar situation here and someone complained about this to the municipality who governs the land where the local club is located. It is more than just AMA membership that has to be considered.

In an effort to address this issue the club allows all newbies one free year of membership if they will join the AMA. The LHS owner then was free to teach all he wanted since he was also a member of the club. Everytime someone come in to buy a plane he would refer them to the club. The club gained from this and got several new members. We would alos hold a buddybox day occasionally and he would advertise at the LHS and people who were interested would drop by and try their hand at flying and if they liked it would end up going back to the LHS and buy a plane. The LHS was a very active member of the club and a great asset to our community until he was tragically killed in a plane crash. The effect it had on the local community was staggering. Sadly, the LHS is no longer in existence.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 AM
KidEpoxy

Doc
First you establish that it is
"a commercial venture since the LHS owner is in reality trying to establish and grow his business"

then you completely dismiss that proiblem and offer a solution
where folks join(pay) AMA but then have to fly uninsured by mucie because,
as you just pointed out in no unclear terms,
this is in reality a commercial activity not the CasualSomesuch that Hoss gave the details on

If a solution ends up with it being permitted by, but not insured by, AMA...
there is a far easier way to get that result:
Do nothing, just get the local clubs permission to fly there uninsured by AMA
(which is the same as them all joining AMA and taking part in commercial activities)
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 AM
DocYates

When the guy is out there teaching or trying to introduce new students to the planes, so he can sell them, it defintely looks like a commercial venture. When he is also a member of the club, heling to teach club members it can be argued differently.

Forgive me KE for trying to help the fellow with a soultion instead of browbeating the AMA and the club. I am not going to argue with you about it, I simply told him our club's solution to the problem which was fine with the local government who owned the landfill.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:39 AM
KidEpoxy

Doc
your posts are far more helpful than most.
While many folks believe clubs cant let folks fly uninsured,
or shy away from even asking if clubs can let uninsured folks fly,
you tell us about your club letting folk fly without AMA insurance coverage(commercial).

Attn Folks:
Yes!
It can be done, clubs already do it.
Just look at Docs club.
As I said at the start of this thread, the club simply allows it to happen and Muncie is not a part of it
Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 AM
DocYates

Where did I say this? I said they get a free years membership in the club if they join the AMA.
On the days we have (had) the buddy box days, people could come by and try their hand at flying the buddy box for one flight, which is something the AMA allows.
I don't think I said anywhere that the club, on a city owned ladfill, was allowing people to fly without insurance.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

In an effort to address this issue the club allows all newbies one free year of membership if they will join the AMA. The LHS owner then was free to teach all he wanted since he was also a member of the club.
This is what the Kid basis his response on... Re-read and you may see what he is getting at too.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 AM
TimJ

Kid Epoxy, leave this thread alone. I know it must burn you that people are trying to help each other out. Step away from your keyboard and resist the urge to pound on it.

Having a LHS willing to be active will benefit everyone. The owner will have a closer relationship with customers and know what to keep on the shelf. The club will gain new members. The club may also gain a sponsor for its events.

The framework is there, just do it!.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: TimJ

Kid Epoxy, leave this thread alone. I know it must burn you that people are trying to help each other out. Step away from your keyboard and resist the urge to pound on it.

Having a LHS willing to be active will benefit everyone. The owner will have a closer relationship with customers and know what to keep on the shelf. The club will gain new members. The club may also gain a sponsor for its events.

The framework is there, just do it!.
Sometimes I wonder if we are actually reading the same thread. The Kid is very receptive to people helping each other out. He simply points contradicting perspectives based on the same set of facts...usually by very the same person!

Just depends on what side of their mouth they are talking out of I guess...LOL
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Evan,
You did not mention it, but another issue you will have to consider is whether your club is located on aminicapl property or proerty owned by someone else. ...........

The club is based out of a city Parks and Recreation Dept owned, Club managed field with a second flying site located on the grounds of Charlotte Motor Speedway. Evan will have a better answer as to the contract and legalities of the contracts. It's my understanding that the LHS is only interested in the Parks and Rec field.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 AM
KidEpoxy

Tim
Leave KidEpoxy alone, he is trying to get the most folks he can to fly model airplanes.
Read post 1 again.
He wants to know muncies stand... well thats easy
Muncie will let you do it, but muncie wont insure it.

So why harsh me for suggesting the simplest solution
that has the same results as any complex costly solution

Tim,
Its really a matter of 4 concerns:
1) What does muncie forbid
2) What will the local club choose to allow
3) What does the landowner require from the club, and from each pilot
4) What does muncie insure

#1 is easy, Muncie does allow it
#4 is easy, mucie dont insure commercial activities... Doc hath declared it part of his selling business

#3 can get ugly:
If the local landowner has an insurance requirement,
and we know muncie dont insure commercial instruction (even member-member commercial instruction)
then there really is no need to discuss this subject anymore... DOA

#2 is the hardest one. That is where we have to convince local club folks to believe what muncie has published in writing over the decades of hearsay and dogma of 'word-of-mouth AMA rules' . Folks are constantly posting here about AMA rules they know(heard) and find out there actually aint no such AMA rule. But we have to convince the local club to not forbid what muncie dont forbid
... and that is the hard part

Dont harsh me for trying to get the most folks I can to fly model airplanes,
even if it doesnt coincide with other folks trying to get the most folks they can into AMA
(even by requiring insurance that dont actually cover the commercial activity)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 AM
bipe II

Kid Epokie,
You may have tunnel vision, try to help this club out with some constructive advice, instead of bashing AMA and Muncie. This can and should be a win win for both the club and the local hobby shop owner. It can and does work with many clubs. Take a step back in time and remember when you were new and thinking about getting in this great hobby.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM
DocYates

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

#4 is easy, mucie dont insure commercial activities... Doc hath declared it part of his selling business

Nice gig at me, I may not be able to function for the rest of day, worried over your assessment of me. Well, I guess my law degree is worth about as much as yours........in reality there is no way that an insurance company would not use this clause to their benefit in the event of an accident. To assume otherwise is being foolish. They did not write these types of things into the policy for no reason.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 AM
KidEpoxy

You may have tunnel vision, try to help this club out with some constructive advice, instead of bashing AMA and Muncie
I started with helpful advice

I suggested the $0 Zero Hassle way to have non-ama-insured commercial flight instruction at the club,
while others are suggesting expensive buracratic ways to have non-ama-insured commercial flight instruction there

I'm want bashing them, I was offering a better solution... even on page1.
Seems the only bashing I see
is folks harshing me for trying to give the OP the better option.

If you want to see folks try to help out,
can you see any way around the No Commercial ama insurance requirement that kills this?
I found one, and that is to do it anyway
.... what other solution to THAT deal killler has been presented so far?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM
KidEpoxy

Doc
that wanst a shot at you.
Folks want to not believe what I post, just because it was me posting it.
So I used you as an authoritative (aka Not AntiAMA) voice
Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 AM
bipe II

Did you read my first post and some of the other helpful advice? Commercial does not even apply as the local hobby shop owner is not charging his students for flight training (at least I didn't interpret it that way). Good luck!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Well i started to make a post and timed out. Two pages on a subject that should have been maybe three posts. Even my popcorn tastes bad. What a waste of time.
Hey Doc miss in Bowling Green. Dennis
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 AM
TimJ

Hear that sound? That is the sound of this thread going down the toilet. Thank you KE and LC for successfully destroying another thread. Everyone one make sure to Thank KE and LC for their efforts.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Liability Insurance Protection Program

For Paid Instructors
(February 7, 2004)

AMA recognizes that the number of volunteer flight instructors is limited. We also realize that,
generally, “club training nights” are limited to once or twice per week. While we believe that the
traditional form of teaching a new modeler to fly as a benefit of joining a club is an important aspect of
the Academy and our system of chartered clubs, we also appreciate the fact that there are times when a
club’s training program may not fit into the schedule of some new modelers. Many of those new to
model aviation have limited and specific times in which they can enjoy their new hobby. Some want to
advance their skills more quickly or be trained at their convenience. They are willing to pay a
reasonable fee for this.

To ease the burden on our volunteer instructors AMA sees a place for those that instruct for a fee. In
fact, there are several, full-time, commercial RC Flight Schools operating very successfully in the
United States, which are not insured by the AMA’s liability insurance company.
AMA has developed a program, outlined below, to provide “paid instructors” with liability insurance
protection.

1. As a benefit of membership, AMA’s insurance protection will extend to those members
who provide flight instruction for a fee on a casual basis.
2. This coverage does not extend to any commercial operation or business pursuit.
3. The coverage only applies when an AMA member is instructing another AMA member.
4. The coverage only applies when the instruction is being provided at a recognized model
flying facility or during an AMA chartered club's previously planned and advertised
"official" event.

5. Clubs reserve the right to either allow or disallow the use of their facilities to a paid flight
instructor while providing instruction for a fee.

6. Clubs reserve the right to charge a fee for the use of their facilities to a paid instructor
member when instructing for a fee. All agreements pertaining to these fees will be a
matter strictly between the club and instructor.

7. AMA will provide, on the AMA Website in the Members Only section, a searchable
database of all members who wish to be identified as flight instructors. This database will
include both volunteer instructors and those that charge a fee. Inclusion in this database
is on a voluntary basis. It is the instructor’s responsibility to insure that his or her name is
listed and that the information in that listing is accurate. The database will include the
instructor’s name, address, telephone number, email address, and club affiliation. There
will be an indictor next to the names of those instructors that charge a fee.
8. AMA assumes no responsibility and makes no assertions as to the competency of any
instructor listed in this database.

Anyone wish just who initiated and who worked in committee with then DVP Mathewson to get the AMA to accept this?

If that doesn't work then go with the Introductory Pilot Program. You can check that one out on your own.
Right know an AMA membership for persons under 18 1/2 is free. Used to be a wopping $1. Where else can a person $2 milion coverage for FREE.
Our club has a junior membership for $15. $75 after that.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Right know an AMA membership for persons under 18 1/2 is free. Used to be a wopping $1. Where else can a person $2 milion coverage for FREE.
Our club has a junior membership for $15. $75 after that.

Good info to know! The younger crowd can really use that. Now if we can find something for the older guys.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

If this was mentioned previously I appologize.

My main "concern" is the shop owner being described as a "good beginner" pilot. Perhaps he is not that well suited yet to be training anobody. Maybe he does not have the calm and instinctive reactions yet to safely and productively train someone. I have seen it several times in my clubs....guys with a few flights under their belts helping out other "newbies" to either an early repair job on their plane or learning bad habits or worse yet just giving up. Nothing frustrates me more than watching a student trying to fly a plane that is flying way too fast or has way too much control throw. Just my $0.02.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.