Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Has this forum DIED or what?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Has this forum DIED or what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has this forum DIED or what?

What has happened to this forum? There are no comments, no questions, no follow-ups or much of anything for a couple weeks now.

I'm still banned from the AMA forum, going on 2 months now. I have inquired about that to two sources. None to care to really answer. The AMA Staff person did acknowledge the querry and passed it on. The elected official has not responded.

KE's invitation to the party on Oct. 01 has not had any "sign-ups". So what's happening fellows? Modeling just too busy for everyone? The Houston, TX area is very much alive with events for the next two months. In this area, there is plenty to do, but you can find a minute or two to comment herein, can't you?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Michael R.
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has this forum DIED or what?

OMG, maybe everyone is out flying?! I personally hope that's the case.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM
rw Guinn

Too dadblamed hot to do much of anything!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it has fallen victim to what kills most of these forums. Too much hot air and not enough action. Most folks do get tired of the constant bickering and naysaying. You (Hoss) are different, in that I find most of your criticisms of the AMA to be pretty well grounded, usually supported by fact, and not totally against the AMA itself (usually just some hierarchy or appointee). However, there are many that frequent this forum who never fail to beat a dead horse, especially if that horse is wearing the AMA moniker, and will not resist to continue to drag out an argument or even start one.
Just my two cents.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Michael R.

OMG, maybe everyone is out flying?! I personally hope that's the case.

I'd like to hope this is the reason too !

Also , could it be , that since there are no new issues that havnt already been discussed to death , no one has much to say till the next "something big" comes up ?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

What has happened to this forum? There are no comments, no questions, no follow-ups or much of anything for a couple weeks now.

I'm still banned from the AMA forum, going on 2 months now. I have inquired about that to two sources. None to care to really answer. The AMA Staff person did acknowledge the querry and passed it on. The elected official has not responded.

KE's invitation to the party on Oct. 01 has not had any ''sign-ups''. So what's happening fellows? Modeling just too busy for everyone? The Houston, TX area is very much alive with events for the next two months. In this area, there is plenty to do, but you can find a minute or two to comment herein, can't you?

So If I vote for ya in the next election , , and you win , , will you be able to unban yourself ?

The thought of a life member , leader member , and everything else youve been around the AMA for all those years , being banned from the forum , would be almost comical if it wernt so sad .

I hope you get unbanned soon !
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

I think it has fallen victim to what kills most of these forums. Too much hot air and not enough action. Most folks do get tired of the constant bickering and naysaying. You (Hoss) are different, in that I find most of your criticisms of the AMA to be pretty well grounded, usually supported by fact, and not totally against the AMA itself (usually just some hierarchy or appointee). However, there are many that frequent this forum who never fail to beat a dead horse, especially if that horse is wearing the AMA moniker, and will not resist to continue to drag out an argument or even start one.
Just my two cents.

Can I disagree? Please? Pretty please???

I think most problems stem from a very real lack of mutual respect of another's position on some matters, especially if not in lock step of AMA's position and also by the simple grouping/labeling anyone not in that "lock step", even on completely different issues, as a common denigrator of AMA.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With me, its a case of being tired of hearing the same few bad mouth everyone else. I've listened to virtually everything that a certain someone who writes about things electric, and his two or three toadies. I've seen and heard all the STL pilot types on here, and I'm personally sick of hearing them crow about the things that they have supposedly done.

I'm tired of those in Muncie who ask for our opinions on a matter, then ignore the vast majority and do it their way, only to realize that they have screwed the pooch three or so years later.

I'm tired of the rank and file membership being pushed further and further away from being able to make a difference in Muncie. Now, if you are not a leader member, your opinion means nothing. What's next, are they going to only allow Leader Members to vote? The way it stands now, if you are not on the Good Ol' Boy list, you will never be elected to anything meaningful. They decide who is going to be on the ballot and that's it.

Time was, we could have taken the Academy away from the GOB's and made it our Academy again. Now, I don't know if its worth taking back. In our district, its worse than when we had Mr. I Attended as our DVP. The only thing that could be worse is if the Hogtown Flash were elected (anointed) to a high position.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
KidEpoxy

Hoss
KE's invitation to the party on Oct. 01 has not had any "sign-ups". So what's happening fellows? Modeling just too busy for everyone? The Houston, TX area is very much alive with events for the next two months. In this area, there is plenty to do, but you can find a minute or two to comment herein, can't you?
Tried that.
Seems folks that want others to say nice things about AMA
dont have time to agree when we do post such stuff... such as a membership meeting or whatnot

Otherwise, my online time is spent reading up on chainsaw engines & early rotorcraft, and cruising Home Depots for rolls of flashing and other sheetmetal supply. 25lb heli is easy, 25lb heli using fixed blades (no swashplate/linkage/cyclic) is a bit of a design challenge. Remember that old Cox heli that had the main rotors fixed to the engine, and the torque from spinning the lil prop one wy was used to sping the engine and main rotor the other way? Obviously the concept was valid, that thing did 'fly', so its just details to scale that up for a couple belt reduction weedwacker engines getting a 25lb toy heli to duplicate the cox original (and making sure to log the 5' blades uses in that 'non-aerobatic' 25lb craft, per some AMA's document)
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm tired of the rank and file membership being pushed further and further away from being able to make a difference in Muncie. Now, if you are not a leader member, your opinion means nothing. What's next, are they going to only allow Leader Members to vote? The way it stands now, if you are not on the Good Ol' Boy list, you will never be elected to anything meaningful. They decide who is going to be on the ballot and that's it.

Bill, AMA 4720
Got that right!

Just can't understand why such divisive means to an obvious disconnect is being perpetuated...

In times like these, it seems to me, engaging members and prospective members would be a much better strategy than disengaging members as well as the prospective members...

Really amazing how those that declare "I am AMA" are hard at work dismantling the real support of AMA...Hmmm...Anyone remember what AMA was for???
Old 08-18-2011, 04:37 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
Got that right!

Just can't understand why such divisive means to an obvious disconnect is being perpetuated...

In times like these, it seems to me, engaging members and prospective members would be a much better strategy than disengaging members as well as the prospective members...

Really amazing how those that declare ''I am AMA'' are hard at work dismantling the real support of AMA...Hmmm...Anyone remember what AMA was for???
My question is: does the AMA leadership remember or know what it is supposed to be there for?

I have been a member for as long as I have lived in the USA but have yet to figure out what it's reason for continued existence is. I renew every year, read the magazine and still wonder what the value really is. I fly on private property and don't do any competition flying. What value is there for me in supporting the AMA? Another money soaking entity with no value? There never appears to be any differentiation between candidates when the polls arrive.

I follow the AMA related posts and feel that the discontent is often valid, but does the AMA still have relevance today?

Bliksem

Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM
KidEpoxy

There never appears to be any differentiation between candidates when the polls arrive
This time round,
have you tried putting all the Prez candidates that say they want to do something about the GoodOleBoy Problem into one pile,
and put all the candidates that wont recognize the GoB problem into another pile
.... seems this time, even without Hoss on the ballot, we have a candidate that might not be just more of the same old stuff

If all we got is a bunch of Wonts and a Might,
then, that Might is better than nuthin

"There never appears to be any differentiation between candidates when the polls arrive"
Hard to have a difference with yet another One Name Ballot year
(which, oddly, the DVP for that OneNameBallot district wont be that name if he wins Prez, it will be Mr Appointee)
Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 PM
littlecrankshaf

Kid,

You may have a point but much of that depends on the definition of GOB. One qualifying element, among some of the more obvious, is the "AMA only" or "only AMA" focus to/of model aviation... I have yet to find/read/hear much about any visions beyond AMA...mainly about how to only bloom the AMA without any real thoughts to amending the soil it grows from...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:32 AM
KidEpoxy

Well, I'm gonna wrap it up as to not turn this into some kind of campaign thread:

He said he saw little difference in the candidates,
and thats true, we still have OneNameBallots and contest of clones going on,
but there is at least 1 race where a candidate mentioned a potential to work on a core problem others wont address

Perhaps the membership is getting tired of stuff and is becoming more educated/involved in the internet age,
LT took dX which ruffled a few 'all change is bad' feathers

As for the deadness around here,
its slow in a lot of places. Even over at The Muroc Show its slow, but its hard to gauge cause if thats due to the moderation problem, unpopularity/'fear' in ama membership of the board, or the general slowed trend of posts to boards
Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Well, I'm gonna wrap it up as to not turn this into some kind of campaign thread:

He said he saw little difference in the candidates,
and thats true, we still have OneNameBallots and contest of clones going on,
but there is at least 1 race where a candidate mentioned a potential to work on a core problem others wont address

Perhaps the membership is getting tired of stuff and is becoming more educated/involved in the internet age,
LT took dX which ruffled a few 'all change is bad' feathers

As for the deadness around here,
its slow in a lot of places. Even over at The Muroc Show its slow, but its hard to gauge cause if thats due to the moderation problem, unpopularity/'fear' in ama membership of the board, or the general slowed trend of posts to boards
The LM only AMA forum has a new thread "Summer Doldrums on the forums?” among others. Wonder what that has to do with AMA LM business.

Regards
Frank

PS: Also noted that Horrace & KE are unbanned @ AMA forum.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

The LM only AMA forum has a new thread ''Summer Doldrums on the forums?” among others. Wonder what that has to do with AMA LM business.

Regards
Frank
Just some more important business I guess... I imagine has very little to do with summer tho... probably more about denigrating the lower bottom feeders But I guess I'll never know for sure
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

//SNIP//

The LM only AMA forum has a new thread ''Summer Doldrums on the forums?” among others. Wonder what that has to do with AMA LM business.

Regards
Frank

Thanks for the comments, Frank!

As for my becoming "unbanned" from the AMA Forum, I questioned the ban through my District Vice President. Now I am warned should I receive another ban that it will be permanent.
There was no evidence offered to make me think that anything less than "I Love You" notes will keep me from being banned again real fast. Maybe not even that!

Now have you received your Sep. issue of "Model Aviation" yet? Actually the magazine is extremely well done. I like the razz-muy-tazz way of decoration through the articles. Rather Cute!
Now comes the bomb-drop! Page 7, "Aero Mail" !!!! One long letter, authored by one Frank Geisler, is a bit too much."Muroc's" thesis is an OK (for me) one I think that it is far too over-played. The first 6 paragraphs lead up to #7 and 8, where he appears to be asking for some manner of sympathy.
In the "forum" I, and others, have provided real accurate information where Murocflyer has given either inaccurate or totally false information, especially to AMA questions, such info being explicitly stated in the AMA Membership Manual completely available on the AMA Web site.
As long as the AMA allows this small group of individuals to exercise 101% of control over the AMA Forum and give them free reign to boot anyone for anything, with no responsibility on their part, then provide space for a letter in MA for their self-sympathy, such letter longer than a campaign statement for a national officer to have in election time, I don't see much change in the way business is accomplished. Or just maybe not really accomplished.

Am I sour? Yep!

BTW, have you noticed the current AMA EVP, acting as the current President, has his arms folded in his picture? That is about the most outstanding example of body language going. Defensive and uncaring. Unreal!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

BTW, have you noticed the current AMA EVP, acting as the current President, has his arms folded in his picture? That is about the most outstanding example of body language going. Defensive and uncaring. Unreal!
What is unreal is how EVERYTHING, even a silly photo, can be used as a reason to make some disparaging remark about the AMA or its leadership.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

What is unreal is how EVERYTHING, even a silly photo, can be used as a reason to make some disparaging remark about the AMA or its leadership.
Don't know about "disparaging" remarks but if you know anything about body language what Hoss says is true.

Regards
Frank
Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Silent-AV8R

Don't know about ''disparaging'' remarks but if you know anything about body language what Hoss says is true.

Regards
Frank
So the only possibility is that Hoss is right and that I am ignorant of the exact science of "body language"??
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM
phlpsfrnk

[quote]ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Don't know about ''disparaging'' remarks but if you know anything about body language what Hoss says is true.

Regards
Frank
So the only possibility is that Hoss is right and that I am ignorant of the exact science of ''body language''??
I did not say that at all. When I looked at the photo I had the same feeling that Hoss described. Don't know that there is a "right" or "wrong" here, just an opinion. Take it for what its worth. Whats your opinion of the photo?

Regards
Frank
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

//SNIP//

Regards
Frank

Thanks for the comments, Frank!

As for my becoming ''unbanned'' from the AMA Forum, I questioned the ban through my District Vice President. Now I am warned should I receive another ban that it will be permanent.
There was no evidence offered to make me think that anything less than ''I Love You'' notes will keep me from being banned again real fast. Maybe not even that!

Now have you received your Sep. issue of ''Model Aviation'' yet? Actually the magazine is extremely well done. I like the razz-muy-tazz way of decoration through the articles. Rather Cute!
Now comes the bomb-drop! Page 7, ''Aero Mail'' !!!! One long letter, authored by one Frank Geisler, is a bit too much.''Muroc's'' thesis is an OK (for me) one I think that it is far too over-played. The first 6 paragraphs lead up to #7 and 8, where he appears to be asking for some manner of sympathy.
In the ''forum'' I, and others, have provided real accurate information where Murocflyer has given either inaccurate or totally false information, especially to AMA questions, such info being explicitly stated in the AMA Membership Manual completely available on the AMA Web site.
As long as the AMA allows this small group of individuals to exercise 101% of control over the AMA Forum and give them free reign to boot anyone for anything, with no responsibility on their part, then provide space for a letter in MA for their self-sympathy, such letter longer than a campaign statement for a national officer to have in election time, I don't see much change in the way business is accomplished. Or just maybe not really accomplished.

Am I sour? Yep!

I don't post in here very often but I have to say this... and this may be my opinion only but the statement made about a permanent ban is really giving me some heartburn. Regardless of Hoss's point of view this just isn't flying with me. Unlike this forum the AMA forum is not, in my opinion a privately held entity. Hoss owns that forum just as much as any other member, officer or moderator. This would be like the owner here or Jim Bourke over at RCG getting a permanent ban from their own forums. I can see temporarily banning a user or users as a cooling off period but a permanent ban. If this is the way that forum is being run I see it as a waste of my dues. I am also going to bring this up at my next club meeting. I think it's time for the AMA forums to go. I'm contacting my district VP and encourage him to push to get rid of the forums.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:04 PM
cj_rumley

(some snips)
Now comes the bomb-drop! Page 7, ''Aero Mail'' !!!! One long letter, authored by one Frank Geisler, is a bit too much.''Muroc's'' thesis is an OK (for me) one I think that it is far too over-played. The first 6 paragraphs lead up to #7 and 8, where he appears to be asking for some manner of sympathy.
In the ''forum'' I, and others, have provided real accurate information where Murocflyer has given either inaccurate or totally false information, especially to AMA questions, such info being explicitly stated in the AMA Membership Manual completely available on the AMA Web site.

Am I sour? Yep!
Hoss, I don't seeing much understatement in your prose over the years, so "a bit too much" seems way under the top! Here I thought you had decided not to run as a write-in candidate for AMA office....
As for being 'sour,' I think it's more like SOWS (Society of Whiners and Snivelers) has gotten to y'all. I thought Jay Smith was getting off to a great start as editor, but publishing that vapid letter was a letdown. The rest of the Sept MA does tend to redeem him, though.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Arbo

As long as the AMA allows this small group of individuals to exercise 101% of control over the AMA Forum
Considering your are griping about Frank, and then mention the forum, I am guessing you are one of the few that still perpetuate the
non-truth that Frank has anything to do with the forum, other than as a normal member that contributes to it. The REALITY is that
he resigned from being a moderator, quite some time ago. So that 'small group' that is left in charge, is mostly AMA people from HQ.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: bullseye000
I don't post in here very often but I have to say this... and this may be my opinion only but the statement made about a permanent ban is really giving me some heartburn. Regardless of Hoss's point of view this just isn't flying with me. Unlike this forum the AMA forum is not, in my opinion a privately held entity. Hoss owns that forum just as much as any other member, officer or moderator. This would be like the owner here or Jim Bourke over at RCG getting a permanent ban from their own forums. I can see temporarily banning a user or users as a cooling off period but a permanent ban. If this is the way that forum is being run I see it as a waste of my dues. I am also going to bring this up at my next club meeting. I think it's time for the AMA forums to go. I'm contacting my district VP and encourage him to push to get rid of the forums.
No, the members do not OWN the AMA forum. There are rules, and there is a terms of use agreed to when you sign up for it. No more than any member OWNS the AMA itself.

The forum is being run in accordance with the rules as put forth on the site. Nothing more. Those that habitually break them, get banned, it's in the rules.

But I will take a stab in the dark and guess none of that matters. Eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.