Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
520. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, our self-policing efforts (i.e. AMA Safety Codes) aren''t working.

25 4.81%
  • Yes, the world has changed considerably since 9/11.

83 15.96%
  • I''m not sure.

29 5.58%
  • No, the FAA has no business regulating "hobby" airplanes.

180 34.62%
  • No, we are fully capable of policing ourselves.

66 12.69%
  • No, the perceived threat to society doesn't exist!

72 13.85%
  • I hate polls like this!

65 12.50%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Do you think the FAA should be sticking its nose into our hobby?

ORIGINAL: H5487

ORIGINAL: BobbyMcGee

Maybe I should be selling my jets now while I can still get fifty cents on the dollar, like some people in another thread think that's the going value?Β* If I wait until the FAA sets regulations, I might only get ten cents on the dollar, or have to sell everything to people in Europe. What do I do? What will I do??Β*Β* [img][/img]
    I've read elsewhere that model jets won't be negatively affected.

Harvey
    NO, WAIT!!! I've heard that model jets will be specifically outlawed by the new rules. I'll give you $25 for yours right now (and I'll even go in halvsies on the postage.) I wouldn't pass up this offer if I were you!

Harvey
    I am sending you a check right now in your united states post office service for seven thousand dollars ($7000USD) please ensure to make ready your jet planes for when my associate arrives to receive your jets. Since my certifiable check is in excess amounts of your price that you are asking, please give the over funds to my associate in cash upon his arrival. Hope for a smooth business partnership relationship with you. Much to be thanking you!

Always your friend,

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe I should be selling my jets now while I can still get fifty cents on the dollar, like some people in another thread think that's the going value?Β* If I wait until the FAA sets regulations, I might only get ten cents on the dollar, or have to sell everything to people in Europe. What do I do? What will I do??Β*Β* [img][/img]

Harvey
    NO, WAIT!!! I've heard that model jets will be specifically outlawed by the new rules. I'll give you $25 for yours right now (and I'll even go in halvsies on the postage.) I wouldn't pass up this offer if I were you!

Harvey

And I heard that the Zenoah G-62 will be specifically outlawed. I am willing to buy one just to help you get rid of it...

Gerry
    PS: No need to thank me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

where is Chuck Heston when you need him hoisting a chinese ARF and proclaiming

''From my cold dead pinchers''

That’s a good one...we’ll just laugh it off...thanks.
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hound
    Don't Worry the AMA won't abanden you ... they need every member they can get. Out of approx. 500,000 R/C's only 140,000 belong to the AMA.
    Would you say the same to all recreational hobby aroemodelers?
    Like say perchance to our 20000 recreational aeromodeler brethren at DIYD?

Hound, its hard to convince folks that AMA wont abandon them
    shortly after AMA throws 20k modelers under the bus.
    If folks want to claim AMA is fighting to protect all hobby aeromodelers (like your 500k number), then that would include ALL hobby aeromodelers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is DIYD?  I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe he is referring to the hobby drone people (do it yourself drone), AKA: FPV BLOS (first person view, beyond line of sight)
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have both these sites bookmarked. It is a good way to gain insight and understanding of what else is going on in the sUAS besides toy airplanes.

http://diydrones.com/

http://www.suasnews.com/

Both these communities have a lot at stake with the coming Rule.
    Team Futaba - RClipos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since when was the drone people part of DIYD? Ithought you had to be on the bus or at least standing on the sideline to be thrown under.

Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Silent
    your so close, but you should have said

It is a good way to gain insight and understanding of what else is going on with other toy airplanes flyers.

You know, because those recreational hobby aeromodelers are toy airplane flyers like just like us
    ... uh, well, unless you guys are abandoning them, then I guess you would try to say they are not like us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Silent
    your so close, but you should have said

It is a good way to gain insight and understanding of what else is going on with other toy airplanes flyers.
    The folks on the sUAS website are hardly flying anything that can be considered a toy airplane. I'll leave it at that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Silent
    you start off by listing 2 sites that you refer to as "what else is going on in the sUAS besides toy airplanes" ,
    but now only point at one of them as having nothing to do with toy airplanes.
    Is that your way of admitting that a bunch of stuff at DIYD are indeed recreational Autonomous/FVP/BLoS toy airplanes that need our protection?

This started when someone said not to worry about getting abandoned,
    and I pointed at the guys already abandoned,
    and now we see you doing what... justifying those modelers getting abandoned/BusThrown?

Or will you admit that the aeromodeling hobbyists doing stuff like MaynardHill&PrezBrown did are the same as other aeromodeling hobbyists (like us) cause we are all brothers in recreational aeromodeling
    .... are they still our hobby brothers or have we abandoned them?
    Casue if we abandoned them, who will we abandon next?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the one hand I agree that we need to protect all modeling. Aviation and rocketry started with average joes experimenting with models. Where would we be without them? On the other hand we live in a far more crowded and fast moving society and need some basic rules to help guide hobbyists and back yard experimentors to reasonably safe outcomes. We have the benefit of a century of experiences that have shown us what is and isn't safe and we should be able to concentrate on building on that experience and not trying to re-learn it.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.... are they still our hobby brothers or have we abandoned them?
    Casue if we abandoned them, who will we abandon next?
    I don't think anybody is being abandoned. A commercial offshoot of our hobby has developed and the FAA is in the process of classifying these planes and their manufacturers separately from traditional "model" airplanes that are built and flown by individuals strictly for fun. In fact, it would be a stretch to continue thinking of the burgeoning sUAV industry as being related to model aviation as the two advance separately and differently.

Compare our current situation to that of full-scale aviation development 100 years ago. Man-carrying aircraft experimentation and construction was originally non-commercial. However, as it developed, some saw aircraft manufacturing as a way to make money and a commercial industry was born. Meanwhile, the non-commercial side continued as a recreational pastime. Did either side abandon the other side? No, it's just that each side has very different motives and goals: One side exists for fun and personal discovery while the other side exists solely to make money. I see this as being not much different than what is happening to our hobby right now.

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe I should be selling my jets now while I can still get fifty cents on the dollar, like some people in another thread think that's the going value? If I wait until the FAA sets regulations, I might only get ten cents on the dollar, or have to sell everything to people in Europe. What do I do? What will I do?? [img][/img]

Harvey

Harvey
    I am sending you a check right now in your united states post office service for seven thousand dollars ($7000USD) please ensure to make ready your jet planes for when my associate arrives to receive your jets. Since my certifiable check is in excess amounts of your price that you are asking, please give the over funds to my associate in cash upon his arrival. Hope for a smooth business partnership relationship with you. Much to be thanking you!

Always your friend,

Harvey
    Thanks. I'll have everythingpacked in boxes when your associate gets here.
    Sincerity ... Once you are able to fake that, there will be no stopping you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H5487
    I don't think anybody is being abandoned. A commercial offshoot of our hobby has developed and the FAA is in the process of classifying these planes and their manufacturers separately from traditional "model" airplanes that are built and flown by individuals strictly for fun. In fact, it would be a stretch to continue thinking of the burgeoning sUAV industry as being related to model aviation as the two advance separately and differently.
    sure, you're right, AMA is not abandoning commercial and military autonomous sUAS.

Now, can we say the same about recreational non-commercial autonomous aeromodeling hobbyists?
    (hint: the answer is "No we cant, because ama has abandoned recreational noncommercial autonomous aeromodeling hobbyists)

Wow, a lot of folks are trying hard on their tangent to prove the folks abandoned by AMA were not abandoned,
    Muncie is training 'the faithful' to believe autonomous hobby = commercial, so we can abandon autonomous hobby and claim we didnt.
    rather than just admitting we cant rely on faith that ama wont abandon modelers again.
    Thats what this is about: Someone wants us to have faith that AMA wont abandon hobby modelers, but having that faith is hard when we see that AMA just did exactly that to the autonomous aeromodel hobbyists. For folks to try to say we didnt kick those autonomous hobbyists to the curb/abandoned/BusThrew is just living in a fantasy world outside of reality.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is not one shred of evidence that what the FAA is determining to be a hobby use has anything to do with what the AMA considers to be hobby use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H5487
    sure, you're right, AMA is not abandoning commercial and military autonomous sUAS.

Now, can we say the same about recreational non-commercial autonomous aeromodeling hobbyists?
    (hint: the answer is "No we cant, because ama has abandoned recreational noncommercial autonomous aeromodeling hobbyists)

Wow, a lot of folks are trying hard on their tangent to prove the folks abandoned by AMA were not abandoned,
    Muncie is training 'the faithful' to believe autonomous hobby = commercial, so we can abandon autonomous hobby and claim we didnt.
    rather than just admitting we cant rely on faith that ama wont abandon modelers again.
    Thats what this is about: Someone wants us to have faith that AMA wont abandon hobby modelers, but having that faith is hard when we see that AMA just did exactly that to the autonomous aeromodel hobbyists. For folks to try to say we didnt kick those autonomous hobbyists to the curb/abandoned/BusThrew is just living in a fantasy world outside of reality.
    poxy ... Onceagain U are just looking for an excuse to "BAD MOUTH" the AMA the only people that have any chance in hell of saving us from the Feds. as for abandining some segment, groupe or even individual, Does anyone know if the AMA can refuse or revoke a membership?
    If it takes belonging to the AMA and flying on an approved Model Aviation site then so be it. As for the up coming NPRM We will get our "Comment Period" in due time. Hope you and the rest of us remember how to write a real honest to goodness paper and pen letter. That carries far more weight with the FEDs when they get mail bags full of disaproving comments that are constructive on any NPRM. These letters must be constructive and contain a valid reason why one disaproves of some or all of a NPRM and the FAR's it will create.
    Untill such time, all this speculation, finger pointing, bad mouthing, and general discord does nothing but creat desension in the ranks and can only be detramental to our cause.
    I'm going out for the next 4 days and watch one of the largest AMA santioned events in the USA. The Arizona Model Aviators
    "Electric Festival" as of yesterday we had 162 pilots registered, from all over the country. Also have 33 venders selling Every thing from Sun Glasses to High End model aviation stuff.

Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know why there's been such worry over this thing. We RC drivers will still operate under the existing AMA sanctioned rules, and shouldn't see any changes.

Because these things fly where regular planes and helos operated,....and directly over populated tera-firma too, it make sense that any RC aircraft that's operated out of the pilot's direct line-of-site Labeled as unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), aka unmanned aircraft system (UAS), or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), should be regulated to enforce pertinent mandates for safety through comprehensive routine system reliability inspections, tests, and maintenance as well as requiring LICENSING for pilot such aircraft.

Regulating the operation of remote video piloting RC aircraft in First Person View ( FPV ) IS the responsibility of the FAA.

It's all about safety in the air, and protection for life and property on the ground
    from those aircraft .
    Gravity specialist outstanding in a field...
    AMA 869586

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β* I'm going out for the next 4 days and watch one of the largest AMA santioned events in the USA. The Arizona Model Aviators
    ''Electric Festival'' as of yesterday we had 162 pilots registered, from all over the country.
    Sounds like a decent sized event. For comparison the IRCHA (helicopters) and the Joe Nall (giant scale) each get about 1,000 participants. The annual Fall Soaring Festival in Visalia, CA attracts around 250 or so participants each year. 162 is still a very tidy sum of folks, sonds like it will be a good time in the Valley of the Sun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kid-E,

That lable's quite a mouthful and I'm not sure who these guys are or what/how they're flying. Would you mind filling me in?

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya... I feel sooo much better now!!!
    Your friend
    Rich

I'm a less government guy to the core.

The ability to fly off out of LOS into any airspace needs to regulated.

I would have thought the same thing before 9/11.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

There is not one shred of evidence that what the FAA is determining to be a hobby use has anything to do with what the AMA considers to be hobby use.
    Would U explain what you mean please .... thanks
    Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kid-E,

That lable's quite a mouthful and I'm not sure who these guys are or what/how they're flying. Would you mind filling me in?

Harvey
    Most of the people doing this at AMA felds are using small electric pusher foam air planes to fly around the field, not way out beyond line of sight. At least that has been my experiance and observations. Any way it would be a good Idea to use a buddy box set up or at least a sharp eyed spotter so if you does loose video link you can get your expensive equipment back....

Plenty of youtubes of flyers fpv waaaaay away from home and LOS.

Take a look.

One private fpv just found a river of blood at a meatpacking plant recon far from his FOB as reported on yahoo yesterday and turned footage he captured over to epa types

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast