Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

No new AMA cards are mailed to Youth Members

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

No new AMA cards are mailed to Youth Members

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No new AMA cards are mailed to Youth Members

Copied from the AMA website:

"The free AMA Youth Membership is valid through age 19 as of July 1. Each year following, your free AMA Youth Membership card will be emailed to you."

Does this mean that the 2011 card is the only hard AMA identification that young members will have to show at events or to post on club's pin boards?

I understand that they can always show a copy of the received e-mail, but that is not as practical as the traditional card.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/youth.aspx
Old 01-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: No new AMA cards are mailed to Youth Members

I read that to say that a youth member will receive a new card each year until they are 19 by July 1 of a given year. So if a youth turns 10 this year before July 1 they will get a new card. If they turn 19 after July 1 they will have to start paying adult Open dues ($58 per year).

Make sense.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i think, that, he is asking just how does the AMA send out a new "Hard Card" by email. ya know that plastic coated protected card like we opens use.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mongo

i think, that, he is asking just how does the AMA send out a new ''Hard Card'' by email. ya know that plastic coated protected card like we opens use.
HA HA mongo, ya' got him!

"The free AMA Youth Membership is valid through age 19 as of July 1. Each year following, your free AMA Youth Membership card will be emailed to you."

IMO, that means you get ONE hard card, then an email for the each following years until the 19 thing. This would acknowledge the youngster's being retained within AMA.

I still have a situation with this program and the AMA's administration thereof.

I entered my Grand Nephew (12) and Neice (8) in the program. Check made out for nephew to receive the Model Aviation mag. My sister, who cares for the two, sent the forms in mid Sep. Later queries were to the effect of "Not Here". & "We will contact you if they show up." No contacts were ever made so I decided to wait until 1st of year after the renewal rush and the Big Show in CA, to send in new applications.

Well, the check shows up cashed in early Dec. and nephew received his hard copy card on Dec. 22nd. Nothing ever came to my neice. I will be contacting AMA this week for a "review" [8D]

Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mongo

i think, that, he is asking just how does the AMA send out a new ''Hard Card'' by email. ya know that plastic coated protected card like we opens use.

Gotta stop reading and posting before my morning coffee kicks in. [:'(]
Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM
cj_rumley

My 6 yo grandson's card was sent to my address as requested. I made copies for him to hold onto and stashed the original. A little bother, but in light of the odds of losing something of the kind in the next 13 years, why not?

CJ
Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 PM
draftman1

I got an email for my son from the AMA, it said basicly, here is your card, print it off, preferably in color, no biggie, I will just print 2 or 3 off then have them laminated. We should be applauding the AMA, what a great cost cutting measure. Im sure the platic card cost more than a dollar to print and mail. im not sure how many "youth members" the AMA has but im sure it will safe some money
Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: draftman1

............, I will just print 2 or 3 off then have them laminated.
Same for my son, no new hard card, just the e-mail.

It prints out in a size smaller than my card, though.

How do you laminate the cards?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: draftman1

............, I will just print 2 or 3 off then have them laminated.
Same for my son, no new hard card, just the e-mail.

It prints out in a size smaller than my card, though.

Most copy shops will laminate cards for you. You can buy little envelops of laminating material at most office supply stores. Use your wifes flat iron to activate the sealing.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

Easiest way is just use some regular old GOOD clear packing tape. Stick it on both sides. Trim the fit around the edges about 1/16 to 1/8 wide. You're good to go for a long time.

Every household most probably has some clear tape in the house.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Lnewqban

Thanks, will try those ideas.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 AM
1320Fastback

Kinda on topic here as it deals with the AMA and cards in the mail.

What is with the LAME sticker this year? Talk about being cheap, just like not mailing cards to Jr.s
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

Kinda on topic here as it deals with the AMA and cards in the mail.

What is with the LAME sticker this year? Talk about being cheap, just like not mailing cards to Jr.s
What is even more germane is a question of why to even have cards for youth in the first place... There is no cost associated with that membership status...there is no real potential for rejection...So, why can’t a young person just show up and fly??? if the club allows??

Just a blanket acceptance/policy of AMA allowing the youth to fly is all that is needed IMO. Ooops, I forgot one big reason...to inflate membership numbers like some do for kids that can’t even hold their own bottle

Seriously, what is the intent of restricting those without a card... At eight years old I don’t really think we should mandate that they have to cover their liability exposures...as we do with the adults...[X(]
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Hossfly

//SNIP//

Seriously, what is the intent of restricting those without a card... At eight years old I don’t really think we should mandate that they have to cover their liability exposures...as we do with the adults...[X(]

My guess is that if fills the requirement thal all fliers be AMA members. Otherwise anyone with a youngster coud shoew up and say, YES, to the question.

Insurance would be out the window because what Insurance Company will provide such a contract? 19 year olds could get by for several years being 19.

In addition, my opinion goes along with yours about inflating membership for advertising rates in MA.

One other thing when I was a grade-school kid, having that AMA "Pilot License" card in my billfold did get some attention from some of those East-Texas young cuties.
Yes, I noticed those little friends at a rather early age. [8D] Today that AMA card could be a status symbol for some younger fellows. Better that than a pouch of weed, but the weed may well draw more cuties.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

One other thing when I was a grade-school kid, having that AMA ''Pilot License'' card in my billfold did get some attention from some of those East-Texas young cuties.
Yes, I noticed those little friends at a rather early age. [8D] Today that AMA card could be a status symbol for some younger fellows. Better that than a pouch of weed, but the weed may well draw more cuties.
I hear you Hoss! Every time some cutie finds out I have and fly model airplanes I have to whoop them off with a big stick... Gets old but this hobby is worth it
Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
orbsah

I contacted AMA about this a couple months ago and they sent my son a "hard card" that indicates an expiration date of 2018 (he's 12 now). I keep his card next to mine in my wallet. . . . .
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Just a blanket acceptance/policy of AMA allowing the youth to fly is all that is needed IMO. Ooops, I forgot one big reason...to inflate membership numbers like some do for kids that can’t even hold their own bottle.
Then can we assume that you will not be signing up a grandchild ASAP giving them a legacy in modeling?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56904.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1716258  
Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Just a blanket acceptance/policy of AMA allowing the youth to fly is all that is needed IMO. Ooops, I forgot one big reason...to inflate membership numbers like some do for kids that can’t even hold their own bottle.
Then can we assume that you will not be signing up a grandchild ASAP giving them a legacy in modeling?

You should go ahead and assume that. Add it to your dossier on him, too.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

I forgot one big reason...to inflate membership numbers like some do for kids that can’t even hold their own bottle
It seems to be working. I signed up two great grand-kids about 3 weeks apart - Their AMA numbers are 978XXX and 983XXX. 5000 new members in such a short time isn't that bad. A 1,000,000 member AMA will have a lot more clout than a mere 145,000.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Tjettzky

Signing up little kids (who may or may not even be pilots yet) just so that the AMA can have a little more "clout" sounds like something out of Chicago politics...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Tjettzky

Signing up little kids (who may or may not even be pilots yet) just so that the AMA can have a little more "clout" sounds like something out of Chicago politics...
LOL! It does sound like Chicago. Did Bloggo go to Muncie?

Reaching higher, tho.................in bed with FAA .........lobbying the USSenate........"This is the NFL"