Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the Sport's Flyers Association?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Whatever happened to the Sport's Flyers Association?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by thatairplaneguy
SFA was brought up in a conversation today.

Sense se they are gone, is there any other entity available to insure model aircraft users OR does the AMA have a monopoly on this?

I am not apposed or dislike AMA but I think we should have options. I do not like that AMA is secondary insurance. I'd rather pay more and not have to drag my home owners or car insurance into an Incident. This is why I pay AMA (aside from every field requiring it) so I have some coverage if there were an accident. With current AMA, they won't pay a dime unless there is no other avenue and every safety rule and suggestion was followed to a T.
Is it bad they cover themselves too? No. But then why am I giving my money away to an organization that does nothing for me or even my flying group if an accident occurred?
I agree 100% that a primary insurance would be great , but have yet to see any insurance companies offering it , and I shudder to think what the premimum would be if any did .

I would of course keep the AMA for other reasons beyond insurance , but not having to bother either my homeowners or the AMA with a claim would be 2 great reasons if a reasonably priced primary policy could be found .

Just remember , ANY insurance policy is going to have "conditions" that will also need to be "followed to a T" if your expecting them to cover a loss caused by you .

Just curious , have ya ever read ALL the fine print in your automobile insurance policy ? I have , and yes sir , there's all kinds of conditions in there .......
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sense se they are gone, is there any other entity available to insure model aircraft users OR does the AMA have a monopoly on this?

I am not apposed or dislike AMA but I think we should have options. I do not like that AMA is secondary insurance. I'd rather pay more and not have to drag my home owners or car insurance into an Incident. This is why I pay AMA (aside from every field requiring it) so I have some coverage if there were an accident. With current AMA, they won't pay a dime unless there is no other avenue and every safety rule and suggestion was followed to a T.
Is it bad they cover themselves too? No. But then why am I giving my money away to an organization that does nothing for me or even my flying group if an accident occurred?
Wow, thread zombie.
Just about every insurance company in the country will write you a personal liability policy that will cover your model flying - you'll not be happy with the premium cost, but you can get yourself covered easily.
AMA pays property damage claims all the time, usually of the "airplane hit car" variety and one of the "rules" in the AMA code calls for a range check that I doubt is very rarely done prior to the accident, so to say that "every safety rule and suggestion was followed to a T" is a bit disingenuous.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's put things in perspective..........

If you want to have AMA to be your primary insurer for model airplane related liability coverage, ask you HO provider for a rider that excludes coverage of MA activities. Viola! AMA insurance is primary. How many folks do you think would do that? Not me..............

If you want to fly at an AMA chartered field, it's a tax you have to pay. Suck it up.

cj
Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 AM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

I don't like taxes, lol

aside from that I just want options. I've tried to start a public flying field and got shot down because AMA was not primary. It basicaly means nothing as far as insurance when you look into it. The city didn't want anything to do with it if they would be involved in any way at all with any incidents. So until I find a primary a public and perminat flying site in my county is out. That's a shame.

I was was told we could right in the by laws that the land owner would in no way be liable for anything but would the AMA actually pay then? they didn't two years ago when a plane hit a car. Rules were follows but they wanted HO and car insurance from both parties involved to lay before they would. Then they needed proof neither would pay and long story short it was a mess that went no where and the field owner almost lost his HO and he ended up paying out of pocket. He hasn't flown sense and we could be told to pack up and go at any time if he wishes.
So I'm trying to go through the county and city for public land to be set aside soley for model flying at a public park or the old landfill. They want nothing to do with it once they looked into the AMA policies. They would be more than happy to give us land if they never had to be involved in any way once we start flying. But that's not possible as far as I know without a primary insurer so I was just looking for options. And there aren't any options.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Sounds like you are trying to start an AMA chartered club...if that is correct, the insurance from AMA will be primary for the land owner.

Just wondering how the lying dog got kicked??? How/why did AMA even get mentioned in the first place? The mere mentioning 2.5 mil insurance scares the hell out of and puts most land owners on a defensive guard.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Silent-AV8R

I don't like taxes, lol

aside from that I just want options. I've tried to start a public flying field and got shot down because AMA was not primary. It basicaly means nothing as far as insurance when you look into it. The city didn't want anything to do with it if they would be involved in any way at all with any incidents. So until I find a primary a public and perminat flying site in my county is out. That's a shame.
If you form a club you can then get a flying site owner's policy that covers the landowner as PRIMARY be they a private or public entity.

From the AMA website:

• Primary Site Owner Insurance ‑ up to $5,000,000 each location
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 AM
koastrc

Politics, the only game with no rules. People jump up and let it be known they hate politics. We all politic in some form. Think about it. Model aviators don't seem to be very good politicians. Just about every club has one or two that have some knowledge of how to handle government politics. City, county, state, or federal. All work the same basic way. If there is a advantage for the politicians to have a model air craft park, you will have a aircraft park. Take a closed land fill. Some slick model aviator comes along and show the land fill can be used and make the locals look good. Politicians are like your Wife. You tell them how good they are doing and how good they look. Does it help to have a National Organization that provides insurance. Of course it does. There is some super slick politicians that post on this forum all the time. Some are so slick they fly in the very middle of some very busy parks. Hat off gentlemen.
Never forget, the best insurance policy in the world is one you don;t have to use.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:03 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not apposed or dislike AMA but I think we should have options. I do not like that AMA is secondary insurance. I'd rather pay more and not have to drag my home owners or car insurance into an Incident.
Just have your agent add a rider (or make whatever change required) to your personal insurance to exclude model aircraft and then AMA is primary.

Last edited by mr_matt; 02-24-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have always thought as MAAC members (Canada) having primary insurance coverage was quite a bonus. $75 a year MAAC membership and 5 mill primary insurance. With the rising cost in premiums we too wonder how much longer we can hang on to it.

Dennis
Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, what the internet can help in providing. Just last week I and another were talking about what ever happened to the SFA. To bad it turned out as it did. I was an SFA member for a period and really liked the magazine and the fact that an AMA member was welcome to fly and be covered at my SFA field, even though the AMA did not allow SFA members to operate at their chartered clubs.

There were occasions where I held fly-ins at my local SFA field in the early 90 time frame and people from local AMA fields would come over and join forces with us. Slowly I gravitated back to the AMA because of my interest in competition and desire to visit some friends at their AMA chartered locations and have been loyal to the AMA since.

Thanks for the insight to what went down.

Former SFA Summerdale Airport Bums, Summerdale Alabama became the AMA’s Summerdale Aero Modelers.

Wonder if they stille xist. I started that group at my house on 6 acres with a 50 foot wide 600 foot long grass strip. The original name was created because we all worked together at local airports as A&Ps and I taught about 5 A&P guys to fly from the area, so the name airport bums seemed appropriate at the time. My wife however hated the name not understanding the honor of being known as an airport bum, but I caved and made the change to Aero Modelers.

We had fun back in the day, but now I have fun here with my newly (thirteen years now) flying friends in good old Oklahoma. RC is funny that way. You move, make new flying friends, but always enjoy the memories of the old ones too. Some I still have contact with today.

Hope I did not bore you,

Steve

In this 90s photo, a friend mows in the back ground while our good friend played.

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 07-05-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Captmicom

Hi Red,

Are you still out there? We need to talk off line!! Please give me a call..