Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Long time IMAA Board Member resigns as membership continues decline.

Frank V. Ponteri

IMAA District One Director

95A Quannacut Road

Westerly, RI 02891

Telephone: (401) 322-8358

E-mail: [email protected]

December 7, 2005

Tom Hayden, IMAA President

1649 Tecumseh

Lancaster, Ohio 43130

Dear Tom,

It has been almost twenty years since you and I attended our first IMAA Board of Directors meeting. The details of that Friday night special session are as fresh in my mind today as they were the day of that meeting. A lot has transpired during the time since that meeting, some good, and some not so good. We have seen the IMAA membership rise to a high of over 12,000 and decline to 1991 levels of 7000 members.

Throughout the good and bad times, we never forgot that the IMAA was founded “to create an atmosphere where pleasure, recreation, fellowship, and co-mingling can be fostered and found to exist amongst individuals enjoying the sport of building and flying large radio controlled model aircraft.” In our quest to build the IMAA, we often disagreed and at times our tempers flared but none of it ever became personal. We were always able and willing to find a middle ground. It is apparent that over the past year, “fellowship” and respect differing opinions has gone from the IMAA Board of Directors.

On February 11, 2005, District II Director Frank Fels, wrote in a letter (e-mail) sent to the Officers, Directors, and employees of the IMAA:

“GENTLEMAN,SEEMS LIKE WE HAVE A CANCER IN OUR ORGANIZATION.”

I thought at the time that this statement would have brought forth outrage from the other members of the board, however, none of my fellow Directors showed any outrage. It is apparent that the lack of a response to this type of behavior gave license to others to partake in the same type of un-professional behavior.

On October 10, 2005 District VIII Director and President Elect Tom Hammer sent an e-mail to a number of IMAA members that contained in part the following: “I haven't seen all that is on RCU. But I have been told by several Imaa directors. That some of you, my friends and personal advisors, have been supporting the radical district one director. If this is true shame on you. For heavens sake, please remain calm, and don't be tricked by the evil one.......

NO Matter how good it sounds whatever he says he has nothing good in his =

heart for Imaa.”

I forwarded this message to a number of IMAA Directors and their response was again silence.

On November 2, 2005, Frank Fels wrote in and e-mail to the Board “I PERSONALLY CAN'T WAIT TO GET IN THE BOARD ROOM AND BE WITH YOU ALL, JUST TO SEE THE WHITES OF YOUR EYES AND NOT HIDING BEHIND YOUR KEYBOARDS,”

On November 5, 2005 I received a telephone call from Bill Hamby that was reordered on my answering machine in which he resorts to name calling and threats. Unfortunately my wife has been subjected to these e-mails and telephone message.

Yesterday, President elect Hammer sent another e-mail to members of the Board in which he belittled my service and contribution to the IMAA.

During my twenty plus years of service to the IMAA, my wife Jean has always supported my service. Year after year she would give up vacations so we could attend the IMAA Rally and Board meetings. In the early years when I served as District Two Director, she would spend many weekends working the IMAA table that we would set up at local events to sell accessories and sign up new members. What has transpired over the past months has made us feel that our home has been violated and our service demeaned. We feel that the IMAA Board has gone to a place that we do not care to go.

After considerable reflection and discussions with friends and family, I have decided to resign the position of District One Director. My resignation will become effective upon the appointment (vote) by the IMAA Board of Directors of a new District One Director who will complete my term in office. Until such time as a new Director is nominated and approved, I will continue to carry out the duties of District One Director. I will give the new Director as much help as he/she may require in order to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Yours truly,

Frank V. Ponteri

IMAA District One Director
AMA District One AVP
AMA Leader Member
AMA Contest Director
AMA Experimental Aircraft Inspector

Old 12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
MustangFan

Default RE: IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Not being on the Inside ... What did Frank do that was sooooooo evil.

20 Years of service is a lot to give up !

Should I continue my membership ?????
Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

To put in simply, when he was in power it was his way or the highway. Should you continue your membership, well they need all they can get. If you want to fly at any IMAA sanctioned events and/or you think the quarterly magazine is worth it then you should continue your membership. Each will have to make that call on their perceived worth of belonging and supporting them as an AMA Special Interest Group.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:14 PM
bhole74

Personally, I just sent in my check.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:00 PM
MustangFan

O.K. ....

Our Club is an IMAA participant, .... It's worth it to me to join again.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Well, another nail into the coffin. Hopefully it will be over soon.

Our next Rally of the Giants won't be at all associated with the IMAA, only the AMA. The sanction is already out.

Safe Flying!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:06 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: blikseme300
Our next Rally of the Giants won't be at all associated with the IMAA, only the AMA. The sanction is already out.
Odd. I thought "Rally of the Giants" was a trademark logo.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 PM
blikseme300

ORIGINAL: the-plumber

Odd. I thought "Rally of the Giants" was a trademark logo.

I guess the IMAA think they "own" that too. Do a Google and see how many other groups use the exact same term. Whatever we used to call it, there won't be another IMAA event at our club. IMAA meets at our club has hindered instead of helped the growth of participation in large scale flying in our area. Each open event over the past year has pulled in more pilots than the "official" events. That in itself is an indication of the interest in an dying, unneeded sig.

Safe Flying!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that means Vic won't be coming...

I will. - The good lord and family willing -
Old 12-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

SNIP
Each open event over the past year has pulled in more pilots than the "official" events. That in itself is an indication of the interest in an dying, unneeded sig.

Safe Flying!
As long as there are people flying Giant Scale Models there will be a need for a SIG. The problem is that the IMAA BOD has been unable to mold the organization to meet todays needs. All they have to do is examine how the other SIGs are operating. There is much more interest in Giant Scale than say Antique Models or Vintage R/C yet these are seeing steady growth while the IMAA is withering away. This has been pointed out to the IMAA BOD but they just didn't seem to grasp it. Hopefully the new BOD will see the light and be able to turn the organization around.

Just give you an idea of the problem, the IMAA tried to pressure the AMA into refusing sanctions for Giant Scale events that were not sponsored by the IMAA. The AMA wisely told them NO.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

It appears that my letter of resignation has been posted on this site by Red. I have no problem with it being posted however I can't understand why some have found it necessary to read into my letter reasons for my resignation that just are not correct. I believe my letter spells out quite clearly my reasons for removing myself from the board.

The IMAA will always have my support. I am sure it will outlive the few officers and directors who fail to grasp the true spirt of the IMAA.

Frank V. Ponteri
Old 12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

OK, I will bite.
What is the "True Spirit" of the IMAA?
ORIGINAL: frankp
The IMAA will always have my support. I am sure it will outlive the few officers and directors who fail to grasp the true spirt of the IMAA.

Frank V. Ponteri
Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Geistware

OK, I will bite.
What is the "True Spirit" of the IMAA?
ORIGINAL: frankp

Frank V. Ponteri
The true spirit of the IMAA is pretty well reflected in their consideration of the following. Mr Ponteri was President at the time.

Presented to the IMAA Board of Directors at the July 21, 2000 meeting

By:
C. L. “Red” Scholefield – IMAA 18939 District V.
4138 NW 33rd Place, Gainesville, FL 32606 (352) 373-8856, FAX (352) 335-9715
e-mail [email protected] note present e-mail is [email protected]

ADMINISTRATIVE

1. Directors shall appoint as a minimum one assistant for each state or territory they represent. This shall be done within 60 days of assuming office. Since the election leads the assumption of office by at least two months this should give the elected director time enough to put his team together. The largest IMAA District at the time had ONE Assistant Director appointed

2. Directors shall identify an alternate, to be approved by the BOD, to succeed them in the event they cannot continue to serve in the position. This shall be done within 60 days of assuming office. This alternate will represent the Director at any required functions he is not able to attend.

3. Before being appointed as Assistant Directors the individual shall have demonstrated some interest in the IMAA by having assembled and flown at least 1 model aircraft meeting IMAA rules. (This was in response to one director appointing an Assistant Director that didn't even fly R/C much less Giant Scale)
4. The BOD shall make an effort to involve more members to serve on committees established by the board. 1) This will take some of the load off the Board Members in the day by day running of the IMAA. 2) This will get more member involvement and hopefully stimulate growth of the IMAA. 3) It will enable to BOD to select individuals with specific expertise in the area under consideration. 4) It will serve as a training ground for future BOD candidates.

Areas of opportunity:
1. Inspection manual
2. Constitution and bylaws review
3. Web site archive review
4. Web site classified management
5. Guest book moderator
6. Forum moderator(s)
7. District News submittals for web site
8. Chapter list improvement to include chapter e-mail contact
9. IMAA “marketing” of benefits – why join?
10. Statistical studies – loss of membership, why, areas, differences.
11. Incident review and study – NTSB for giant models.
12. Industry relations – use of IMAA “legal” term, IMAA logo
13. Director peer review guidelines
14. High Flight proof readers

5. The BOD shall authorize a moderated IMAA discussion group (members only) as part of the web site. I will volunteer to monitor it.

6. Peer review (semi-annual) review of Directors performance by other directors as to contribution, involvement, service to District, membership numbers, sanctions. Each director presents his review of others to the President for consolidation and discussion of results with the individuals. Summary of these reviews will be made available to the membership via HF prior to elections.

HIGH FLIGHT

7. Opportunities for “cost improving” High flight. From the Summer 2000 issue:

1. New releases, page 62- 70, just two per page. Then look at RCM, Aug 2000 Showcase 5 per page.
2. Calendar of Events - 16 per page compared to 40 or more in Model Aviation.
3. Directory pages 120-122 - 3 full pages to list about 100 or so IMAA Officers/Directors and Assistant Directors – compare to complete AMA Competition Directory on 3/4 of a page - lists about 60-70 key people.
4. Advertisers index - 80 for full-page compare with RCM 150 2/3 of a page.
5. Accessories order form – full page compare with Model Aviation 1/3 of a page.
6. Index – full page 3 articles/6 departments/full listing of chapter reports – compare with R/C Report 10 articles/ 10 departments
7. Magazine general:
Magazine pages weight (oz) wgt/page
RCR 134 7.8 0.0582
MAN 138 8.1 0.0587
RCM 184 9.6 0.0522
MA 184 8.2 0.0446
Average 0.0534
HF 126 10.8 0.0857
High Flight weight compared to others 1.60

8. Formatting – 36 words/column inch - compare with Model Aviation 50/column inch.
9. Layout – Safety Corner (page 10) 3 ½ column inches of air. Builders Corner (page 26) 4 column inches of air. Tips From the Pros (page 38) 41/2 column inches of air.
10. Change of address form – is nearly half a page required?
11. Meeting minutes, constitution and by laws…. simply make a note that these are available on the web site or may be requested from your Director with a SASE.

There are many opportunities here, yet we are still following essentially the same “airy” format we have used over the past few years. Can we not put our 30% dues increase to a more effective use?

Respectfully submitted.
Red Scholefield

Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As long as there are people flying Giant Scale Models there will be a need for a SIG. The problem is that the IMAA BOD has been unable to mold the organization to meet todays needs. All they have to do is examine how the other SIGs are operating. There is much more interest in Giant Scale than say Antique Models or Vintage R/C yet these are seeing steady growth while the IMAA is withering away. This has been pointed out to the IMAA BOD but they just didn't seem to grasp it. Hopefully the new BOD will see the light and be able to turn the organization around.

Just give you an idea of the problem, the IMAA tried to pressure the AMA into refusing sanctions for Giant Scale events that were not sponsored by the IMAA. The AMA wisely told them NO.
Red,

I am an on and off member of the IMAA. The ONLY reason I join is when I want to fly at an IMAA event. I am willing to be that I am amongst many that join for the same reason. I get nothing out of my membership. It feels like a tax quite frankly. I can find much better content on this site and othes like it than in the poor magazine.

IMAA was founded when GS was new and difficult to get started in. Those barriers are lifted now and GS is very common. Why do we need a SIG for giant scale. All they seem to do right now is sanction events. While they may lobby the AMA for GS rights I have my doubts and the truth be told with all the GS flyers out there I am sure we would voice our opinions if we felt the AMA was doing something we didn't like. An example is the whole rule 9 thing. There is no 3D SIG but the out cry was loud and strong.

What purpose do you or anyone else feel that the IMAA can help contribute to my enjoyment of the hobby?

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: why_fly_high

Red,

What purpose do you or anyone else feel that the IMAA can help contribute to my enjoyment of the hobby?

Regards,

Dan
As things stand at the moment I guess its just in a sense of belonging. They could offer a lot more - sponsor a Giant Scale discussion forum, meaningfull technical articles addressing Giant Scale, automated e-mail notices of events in your area, , product reviews focused on Giant Scale items, timely publication of event coverage on the web site. I'm sure others have similar ideas of what they would like to see out of the organization, but like me they were probably ignored also.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

Dan,

Might I suggest you read the first section of the IMAA Constitution that spells out the purpose for which the IMAA was founded.

Frank
Old 12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., is formed for the purpose of fostering and advancing the operation of large radio controlled model aircraft in a setting where informality and safety of operations prevail. Additionally, it is formed to create an atmosphere where pleasure, recreation, fellowship, and co-mingling can be fostered and found to exist amongst individuals enjoying the sport of building and flying large radio controlled model aircraft.

This is from their website. If sanctioning events does the above then I guess they are meeting their goal. I will admit that years ago when GS was getting started a support group of knowlegable individuals was needed. Now almost Every field has a number of GS planes. The goal above can be done just as easily with an AMA sanction for a big bird fly-in. Is there a SIG for .40 size planes? Do they need a SIG too?

Dan
Old 12-09-2005, 05:04 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I'm confused...Red, are you a supporter of Frank P. or a detractor? What is the point of this thread?

Please let's not have another "what's the benefit of the IMAA" thread like the last one. Easytiger has just settled down.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

I'm confused...Red, are you a supporter of Frank P. or a detractor? What is the point of this thread?
SNIP
This thread, another bit of model aviation trivia. Studying the demise of the largest AMA SIG might be interesting to some. As for Frank P., The decline had already started when he took over as President. During his tenure as President and then as Director of D-1 nothing changed the direction. He was perceived by some as arrogant, and unyielding. A number of good ideas were proposed by Board membert Don Pemberton who was the butt of many put downs by other board members. A working team they were not. Coming out of the Roger Smith (Director D-VII and Editor of High Flight) fiasco where some board members facilitated Smith's buy out deal that conned the IMAA out of a substantial amount of money, the remaining BOD members just couldn’t seem to put it together.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, it now makes some sense. I am intrigued by the whole thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Jim Branaum

Great care should be used when claiming someone "conned the IMAA out of a substantial amount of money" since the entire situation was manufactured, should never have occurred in the first place, and involved less than $15,000. I would hate for our hosts to be subject to litigation over slander. Red and I have been on opposite sides of this ever since, and it seems we remain so.

A yet to be publicly named party sold a bill of goods to many that RS was not treating the IMAA properly. Until that time, High Flight had M*A*D*E money and was delivered before Christmas for the winter issue and was well liked. In fact when this incident happened the IMAA had almost a quarter of a million dollars CASH ON HAND in the bank. FP and his band of 'lead by spending it all' raised dues 1/3, hired an editor who couldn't spell did not recognize P-51's or J-3 Cub's and could not get the magazine out any where near the promised times. Given all that they managed to run the IMAA into the poorhouse as can be seen by the fact that the budget for the last year or so was slashed and there are no longer significant reserves.

Since then the IMAA has simply become a group of less than 20 guys who have conned over 6,000 folks to pay for their winter vacation.

IMAA 15990
Old 12-10-2005, 06:59 AM
blikseme300

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

Great care should be used when claiming someone "conned the IMAA out of a substantial amount of money" since the entire situation was manufactured, should never have occurred in the first place, and involved less than $15,000. I would hate for our hosts to be subject to litigation over slander. Red and I have been on opposite sides of this ever since, and it seems we remain so.

A yet to be publicly named party sold a bill of goods to many that RS was not treating the IMAA properly. Until that time, High Flight had M*A*D*E money and was delivered before Christmas for the winter issue and was well liked. In fact when this incident happened the IMAA had almost a quarter of a million dollars CASH ON HAND in the bank. FP and his band of 'lead by spending it all' raised dues 1/3, hired an editor who couldn't spell did not recognize P-51's or J-3 Cub's and could not get the magazine out any where near the promised times. Given all that they managed to run the IMAA into the poorhouse as can be seen by the fact that the budget for the last year or so was slashed and there are no longer significant reserves.

Since then the IMAA has simply become a group of less than 20 guys who have conned over 6,000 folks to pay for their winter vacation.

IMAA 15990
'xactly! And when they are not too busy, they stand in a circle patting each other on the back chanting "look what a great job we are doing."

It's a pity that a great organisation has become a laughing stock. If it adapted to the changes then it could have been one of the largest, most visible SIG's. Instead...........RIP
Old 12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Mr B. I'm a bit of a loss for words here. What do you call an individual, elected to serve as a Director of a SIG, and under contract to do their Quarterly Magazine that "arranges" in consort with several other directors to receive $15,000 from said SIG and then starts his own magazine hiring several of said directors to write for his magazine.

The contract he was under gave either party the option to terminate the contract without cause with a relatively short notice.

What name do you give a director of said organization that threatens the organization with litigation if they didn't immediately conceed to his demands for the $15,000 "buy out"?

Neither the validity of the directors threatened litigation nor the competance of his replacement is relevant to this discussion.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Jim Branaum

My friend, a little thought should give you the answer to that one. We disagree and that is that.

Claiming that anything less than honest occurred without presenting precise proof belittles your position within the modeling community, and puts a bad light on AMA officers and their appointees. Please prove your claims or figure out a less aggressive way of saying your point of view before you deliver any more damage to the AMA you are supposed to represent. Getting publicly all wound up over bad perceptions allowed the IMAA "white hats" (your definition) to strip the organization of almost $250,000 and it is clear to all that does not seem to bother you. I find that incredulous.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I can't comment on anything else but the $15,000 part.
If he indeed started a magazine with only $15,000 I would have to "call" him underfunded and stupid.
If IMAA doesn't change its way of doing business, they will face another type of vote. This is the one where potential members vote to not open their pocket books and join and some of the existing membership votes not to re-new.
As for me, I will re-new simply because it is less than the price of a cheap propeller and is good for a whole year.
ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Mr B. I'm a bit of a loss for words here. What do you call an individual, elected to serve as a Director of a SIG, and under contract to do their Quarterly Magazine that "arranges" in consort with several other directors to receive $15,000 from said SIG and then starts his own magazine hiring several of said directors to write for his magazine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.