Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Have You Flown an RC Model Under the Influence of Alcohol?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I have, and it was more fun than sober
12.65%
No, and never will
80.72%
Yes, and i regret it
4.22%
No, but i think id like to give it a try
2.41%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Flown an RC Model Under the Influence of Alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have You Flown an RC Model Under the Influence of Alcohol?

I knew a guy once who was a fantastic golfer, but only if he had downed about two six packs. Anyway, we went over to Germany to play in a command tournament and he said "I think I'll play this one sober". It was a three day tournament and for the first two days he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but managed to stay in the top ten. On the last day we had finished our round and were waiting on him to come in. Looking down the 18th, in the distance we saw him hit his second shot on the par 5 stiff to the flag, after which he fell down. We knew right then that he was drunk and to top all he came from behind and won the tournament. Personally, if I drink while playing I get worse! Alcohol affects all of us differently but it's still too risky to fly rc and drink.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha lol.. Man I think your on to something ..
Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a former 2003 AMA safty officer.. I can't drink and dive!! Drive or fly. I have to follow the rules.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i would fly if i could stop drinking..help.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need alcohol in your system to appear to be mentally impaired while flying RC models. Flying 3D either fixed or rotary wing gives me the impression of being drunk.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
straitnickel

I'd call that more like honestly than grumpy. I've noticed that about myself, how I feel has everything to do with how well I fly.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

Just curious, remember be honest as all the votes are anonymous [8D]
I've never had an R/C model that was under the influence of alcohol. Nitromethane maybe, but not alcohol...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM
FreakyDude

How can you fit in the cockpit? I tried holding my breath and squeezing in but I just don't fit. Sober or drunk 
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the guy that proclaims " I have never done any drugs in my life!" but he goes to the medicine cabinet for asprin,excedrin,tylenol. He also goes to the store for a pack of cigarettes. He takes blood pressure meds, meds for anxiety,cholsterol,Nyquil for a cold.............etc.....ad finitum!

We are a drug sucking pill popping society.

Marijuana,LSD ( acid ), peyote, heroin, meth, speed, amphetimines, barbituates, biodiazapines, SRI's.

Only harmless ALCOHOL has ruined more lives than any of the above. In my 55 years of life I have buried many of my friends due to drugs and alcohol. I find it hard to laugh at a funeral. I drink in moderation and never before flying. Sometimes at the end of the day but never before. As for my personal association with all the above? I have done it all. I have been "clean" for 18 years and will take a drug/alcohol/tobacco test any day on a minutes notice. I am a survivor and damned lucky to be alive.

I now fly model airplanes for my kicks. Tell me one coherent reason why I would need booze to enhance the thrill?

Just do me one big favor......dont text and drive to and from the flying field .

It will kill you deader than hell as per the NTSB. [:'(]

SPEEDY
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

About a million years ago I had a flying buddy that was a bad influence on me. We flew 3 sheets to the wind on several occasions, but the field was otherwise unoccupied and it's located in the boonies. A 3rd, then a 4th showed up one time and joined us, but that never happened again after 2 of the planes were deposited in local trees. We enjoyed ourselves immensely, but it was still pretty obvious this wasn't a very good plan. This happened over the course of one season - and it's never happened since.

Go ahead and make a rule if you like, but I don't think it's necessary. Out of all the guys I've flown with over the years, none drink and fly. A couple might have a beer after they're done flying and the plane's been put away for the day.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM
HunkaJunk

No, I don't drink any alcohol or take any pain medication, I even had surgery and had to have a pacemaker installed and refused all prescriptions for narcotic pain medication.

Granted I was in some pain, but narcotic pain killers don't kill pain, they just get you stoned so hopefully  you don't care if you're in pain. In my case they just make feel weird and I'm still in pain.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

i don't drink. i don't capitolize. i dont care. nor do i speel very goot.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

back in the mid 60s when i was in the airforce we used to go to an empty ball field with several controline planes and at least 2 cases of good german beer and not quit until one or the other ran out we thought at that time it was fun would not do that now with my rc planes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:38 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Well unlike all you drunkards, I play it safe and only drink during a pylon race, after all , most of the guys have hardhats on.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the survey 12% did fly while intoxicated. I bet they also have driven while under the influence... Part of that 12% drink everyday (always a good reason), part are alcoholics, have a problem, but do not know it, and live in denial. It happens in society at large, and we, as modellers, are part of that society. Nothing new there...

Cheers

Gerry
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a my private flying field and it has a place we spend the night in for long weekends. I will put up a glider on a hot summer day and sit in my chair flying it. I have had a beer next to me to sip on while flying. The problem I have is 45 minutes after finishing the beer and the glider is still floating in good summer thermals I need to get rid of that beer. try getting rid of that beer while flying....I've done it.

Pete
Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Reminds me of a story told about the late Martin Cadin, restorer and pilot of Iron Annie Junkers JU 52. When asked by a woman why he drank so much he said "Because I'm afraid of flying." Then the woman asked why he was afraid of flying. He replied, "Because I drink too much."
Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

how does sh#$%^&&t get posted.???enough already..
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
ma_mulcahy

Once, when I was working on my instrument rating with an instructor, I flew ILS approaches while getting over the flu. I felt OK, just not 100%. I was all over the sky and couldn't keep the needles centered to save my soul. That was all the lesson I needed. I never to do ANYTHING requiring precise manual dexterity while running at under 100%.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:56 AM
KidEpoxy

"under the influence of alcohol"

Just to be clear on my answer,
yes I have flown after I had drank,
but I wasnt "Under The Influence"

Of course, I am using the definition of Under Influence to be
When you fall unconscious due to drinking alcohol, that is Under The Influence.

whats that?
Ya'll use a different standard for what is and isnt Under the Influence?

Well, I know we can alternatively use the classic standard: 72hrs Bottle To Throttle,
or perhaps the legal standard: 0.10 BAC
(or perhaps the other legal standard: 0.08 BAC)
(or perhaps the other legal standard: 0.05 BAC)
(or perhaps the other legal standard: 0.04 BAC)
....... but that depends on just where do you live and when, cause the LegalStandard is very dynamic.
OR we could use the Hour-A-Shot standard,
and some folks even consider just 8hrs to be plenty of time after drinking 7 beers chasing 4 SoCo On Crushed.

But I'm sure we all agree that there really is only one true definition of Under the influence of alcohol:
Any detectable amount in the blood does "influence", the greater the BAC above ZERO the greater the influence.
Zero Alcohol zero influence, Some alcohol some influence, and it takes a LOOOOOOooong time to get down to Zero.

So I guess the question to the OP is,
which of the many definitions of Under The Influence are we talking about?

I guess we should be using the definition that AMA uses..... uh, oh wait, where exactly is that published again??
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

''under the influence of alcohol''

Just to be clear on my answer,
yes I have flown after I had drank,
but I wasnt ''Under The Influence''

Of course, I am using the definition of Under Influence to be
When you fall unconscious due to drinking alcohol, that is Under The Influence.

whats that?
Ya'll use a different standard for what is and isnt Under the Influence?

Well, I know we can alternatively use the classic standard: 72hrs Bottle To Throttle,
or perhaps the legal standard: 0.10 BAC
(or perhaps the other legal standard: 0.08 BAC)
(or perhaps the other legal standard: 0.05 BAC)
(or perhaps the other legal standard: 0.04 BAC)
....... but that depends on just where do you live and when, cause the LegalStandard is very dynamic.
OR we could use the Hour-A-Shot standard,
and some folks even consider just 8hrs to be plenty of time after drinking 7 beers chasing 4 SoCo On Crushed.

But I'm sure we all agree that there really is only one true definition of Under the influence of alcohol:
Any detectable amount in the blood does ''influence'', the greater the BAC above ZERO the greater the influence.
Zero Alcohol zero influence, Some alcohol some influence, and it takes a LOOOOOOooong time to get down to Zero.

So I guess the question to the OP is,
which of the many definitions of Under The Influence are we talking about?

I guess we should be using the definition that AMA uses..... uh, oh wait, where exactly is that published again??
Ever think about running for Congress?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 AM
KidEpoxy

Red
You can jump in with the answer to the question as well.
After all, you used to bandy about on how your way is the AMA way,
so what is the AMA way to know when someone is Under The Influence?

If you dont know, thats ok, just say so.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Red
You can jump in with the answer to the question as well.
After all, you used to bandy about on how your way is the AMA way,
so what is the AMA way to know when someone is Under The Influence?

If you dont know, thats ok, just say so.

Sorry, I've got better things to do than meticulously analyzing minutia. I leave that up to the others that seem to make a hobby of it.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[8D] My reply is to no one in particular , , Im just wondering aloud ...............

What , exactly , is it about the question "Have You Flown an RC Model Under the Influence of Alcohol" that makes this an AMA matter ? I can understand the "sister" thread to this on being an AMA related discussion because it specifically asks if your AMA chartered club allows alcohol on the property , but this thread is really reachin to be called an AMA related thread .

I cant see the need for the AMA to use any other than the legally defined BAC of the region the flyer is operating in . If your too drunk to drive , well then your too drunk to fly . Why make it anymore complicated that it need be .

It would seem the only time a model flyer's BAC would come into legal question would be if he struck someone in a high profile accident (like by killing someone , for instance) , and then the Police would be all over you anyway , and if you were drunk the AMA would be the LEAST of your problems !!!!!

Another "Much ado about nothing" thread , AMA wise , IMHO .........
Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
weathervane

I was attending a weekend event. A few of us had a couple of cold ones when the sun went down. After a can or three I thought it would be a good time to take my night flyer up for a quick flight. Well, I taxied out onto the run way and realized that I was haviing a hard time with the LED's. I decided right there that this was a BAD idea. I did not even taxi back in. I went out and got it.
-Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.