Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AMA dues increase

Has anyone here heard about an AMA dues increase??? Reason I ask, I was at a fly-in today and another modeler showed me a email that indicated $87 for his open membership renewal.
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AMA dues increase

There is not an increase that I am aware of. That had to be a typo? Especially now, considering the decrease in price to renew halfway through the year. A thought would be your buddy is paying the 29.99 for the rest of the year, and the 50 or so dollars to be valid through 2013?

Kind Regards
    Tim Johnson
    AMA District X AVP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AMA website stills shows $58 for an Open membership.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...ipoptions.aspx
    Team Futaba - RClipos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now LCS, you have always claimed to be an AMA mmmember, so why would you have not gone to the AMA site and reviewed the minutes of the last few EC Meetings to see if a dues increase had been discussed or approved?

Of course that would have been less fun then trying to stir something up here on RCU.

Brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Now LCS, you have always claimed to be an AMA mmmember, so why would you have not gone to the AMA site and reviewed the minutes of the last few EC Meetings to see if a dues increase had been discussed or approved?

Of course that would have been less fun then trying to stir something up here on RCU.

BradΒ*
    Your right Brad...coming to this forum to discuss or ask questions about AMA stuff stirs you up... We should only post praise and acceptance.

Look, FWIW, I simply asked a question here, got some respectful responses...well, those before yours...

BTW I also looked on the AMA website first and seen the dues were still indicated at $58... I am not sure what the mistake is, but I along with the other club's president seen the email... Spurred quite a discussion there.
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He may have

-paid for his own membership plus his wife ($88, but might have had a buck credit or discount)

-paid for membership plus a PPP membership for someone else ($87.95)

-paid for his membership plus extra(s) e.g., FAIstamp, PPmag........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just trying to help LCS..................................... and as others have replied there are many possible reasons OTHER THEN AN AMA DUES INCREASE.

Now as I pointed out there was nothing in the agenda or minutes of the EC Meetings concerning a dues increase for 2013. I guess I should start a thread:

AMA Dues Decrease........................ I think I saw something about that on the internet somewhere..

But go on keep stiring........................................... ... it is expected.

Now as to the reason you saw $87.00 wellIf you sign up after July 1, you get membership (new member) for half the $58 annual dues, or $29. $58 + $29 = $87 to be paid up through 2013. I am surprised since you went to the AMA site you couldn't come up with that. I'll be even KE could have figured that out. Apparently you missed the membership application form: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdfwhere this is pointed out.

brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

He may have

-paid for his own membership plus his wife ($88, but might have hadΒ* a buck credit or discount)

-paid for his membership plus extra(s) e.g., FAIΒ*stamp, PPΒ*mag........
    Cj,

You got me thinking. Although the email didn't detail the proration, I guess it is possible that to renew through 2013 it would be $87... That makes some sense... But that goes against the theory of the past proration policy....maybe that has changed???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

He may have

-paid for his own membership plus his wife ($88, but might have had a buck credit or discount)

-paid for his membership plus extra(s) e.g., FAIstamp, PPmag........
    Cj,

You got me thinking. Although the email didn't detail the proration, I guess it is possible that to renew through 2013 it would be $87... That makes some sense... But that goes against the theory of the past proration policy....maybe that has changed???

If you sign up after July 1, you get membership (new member) for half the $58 annual dues, or $29. $58 + $29 = $87 to be paid up through 2013. Apparently when you checked the AMA site youmissed the membership application form: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdfwhere this is pointed out.

SO NO DUES INCREASE.......................................... .......

Brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone ever received a renewal notice from AMA in the second week of July?
    I haven't.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what part of, "open membership renewal" . leads someone to think that this guy is any kind of new member?
    Bottom Feeder Brother #13
    when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C
    13 of 27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

He may have

-paid for his own membership plus his wife ($88, but might have hadΒ* a buck credit or discount)

-paid for his membership plus extra(s) e.g., FAIΒ*stamp, PPΒ*mag........
    Cj,

If you sign up after July 1, you get membership (new member) for half the $58 annual dues, or $29.Β* $58 + $29 = $87 to be paid up through 2013. Β*Apparently when you checked the AMA site youΒ*missed the membership application form: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdfΒ*where this is pointed out.

SO NO DUES INCREASE.......................................... .......

Brad
    Β*

Brad,

Apparently it is you that missed the part where it is a renewal... as in not a new membership...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After thinking about it a bit and after considering some information given to me, I think perhaps there was some miscommunication about the member wanting a renewal. Possibly AMA's email response could have been in regards to a "new membership" instead. Not sure but seems very plausible now... This thread gives great insight to how such miscommunications are easily made.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After thinking about it a bit and after considering some information given to me, I think perhaps there was some miscommunication about the member wanting a renewal. Possibly AMA's email response could have been in regards to a ''new membership'' instead. Not sure but seems very plausible now... This thread gives great insight to how such miscommunications are easily made.
    A screen shot of the renewal page is provided.

Regards
    Frank
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Frank,

I think that may indeed be the correct answer.

The email response from AMA to the member must have been in regards to this special promotion... In light of AMA's past renewal policy it would have never occurred to me this was even a possibility.

It seems AMA is getting much closer to having a real prorated membership dues policy now... throwing in the hat for those that take advantage of late renewals, coupled with the deep discount should make some members real happy...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Frank,

I think that may indeed be the correct answer.

The email response from AMA to the member must have been in regards to this special promotion... In light of AMA's past renewal policy it would have never occurred to me this was even a possibility.

It seems AMA is getting much closer to having a real prorated membership dues policy now... throwing in the hat for those that take advantage of late renewals, coupled with the deep discount should make some members real happy...
    That's the way I see it. It is also my understanding that this years numbers are up from last years so maybe the downward trend is leveling off and maybe reversing.

Regards
    Frank
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Frank,

You, like me, may see some changes coming in the wind... It seems AMA may be trimming the sails a bit now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk
    //SNIP???

That's the way I see it. It is also my understanding that this years numbers are up from last years so maybe the downward trend is leveling off and maybe reversing.

Regards
    Frank

Certainly the membership numbers are UP!. Everyone with youths WITHIN their ENTIRE family is taking advantage of the FREE YOUTH MEMBERSHIPS. Why not?
    After the move was made that just being an AMA member for part of a year did not count towards the requirement of "...3 consecutive years... for the college grants, membership now free plus continuous through 19, why not be a "Member"? I'm signing up grand kids, nieces and nephews. Why not? A select few sent their kids to college
    because they knew the rules. Now we all can know the rules.

Check your membership numbers. The growth is in the Junior and Senior age groups.

Horrace Cain AMA L-93

β€œPeace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

//SNIP???

Regards
    Frank

Certainly the membership numbers are UP!. Everyone with youths WITHIN their ENTIRE family is taking advantage of the FREE YOUTH MEMBERSHIPS. Why not?
    After the move was made that just being an AMA member for part of a year did not count towards the requirement of ''...3 consecutive years... for the college grants, membership now free plus continuous through 19, why not be a ''Member''? I'm signing up grand kids, nieces and nephews. Why not? A select few sent their kids to college

Check your membership numbers. The growth is in the Junior and Senior age groups.

I am glad the OFG is growing (old fart group)...

In that age group numbers normally dwindle:-)

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

//SNIP???

Regards
    Frank

After the move was made that just being an AMA member for part of a year did not count towards the requirement of ''...3 consecutive years... for the college grants, membership now free plus continuous through 19, why not be a ''Member''? I'm signing up grand kids, nieces and nephews. Why not? A select few sent their kids to college

Excuse me Hoss, but are you saying that it is a bad thing?

Regards
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

are you saying that it is a bad thing?
    Of course it is.

While many here profess their love of the AMA they somehow find fault in everything they do or find the negative in every positive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you do a little digging you will find that one of the long time VP's has sent a lot of his family members to college on the AMA dime. Just a perk for being a VP.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excuse me Hoss, but are you saying that it is a bad thing?

Regards
    Frank

Of course not! It's a great thing that AMA is leveling the flying field for all. It's past time that all Junior-Seniors have an equal opportunity to be qualified under the original "....3 consecutive year ..." rules. While no specific times now in the memory bank, I remember that any AMA Junior/Senior that was a member during 3 consecutive years was elgible to compete for the scholarships. It took some time for the program to gain some strength and a number of youngsters began doing so. Then someone decided the 3 "consecutive years" meant a full untouched 1095 straight days-plus-1 with a leap year in the time slot. It seems that certain youths from certain large families became better qualified for the awards when all those that were the usual non-members during the Jan. - March time period, yet were AMA members each year.

I am very glad to see AMA making a decent attempt to provide a fair competition for any and all JR-Sr members to obtain the awards.

The deal is that AMA adult members are moving their youths into a position to compete on equal terms. While those youths may not yet be in love with toy airplanes, they are completing the requirements if such happens. Remember that most of these funds were originally designated within the wills of at least two very wealthy individuals now resting in the lands of beautiful flying days. IMO, each and every youth should have the same opportunity to participate.

With more youths being signed up, then the total AMA membership is growing. Looks good on paper and just may be good for the real thing. Makes the MA advertisers think they are getting better distribution. Hey, Frank, the more I write the better it seems to be.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

β€œPeace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Certainly the membership numbers are UP!. Everyone with youths WITHIN their ENTIRE family is taking advantage of the FREE YOUTH MEMBERSHIPS.

Hoss,
    The upturn in numbers is reflected by paying members and does not include youth free membership numbers. Your issue with the scholarship program has nothing to do with the upturn in membership that I can see. Are you stating that some of the past scholarship recipients did not deserve the scholarships that they received? Did recipients of scholarships have relatives on the scholarship award committees?

Regards
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DREAMER-RCU

If you do a little digging you will find that one of the long time VP's has sent a lot of his family members to college on the AMA dime. Just a perk for being a VP.

I'm lazy this morning, mind sharing what you know??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast