Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Election

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Election

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Election

I have received an e-mail from Andy Argenio. Andy is the District One Vice President. He has asked that I spread the word that he is supporting Jim Rice for AMA President. Attached is the letter Andy prepared:

JIM RICE FOR AMA PRESIDENT 2011

Dear AMA Members / Clubs,
You will soon be asked to cast your vote for the candidate of your choice for AMA President. This is not an easy task since most of you will have limited knowledge of the candidates. I urge you to read their statements in Model Aviation and on their personal websites.
Pay particular attention to what a candidate has done but more importantly, what he intends to do as our next AMA President. Have they done things you consider important and will they be addressing issues and providing values you consider necessary?
I have written this letter to support the Presidential candidate that I feel strongly about. As a District Vice President and senior member of the AMA Executive Council, I have had the privilege of working with Jim Rice on Council and on important AMA Committees. Based on my working experiences with all the presidential candidates, I can unequivocally tell you that Jim Rice possesses more experience and knowledge of today’s AMA issues than any of the other candidates. His proven ability to achieve consensus from the AMA Board of Directors and the respect he has from our new Executive Director, Dave Mathewson, AMA Staff and the AMA Executive Council warranted my supporting and advocating others to vote for Jim Rice for AMA President.
On the back of this page you will find some of the initiatives Jim intends to address as AMA President. Please take time to go to Jim Rice’s website to learn more about him at www.JimRiceforAMApresident.com and if you agree that Jim Rice represents the best choice for President, he would appreciate your support.
Times have changed and today to get messages out to members to vote for Jim Rice costs money to advertise in MA magazine, direct mailings, website, club visits etc. Our group of “Friends of Jim Rice for President†is seeking monetary donations to assist in this endeavor. If you or your club is willing to join me in financially supporting Jim’s election, please email me and I will email you back instructions on how to make a contribution. (I know it’s difficult but even the smallest amounts add up and will help)

I sincerely would appreciate your vote and support for Jim Rice for AMA President,
Andy Argenio
Andy Argenio
AMA District I Vice President
Campaign Manager-“Jim Rice for AMA Presidentâ€

INITIATIVES JIM RICE PLANS ON ADDRESSING AS AMA PRESIDENT

•ELIMINATE CONFLICT OF INTEREST IN AMA OFFICER ELECTIONS:

Jim Rice supported term limits which are now in affect but that is but one step toward eliminating the membership’s perception that the Executive Council is a self-perpetuating “good-old-boy†operation. Jim will charge the BYLAW COMMITTEE to revamp the BYLAWS to prevent the conflict of interest inherent in the current Nominating system while ensuring that we replenish the council with fresh thinking, talented volunteers.

• AVOID DUES INCREASE:

Jim understands the need to address revenue loss from membership decline with innovative non-dues revenue programs and initiatives. Jim intends to establish a “Revenue Resource Team†to develop these new revenue streams. AMA may run specialty type AMA flying events and giant flea markets/swap meets in regional areas to do for us what Oshkosh does for the EAA’s non-dues revenue base.

• SPONSOR AMA REGIONAL EVENTS & ACTIVITIES:

For years members have asked why AMA couldn’t sponsor National type events in regional areas similar to the NATS in the past. Members who find it too costly to travel to Muncie could once again experience these events. Jim intends to establish a “Regional Event Development Committee†charged with developing programs and resources for sponsoring and hosting AMA Multi-District Regional Events and Activities.

• CAPITALIZE ON COLLABORATIVE COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR AMA OFFICERS:

Jim recognizes the need to utilize computer collaboration programs to derive the most value from the ideas and initiatives of AMA Officers and volunteers on a national scale. Jim will establish a “National Communication Team†whose efforts will focus on improving communication and deriving worthwhile results from volunteers.

• DEVELOP INNOVATIVE AEROMODELING PROGRAMS TO ENTERTAIN AND EDUCATE:

Live Internet shows like “Atlantic Hobbies Radio Show†have become quite successful. Jim would like to challenge our IT and Marketing staff to develop a live interactive “Internet AMA Video Talk Show†with varied hosts, guest speakers, demonstrations and broadcast locations.

• BY REGIONS PROMOTE AEROMODELING AWARENESS AND AMA CLUBS:

Establish a new Marketing Committee composed of key Staff and AMA volunteer members with marketing expertise to develop new innovative programs. One such program would expand the marketing efforts targeting the senior category that has continued to grow while all other categories of membership have declined. We have not saturated this growing senior demographic and by providing additional resources to advertise aeromodeling and clubs within districts/regions on cable TV stations, we may stop membership decline.

• PROVIDE ALL AMA FORMS AND DOCUMENTS ONLINE WITH ELECTRONIC FILING.

Only recently have we begun to replace the antiquated computer and software systems at AMA HQ. Jim intends to push to get the data base systems up-to-date so all the application/form types can be completed online.

• INTEGRATE ALL DISTRICT WEBSITES INTO THE AMA WEBSITE.

Jim intends to have the IT people and district webmasters integrate district web info into the AMA website to eliminate redundancy while still providing specialty areas for clubs to maintain individuality on the AMA website. District webmasters could still contribute to their districts specialty area on the HQ website eliminating individual domain costs.

• IMPROVE FLYING SITE SEARCH, DEVELOPMENT AND RETENTION.

Tony Stillman, our Flying Site Coordinator, has made great strides in helping clubs with flying site issues. But he is a department of one with limited budget and time yet his efforts help all members with the most important part of modeling. Finding and Keeping a place to fly! Jim wants a “think tank†of experienced modelers formed to help in this critical area.

END OF LETTER____________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

I will have some comments on this letter shortly
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
bradpaul

Default RE: AMA Election

Going to be interesting to see the reaction........... the "good old boy" supporting another "good old boy".......... but as the "good old boy" is from TEXAS and the favorite of most of the regular complainers about "good old boys" they will probably say nothing........................................... .

Brad
Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Here is a question I posed on Jim's web site www.JimRiceforAMApresident.com under contact us.

"Would you support requiring particpants on the AMA forums to use their real names and AMA number, either as part of their signature or in their profile. If not the general subscribers, would you support the requirement for LMs posting in that AMA fourm?"
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Here is a question I posed on Jim's web site www.JimRiceforAMApresident.com under contact us.

''Would you support requiring particpants on the AMA forums to use their real names and AMA number, either as part of their signature or in their profile. If not the general subscribers, would you support the requirement for LMs posting in that AMA fourm?''
hmmm...
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
frankp

I agree with you Red. When you write something you should be willing to sign it with your real name.

Frank P, Leader Member
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: frankp

I agree with you Red. When you write something you should be willing to sign it with your real name.

Frank P, Leader Member
You might have a point there. It would make compiling info on the "enemy" a lot easier.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Frank P, Leader Member
You might have a point there. It would make compiling info on the ''enemy'' a lot easier.
Keep your fiends close and your enemies closer.

Regards
Frank R. Phelps
AMA #39551
Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

One candidate for AMA President has answered (as far as I know he is the only one having a web page for his campaign where questions can be asked). If anyone knows of a campaign page for Brown or Hansen please let us know.

- Original Message -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 10:25 PM
Subject: Your message to my web site

Yes Red, I would support requiring the name and AMA number in the profile. I would ask/encourage all LM to use their AMA number in their screen name.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 AM
KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Going to be interesting to see the reaction........... the ''good old boy'' supporting another ''good old boy''.......... but as the ''good old boy'' is from TEXAS and the favorite of most of the regular complainers about ''good old boys'' they will probably say nothing........................................... .

Brad
hmm, why would folks that complain about muncies GOB situation, why would they like Jim Rice?
Maybe its because of

Jim Rice supported term limits which are now in affect but that is but one step toward eliminating the membership’s perception that the Executive Council is a self-perpetuating “good-old-boy†operation. Jim will charge the BYLAW COMMITTEE to revamp the BYLAWS to prevent the conflict of interest inherent in the current Nominating system while ensuring that we replenish the council with fresh thinking, talented volunteers
Brad, could you paste in a campaign quote from the other candidates on what THEY are going to do to break up the GOB.
It would be nice to compare their plans,
maybe one of the other guys plans on tackling GOB is better and I will vote for them.

What would make this a tough choice
is if some other candidate ran on a Kill PPP & Fire The PPP Hires platform.
Sorry Jim, increasing ama revenue is good, but cutting ama wasteful spending is better
Old 08-02-2011, 05:46 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Brad, could you paste in a campaign quote from the other candidates on what THEY are going to do to break up the GOB.
It would be nice to compare their plans,
Have you seen any?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

One candidate for AMA President has answered (as far as I know he is the only one having a web page for his campaign where questions can be asked). If anyone knows of a campaign page for Brown or Hansen please let us know.

- Original Message -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 10:25 PM
Subject: Your message to my web site

Yes Red, I would support requiring the name and AMA number in the profile. I would ask/encourage all LM to use their AMA number in their screen name.

I am truly surprised by his response...Red, thanks for asking the question.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 AM
bradpaul

quote:

Jim Rice supported term limits which are now in affect but that is but one step toward eliminating the membership’s perception that the Executive Council is a self-perpetuating “good-old-boy†operation. Jim will charge the BYLAW COMMITTEE to revamp the BYLAWS to prevent the conflict of interest inherent in the current Nominating system while ensuring that we replenish the council with fresh thinking, talented volunteers

By the way did you check with your mentor Horrace as to his opinion on term limits............

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...1/key_/tm.htm#

Brad
Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 AM
frankp

As a member of the Bi-Laws Committee and a personal friend of it's Chairman, Andy Arginio, I can assure you that the committee will propose changes to the nomination process. Unfortunately Andy and I have a serious disagreement on how far these changes should go. The good part is that both Andy and Jim are in favor of changing the process.

Frank V. Ponteri
LM 3957
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 AM
bradpaul

As a member of the Bi-Laws Committee and a personal friend of it's Chairman, Andy Arginio, I can assure you that the committee will propose changes to the nomination process. Unfortunately Andy and I have a serious disagreement on how far these changes should go. The good part is that both Andy and Jim are in favor of changing the process.

Frank V. Ponteri
LM 3957
Now you are talking like a Washington politician.......... proposing changes .......... when you fully know that you will need a affirmation of a majority of the LM's to ratify any Bi-Law change.

Brad
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 AM
frankp

Brad,

The Bi-Laws changes that I am going to propose will be posted on this site and will be for consideration by all AMA Members who read them. They will be subject to change prior to my submission to the Committee. I will ask for the support the members of this fourm and if a sufficient number of people care to get involved, I will present the proposed changes directly to the Council.

I take exception to your remarks and suggest you read my previous posts concerning the election process.

Frank P
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM
phlpsfrnk

Brad,

The Bi-Laws changes that I am going to propose will be posted on this site and will be for consideration by all AMA Members who read them. They will be subject to change prior to my submission to the Committee. I will ask for the support the members of this fourm and if a sufficient number of people care to get involved, I will present the proposed changes directly to the Council.

I take exception to your remarks and suggest you read my previous posts concerning the election process.

Frank P
I look forward to seeing your proposed changes. It would be interesting to see how the proposals would be received on the AMA's own forum.

Regards
The other FrankP
Frank Phelps
AMA #39551
Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

Seems Jim is concerned about conflicts of interest. I posed this question to him on his web page:

Hi Jim - I have noticed around the Net that you are concerned about conflict of interest in elections, etc. I am curious how you view sitting members of the EC endorsing candidates for EVP or President. Personally I think it is an egregious conflict of interest. EC members should in no way ever do anything to influence the results of an election. What's your take?
I'll let you know what he has to say.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Silent-AV8R

I'll make a comment. I think this is a clear conflict of interest. I feel strongly that no member of the EC should ever in any manner campaign for, or openly endorse, another person running for any National Office. While he is free to have his own opinion for me it crosses a line when he sends out a clear campaign letter like this to all the clubs in his district and then asks for it to be posted on the Internet.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
bradpaul

Brad,

Frank P

Again making a proposal does nothing............. the EC must still approve it and the LM's ratify it.

Politicians make all sorts of promises for "change you can believe in" and I fully expect every AMA Candidate will have a nice list of proposals........... get them past the EC and we have something to discuss............

Brad
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
frankp

When I submitted the letter I said that I would have some additional comments on it. Before I do, I want to say that Andy Argenio is my best friend and is most likely the best VP District One has ever had. He is also one of the hardest working members of the Counsil. I have told him on many occasions to back off and let some of the do-nothings on the Counsil do some work. Andy and I have had many long conversations on the problems within the AMA and we do not agree on some items.

Had Andy asked me about this letter, I would have told him not to write it. I say that NOT because I dislike Jim Rice but because I feel it is improper for a member of the Counsil to publicly support a canidate for office. I also do not like the call for finincial support of any canidate. I see no reason why the people on the ballot cannot receive one free page in MA. I would limit this to just the President and V. President election. If funds are needed for mailings, such funds should come from the AMA. If we allow fund rasing to become a part of our national elections they will become even more corrupt.

FrankP
AMA 3957LM
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

Let me make it clear as well that my position has nothing to do with Andy or Jim per se. My comments are in a more general vein. I think that as a matter of course the EC members should steer clear of endorsing another candidate for any office.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I'll make a comment. I think this is a clear conflict of interest. I feel strongly that no member of the EC should ever in any manner campaign for, or openly endorse, another person running for any National Office. While he is free to have his own opinion for me it crosses a line when he sends out a clear campaign letter like this to all the clubs in his district and then asks for it to be posted on the Internet.
Kind of like AVPs working to get their DVP elected maybe?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: warningshot

My knee-jerk reaction was totally in agreement with Silent. Then I said myself " Self, EC members are going to support their other GOBs anyway, and why shouldn't they?" I have no problem with elected officials putting in a good word for their buddies. Better they do it out in the open than in some sekrit backroom. I do have a problem with them heckling their buddies' opponents. Should be a common courtesy thing, but .......you know. If a rule is needed, it should address the real issue.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Silent-AV8R

Nope, nothing like that. If you are unable to understand the differences then I am not sure it is worth trying to detail them.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:35 PM
cj_rumley

Nope, nothing like that. If you are unable to understand the differences then I am not sure it is worth trying to detail them.
Would you have the restrictions you propose for EC members extend to inclusion of AVPs, or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.