Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another arf front cover

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another arf front cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another arf front cover

Subject title says it all. It's funny- there is, in brackets, 'helicopters: a guide for beginners' on this month's AMA rag cover. Kinda makes me think a potential hobbyist should get an arf hover plane for starters learning to fly copters! LOL
Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another arf front cover

It seems to me that MA is steadily going down hill. I am a builder with silk and dope so I am not a representative AMA member. I have a long standing subscription to Flying Models, which I consider far superior to MA. Flying Models is a commercial venture and has no captive audience. No one has to buy it. I wonder if this explains why I think Flying Models is much better than MA. It has to be or it would go broke. I wouldn't buy MA, as it exists today, if it were a stand alone magazine. There seem to be a fair number of AMA members who think the same. If MA is to be the voice of model aviation, maybe they could learn something from Flying Models, and do a better job.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I spend about 1/2 hour looking through MA when it somes in the mail. After that it goes in the restrroom to help pass the time when needed. We are in an ever changing world gentlemen. ARFs are the norm. Look at the Joe Nall coverage in the previous issue, 9 out of ten airplanes are ARF. Myself, I can't stand to be flying anything that I did not build myself and from what I gather you are the same but we are a minority. R/C in general is seeing a rapid growth because of the ARF and BNF models. This is a good thing. More volume mean better prices and hopefully more flying sites. My philosophy, keep building if that is your thing and support the hobby and it's changes, it's what is in our best interest.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I used to have MA in the Library, but I get board with it too fast,,, I have a Sudoku now.

Not to beat a dead horse, but My question/gripe on MA,, why aren't the photos in district reports in Color?? The whole mag is in color,,
What are the saving $.15 an issue with the last few ages in b/w,, or do they think it looks cool?? I don't get it
Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM
bullseye000

In the grand scheme of things... who cares?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Jim Thomerson

I do.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: bullseye000

obviously,,,me too

Don't you wish something you belong to could be the best it could be?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
ARUP

You are absolutely correct! Who cares? AMA doesn't, even though we get lip service about getting kids involved, growing the hobby, etc. I don't see how pushing arf models will help this hobby in the long haul. It certainly will help the Chinese in the short run!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Is the AMA a "for profit" or a "non-profit"? I'm too lazy to look it up. Thanks.

Kurt
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes, the good 'ol days of modeling when real modelers grew their own balsa trees and made their own glue. Kids today, just don't get it.

ARFs are here to stay. They have a place, have given loads of new people access to the hobby, and serve a need for those who prefer to spend their time flying instead of building. Like I said, they're here to stay, get over it.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 PM
beepee

Silent you are right. There are two separate hobbies here. Building and flying. Just because someone chooses to participate in only one of them, should not be cause for ridicule. So they miss out on the joy of creating a flying airplane from a random stack of wood. That is OK. They are still flyers.

Do trout fishermen look down on those that don't build their own boat? Their own fishing rod, or reel?

Bedford
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: ARUP

You are absolutely correct! Who cares? AMA doesn't, even though we get lip service about getting kids involved, growing the hobby, etc. I don't see how pushing arf models will help this hobby in the long haul. It certainly will help the Chinese in the short run!!!
I would not call the latest NAA anouncment "lip service".

NAA Announces Academy of Model Aeronautics as Recipient of 2011 Brewer Trophy for Aviation Education

http://naa.aero/html/awards/index.cf...d=389&cmsid=58

But then what does the NAA know?

Regards
Frank
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

Here's your chance to do something about "another arf front cover"

Who will submit a plan built model, or who is more content to just B&M on RCU?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 AM
KidEpoxy

a quick visit to the 'Focal Point' section of the magazine kinda demonstrates
that the magazine DOES get pictures of built planes sent in by proud modelers.

Perhaps we(ama) should give cover preference to model builders over model buyers.
I would rather see a kinda-sloppy 'best-effort' model from a 10yo
than a picture of some BNF

...how much pride of craftsmanship is there in the way you Binded that model to you radio
Wow, thats a real nice Bind job you did there Carl, what you use, index finger?
Nope, I tried pushing the button with my thumb this tine, and I really like the way it came out

vs Lil Timmy
Look Look Look hey look at my plane. Me and dad made it in the kitchen and it really flies and everything

We should showcase what our building members built,
over what our flying members bought
Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 AM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: corch

Here's your chance to do something about ''another arf front cover''

Who will submit a plan built model, or who is more content to just B&M on RCU?
I've done that before. In response to repeated coverage of a members' builds (who really is a nice guy, BTW) I submitted photos to let the magazine know this fella isn't the only person to build airplanes of a particular genre. Only one photo was used and it was reduced in size so as to be difficult to evaluate. No construction details were given, only my name was printed, that I built the same type of model and all was relegated to the rear of the rag. I am not 'into' seeing my name in print. It was more of an exercise to let folks know that the airplanes touted actually exist in other parts of the country! Oh well... *sigh*... The point is that the magazine could be a great vehicle to disseminate info about its members as modelers instead of promoting arf models. There is nothing for me to 'get over' except that the arf avenue cheapens the image of modelers in the public's eye and relegates the hobby to a lesser domain of 'buy today- throw away tomorrow' toys. Everybody has an opinion and no one person, including me, is right or has all the answers. Wish I did! I'm sure working at the AMA is not fun a lot of times. I'm glad to have seen coverage of the indoor FF models and I read about them even though I don't actively participate or build those types. One day, maybe....
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Live Wire

Look how well RCM done with their COVERS Then came the buy and fly.[:@] Some assembly required.[]
Old 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Over six months ago our club held a flying day demonstration that was attended by over 300 spectators. We had a large static display, flew different types of models with narration and gave anyone who wanted, time on a buddy box. A great event and a lot of fun.

Photos and a write up were sent to AMA and the district VP....nothing. Not even a thanks, kiss my a@@, nothing.

We just completed a big indoor display at the county fair. The fair board contacted us because of the previous demo day as the fair theme was "Just Plane Fun!" with airplanes in their logo. The display was manned to answer questions and we had hundreds of folks and kids stop by...and maybe picked up a few new members. The fair manager already invited us back for next year as he said our display was one of the favorites there.

Photos and a write up will be sent to AMA but I expect the same result...nothing.

AMA does a lot of pontificating and pressuring members to do more promoting of model aviation. But if they aren't personally involved, and you aren't located in the midwest or east, you won't hear about it.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have kit built and some arfs.. ALL of my arfs I bought broke cheap and fixed

The funny thing is when an ARF goes in I find myself looking at the debris and thinking,,ah thats how they put that together. When a kit goes in..its more of a feeling like someones dog got hit by a car...

I know ARC's never seemed to do well. It surprises me..I CAN"T stand having the same looking plane as everyone else
Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 AM
M_Callahan

Anybody think that the cover picture was more about the event (XFC) and not the arf in the picture?

Was there even a kit built plane at the XFC?

If you are taking pictures of flying at the XFC, and nobody brought a kit plane, how do you avoid
photographing an ARF?

I guess they could have taken a shot of the crowd and used it for the cover, to avoid publishing a picture
of an ARF.

Mike ( I build my planes, well most of them anyway)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Oberst
Banned

Here we go again with the ARF trashing again! It's like beating a dead horse.

So it's a ARF on the cover. WHO CARES! I'm too busy building, assembling, modifying, customizing and scratch building, taking care of a family and paying bills rather than to come in here to start a negitive debate.

I think it would be more productive if you would help beginners and teach others your building skills, and to share your new idea's than to start another useless debate that has no end in sight.

GET A LIFE!

Pete
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM
creisele

Well said Oberst. To much negativity here. Plenty of room in this hobby for builders and flyers.

Chris
Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM
TBONE6

I'm an ARF assembler..........for now

Seems to me that builders are jealous that ARFs look so good.......

when in reality, Assemblers are jealous of a builders skills.

It would take me years to get in the air if I had to build a plane myself.

P.S. what about a BNF foamie on the cover of MAN???????[:'(]

Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM
scale only 4 me

It seems this thread was intended to flame that same stupid fire,,,

It's coverage of the FXC,, anyone who's been to a 3d event knows it's all ARFs, been that way for years,,

time to get over it
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

It's coverage of the FXC,, anyone who's been to a 3d event knows it's all ARFs, been that way for years,,

time to get over it
+1, Agreed!

Some old fogeys are bitter about the 'new age' airplanes (ARFs).

The AMA is also targeting new pilots to join the brotherhood, so ARFs are a great and easy way to interest them... Not everyone has the 'skills' to scratch-build, or even build a kit and/or cover or paint it.

ARFs were not around when I started flying RC, and I certainly don't despise them when I see them on the cover of a magazine or in a LHS. Some folks should just overlook the fact that ARFs are here to stay and go build something 'in protest' of the new age in RC.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM
TBONE6

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

time to get over it
agreed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.