Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

ama ought to be aware of this

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

ama ought to be aware of this

Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 AM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ama ought to be aware of this

They (U.S. Army) are now carrying explosives on small back pack planes. To small for radar to pickup, hard to tell from a big bird if it does happen catch it.

http://defense-update.com/20110902_switchblade.html
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: ama ought to be aware of this

Given the size I wonder how much munitions load it can carry. Seems almost like a flying hand grenade type of thing.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to question how/why this involves the AMA in any manner. If there is indeed a legitimate connection to the AMA then this thread can remain here in this forum, otherwise I'll need to move it to a more appropriate forum. Please let me know how this connects.

Ken
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

It doesn't. Dennis
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I have to question how/why this involves the AMA in any manner. If there is indeed a legitimate connection to the AMA then this thread can remain here in this forum, otherwise I'll need to move it to a more appropriate forum. Please let me know how this connects.

Ken
Ken, in this day and age, IMO, anything about any Radio-Controlled aerial item is a significant thing in any portion of the RC activity. Given that AMA is in a situation relative to FAA and DOT in several issues, any and all relative subjects, AMA should be well aware of all such factors. In the real world of today, RC activity is no longer relegated to the toy airplane flier at the local facility.

Now that I have your attention, I'll say this: AMA has to pay much more attention to the world situation than RCU pays to the complaints of this now mediocre website and those that ask questions but are never answered in the Problems forum.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
The Toolman

Ken

Is silent your go to man for instructions now Ken?

The ama ought to keep up on this since it is a small enough plane to carry explosives. You know, about the same size as some of ours.

I know you just look for ways to keep me out of the ama forum, don't ya?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Given the size I wonder how much munitions load it can carry. Seems almost like a flying hand grenade type of thing.

In the news ths morn they said they are going to use them to carry a small explosive to take out 1 person, rather than a hellfire that takes out everybody around who they are after.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Ken
Ken, in this day and age, IMO, anything about any Radio-Controlled aerial item is a significant thing in any portion of the RC activity. Given that AMA is in a situation relative to FAA and DOT in several issues, any and all relative subjects, AMA should be well aware of all such factors. In the real world of today, RC activity is no longer relegated to the toy airplane flier at the local facility.

Now that I have your attention, I'll say this: AMA has to pay much more attention to the world situation than RCU pays to the complaints of this now mediocre website and those that ask questions but are never answered in the Problems forum.

Thanx Hoss...........

Ron
Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Nothing of the sort. In fact, I welcome your participation in the AMA forum becuase you often bring a useful counterpoint to a lot of discussions. I asked this question becuase I don't see how it involves the AMA, and I would have asked it no matter who posted the thread.

Ken

Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Nothing of the sort. In fact, I welcome your participation in the AMA forum becuase you often bring a useful counterpoint to a lot of discussions. I asked this question becuase I don't see how it involves the AMA, and I would have asked it no matter who posted the thread.

Ken
I agree. It is sometimes interesting to get a non-AMA members take on topics. Though in this case the subject matter has absolutely nothing to do with the AMA, and subsequently should be moved to te clubhouse forum.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

I agree. It is sometimes interesting to get a non-AMA members take on topics. Though in this case the subject matter has absolutely nothing to do with the AMA, and subsequently should be moved to te clubhouse forum.

"AMA expresses outrage at terrorist’s action - Posted on: 09/29/2011
The Academy’s leadership has issued a reaction to the news that a Massachusetts man has been apprehended by the FBI for attempting to convert RC model jets into UAVs similar to military drones to attack the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon.
Read More"

This posting on AMA's site (2nd item in news), and the obvious similarity to OP's topic, says in their own word that it is AMA business. The snotty remark about OP's presumed status as member, however, has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

That's exactly what's designed for. It's purpose is hitting troops.

Joe
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Silent-AV8R

Something else to realize, the UAV industry has loads of RC guys in it. I know at least 4 long time modelers that work at Aerovironment for instance. I know others who work for Northrup-Gruman and General Atomic, all in their various UAV programs. Everywhere you look in the UAV world you are likely to stumble across more than a few RC guys.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

"AMA expresses outrage at terrorist’s action - Posted on: 09/29/2011
The Academy’s leadership has issued a reaction to the news that a Massachusetts man has been apprehended by the FBI for attempting to convert RC model jets into UAVs similar to military drones to attack the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon.
Read More"

This posting on AMA's site (2nd item in news), and the obvious similarity to OP's topic, says in their own word that it is AMA business. The snotty remark about OP's presumed status as member, however, has nothing to do with the topic.

That the U.S. Military is (and has been for awhile) using unmanned aircraft is AMA business?Gee, I wonder what they should be doing about Predators. Snotty remark about the OP's presumed status?What? I have presumed nothing and was making a valid point about getting a take from a non-member. Someone outside the box. Your remark is uninformed.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 AM
The Toolman

''AMA expresses outrage at terrorist’s action - Posted on: 09/29/2011
Read More''

That the U.S. Military is (and has been for awhile) using unmanned aircraft is AMA business? Gee, I wonder what they should be doing about Predators. Snotty remark about the OP's presumed status? What? I have presumed nothing and was making a valid point about getting a take from a non-member. Someone outside the box. Your remark is uninformed.

The switchblade is something that is new an small. Some of our small planes could be mistaken for one of these by certain people. There for, ama should keep its members informed an try not to build something that looks identical to one of these critters.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

How about this?

http://www.suasnews.com/2011/10/9289...e-looking-for/
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

''AMA expresses outrage at terrorist’s action - Posted on: 09/29/2011
Read More''

That the U.S. Military is (and has been for awhile) using unmanned aircraft is AMA business? Gee, I wonder what they should be doing about Predators. Snotty remark about the OP's presumed status? What? I have presumed nothing and was making a valid point about getting a take from a non-member. Someone outside the box. Your remark is uninformed.

The switchblade is something that is new an small. Some of our small planes could be mistaken for one of these by certain people. There for, ama should keep its members informed an try not to build something that looks identical to one of these critters.
Impossible. there are so many weapon systems under current development (and many being tested and used) that it would mean we could not build anything at all because it might look or resemble a weapon system. remember the information you get is just the tip of the iceberg... Remember a lot of the info is classified as secret...

Gerry

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Tjettzky

I hope the the pilots have AMA insurance to cover any damage that might occur when these things land...[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
ctrout

I can see why to post such a thing but not leaving it open to talk about within the AMA area.
Leave the info if anyone needs to see it but lock it. thats about it.
Talking about it seems better in the war area of the site.
my 2 cent.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: Tjettzky

I hope the the pilots have AMA insurance to cover any damage that might occur when these things land...[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Are they light enough for PPP?

@ Toolman:

I see your point, and it is a good one, but it ( the warning/post/info ) would be better served in the Clubhouse forum where it would reach more viewers.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 AM
The Toolman

@ Toolman:

I see your point, and it is a good one, but it ( the warning/post/info ) would be better served in the Clubhouse forum where it would reach more viewers.

Been messing with my old Tractors an showing them this summer. So I guess I missed the part where you all added a war zone section.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been messing with my old Tractors an showing them this summer. So I guess I missed the part where you all added a war zone section.

Hey, Man, I thought this forum WAS/IS the War Zone!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 AM
ctrout

@ Toolman:

Thinking the same thing.. If the site has no area for such talk "weapons" in a model aircraft forum maybe talking "weapons" would be better in another forum..

Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 AM
KidEpoxy

?????
He should have 'AMA' insurance for them linked craft????
The FPV without Buddybox armed to kill folks they hit, that AMA dont insure (los & intentional homicde),
or the paid pilots developing the ACAT Auto-GCAS that AMA dont insure (commercial)?

Yes, I too hope they (paid NASA pilots & US Troops Killing folks) have insurance
but I dont see why someone would pick by name the one insurance company that wouldnt work.
Come on... AMA should insure military flying bombs, so we can pay the folks our troops kill[:@] I dont think so