Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't The AMA and the Hobby as a whole market to minorities?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why Doesn't The AMA and the Hobby as a whole market to minorities?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM
qutielinds@aol.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Doesn't The AMA and the Hobby as a whole market to minorities?

RCken post manager, you are absolutely right, there is a legitimacy for threads like this, it got my posting average up.

OK OK, if this post is worth anything, why is it getting slammed by the majority (not minority)
I do agree that it shouldnt be deleted, Its a tribute to Rc modelers and their insight pertaining to the real issues here, and not only here, but all of America and the world as we know it today. I see that a claim was made, and because there was no true research to back it, it got slammed. Marketing to non-believers is not the case here, there was not one post that was thought out and addressed any scientific data relating to what percentage of minorities actually fly airplanes, and does it really matter. Does it matter? Only to marketing, and thats why they probably did things the way they did. But lets argue that with raw data instead of assumptions, and only investigate this matter if you want to waist your time.

If you care about this matter here are the proper steps to take

1. find out how many people subscribe/order/and show interest in the hobby.(local clubs, magazine subscribe ect...)
2. compare the demographics (kinda like what manufactures allready did, but hey, suit yourself)
3. stand in front of a bus for waisting your time
4. If you still can accomplish anything after 3, work on an airplane and stop wasting your time.
5. donate an airplane to a minority and teach him to fly,
6. work for a result instead of placing blame without a solution
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
qutielinds@aol.
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: djnsayne

Seems like an easy way to grow the hobby, why are they afraid to do it?
I completely agree. There are way too many R/C airplane ads coming out of China and Korea with hot looking Chinese or Korean girls. I no longer notice the plane they are holding or standing next to.

What, theres airplanes in those ads?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

The very minute you choose to use any specific people(minorities) to target a similar group( of minorities) for whatever purpose you are generating a seperatist approach to what should be a unified hobby. You can't have equality when you do this. I hope this thread is terminated by the administrator for these very reasons.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
oskartek

ORIGINAL: rcmichael

The very minute you choose to use any specific people(minorities) to target a similar group( of minorities) for whatever purpose you are generating a seperatist approach to what should be a unified hobby. You can't have equality when you do this. I hope this thread is terminated by the administrator for these very reasons.

Happy flying, Oscar
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM
fireman rich

Our club holds an annual air show and mall show where the public is invited not just for RC but for the actual air show.  the hobby is open to all, and my club welcomes all.  With that being said, you can NOT force a certain segment of the population to fly RC aircraft!!!!  Those that are interested will seek out a club and join, those that are not interested will do their own thing.  Either way, this is one of the stupidest post I have EVER read!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people think this hobby is "to expensive". I hear that all the time. That is the mindset of many Non-hobbyists. Race has NOTHING to do with it. It is economics and ignorance that keep many people away.

I have many discussions with people that stop by our field when we are flying. One of the first things they ask is how much does it cost? Many people say $400.00 to $500.00 to start. I then say. This hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. I have bought RTF airplanes for as little as $20.00. If you get with someone that KNOWS the hobby they can help you and you will only spend what you need to.

That is why it is difficult to get people into the hobby!!!! People brag about how much money they have in an airplane and scare people that are interested off. The bragger has all the HIGH DOLLAR items and will not explain it. Come on people think!!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

Now as I am the original poster , I will take time to address some of the issues as I see it.

The RC hobby would greatly benefit by promoting to minorities as this will increase the amount of modelers period. The reason that many people (white,black or any other) do not join us in our wonderful hobby is that they simply don't know it's out there or they are given the opinion that it's too expensive. Damn near everyone I know has some type of video game system and over 10games that has cost them over 1000 bucks..... this money could have been spent getting them into the air. Now I have only been flying for about 4 years, but I personally have gotten over 20 people into our hobby and they have been people of all races. The problem as I see it is market saturation.... It's time to focus on a new market and get minorities and kids out of the house and onto the field. Also at no point did I call anyone person or company racist. It's not racist to promote to middle aged, middle to upper classed whites since they already make up a huge part of your customer base. That's generally good business, however there are millions of untapped dollars out there that the hobby is virtually ignoring and I don't understand why.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 PM
ctrout

Did you get the new pilots one at a time or somehow more then 1 at a time to join
I would like to know what you would do to give a high number of new to RC the spark?
just to get them to the field to look around.

I don know that colour has much to do with model aviation ins or outs I think its the spark that starts us into the hobby we need to work on.but I would like see what you may have for ideas.
Trout
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

I used to manage a hobby shop and offered every new pilot lessons in order to learn how to fly.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Canardman
My Feedback: (7)

This thread is silly. I can't believe I'm even responding. Racism is a crutch that some just will not let go of. This is obviously a case of that.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 AM
GerKonig

Now as I am the original poster , I will take time to address some of the issues as I see it.

The RC hobby would greatly benefit by promoting to minorities as this will increase the amount of modelers period. The reason that many people (white,black or any other) do not join us in our wonderful hobby is that they simply don't know it's out there or they are given the opinion that it's too expensive. Damn near everyone I know has some type of video game system and over 10games that has cost them over 1000 bucks..... this money could have been spent getting them into the air. Now I have only been flying for about 4 years, but I personally have gotten over 20 people into our hobby and they have been people of all races. The problem as I see it is market saturation.... It's time to focus on a new market and get minorities and kids out of the house and onto the field. Also at no point did I call anyone person or company racist. It's not racist to promote to middle aged, middle to upper classed whites since they already make up a huge part of your customer base. That's generally good business, however there are millions of untapped dollars out there that the hobby is virtually ignoring and I don't understand why.

Maybe there is a rate of return issue. If I would promote (spend money in advertising) I would target a much bigger minority: females

I think a lot of us also love general aviation, and as the number of GA pilots dwindle, and dwindle, and dwindle, so do the number of RC pilots. I firmly believe there is a link between both activities:-)

Besides, since I am also a minority, I disagree on spending money on other minorities:-) Let me rephrase: IF the idea would be workable, and the AMA would target minorities, they would have to target the most numerous minority first (mine), and you guys would be second. Correction: Females, Hispanics, AA is the correct order... But wait, a lot of Jew would be left out, and that is not right, let's add them, but wait, how about the Asians? Heck, they manufacture all arfs, let's add them too, how about Indians, people of the Pacific Rim, there are millions here. I guess by now you might see my point: there are too many minorities, and I bet the money is not there to advertise to all of them. And to leave a minority out would just not be fair.

This is a word of mouth thing, for most people. Bring people personally to the hobby. Heck, my in-law is a brand new RC pilot thanks to a Christmas gift I purchased for him 2 years ago! I think the AMA members can and should do more to bring members to the clubs they belong. I brought 4 pilots so far. Not much, I know, but they are all active, and if everybody would do the same, we would have increased 4 times the membership.

Gerry
Old 07-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

“F†the minority tag and all who wear that albatross around their neck. It’s nothing but crutch and those who play that racist card don’t really want equality. As Martin Luther King put it. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.â€

Rrragman
Thank you sir.

Howard
Old 07-08-2011, 04:19 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Many of these posts,, heck this whole AMA section does more harm than good as far as bringing new people into the hobby, what ever thier skin tone might be.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

(deleted - sorry I checked the thread out)
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have way too many overweight, middle-aged, unattractive men in this hobby. That is the bulk of it. Could you imagine airplane ads with the likes of the average R/C member standing next to a plane? YUKK!!

That is why airplane ads have beautiful 18 ~ 30 year old women. Yet, women still don't join our hobby. Why is that? Maybe female membership will improve if the R/C companies start using the Budweiser Girls.

We need more women in this hobby. Not ugly women. We need beautiful women in this hobby.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

We have way too many overweight, middle-aged, unattractive men in this hobby. That is the bulk of it. Could you imagine airplane ads with the likes of the average R/C member standing next to a plane? YUKK!!

That is why airplane ads have beautiful 18 ~ 30 year old women. Yet, women still don't join our hobby. Why is that? Maybe female membership will improve if the R/C companies start using the Budweiser Girls.

We need more women in this hobby. Not ugly women. We need beautiful women in this hobby.

Careful with what you wish. If the 18-30 female crowd takes over, pretty soon the "overweight, middle-aged, unattractive men in this hobby" will be kicked out...

Gerry
Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
raptureboy

I would agree with some of the others here, why do we need to market to anyone based on race? The truth be told there is only one race and that is the human race. We are all decended from one set of parents (read Genesis) and it really annoys me that people are still playing this game of marketing to a specific group of people based on their skin color. I work for a major retailer and we get all kinds of internal information about marketing to minorities and "cashing in" on a particular minority. Believe me corporations will not miss marketing to a specific group of people if there is money to be made[>:] As members of the AMA we should all be involved in recruiting new members and sharing our hobby with anyone regardless of skin tone, or gender. We are all valuable in the eyes of our creator.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My real annoyance with this type of thread topic is this:

why does anyone think everyone has a responsibility to cater to minorities?

If anyone is interested in this hobby they can go visit hobby shops, flying sites or online sites to learn more. It isn’t up to me to drag them kicking and screaming to become a modeler of any sort.

People develop interests on their own and if they don’t have the gumption to learn and follow those interests it isn’t up to me to poke a stick in the hole to flush them out.

With today’s retail and communications venues it is silly to think people don’t know about remote controlled models (see any Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Harbor Freight, etc.). Our club puts on frequent flying demonstrations, static displays, buddy box flying and we publicize these upcoming events, the last of which had close to 100 static display models, and all types of flying demos. Over 300 spectators attended our last half day event and we earned two new members from it. Currently we are planning a static display for our September County Fair.

Too many minority groups are led to believe they are entitled to anything they want without putting forth effort and then complain when nothing happens.

Case in point: our local city council lost a member to a career change. They opened the position for applications to fill the seat until next election. Applicants were interviewed and a selection made.

Guess what…some local minority leaders (?) cried foul because they weren’t courted by the council, yet not one minority, nor woman applied.

So let’s get off playing the poor pitiful me race card. I will welcome and help anyone including the one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater to our hobby. But they need to step up and show some interest.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Just to put things into perspective from my point of view, I much prefer looking at the models I have seen on the RC magazine covers than seeing any of the guys I fly with on the covers no matter what their race or planet of origin.
Denny
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
raptureboy

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

So let’s get off playing the poor pitiful me race card. I will welcome and help anyone including the one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater to our hobby.

Well, are the one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eaters using Futaba or Spectrum, 72 or 2.4, let's not get carried away here:-)

Gerru
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
DanMN

When it comes to advertising, all I know is that I recently purchased ceramic bearings for a monster truck due to an attractive model used by a manufacturer, and I don't even own a monster truck. I can tell you this, that's effective advertising!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
rc18junky

Well if there is not enough African American in the AMA maybe the NAACP can bring them to court and make it free for all black males. it could be a attachment when filing for food stamps or welfare
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Vettdriver

When I say market to Minorities , I mean invloving minority models and actors in their advertising efforts. When is the last time you have seen anyone of color in a Horizon or Great Planes ad?........

What do the manufacturers have to do with it ?
The kid that does the reviews for NitroPlanes is Asian and I have no problems watching his videos.

As for who's photo gets used in the magazines, it confuses me because for years growing up RCM and MA both featured some less than stellar girls on the covers.[:'(]
Of course that may say more about scratch builders than it does about the whole hobby.
I guess they don't get out and date as much.

It's a joke guys . . . . don't go getting your slide rules & calipers in a bind.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

Well if there is not enough African American in the AMA maybe the NAACP can bring them to court and make it free for all black males. it could be a attachment when filing for food stamps or welfare

Wow [:'(] Can I grab you a nice white sheet or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.