Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ultra lights

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ultra lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Ultra lights

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I fly corporate, and IMO the Pitts pilot got away with some very poor decisions and actions.[]
He was, IMO, show boating and almost paid the price for it.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows.
The radio-controlled airplane operator’s decision to maneuver his airplane outside of the designated operating area, resulting in a
collision with a bi-plane. Contributing to the accident was the lack of a formally designated spotter.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for superiority, all manned aircraft have the right away over models in any circumstance, if you don't believe that you can read the NTSB narrative on the Denver incident.
Apparenty the FAA disagreed with the NTSB. They suspended the full scale pilots license. There was a legal opinion of his request for the case to be reheard. For some reason no opinion on his actual suspension.

He was, IMO, show boating and almost paid the price for it.
He did pay the price for it. No fines or suspension's to the RC pilot. IMO he snookered the NTSB investigator, but the NTSB is not the one who enforces the regulations, the FAA does that.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
;

That doesn't say they cannot share the same airspace, only that the model give way when the full scale aircraft approach's. However I do believe it is best to land the model whan a full scale aircraft appears to be below 1000 feet or so.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Interesting, I can say I learned something today. I think the FAA was right but the whole thing was a chain of events that could have been stopped at any point before the wreck if anyone involved had excercised some common sense.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I've landed ultralights at our model field quite a few times. I never overdid it and actually treated the models as if they had the right of way. That way I was responsible for my own safety AND respected the airspace of the model field. It was a small club (50 members) with very few active fliers. If some one was flying I would loiter behind the flightline till everyone was down and usually they would wave me in. Big fun back in the day