Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do we get the word out?

I just got this months issue of MA and the first thing that pops out at me is the story in the “President's Perspective” column about how a few modelers can spoil it for everyone.

It reminds me of last summer. I was driving by one of the local high schools when I saw an RC airplane flying around behind the school in the sports complex. A Nexstar Nitro w/Evolution .46 I found out later. I stopped to check it out and see who was flying it. It turned out to be a young gentleman around 18yrs old. We talked for awhile, I told him about the club where I flew and invited him to come fly there. He eventually did come by our club and flew there several times. When I brought up the subject of joining our club and the AMA he asked me what the AMA was. I was dumbfounded, how could he be flying a nitro plane the size of a Nexstar and not know about the AMA? I asked where he had purchased the plane he was flying and he told me he had purchased it and 2 other planes at the Hobby Town in Kennesaw, GA. He told me that no one had ever mentioned the AMA to him before. To make a long story short, I was amazed that there are people out there flying RC planes who have no idea about the AMA or all that you get from membership.

I guess what I'm getting at is how do we get the word out to people like this who have no idea what is at stake from flying in unsafe areas or what the FFA is up to or what rights could be lost from unsafe practices. I know that most models come with instructions and usually in the back of the book is info on the AMA. If not then you think that the salesperson who sold the plane might mention the AMA, or at least ask if they have a club or help from someone who knows how to fly. Maybe I expect too much. I suppose we are doing all that can be done and their will always be someone we haven't reached.

KaP2011

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110

KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 193

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How do we get the word out?

There is nothing wrong with flying on school property if you have permission. I flew on school property for my first 14 years in the hobby. In fact I taught people to fly models at a nearby commuinity college for 8 years, (with the schools knowledge and permission).

We all had AMA memberships and we all adhered to the AMA safety code. Parties interested in joining the hobby were informed about the AMA and about the liability associated with the hobby.

Your post seemed to be confusing two seperate issues : 1.) Informing new pilots about the AMA and 2.) flying at non-AMA locations.

It is completely acceptable to fly at non-AMA sites if you choose to do so. But you should join the AMA and always fly by the AMA safety code.
    ME: \"I need a good rate down to one three thousand\". EXPRESS: \"Roger, we\'\'re coming down like a Bonanza full of doctors\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We could go knocking door to door, carrying the AMA member’s handbook, spreading the divine words of AMA... or televised outreach programs asking/taking β€œdonations” for β€œfree” printed materials.
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue. The unsafe location I was refering to was in the magazine article, a sports arena somewhere in Texas and at unsafe altitudes. I too have flown at school soccer fields, at least until I was told to leave by the local law enforcement. I guess the issue is that there are many people who are flying at these areas and in public parks who have no idea what is at stake.

KaP2011

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

There is nothing wrong with flying on school property if you have permission. I flew on school property for my first 14 years in the hobby. In fact I taught people to fly models at a nearby commuinity college for 8 years, (with the schools knowledge and permission).

We all had AMA memberships and we all adhered to the AMA safety code. Parties interested in joining the hobby were informed about the AMA and about the liability associated with the hobby.

Your post seemed to be confusing two seperate issues : 1.) Informing new pilots about the AMA and 2.) flying at non-AMA locations.

It is completely acceptable to fly at non-AMA sites if you choose to do so. But you should join the AMA and always fly by the AMA safety code.
    KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey! These are great ideas! LOL

KaP2011

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

We could go knocking door to door, carrying the AMA member’s handbook, spreading the divine words of AMA... or televised outreach programs asking/taking “donations” for “free” printed materials.
    KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is what it says in the NEXSTAR ARF assembly manual:

We urge you to join the AMA (Academy of Model
    Aeronautics) and a local R/C club. The AMA is the
    governing body of model aviation and membership is
    required to fly at AMA clubs. Though joining the AMA
    provides many benefits, one of the primary reasons to join
    is liability protection. Coverage is not limited to flying at
    contests or on the club field. It even applies to flying at public
    demonstrations and air shows. Failure to comply with the
    Safety Code (excerpts printed in the back of the manual)
    may endanger insurance coverage. Additionally, training
    programs and instructors are available at AMA club sites to
    help you get started the right way. There are over 2,500
    AMA chartered clubs across the country. Contact the AMA
    at the address or toll-free phone number below:
    Academy of Model Aeronautics
    5151 East Memorial Drive
    Muncie, IN 47302-9252
    Tele. (800) 435-9262
    Fax (765) 741-0057
    Or via the Internet at: http://www.modelaircraft.org

I suppose that if he had actually read the instructions he would have known this.

Well, it seems that short of a brick upside he head, there isn't much that can be done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KaP2011

I guess the issue is that there are many people who are flying at these areas and in public parks who have no idea what is at stake.

I have never met an established glow flyer that hadn't heard of the AMA, that is fairly anomolous. I think that it is more common among the park flyer, small electric airplane segment of the hobby.

Most hobby shops are pretty good about mentioning the AMA to new customers, but with online shopping becoming more popular that conversation is happening less often. Perhaps that is the answer, maybe the AMA should contact online hobby sites and request a link to the AMA site and perhaps a banner ad. I think most businesses would realize that they depend on the AMA and might provide those at no charge.
    ME: \"I need a good rate down to one three thousand\". EXPRESS: \"Roger, we\'\'re coming down like a Bonanza full of doctors\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As John pointed out the AMA info was in his assembly manual in fact I dont think you can purchase a kit in the USA that does not have AMA info included. It would
    be interesting to find out how this fellow learned to fly.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

who said he bought a kit?
    lotta shops have complete used trainer set ups ready for anyone to buy.
    Bottom Feeder Brother #13
    when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C
    13 of 27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mongo

who said he bought a kit?
    lotta shops have complete used trainer set ups ready for anyone to buy.
    Good point, but I still wonder how he learned to fly without hearing about the AMA. Also I might add I have puchased a few used rtf planes down through the years
    and most of them still had the orignial instruction manual with them
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I asked him how he learned to fly, he was actualy pretty good. He told me he learned from the simulator that came withan ARF. The plane he was flying was his second plane, the first was destroyed the first time he tried to fly it. What'snot too surprizingis that the other plane he bought the first trip was a Giles 202, which he had also flown once.
    I have noticed that some of the younger pilots have grown up with video games and already havegood hand/eye coordination. They take to flying real fast.

AfterI mentioned joining the club and the AMA he lost interest and never came back, this was in late summer and he did not like the idea that he would have to pay $58 and then again in Jan. I see that now the AMA has changed that policy and membership is prorated depending on which month you join. For all I know he went back to the school to fly.

KaP2011

KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

May be he was kicked out of local clubs and he is flying rouge?

ORIGINAL: KaP2011

//SNIP//
    When I brought up the subject of joining our club and the AMA he asked me what the AMA was. I was dumbfounded, how could he be flying a nitro plane the size of a Nexstar and not know about the AMA? I asked where he had purchased the plane he was flying and he told me he had purchased it and 2 other planes at the Hobby Town in Kennesaw, GA. He told me that no one had ever mentioned the AMA to him before. To make a long story short, I was amazed that there are people out there flying RC planes who have no idea about the AMA or all that you get from membership.

Β*

I guess what I'm getting at is how do we get the word out to people like this who have no idea what is at stake from flying in unsafe areas or what the FFA is up to or what rights could be lost from unsafe practices. I know that most models come with instructions and usually in the back of the book is info on the AMA. If not then you think that the salesperson who sold the plane might mention the AMA, or at least ask if they have a club or help from someone who knows how to fly. Maybe I expect too much. I suppose we are doing all that can be done and their will always be someone we haven't reached.

Β*

KaP2011

Kap2011, as a long time AMA member (prior to 1954) and promoter plus a HS owner (Mt Prospect Il) 7-8 years, an AMA VP, contest director, NATs manpower director and a world of model aviation activities, if such could be truly determined, I would make a significant wager that people flying some sort of model airplane would outnumber AMA members by at least 20 to one. In today's world very few people get interested in organizations other than the politicians and politician wanna-bees. Just remember that everyone does not live in YOUR world and each has his/her own little comfort zone. I have met numerous people that like modeling in one or more disciplines, but their flying activities are simply when and where the time allows along with the opportunity.

You want better information dissemination: then start writing your AMA DVP, AVP, Pres Brown, EVP and ED Mathewson that they should get off the easy chair and get Model Aviation on the newsstands, like months ago. Maybe they could turn that 1.6 million $$ annual loss into some profits as the magazine on the newsstands could attract numerous new members. Then we all could be "....amazed..."

Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you're asking the wrong question.

You should be asking, "How can the actions of an individual "spoil things" for the wider group?"

I mean, if the bloke is committing some sort of crime, why should you suffer? Surely, the responsibility resides solely with him?

If you get drunk and run someone down, I don't expect to be the one who faces a driving ban ... that would be both illogical and unjust. Is your regulatory system unjust?

It's the gun-grabbers' argument, "Let's punish the people who didn't do it."

I thought that the Constitution was supposed to protect the individual from the whim of his neighbours; and the machinations of government officials.

Now, if I had a vested interest in building up the club' membership, it might suit me to have such a system ... I could use it as a lever with which to motivate the troops, "If you don't police these people, we'll all suffer. Go and bring 'em into the fold."

Gosh, I'm cynical.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnShe

Here is what it says in the NEXSTAR ARF assembly manual:

Β*
    We urge you to join the AMA (Academy of Model
    Aeronautics) and a local R/C club. The AMA is the
    governing body of model aviation and membership is
    required to fly at AMA clubs. Though joining the AMA
    provides many benefits, one of the primary reasons to join
    is liability protection. Coverage is not limited to flying at
    contests or on the club field. It even applies to flying at public
    demonstrations and air shows. Failure to comply with the
    Safety Code (excerpts printed in the back of the manual)
    may endanger insurance coverage. Additionally, training
    programs and instructors are available at AMA club sites to
    help you get started the right way. There are over 2,500
    AMA chartered clubs across the country. Contact the AMA
    at the address or toll-free phone number below:
    5151 East Memorial Drive
    Muncie, IN 47302-9252
    Tele. (800) 435-9262
    Fax (765) 741-0057

I suppose that if he had actually read the instructions he would have known this.

Well, it seems that short of a brick upside he head, there isn't much that can be done.

Β*
    What makes you think any American male reads instructions?

Besides that;
    1 - Nobody needs to join the AMA, or a club, to buy or fly an R/C plane.

2 - I've never seen someone at a hobby store cash register inquire as to if the customer knows about any local R/C club, the AMA, or even asks where the customer intends to fly or operate their R/C plane or vehicle.

3 - All a hobby store cares about is the purchase.

4 - Hobby stores don't benefit by promoting the AMA. Doing that might even kill the sale if the customer thinks there are added costs, "insurance" and regulations. That would be enough to scare a newcomer away from the purchase and the hobby. No one wants more regulations in their life ... especially when it comes to a toy or hobby.

We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Β*

[/quote]
    What makes you think any American male reads instructions?

Besides that;
    1 - Nobody needs to join the AMA, or a club, to buy or fly an R/C plane.

2 - I've never seen someone at a hobby store cash register inquire as to if the customer knows about any local R/C club, the AMA, or even asks where the customer intends to fly or operate their R/C plane or vehicle.

3 - All a hobby store cares about is the purchase.

4 - Hobby stores don't benefit by promoting the AMA. Doing that might even kill the sale if the customer thinks there are added costs, ''insurance'' and regulations. That would be enough to scare a newcomer away from the purchase and the hobby. No one wants more regulations in their life ... especially when it comes to a toy or hobby.

[/quote]

From the point of view of the hobby store, if the client learns to fly that model, he will come back for more stuff (we know that...) If he gives up, that is the last sale to this person. a newbie has a better chance of success if he gets help (like at a club).

My 2 cents

Gerry
    PS: Besides we DO read instructions (when everything else fails)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is what I do to spread the word out:

When I go to the doctor, I take the AMA and the AOPA magazines, and I leave them there. Same with the dentist. Of course I take the address label off. I have even left some in the magazine section of my library. I even drop some at the barber shop every time I show up.

If everybody would do this we would flood a lot of offices!

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I even drop some at the barber shop every time I show up.

Gerry
    hmmm... some...every time??? LOL Many months between haircuts...LOL I knew I liked you for some reason!

Come on guys...whether someone belongs to AMA or not isn’t an issue but as AMA members our goal should be to help and educate anyone interested in model aviation however or wherever they chose to participate. Inviting them to join our clubs and hang out with us is cool but to demean them for not drinking the Kool-aid is bad form IMO...If you find someone flying at another venue, take a moment and see if you can be of any help... really simple.
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The young man may have been a bit intimidated, or put off as to a list of things he is suddenly expected to do before he can fly. Was he told there were advantages to joining the AMA (insurance, etc.)? Or was he told "this is what you need to do? I'm not criticising here, just bringing up some questions. My initial experience with a club when I first started in this hobby in the 80's was not good, and I ended up learning how to fly myself in a school field also. I eventually had to find another field as another inconsiderate flyer buzzed houses near the school causing complaints and the school prohibiting flying thereafter from the school's field (but yes I did join the AMA).
        KaP2011, did you explain the benefits of the AMA as well as how we fly and where affects other flyers? If you did, great, then it was up to the young man to decide what he needed to do, if anything.
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #8
    Don't use force, use a bigger hammer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I even drop some at the barber shop every time I show up.

Gerry
    hmmm... some...every time??? LOL Many months between haircuts...LOL I knew I liked you for some reason!

Come on guys...whether someone belongs to AMA or not isn’t an issue but as AMA members our goal should be to help and educate anyone interested in model aviation however or wherever they chose to participate. Inviting them to join our clubs and hang out with us is cool but to demean them for not drinking the Kool-aid is bad form IMO...If you find someone flying at another venue, take a moment and see if you can be of any help... really simple.

Yes, and the barber shop guy know I do this, so does the dentist (my wife is a hygienist). I do this for the following magazines: AOPA, AMA, Sport Aviation (EEAA), MAN and in some instances Budget Travel. Read while I wait, and I leave them on the table when I go in. I am not the only one doing this. Many years back, I found the EEAA magazine at my family doctors office:-) You know it does not belong to the MD because the label is removed or cut out (some you cannot remove). Since I get like 48 to 60 mags. per year something has to be done, why not share them?...

You got me with the haircut. I am a hair extremist. I have it cut very very short, and then I procrastinate for months before I go back... Heck each time I go he has less hair than last time anyway...

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow , that was very well written. Like I mentioned, about 14 of my 33 years in the hobby were at non-AMA sites. And I still fly at non-AMA sites on rare occasions. I have met hundreds of pilots during that time. After 33 years I can count on one hand the number of pilots that did not belong to the AMA. And those were flying smaller electric park flyers or electric helis. Is it possible that there are people out there flying without AMA memberships? Certainly, but when a person decides the hobby is something they could enjoy long term, they generally join the AMA. The idea that the AMA is missing out by not persuing the short term enthusiest might be true. But is that really worth persuing? Is it realistic to demand that every pilot join the AMA immediately? Well, that could be the practical outcome of the FAA's non-CBO, default rules for RC, (we will wait and see).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I selected the ARF sort of randomly, but here is what the RTFmanual says:

If there is no hobby shop in your area, contact the AMA
    (Academy of Model Aeronautics), the governing body of
    model aeronautics. The AMA can direct you to the closest
    R/C club whose membership should have qualified flight
    instructors. With the added benefit of insurance coverage
    provided by the AMA, most clubs require AMA membership
    to fly at their field.
    5151 East Memorial Drive
    Muncie, IN 47302-9252
    Tele. (800) 435-9262
    Fax (765) 741-0057

So, yes, it is unlikely that he read the manual. I would say that he is pretty lucky that he hasn't already crashed the NEXSTAR and extremely lucky that he hasn't caused damage. Any damage or injury could be considered illegal if law enforcement had to become involved. maybe you haven't seen him because he is wearing an orange jumpsuit and eating cold bologna sandwiches with is buddies in the prison commissary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who was the man that wanted to force everyone to buy insurance ? Don't tell me, B O something. Oh, yes, Barrack Obama, thats the name.

Forgive me if I don't agree with either of you.[:'(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

Who was the man that wanted to force everyone to buy insurance ? Don't tell me, B O something. Oh, yes, Barrack Obama, thats the name.

Forgive me if I don't agree with either of you.[:'(]
    Most states have been forceing people to buy carinsurance for years strange no body talks about that.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ira d

Most states have been forceing people to buy carΒ*insurance for years strange no body talks about thatΒ*.
    Like Texas, they require insurance. But nearly 1 in 4 drivers don't have any.

I think the AMA is doing much better than that, and without forcing anyone to join.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast