Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
520. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, our self-policing efforts (i.e. AMA Safety Codes) aren''t working.

25 4.81%
  • Yes, the world has changed considerably since 9/11.

83 15.96%
  • I''m not sure.

29 5.58%
  • No, the FAA has no business regulating "hobby" airplanes.

180 34.62%
  • No, we are fully capable of policing ourselves.

66 12.69%
  • No, the perceived threat to society doesn't exist!

72 13.85%
  • I hate polls like this!

65 12.50%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Do you think the FAA should be sticking its nose into our hobby?

Probably just about like the State Park Rangers when they catch you poaching. Confiscate all yourequipment, car or suv, fine you about $5.000 with an option of 1 year in the CrossbarHotel and that will pretty much discourage anyone violating what regulations they deem necessary. It will be a little tough to get to the field, much less explain to the little lady at the house why you walked home with none of your RC toys.

ORIGINAL: hattend

How will fedzilla even enforce something like this?

I'll be an RC bandito faster than they can spend a billion dollars.

Come get me, copper! Top of the World, Ma!

Don
    Intelligence is similar to a dress code. Dont attend a black tie affair wearing cutoffs and a tank top. Know your facts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The FAA doesn't need to worry about nut jobs with model airplanes. They need to worry about the nut jobs ruining- ooops!- I mean running this country!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the FAA gets involved. No matter what there good intentions are it will eventually turn
    Into a regulation disaster.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: [Awaiting Approval]

I agree, how canyou regulate this hobby when anyone can fly a model wherever they wish, from anywhere within the boundries of this country.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can see this whole mess started for 2 reasons:

a) UAV manufacturers that wanted to inundate the airspace with rc vehicles, thinking of thousands of applications. For them, it is a big market. When told by the FAA they cannot use it (airspace), they (UAV people) pointed their finger at us.

b) The military routinely use RC "aircraft" to take pictures, acquire intelligence, film, and sometimes, yes, bomb and kill people. If you think the same intelligence can be acquired bu satellite, you are clueless, but I am not going there. It would be ignorant to think that some rouge elements will not attempt to use the idea (UAV delivery system). And this worries the intelligence community (here at home and abroad) and it is a matter of time until something (here or abroad) is attempted using a RC vehicle.

c) So, the FAA finally had to move and do something about the issue. I am sure they were happy as they were before, and consider this added work, and a PITA. This will (for them) just add more complexity, and work, but they have to be careful, otherwise we will end up with general aviation having to fly at higher levels to avoid all the UAV traffic below.

Time to grow up, and realize that THIS government (or the next one if the administration changes) will do nothing against the FAA (which is a life form in itself). And remembers this started under the prior administration (but that is irrelevant). Some things do not change because the tenant of the White House changes.

And at the time they wrote the Constitution "We the people" meant male, rich, slave owners (most of them). So, do not get carried away:-)

My 2 cents

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hate these kinds of polls. I hate all polls.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I can see this whole mess started for 2 reasons:

a) UAV manufacturers that wanted to inundate the airspace with rc vehicles, thinking of thousands of applications. For them, it is a big market. When told by the FAA they cannot use it (airspace), they (UAV people) pointed their finger at us.

b) The military routinely use RC ''aircraft'' to take pictures, acquire intelligence, film, and sometimes, yes, bomb and kill people. If you think the same intelligence can be acquired bu satellite, you are clueless, but I am not going there. It would be ignorant to think that some rouge elements will not attempt to use the idea (UAV delivery system). And this worries the intelligence community (here at home and abroad) and it is a matter of time until something (here or abroad) is attempted using a RC vehicle.

c) So, the FAA finally had to move and do something about the issue...

Gerry
    There have been a lot of interesting responses to this thread but too many of them (IMHO) were passion-driven without enough thought put into both sides of the arguement. And to a certain extent, I can understand the passion because many (or most?) of us feel that the feds are threatening our favorite pasttime.

However, I feel that Gerry's response probably hit the proverbial nail on the head. The UAV market is fertile new territory for manufacturers (both established aerospace corporations and upstart companies) and the government probably feels that it needs to be addressed before it gets out of hand. However, I disagree in that the proposed regulations are entirely FAA-driven. I can see where TSA and Homeland Security are also concerned about an uncontained proliferation of domestic UAVs.

Please keep the comments coming but be careful not to turn this thread into an anti-Obama or anti-illegal alien rant (as some posters seemed to want to do) because those are inflammatory topics that will get this thread shut down by the RCU moderators.

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Then why did you participate in this one???

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the FAA gets involved. No matter what there good intentions are it will eventually turn
    +1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: H5487
    However, I disagree in that the proposed regulations are entirely FAA-driven. I can see where TSA and Homeland Security are also concerned about an uncontained proliferation of domestic UAVs.
    While TSA/DHS may have those worries, the FAA has repeatedly stated that their charge is air safety and security concerns are not their job. Nowhere in anything the FAA has published or said will you find a single mention of security as having anything to do with the SFAR 107 sUAS Rule.

Look at this:

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...FACT_Sheet.pdf

First major heading: "FAA's Role: Safety First"

This document does a good job of outlining the need from their point of view:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...%20Systems.pdf

Team Futaba - RClipos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harvey

Well, maybe since there was one poll option; "I hate polls like this” LOL
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Six,

There so many State and Federal laws on the books now, why more to expand the Governments powers and maybe a new Agency branch, etc.?
    As we have all observed, Government just keeps expanding and does things to justify it's existence (meddling). Just what our Sport/Hobby needs.
    Most folks enforcing these regulations would be political hacks or career rank and file employees with little interest or understanding, subject to the whims of the powers that be.

Look at the ATF sending guns to Mexico, your Government in action.

Gizmo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Harvey

Well, maybe since there was one poll option; ''I hate polls like this” LOL
    LCS,

I'll let you in on a little secret as long as you promise not to let it out. I put that option in the poll for the same reason that a farmer puts a cut-opened watermelon off to the side of his roadside stand. It distracts the flies away from contaminating the main event.

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

THE Survey results are not surprising.... ''I am safe, don't put any laws on me'', ''my buddy is not safe, put the laws on him''

It is long past time that some enforceable rules be put on the hobby. If it forces you to go to ground school and learn a bit about the national air system, so be it.

If it costs you some money when you pull a hair brained stunt and get caught, so be it. Let's just hope no one was injured.
    Exactly. It's all just fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What would you propose to do?
    Assuming you are going to respond with "nothing", I consider that to be an answer much akin to "let's delete all the traffic laws". What works for a couple hundred, no longer works for tens of thousands.

ORIGINAL: harley6133

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

...As we have all observed, Government just keeps expanding and does things to justify it's existence (meddling). Just what our Sport/Hobby needs...
    I'm not sure that I agree with this because I don't feel that the creation of new regulations is entirely due to the government trying to propagate itself. In many cases, new laws are created as a result of some event that has alarmed the population. In our case, I can imagine that Congress was beseiged with letters from frightened citizens following the news reports of the engineering student who was planning to use MODEL AIRPLANES to attack the White House and Capitol Building.

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LCS,

I'll let you in on a little secret as long as you promise not to let it out. I put that option in the poll for the same reason that a farmer puts a cut-opened watermelon off to the side of his roadside stand. It distracts the flies away from contaminating the main event.

Harvey

OK, this thread/poll is your "roadside stand”...what are you selling here?
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is some food for thought:

You need a license to go fishing
    You need a license to go hunting
    You need a license to drive a car/truck
    You need a license to ride a motorcycle
    You need a license to build a house
    You need a license to get married
    You need a license to dig a hole in your backyard
    You need a license to own a dog

But you don't need any license or any form of credentials that prove you are worthy, financially capable, or responsible to have children. Any idiot, deadbeat, drug addicted looser, can have a child. There are absolutely no mandates for having children in this world and I believe that is where many of our modern day problems arise from. If you don't believe me...go to WallyWorld and watch the parade.

Freedom is a wonderful thing but it does not give you the right to do whatever you damned well please.

Some may view this a radical thinking but why would you place more emphasis on having a dog over bringing a human life into this world! That is, in a nutshell, just how messed up things are these days.

I am not against our current governing body for flying model airplanes. I am against the misinformed, intellectual idiots that perceive our hobby as dangerous to the public citizens of this country. I am also against those within the modelling community that abuse their privledges and make the rest of us look bad when something goes wrong due to blatent stupidity. You can do good a thousand times and no one cares but make one stupid mistake and the whole world notices.

Let's be honest with ourselves here. When you have a model capable of speeds in excess of 200 mph it is no longer considered a toy or even a "hobby". It is a liability and demands resposibility. I do believe there is a distinct difference between the hobby as a "sport" and the hobby as an extreme extension of the "sport". You can not govern multiple aspects of our modern models with one set of rules, but I do not feel the hobby/sport should be penalized as a whole as the FAA is trying to do.

SPEEDY

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

...As we have all observed, Government just keeps expanding and does things to justify it's existence (meddling). Just what our Sport/Hobby needs...
    I'm not sure that I agree with this because I don't feel that the creation of new regulations is entirely due to the government trying to propagate itself. In many cases, new laws are created as a result of some event that has alarmed the population. In our case, I can imagine that Congress was beseiged with letters from frightened citizens following the news reports of the engineering student who was planning to use MODEL AIRPLANES to attack the White House and Capitol Building.

Harvey
    Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but in general, on your six is quite correct.
    How many regulatory agencies and their bureaucrats close there doors because any regulation has
    fulfilled its mission and solved the problem?

Do I think FAA should be sticking its nose into our hobby?
    No.
    But Mother Nature shouldn't be allowed to rain on parades, either.
    What are you gonna do?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those same pesky laws that burden you also protect you from career criminals that commit crimes like; identity theft, murder, bank robbery, rape, kidnapping, fraud .... on and on...
    The only time laws are even needed is when someone has caused another an injury, or stolen from them...
    If I were driving down the interstate and a sUAS came through my windshield and killed a family member, I would sure hope it was not some 10yo kid flying it around unsupervised without insurance. Laws protect as well as burden.
    It is inevitable, just hope the rules are reasonable and find a way to conform. I have a drivers license, a private pilots license, a ham license. I have only been dinged when I was doing something wrong.

Six,

There so many State and Federal laws on the books now, why more to expand the Governments powers and maybe a new Agency branch, etc.?
    As we have all observed, Government just keeps expanding and does things to justify it's existence (meddling). Just what our Sport/Hobby needs.
    Most folks enforcing these regulations would be political hacks or career rank and file employees with little interest or understanding, subject to the whims of the powers that be.

Look at the ATF sending guns to Mexico, your Government in action.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Having worked in Law Enforcement for a combined total of 37 years including County, State and Federal Agency's Trust me I know how Screwed up
    and self-serving many of these government programs get. Given the choice for these agency's to do the right thing or protecting themselves, guess where it ends up?
    Homeland Security is a joke......our local Border Agents are not allowed to check farm workers on a ranch they drive thru on the US-Canadian border
    perhaps because it belongs to the largest Beer Brewer in the US? They grow Hops.
    The BP and US Forest Service have a rift over BP access thru gated roads for Grizzly Bear protection. Makes it easier for illegal entry but don't disturb the Bears.
    The Bears are doing well BTW. Another example of your tax dollars at work!

Gizmo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as of 8:54,,, the 9% who said yes, needs to leave the hobby!!!! We don't need any more people telling us what to do,,,if you see something unsafe or hear of a dummy doing something with a RC aircraft that could kill someone,,,,,here is an idea,,,,TURN THEM IN!!!!....I love to see poll's like this...shows me how many dumb asses there really are in America... I made my own ordinance and dropped them many times, but they were never,,,,NEVER,,, made to kill anyone... They just made a nice boom....Please don't ask how I did it, I dont need you 9% to make something that could hurt anyone....Use the thing between your ears guys...don't be a dumb ass!!!
    Life is to short,,, to fly slow planes!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK laws are not perfect... let's ditch them all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

LCS,

Harvey

OK, this thread/poll is your ''roadside stand”...what are you selling here?
    I'm not really selling anything; more like listening in order to get an idea of what people are thinking regarding the upcoming FAA proposals. My intention is also to get folks talking about it.

It's been quite interesting so far. The most obvious revelation is that everyone seems to be firmly on one side or the other with very few (only 2%) taking the middle of the road. This strong "two distinct camps" division is indicative of this subject being thoroughly controlled by passion. (That's hardly a surprise whenever a group is being subjected to possible government intervention.) However, such polarization rarely allows an open-minded exchange of ideas between opposing groups. Instead, they're more prone to come out fighting.

And that's too bad for a couple of reasons:
    1. There have been some good points brought out by both sides. Unfortunately, too few have shown a willingness to listen.
    2. Much like in an armed conflict, the "enemy" (in this case, the FAA) knows that it will enjoy an easy victory when it sees that its opposition is spending all of its energy fighting among themselves.

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cublover
    I made my own ordinance and dropped them many times, but they were never,,,,NEVER,,, made to kill anyone... They just made a nice boom....
    Despite your intentions not to hurt anyone, you clearly and willfully showed a complete disregard for the AMA Safety Code AND the existing Federal Aviation Regulations regarding dropping potentially harmful objects from an aircraft (ANY aircraft). It appears to me that YOU are one of those malcontents who is now bringing the government down on the entire hobby.

Thanks!

Harvey
    Weather Geek

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast