Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV SURVEY

RE: FPV SURVEY

RGB
    BINGO. Add to that it's too big of an attractor for those who don't like following "rules". One bad apple can spoil the entire bunch - and FPV just has way too many bad apples.
    Follow the rules?
    Could you site the FAA rule/law againts FPV the folks in america have to follow
    that these users of the NAS are breaking by just using FPV?
    I believe what you are trying to complain about,
    is the folks that signed up to voluntarily obey their ORG's private rules
    (and by 'private' I meant like they considered the rules to be Intellectual Property and bill for following them)
    .. That it is only the MEMBERS that have rules applied to them by membership
    ...... uh... so the ONLY rule breakers are AMA members

Thats what you meant, right?
    That all the FPV rule breaking AMA members are ruining it
    because all the other non-ama FPV'ers dont actually have such rules to break

Would you like to have some names for the the folks you hate?
    Try Maynard Hill and (then)AMA Prez Brown... pioneers of autonomous aeromodeling

seems the evil folks you hate ruining the hobby
    turn out to be some of your heros of the hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Remind me Kid........... just how much of Maynard Hills Trans Atlantic Flight took place in US airspace and was subject to US FAA orAMA rules?

Brad
    BALSA USA Brotherhood #93
    1/4 scale Nieuport 11 (elec)
    1/4 scale Fokker Dr1. (elec)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And what does Maynard Hill's accomplishment have to do with FPV, anyway?

i dislike it, and want nothing to do with it..and No i did not receive an email that i am aware of... Im also fearful that if/when something bad happens in FPV it will be a black eye to the line of sight(LoS) RC community
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

if/when something bad happens in FPV it will be a black eye to the line of sight(LoS) RC community
    following that logic you use there,
    couldnt the same be said BY the FPV community about AMA?
    ... not as a matter of What IF, but as a matter of What DID-

if/when a girl in a park gets chopped by a heli in LOS it will be a black eye to the FPV RC community

if/when a fullscale in Colorado is hit by a RC in LOS it will be a black eye to the FPV RC community

where do you draw the line in YOUR logic...
    it only make sense when getting mad over things that havent happened yet?
    .. or it only applies to blame non-ama for things that havent happened while granting clemency for things that HAVE happened where AMA members were involved

metjunk,
    if you want to point fingers as to where the black eyes actually come from
    (rather than playing Lets Pretend about where maybe they might come from but havent yet)
    dont you end up pointing at the times AMA members were the ones with blood on their hands

or
    of course, we could just not point fingers over the "black eye"s of FlyingNearBridge/ChoppingGirl/HittingBipe

I hope the survey aint worded as a FPV witch hunt to appease folks like you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

i dislike it, and want nothing to do with it..and No i did not receive an email that i am aware of... Im also fearful that if/when something bad happens in FPV it will be a black eye to the line of sight(LoS) RC community
    Like I posted earlier you only get an e-mail notification if you subsrcibe to AMA Today. If you wish to participate in the poll try;

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AMATODAYFPV

Regards
    Frank
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Β*Remind me Kid........... just how much of Maynard Hills Trans Atlantic Flight took place in US airspace and was subject to US FAA orΒ*AMA rules?

Brad
    wow,
    once again BP is helping me prove a point.
    I always thought you didnt like me,
    but here you are helping me out again right after you demonstrated my point in the Vitriol thread.

Thanx BP, you truly are a friend in need

as for the way you pointed out
    how theres nothing wrong with folks (that the rules dont apply to) not obeying the rules,
    yeah, you (and I) are right-
    When RGB gets mad 'a few bad apples' breaking the rules
    the only folks he possible can be talking about are NOT the ones the rules dont apply to
    (like non-members and members that choose to exploit loopholes to break the AMA rules)

If he wants to still hold folks like Hill/Brown/non-members to the ama rules
    even when we can all clearly see the rules dont apply to them,
    then he can expect to have folks like you and me point out how they(Hill/Brown/non-members) dont have to follow AMA rules ... therefore they are not breaking them.

uh... unless RGB expects the president to AMA to follow AMA's rules even when he is not being forced to,
    but that is more a matter of character than rule breaking... the classic 'do as we say, not as we do' is not really what this thread is about

So BP
    who could RBG possibly be talking about when he refers to folks breaking the rules,
    if the rules ONLY apply to ama members (but not AMA presidents that exploit loopholes)?
    Who are these AMA Rule breakers?

Seems to me if RBG posted with a lil less name calling,
    you and I wouldnt have to point out the guys he's bashing can only be AMA members (except AMA prez across the border)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see you still did not answer the question:"  just how much of Maynard Hills Trans Atlantic Flight took place in US airspace and was subject to US FAA or AMA rules?".

At this time the AMA Rules only apply to AMA members........ and when the AMA becomes the ONLY CBO the AMA rules will only still apply to those that are AMA members.  (that's a gift to allow you to rant on about) ...........  the rest can fly by FAA default rules.  Does anybody expect that the FAA default rules for FPV will be more lenient that the CBO rules?

BALSA USA Brotherhood #93
    1/4 scale Nieuport 11 (elec)
    1/4 scale Fokker Dr1. (elec)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

if/when something bad happens in FPV it will be a black eye to the line of sight(LoS) RC community
    following that logic you use there,
    couldnt the same be said BY the FPV community about AMA?
    ... not as a matter of What IF, but as a matter of What DID-

if/when a girl in a park gets chopped by a heli in LOS it will be a black eye to the FPV RC community

if/when a fullscale in Colorado is hit by a RC in LOS it will be a black eye to the FPV RC community

where do you draw the line in YOUR logic...
    it only make sense when getting mad over things that havent happened yet?
    .. or it only applies to blame non-ama for things that havent happened while granting clemency for things that HAVE happened where AMA members were involved

metjunk,
    if you want to point fingers as to where the black eyes actually come from
    (rather than playing Lets Pretend about where maybe they might come from but havent yet)
    dont you end up pointing at the times AMA members were the ones with blood on their hands

or
    of course, we could just not point fingers over the ''black eye''s of FlyingNearBridge/ChoppingGirl/HittingBipe

I hope the survey aint worded as a FPV witch hunt to appease folks like you
    including FPV increases the odds of getting a black eye.... plain and simple
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What's the point of FPV if I can't cruise over my neighbor's houses, strafe cattle, scout hunting grounds for deer, bear, etc., impress the kids at school yards, surprise cars on the freeway, do touch and goes on roof tops..?
    After spending all the money that I have on this thrilling new RC venue, I'm not gonna let no AMA guidelines spoil MY fun...!!
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What's the point of FPV if I can't cruise over my neighbor's houses, strafe cattle, scout hunting grounds for deer, bear, etc., impress the kids at school yards, surprise cars on the freeway, do touch and goes on roof tops..?
    After spending all the money that I have on this thrilling new RC venue, I'm not gonna let no AMA guidelines spoil MY fun...!!
    LOL, maybe I should get into skeet shooting. Boom, nice rain of balsa wood there!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnShe

LOL, maybe I should get into skeet shooting.Β* Boom, nice rain of balsa wood there!

Turn key FPV set ups will be on sale at Toys R Us and RadioShack 2 fer $99 [batteries included]...so occassional losses due to skeet shooters wont be much of a problem.
    Old fashioned line of sight flight just isn't dangerous enough for my taste, I gotta have a way to put others in danger too. It's the ultimate thrill to see those cars swerving outta my way while I sit in my living room having a beer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Old fashioned line of sight flight just isn't dangerous enough for my taste, I gotta have a way to put others in danger too. It's the ultimate thrill to see those cars swerving outta my way while I sit in my living room having a beer.

That FPV is perfect for delivering grenades to stadiums and sporting events. They are cruise missles, just add your own warhead. Ain't freedom great !
    ME: \"I need a good rate down to one three thousand\". EXPRESS: \"Roger, we\'\'re coming down like a Bonanza full of doctors\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the FAA should put a one mile range limit on fpv aircraft unless you have a FAA issued permit to for farther range and also make it illegal to
    operate fpv from a moving vehicle.
    Ira d

i have no problem with FPV, i just dont think AMA should be involved, perhaps FPVers could form their own insurance coverage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been saying that for years.
    You don't have to be too much of a visionary to see the potential for abuse that is much easier to pull off versus conventional line off sight RC.

I've been saying that for years.
    You don't have to be too much of a visionary to see the potential for abuse that is much easier to pull off versus conventional line off sight RC.
    great minds think alike...[8D]

its been a while but i can recall this one time i was flying my Ultra Sport via NPV/NLoS(No Point of View, No Line of Sight.... it was a foggy morning back in the early 90s..... I was was flying on instinct and by sound of the engine..long story short i was able to over come the fog.... i landed and waited till about 11ish and it tuned out to be an awesome day...(drunk talk memories[8D])

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don’t understand why there is so much aversion to the little FPVs. For the most part they are fairly benign and of not much consequence.

We have a lot more serious things to rail against...why these little planes??? I think autonomous flight is equally over reacted to... By the same token if they fly over my property without my permission they are mine! If I find they are a threat to me, I’ll neutralize them by whatever means necessary. Otherwise have fun...
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brad,

You know, as MOST others do , Kid will NEVER answer a question that proves his position wrong. His stance is that just because Hill and Brown did their flight from out of this country, they are rule breakers, even though there were NO rules against it in those countries! It's like saying if you go to Germany and drive 180 MPH on the Autobaun (sp) you're breaking the speed limit in America!!! He'll NEVER see his position has NO BASE....He just loves to RA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kid,
    DIRECT QUESTION....

Referring to YOUR statement, QUOTE:

"If he wants to still hold folks like Hill/Brown/non-members to the ama rules
    then he can expect to have folks like you and me point out how they(Hill/Brown/non-members) dont have to follow AMA rules ... therefore they are not breaking them."

EXACTLY what rules, OF THE COUNTRIES THEY MADE THE FLIGHTS YOU REFER TO, did Hill and Brown break? And PLEASE be specific so we can look them up and verify YOUR proof.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tinner1

Kid,
    DIRECT QUESTION....

Referring to YOUR statement, QUOTE:

''If he wants to still hold folks like Hill/Brown/non-members to the ama rules
    then he can expect to have folks like you and me point out how they(Hill/Brown/non-members) dont have to follow AMA rules ... therefore they are not breaking them.''

EXACTLY what rules, OF THE COUNTRIES THEY MADE THE FLIGHTS YOU REFER TO, did Hill and Brown break? And PLEASE be specific so we can look them up and verify YOUR proof.
    AHHH THE Rules were of AMA...for AMA members... Which Brown/Hill were... They apply everywhere as long as you are a member...With your line of questioning it seems you think we should observe only the AMA rules that are concurrent with the country or state rulz that we are in at the time. If your premise were correct, I could run metal props on my 40%ers since Texas has no rule against it... see how dang silly that premise is?
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is an FPV? I honesty don't know?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

What is an FPV? I honesty don't know?
    FPV is First Person View... In this instance it relates to a camera installed in a flying model aircraft that transmits real-time images to the R/C pilot on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you ran metal props 99% of the time and had an accident while running a wood prop while operating under all AMA safety rules you would be covered, even though you regularly break the rules. If however you have only ran a metal prop once and that is when the accident occurred you would not be covered. The rules are required for coverage and participation in AMA events, not for membership. While they may have been operating outside of AMA safety requirements they are still eligible to maintain their membership and therefore coverage for activities that are within AMA guidelines.

Yes, FPV has the potential to be dangerous, but so does any model flying. If you honestly believe we need to impose our views on what is and isn't safe, with which view do we stop? The ones that feel FVP is crossing the line, or how about gas engine A/C, jets, speed, scale, I.C., outdoor... where does it stop? Maybe we should only fly indoor models and make the pilots fly from the safety of cages. Across the nation we legally participate in potentially lethal activities every day with very few problems, because we have well established safety standards and allow participants to use good judgement, and those that are shown to use poor judgement are dealt with on an individual basis. The FPV community has well established standards and has proven to have a safe record when flying within those standards, so why do some feel the need to ban them based on their own personal biases?
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! a balanced and reasonable post... is this really the AMA forum???

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast