Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Here is the REAL NEWS!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Here is the REAL NEWS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here is the REAL NEWS!

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Election should close later, who really wants to pay in October for next year? I don't so I wait until closer to the end of the year. Not trying to start an argument... just explaining why I do not vote.
Sorry, that dog doesn't hunt. Sending in your ballot has nothing to do with sending in your membership unless you were not a member in 2011. The ballot was postage paid and addressed, all you had to do was drop it in the mail box.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: mongo

''Bob Brown 7,683'', ''AMA President elected by only 41% of the membership''

someone wana explain ''red math'' to me.

in what univerese is 7,683 41% of 140,000 or more members?
Sorry to confuse you. I should have said voting membership. I've edited the post to fix so no one else is led astray.

I assume "univerese" above is the same as universe.
It now does work better than your straw poll where Jesky had 5 of the 7 votes in his district that counted for only 29%, or poor Mike Mosbrooker that had half the votes in his district counting for a paltry 5%.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Well all that won did so by a very clear margin, nobody was very close. The percentage of people that voted is in line with my experience in other organizations (some of them professional). It seems that a lot of people really do not care to vote. I think only people that do vote have the right to bitc..h and moan. But that is just me.

Also, there is a trend of people writing names. Many times for what I learned they write the name of somebody else (as a joke). Others do this (for what I was told) to see if that vote was really counted. Example: you vote for Mickey or Goofy (provided they are not running for office). A stupid way to waste a vote!

Gerry
Oh so often the *****ing and moaning is about who is "selected'" to run for office. Since I don't know what is going on with the AMA since I jsut rejoined after many years out, I am more referring to national politics. Some of us, and yes I said US, refuse to vote until the parties, any party, puts up a candidate worth voting for. And I'll use my First Amendment right to ***** about that any time it fits.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

It now does work better than your straw poll where Jesky had 5 of the 7 votes in his district that counted for only 29%, or poor Mike Mosbrooker that had half the votes in his district counting for a paltry 5%.
Don't confuse the real world with what happens or is posted on RCU, RCG or AMA forums. All the polls were so far off what really happened that it should tell us something.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[
[/quote]

Oh so often the *****ing and moaning is about who is ''selected''' to run for office. Since I don't know what is going on with the AMA since I jsut rejoined after many years out, I am more referring to national politics. Some of us, and yes I said US, refuse to vote until the parties, any party, puts up a candidate worth voting for. And I'll use my First Amendment right to ***** about that any time it fits.
[/quote]

I see your point if you are talking about national politics. But in that case I am sure there will be a candidate that is not D nor R that has no chance to win you can vote for:-) And please, keep B***ng at your leisure:-) It will not change a thing, but you know that as long as we cant B**** it means we are alive:-)

We bi*** therefore we are

Gerry
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Dont vote? = no right to complain about the results. also no need to use the censored language, it detracts from your message.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM
bobfox
My Feedback: (1)

I don't vote because I really DON'T care who gets elected. Geez, this is a hobby, not our government. The AMA leadership decisions are not life-changing or impact people to any measurable extent. There's really not an ounce of difference among the candiates anyway. When's the last time a platform included closing the "national" flying site? How about offering the option of insurance-only membership? The candidates just can't be differentiated much. In reality, it really doesn't matter to most members who gets elected. A lot like the catholic church. The only people who are contenders to be Pope are those who never rocked the boat their whole careers. That's why it's so hard to tell Popes apart.

Now, here's an interesting thought. My bet is that the number of AMA members who visit the national flying site annually is less than the number who voted in the annual election. Does that mean that members don't give a care about the national flying site, either???

So color me guilty on the voting. Yes, I don't care. Sorry, can't theorize any longer. I have a plane to fly.

Bob

PS. I promise I won't gripe about who got elected.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
bkdavy

Here's another point - I recieved the ballot, I read the campaign statements, I researched the candidates as much as I possibly could. Based on what I found, I couldn't find anything that disqualified any candidates, and so decided that I didn't need to worry about it. I think we're in good hands for the next few years. I think 41% is actually a pretty good turnout, and accept the results. And I'm guessing a large portion of the 59% that didn't vote probably feel similarly.

Brad
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: bobfox

I don't vote because I really DON'T care who gets elected. Geez, this is a hobby, not our government. The AMA leadership decisions are not life-changing or impact people to any measurable extent. There's really not an ounce of difference among the candiates anyway. When's the last time a platform included closing the ''national'' flying site? How about offering the option of insurance-only membership? The candidates just can't be differentiated much. In reality, it really doesn't matter to most members who gets elected. A lot like the catholic church. The only people who are contenders to be Pope are those who never rocked the boat their whole careers. That's why it's so hard to tell Popes apart.

Now, here's an interesting thought. My bet is that the number of AMA members who visit the national flying site annually is less than the number who voted in the annual election. Does that mean that members don't give a care about the national flying site, either???

So color me guilty on the voting. Yes, I don't care. Sorry, can't theorize any longer. I have a plane to fly.

Bob

+1
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

actually, i was looking for someone, with a sense of humor to chime in...
why in RC Universe, of course.

and fat fingers, don't really help much with typing skills that are marginal at best.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I don't vote because I really DON'T care who gets elected. Geez, this is a hobby, not our government. The AMA leadership decisions are not life-changing or impact people to any measurable extent. There's really not an ounce of difference among the candiates anyway. When's the last time a platform included closing the ''national'' flying site? How about offering the option of insurance-only membership? The candidates just can't be differentiated much. In reality, it really doesn't matter to most members who gets elected. A lot like the catholic church. The only people who are contenders to be Pope are those who never rocked the boat their whole careers. That's why it's so hard to tell Popes apart.

Bob

What a crappy attitude; I don't see you up on capital hill defending our right to enjoy our sport when the Government is looking at controlling it!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I think 41% is actually a pretty good turnout, and accept the results. And I'm guessing a large portion of the 59% that didn't vote probably feel similarly. 
By my calc, only 0.132%, or thirteen percent, of the entire AMA membership voted. Appalling!  []

Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Bob

What a crappy attitude; I don't see you up on capital hill defending our right to enjoy our sport when the Government is looking at controlling it!

Dont recall seeing you there either [X(]
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Warbirdguy

I have an idea, maybe if AMA made being a member of the governing body a paid position, and offered perks like paid trips over seas, your own personal jet, a gauranteed retirement after a couple terms served and your own health insurance better than any companies you ever worked for. Then, you would see the membership vote and probably membership double in a year LOL

Personally, I have way more important things to worry about than who is the president of the AMA. I have no idea of who any of those are and doubt I will ever meet any of them. Things are getting done so I dont worry. You can call me what ever you want. But I do have a sense of reality. I congradulate all those that won a seat and any that are returning for another year. Im more than sure you deserved it and have nothing bad to say about any of them. Keep up the good work. I will keep making my statement with my AMA renewal. Anything other than that, to me, is a personal choice.

Good luck to all the canidates. And have a great year I just hope we are all still here after Dec 2012 LOL

WBG
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Bozarth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Dont vote? = no right to complain about the results.
I'm confused. I have to pay to be a member AND vote before I can complain?

Kurt
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Dont vote? = no right to complain about the results.
I'm confused. I have to pay to be a member AND vote before I can complain?

Kurt
Oh, it gets worse...you can pay and even vote to only be belittled and label "anti AMA" for the mere mention that AMA might even consider a small tweak...and no one gives a rats arse.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

143,000 x $58=$8,294,000 in dues, could someone please tell me how much of that is spent on actual insurance? How much is spent on that park flyer magazine they call model avaition, that I find the only good use is for mixing epoxy on! If you fly gas or glow it is basically WORTHLESS!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Yep afraid so, if you are incapable of putting a couple marks on a prepaid ballot and mailing it, you loose the right to complain about the AMA. No effort, no right to complain. You have not earned it. KIDE if you vote you earn the right, just dont expect everyone to agree with you.

Vince
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Bozarth

... You have not earned it. KIDE if you vote you earn the right,.......
Vince

I'm still confused. Am I paying for the right or do I have to earn it in some way? Am I a consumer purchasing a product or am I buying a spot in the constituency? Or as someone earlier put it, is it a privilege to become an AMA member, in which case my dues must be to win favor and receive the privilege?

Kurt
Old 11-23-2011, 03:30 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did not know that, I get the AMA re-up letter and don't even open it. That begs a question, why should I get to vote on the new years officers when I may not even renew? Does that dog hunt?

Election should close later, who really wants to pay in October for next year? I don't so I wait until closer to the end of the year. Not trying to start an argument... just explaining why I do not vote.
Sorry, that dog doesn't hunt. Sending in your ballot has nothing to do with sending in your membership unless you were not a member in 2011. The ballot was postage paid and addressed, all you had to do was drop it in the mail box.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 AM

Did not know that, I get the AMA re-up letter and don't even open it. That begs a question, why should I get to vote on the new years officers when I may not even renew? Does that dog hunt?

Yes, because you are still a paid member thru the end of the election process.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Bob

Dont recall seeing you there either [X(]
You are correct, I wasn't in Washington either defending our sport, but I voted, part of the minority that cares to vote and show an interest.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't voted in years. Haven't seen anybody to vote for or against, and I cannot afford to pay till after Christmass. If not paying why bother unless there is a strong candidate for or against.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

143,000 x $58=$8,294,000 in dues, could someone please tell me how much of that is spent on actual insurance? How much is spent on that park flyer magazine they call model avaition, that I find the only good use is for mixing epoxy on! If you fly gas or glow it is basically WORTHLESS!
If you can read financial statements, everything you wish to know can be found at:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...tatements.aspx
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

Seems every forum I read about AMA, this same subject comes up....come on guys, give it a rest or go to a thread that deals with such. This is about voting, not accounting. gezzzzz.

Everyone that has posted, other than the accounting issue, has made a valid point for or against. Like I said, its a personal choice.

The only thing I kinda dont agree with, is the statement that, since you dont vote, you have no right to complain. This is not a goverment issue. This is a club issue. So, if I pay a fee to be a part of the club, then I have the right to complain Now, if something is broken, and needs fixed, and I dont vote to have the problem fixed, then I think your point is valid. But as stated, I dont think it is a valid point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.