Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

RC advertising vs. safety guide lines?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RC advertising vs. safety guide lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: RC advertising vs. safety guide lines?

ORIGINAL: 378

...So a park flyer is being flown...in a park.

I don't see the big deal. I could see safety issues if it was a big glow powered model, but come on. It's a tiny little parkie. You could thunk it into someone's head and you'd still be hard pressed to do any serious damage.

I say stop spazzing out about safety at every single thing you see and live a little. Tiny little parkies like this one are just not strong enough to do any permanent damage. They're called park flyers for a reason, you know.
LOL, a little temporary damage is ok with you?

ORIGINAL: will185

Nice flying and like its been said there is nothing wrong with flying a park flyer in a park. Why was this thread even started???[&o]
Seriously though, No one sees the big picture here?
In these day of Over Litigation and the AMA working to present our sport as "Safe" in the eyes of the FAA and Congress etc. Our Sport has a spot light on it,, any screw ups could hurt us all.

Sure I fly my park fliers at the park too on occasion,, but a company presenting it product this way really pushes the limits of common sense,, It's one thing flying around in an empty soccer field, but using Light standards as pylon turns??

When I lived in So Cal I rode a lot of Off Road Motorcycle,, Being also part of the other AMA we were in a constant battle to present our sport in the best light possible,, Greenie groups were and are always looking to take our riding rights away.. Every time we would see a news story it wasn't about how much some M/C group or club raised for charity,, it was about some knuckle heads getting hurt or breaking the law. People are always watching and ready to point out your screw ups..

p.s.
I try not to ever spazz out,, that always leads to a hissy fit
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I have seeing videos for online hobby shops of people fying micros in gyms full of spectators or in ones living room.
Over 40 size glows you need a flying field, smaller than that you can fly anywhere. I also dont see anything wrong with the ad.
On the contrary, that pilot is good[:-]
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I knew this would turn into one of those "safer is common sense" discussions and eventually lead into AMA is working hard to protect us from ourselves... Now I wish it would have been an advertisement with foxy girls in bikinis we were arguing.

You know, when someone throws out "it would be safer to..." how do you argue that and where will that end???? Sure, we can just crawl into our workshops, pull the electricity, assume the fetal position and just shiver in the corner wondering what we overlooked... but I'd rather not.

Look, I am sure most people use good and common sense in most situations... for the others, the idiots, there really isn't much you can do anyway... I figure while flying this model, enough margin was maintained that safety concerns were just fine...and that is the case most often despite the youtube idiot evidence that is undoubtedly forthcoming...all idiots will continue regardless of AMA, rules, or laws and the proof is... they do!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
scale only 4 me

All True,
But when a company shows you, by having an obviously expert pilot, fly around in a tight space as that vid shows,, any Joe blow rank armature will run to the hobby shop and think they can do the same,, will the results be the same,, I kinda doubt it.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

any Joe blow rank armature will run to the hobby shop and think they can do the same,, will the results be the same,, I kinda doubt it.
I'll bet on tree decoration in that case LOL

Anyway as someone pointed out...maybe not in the best words, the likelihood of any serious damage to property of person is so slight that it is hardly worth mentioning.... I think we have endless things that are many magnitudes higher in our day to day life we accept...might should worry about... before this becomes any kind of priority.

Yes, there are plenty of examples, condoned by AMA, that are much more likely to have unfortunate outcomes that would be many times worse than this example could ever have...but it is counter productive to harp on them...so I won't.

Hmmm... let's try not to vilify our own hobby, please???
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it is a TRUE Park Flyer!

As far as what the AMA thinks ... I never knew they had a thought about anything!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Airplanes400

All True,
But when a company shows you, by having an obviously expert pilot, fly around in a tight space as that vid shows,, any Joe blow rank armature will run to the hobby shop and think they can do the same,, will the results be the same,, I kinda doubt it.
But that is what advertising is all about ... leading the average consumer to think he will have the same results right from the beginning.

Take for example the Budweiser commercials. Some 'loser guy' is at a bar, quietly drinking a glass of beer from the tap. Everyone else around him is having a good time and completely ignoring him. A few minutes later, asks the bartender for a Bud Light. After taking just one sip of the Bud Light and putting the bottle on the bar, he is suddenly surrounded by the three Budweiser Girls !! And he is not imagining it. It is real !!

I rest my case.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

But that is what advertising is all about ... leading the average consumer to think he will have the same results right from the beginning.

To heck with all this model stuff...I'm heading out to get a Bud Light...see you at the fie...err... the bar.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 AM
bradpaul

What would the AMA think...................... about a parkflyer being flown in a park without spectators??

Seems to meet all the provisions of the Safety Code ........... so the opinion would be have fun and fly safe.......................

How can anybody find something wrong with that????????????????????

Brad
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM
cj_rumley

Joe Armature, you are invited fly it in my street, yard, driveway.......... any time you darn well please.

edit: forgot to mention safety rules, always important......

Rules

Close the veranda gate behind you - don't want the stupid dog falling in the pool
Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: 378

...So a park flyer is being flown...in a park.

I don't see the big deal. I could see safety issues if it was a big glow powered model, but come on. It's a tiny little parkie. You could thunk it into someone's head and you'd still be hard pressed to do any serious damage.

I say stop spazzing out about safety at every single thing you see and live a little. Tiny little parkies like this one are just not strong enough to do any permanent damage. They're called park flyers for a reason, you know.
LOL, a little temporary damage is ok with you?

Why yes, it is actually. I don't try to hide in a shell from everything that might give me a life threatening paper cut! The worst that little parkie could do is give me a tiny little cut and a stinging sensation. Even if it pops me in the forehead all I have to do is duck tape a napkin over the slice, and that's only to catch the blood, and I'd be fine. It's not a dangerous aircraft. My NexSTAR can easily lop fingers off, so I don't take chances with that, but a parkie like this? Blah. Doesn't scare me in the least.

As I said, everyone needs to stop spazzing out about safety at every single little thing they see. Oh, and I apologize if this is a shock to your system to find someone who isn't afraid of everything they see in the world. There are still a few of us who accept that not everything is safe, shrug, and do it anyways.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

This thread is just another opportunity to grouse about the AMA.
I'll secong this opinion.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 AM
CashD

This chosen flying site flew me away

I completely understand your concern. Afterall, the little airplane could have been damaged or destroyed by a mis-thrown frisbee or an errant baseball...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

What would the AMA think...................... about a parkflyer being flown in a park without spectators??

Seems to meet all the provisions of the Safety Code ........... so the opinion would be have fun and fly safe.......................

How can anybody find something wrong with that????????????????????

Brad
Totally agree. What's the issue?????

Regards
Frank
Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 AM
scale only 4 me

Well, the post was just for giggles anyway,, it is amazing how up in arms you guys always get here. talk about people needing to lighten up a little.

I will say this in closing though,
Now many cities and towns have "no r/c laws in the the parks" now and it's not to prevent people for doing stupid things,,, as noted there's no stopping that,,, it to protect themselves from Liability. If it's against the law then the city can't be perceived as "letting it go on" even though obviously they don't have police positioned 24/7 to prevent it.

carry on
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
cj_rumley

Well, the post was just for giggles anyway,,
Hope you got some too, along with most of the rest of us.

Slack.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: pkoury

well, actually its an opportunity for folks to commend the AMA on what they are doing/not-doing about it too.

Which makes me wonder
why some folks(above) were given the opportunity here to say something positive about AMA,
yet DIDN'T.

Instead,
when given the opportunity to say how great they think AMA is for doing/not-doing something about the subject,
they whine that folks are not saying anything nice about ama.

Well,
maybe thats cause THEY didnt answer the question on what THEY THINK
(assuming they think positive things about AMA)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: pkoury

well, actually its an opportunity for folks to commend the AMA on what they are doing/not-doing about it too.

Which makes me wonder
why some folks(above) were given the opportunity here to say something positive about AMA,
yet DIDN'T.

Instead,
when given the opportunity to say how great they think AMA is for doing/not-doing something about the subject,
they whine that folks are not saying anything nice about ama.

Well,
maybe thats cause THEY didnt answer the question on what THEY THINK
(assuming they think positive things about AMA)

We now all have headaches!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

We now all have headaches!
Not me... I'm hanging out with the Bud Light girls! One thing tho...they just didn't look so fat on TV...I think I've seen some of them on the Buffalo's tool calendar...no matter, more jiggle, fun girls...been sipping on this one beer for 3 hours and they don't seem to mind.

Later...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
mongo

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

if they stand as example of what drinking bud light does to ya, i don't think i wana see the regular bud girls<G>
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM
mongo

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

kid,
did you perchance have anything to do with the subject script displayed here?

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/guidance.html

just wondering.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Airplanes400

Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

[quote]ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Well, the post was just for giggles anyway,, it is amazing how up in arms you guys always get here. talk about people needing to lighten up a little.

I have a headache and dont see any Bud girls.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
scale only 4 me

Holy screwed up the quote feature Batman,,

but seriously
Ever see the "Bud Man"? what kinda girls could he get anyway?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
littlecrankshaf

Holy screwed up the quote feature Batman,,

but seriously
Ever see the ''Bud Man''? what kinda girls could he get anyway?
If you drink enough of the Buds they all are movie stars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.