Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question as a new potential member

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question as a new potential member

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question as a new potential member

Just don't tell them your a Doctor. You'll be putting CA on every cut at the field. LOL Dennis
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM
PTERODACTYL
My Feedback: (3)

Remember this;
Flying model airplanes is not a “RIGHTâ€.
It’s a privilege.
Don’t ruin it for the rest of us!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and by the way jnatale 3  welcome to this wonderful hobby  enjoy have fun fly safe , you will make all kinds of friends, friends that will last looking at everyones planes , helicopters and jets you will enjoy the the fellowship  i certainly have , always look forward to going to the field with my buddies , laughing flying cooking hot dogs hamburgers and burning holes in the sky , have fun  at the field and share information that is very important  for everyone  it keeps this hobby the greatest hobby around!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
jnatale3

In regards to people flying nitro outside in let's say a park or close to people and or businesses, what is the "most" concern? I heard someone say the danger of a 60+mph object hitting people or things, and then I heard the number one reason was fire liability????????
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know, but I woud think the major complaint would be noise!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
jnatale3

Probably the noise issue and the safety. I mean, you would really have to make a BIG mess for the aircraft to cause a large fire hazard. :-/
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
jnatale3

I think the AMA doesn't really offer anything "bad" per say. Something I am seriously considering. Thanks for all the input. - Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jnatale3

I think the AMA doesn't really offer anything "bad" per say. Something I am seriously considering. Thanks for all the input. - Joe
Ya might as well join the AMA and a club. Being in NC you should be albe to fly yera round. After the NPRM on sUAVs becomes Federal no buddy is going to be flying anythin but small electric Fomies any ware but an AMA Chartered Field. If it's true that there 500,000 people flying Some Sort of RC and there are only 140,000 AMA members, there's going to be a mad dash to sign up with established clubs just so people have a place to fly. Right now a lot of clubs have a limit as to the number of members they allow. Don't know about your aera but one club I belong to we ownthe property and each owner owns 1/70 and our by laws say a share can not be deminished in valeu by allowing more members.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM
corch

Must be nice to be 1/70 chief of yer own reservation.

Jnatale 3, just have fun, use common sense, and be safe.  I've done electrics in the park, and to be honest, it was stressful enough keeping the plane in the air, especially as a beginner.  Let alone worrying about other people and things that might come across your path.  Electric is just as dangerous as nitro in the park, I guess the noise can be a nuisance, but it can be good too, most people dont want to be near a running weed whipper.  Nitro is not a fire hazard.  If you don't believe me, soak a paper towel in fuel.  Throw a book of lit matches on it.  Watch the matches go out. (Be careful though, nitro flames are nearly invisible)

It wasn't til I visited 4 local clubs and met some people that this hobby really "took off" for me.  I joined the club with (what I thought at the time and now know for a fact) the best instructors, and laid back group of guys and gals.  No lawn chair pilots and gossipers with their agendas and constant rule making.  No issues with the neighbors or landowner.  And reasonable club dues, enough for rent, gas for the mower, etc.  We don't have the most cosmetically pleasing field, or a lot of "amenities" that some local fields do, but it's level, the sun is never an issue (N-S runway, with pilots facing east), minimal rules, although the AMA safety code is followed, and you must join the AMA.  The people you fly with make the club.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:02 PM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: corch

Must be nice to be 1/70 chief of yer own reservation.

Jnatale 3, just have fun, use common sense, and be safe. I've done electrics in the park, and to be honest, it was stressful enough keeping the plane in the air, especially as a beginner. Let alone worrying about other people and things that might come across your path. Electric is just as dangerous as nitro in the park, I guess the noise can be a nuisance, but it can be good too, most people dont want to be near a running weed whipper. Nitro is not a fire hazard. If you don't believe me, soak a paper towel in fuel. Throw a book of lit matches on it. Watch the matches go out. (Be careful though, nitro flames are nearly invisible)

It wasn't til I visited 4 local clubs and met some people that this hobby really ''took off'' for me. I joined the club with (what I thought at the time and now know for a fact) the best instructors, and laid back group of guys and gals. No lawn chair pilots and gossipers with their agendas and constant rule making. No issues with the neighbors or landowner. And reasonable club dues, enough for rent, gas for the mower, etc. We don't have the most cosmetically pleasing field, or a lot of ''amenities'' that some local fields do, but it's level, the sun is never an issue (N-S runway, with pilots facing east), minimal rules, although the AMA safety code is followed, and you must join the AMA. The people you fly with make the club.

Well said man, thanks for the input. I am ready for the nice spring weather to keep coming!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
KenP

As you can see jnatale3 people on both sides of the fence, what is sad is some of the scare tactics some are using to get you to join the AMA and chartered clubs. I have done both the AMA and chartered club thing and non-AMA and honestly it just comes down to where you fly and what you fly. If you're happy with smaller electrics (which I am) the park is fine and guess what you WILL end up with other people to fly with, because people will see what you are doing and join you. But if you do get bigger or faster join a club since that does make is safer for everyone around, don't be like the AMA member I saw at a park hovering a 90 size heli with people 50 ft on every side of that thing.

I will throw in my own personal pet peeve with the AMA. The AMA is very club oriented if you join and are not in a club the support you get from the AMA is limited and that is not changing anytime soon.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 PM

In regards to people flying nitro outside in let's say a park or close to people and or businesses, what is the ''most'' concern? I heard someone say the danger of a 60+mph object hitting people or things, and then I heard the number one reason was fire liability????????
Can't speak for anyone else,
but I'd say the biggest potential danger is
the damage this hobby can do to the bank account.
It doesn't have to wreck the finances,
but it sure tries.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: 804

In regards to people flying nitro outside in let's say a park or close to people and or businesses, what is the ''most'' concern? I heard someone say the danger of a 60+mph object hitting people or things, and then I heard the number one reason was fire liability????????
Can't speak for anyone else,
but I'd say the biggest potential danger is
the damage this hobby can do to the bank account.
It doesn't have to wreck the finances,
but it sure tries.
Lol
Old 03-10-2012, 02:58 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

You don't have to join a club.

It isnt 1952 anymore.

Flying alone isrewarding.
And some people are Better Left Alone ... Careful they may "BITE"

But you can't leave them alone.

You are the guy that has to get in others sandbox. Your way,opinion = right.

Bet youre a real treat at the field...... as awesome as you are.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: PTERODACTYL

Remember this;
Flying model airplanes is not a “RIGHT”.
It’s a privilege.
Don’t ruin it for the rest of us!

Spoken like a true subject.

So .govgrants you the priviledge of the lawful pursuit of legal activites not enumerated in the Constitution ?

This nation is finished.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

You don't have to join a club.

It isnt 1952 anymore.

Flying alone isrewarding.
And some people are Better Left Alone ... Careful they may "BITE"

But you can't leave them alone.

You are the guy that has to get in others sandbox. Your way,opinion = right.

Bet youre a real treat at the field...... as awesome as you are.
With your attitude I can see why your a "LOANER" No one want's to put up with your CRAP. The the thpe of guy that think everyones got in for you. I really feel sorry for you. I really do.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
JW0311

Jnatale3, welcome to the hobby. Alot of great advice for you to mull over. AMA or no AMA. Club or no club. Enjoy yourself and have fun. For me, nothing is more relaxing than going out and flying bymyself. Risk? Yes. Still going to do it. Love this hobby and there are alot of great people in it. Regardless of the opinions, we all love to fly. Enjoy every min. of it and be safe!!

James