Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

ORIGINAL: Arbo

I think it was based on the reaction to his posts by a handful of people that continually sent PM's and emails and made phone calls demanding they get rid of him.

Maybe the correct solution was to get rid of those handful of people...especially those that made "demanding" phone calls about an online forum.... It is simply outrageous that anyone one would do such a thing. Although it has been well documented that at least one internet stalker has contacted otherwise unknown people about online forum participants. I actually had a weirdo internet stalker contact some of my local club members and spread rumors about me...makes me see red every time I think about it!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arbo

ORIGINAL: init4fun
It just kinda bugs me cause of all the folks banned , I thought KE stated his opinions well , and certainly not in a rulebreaking way .........
You will find that I defended him and another, against those that just simply reported every post they made.

[8D] Thank You Paul , I found the post you mentioned and expanded the attachment to see the name . (post #121 in this thread) .

I freely apologize for saying you didn't name the name earlier , when in fact you DID name Dave by reprinting the PM from him .

You took on a thankless job and were squeezed in the middle of folks both above and below you , and I don't envy that position for anyone !

(PS I'm glad it wasn't Brent or Shawn cause they both seemed like straight shooters to me ) .......
Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
init4fun

[quote]ORIGINAL: combatpigg

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hossfly

>>>>

On September 15, 2012 the AMA’s Online Member Forum was discontinued. Created in 2009, the forum was intended to be a knowledge base and information resource for those seeking more information about model aviation and the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

The forum worked well for that purpose but advancements in online technology and the growth of social networking has resulted in better options to fill that need.

The relatively new AMA blog system on the AMA website at www.modelaircraft.org now serves as the tool used to broadcast news and information to a global audience. The “Ask AMA†online system has been refined and improved and is the best resource for both members and non-members seeking specific information from AMA.

We appreciate those members who have supported and participated in the forum during the last few years. The forum served the purpose for which it was intended. However, we believe that utilizing today’s technology will allow us to communicate better with the aeromodeling community and provide a higher level of service to our members.

We invite you to stay connected by clicking any of the following. By default, this page will automatically redirect you to the AMA Blogs in 90 seconds.
[b]
Old 09-16-2012, 01:36 PM
KidEpoxy

hmm, some interesting vocabulary was put into play:

By deflecting the responsibility for these folks banning off of yourself and blaming it on the higher ups , without naming WHO these higher ups are , Your casting doubt about the fitness for duty of EVERY higher up who could have been the one giving these supposed orders . By doing so , you are calling into question the choices we as members have made in electing these folks , and we don't even get the common courtesy of knowing who NOT to vote for again . Now , everyone above you in the AMA forum chain of command has had their service called into question unfairly by your accusation that you fail to back up with names of the involved . I don't want to think that folks in our AMA would be so morally bankrupt as to ban folks for differences of opinion rather than outright violation , which is what your asserting by using your ''anonomous higher ups'' defense for what most believe you undertook personally . If you cared about AMA , , Truly cared for the organization , you would either ''out'' these unfit leaders , or take personal responsibility for your own actions , without casting doubt on the rest of the organization with your unproven allegations . Yes , I AM one of the ones who think it was all you , , Now , Prove me wrong by naming exactly WHO was the ''way above me'' people you defer your responsibility of this onto . The appearance of the integrity of our organization deserves no less than the truth here !

Now.. I'm sure nobody here is thinking
that EVERY one of our leaders would engage in such "morally bankrupt" shenanigans/abuse.
However,
its still a big problem for "the integrity of our organization" that we would have ANY leader acting like that. Its even worse when these abusive actions get publicly applauded by some members across multiple internet fora. Our board was indeed a black eye for our org, but it wasnt because occasionally a dissenting member voiced their opinions on how to make the org better: The leaders that time and time again that chose to look the other way (to protect a select group breaking the rules) was(is) the public disgrace.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
jnhiller

Interesting!
After reading through this I understand why AMA is discontinuing the service.
I'll likely not revisit this forum.
Thanks for the insite.
Jim
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: jnhiller

Thanks for the insite.
Jim

If you do come back, would you mind expanding on why you are so averse to what is here? Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM
rcflyertim

My fellow RCU flyers,

FOOD for thought:
I have been a member of the AMA for many years. Although I never used the AMA forum area (didn't know it existed) I like the idea of having an area to discuss AMA issues. I am glad RCU is allowing a thread to be listed here for that use. Now that I have read all 15 pages of the "closing of the AMA forum" I understand that there are a few who feel slighted by the original forum on AMA's website. Several I feel, have taken it beyond debate status to flaming of others who do not share their views or opinions and basically still want to duke it out. May i just say that we all are entitled to an opinion, and to express that is ok, but to be mean or hateful to others who disagree is simply not productive. To repost old threads to try and get the upper hand or catch them in a lie, is more like an judicial inquiry. I feel that many of us come here to share a story, voice a concern, to get help with problems in RC, and to find mods to do.
In brief, there are a few of you on here who just don't like each other. When one of those posts a comment, the opposing person has to reply as if his life (reputation) is at stake. What is more interesting is that it never reaches a conclusion. No one ever say....hey ______ I am sorry. You are right and I was wrong for what I said and please forgive me. Rather.....Both sides feel they are right and will defend their stance to the death of the tread. Even if they were wrong, they would never admit it!
What we create in our forum by displaying this type of animosity for one another is rage/hate for the opponent, and entertainment for those who like to watch form the sidelines. I don't know the history of how all this came to be and it's not worth discussing, but what I do know is that we need to ask ourselves before we send a post is why? Is it helpful? Is it for honor/respect? Is it productive?
Finally I am not seeking a united voice tolerance. Only that we respect our fellow flyers in what we post. Show some revereance and kindness. Be the better person and resist the urge to strike back. What will our chapter in society say about us 200 yrs from now?
Most of you I am sure are wonderful people. Guys that I would love to fly with and hang around with. I hope my comments cause you to pause and to examine what it is that we want to accomplish with this venue. Maybe I helped to encourage you to be a key player in making a push for positive feedback. I know we can do it, cause flyers are the best bunch of guys when it comes down to it than any organization I have been a part of.

Happy flying,

Tim
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: rcflyertim No one ever say....hey ______ I am sorry. You are right and I was wrong for what I said and please forgive me. Rather.....Both sides feel they are right and will defend their stance to the death of the tread. Even if they were wrong, they would never admit it!
I would like to direct your attention to post #351 in this very thread ..... Apologies DO happen here , but sometimes they go un noticed I guess .............
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: jnhiller

Thanks for the insite.
Jim

If you do come back, would you mind expanding on why you are so averse to what is here? Thanks
I think ya scared the bejesus outta him with that mean lookin avatar , , , Damn Crank , I've always wondered , , , What IS that thing ?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
littlecrankshaf

Damn Crank , I've always wondered , , , What IS that thing ?
That menacing looking face is that of my now late best friend... Yep, a dog... But not just any dog...

I've had many, many dogs in my lifetime but this guy was very very special!

I lost him to cancer a while back and miss him very much. His passing absolutely devastated the entire family.

He was the most loyal, protective and certainly by far the smartest dog I've ever seen. He was so intelligent we had to actually resort to spelling certain words to keep him from figuring out what we were talking about and had to constantly change up the words when he would figure those spelled words out.

Never set out to teach him any real tricks but somehow he figured out what it was we asked of him without the typical behavioral responses to treats or praise other dogs need... When he was just a pup I realized he was always very attentive to every word we spoke and seemed to always figure out what we were planning to do just by listening to us... So one day, while just a pup and right out of the blue, I simply asked him to go get my shoes...guess what??? he just went and got them... Absolutely blew me away!!! I had never asked him to do that before nor had anyone else done that. He really seemed to actually enjoy showing us that he understood what we were saying...

Believe it or not, later on, after he became an adult, he was actually able to orate a few "words" that we could also understand and comply with his requests.

I could go on and on about all the interesting things this dog could do... I once thought dogs acted only on instinct or behavioral conditioning but I now know there are at least a few that truly do have some actual intelligence and problem solving capabilities...

Knowing this dog gave me an insight that very few will be fortunate enough to ever witness much less understand... Absolutely changed my whole outlook on life... and what is really important on this one way trip we call life...

Oops going into overtime...Oh,BTW I know...all this sounds really corny but I couldn't care less... just remember you asked and a simple response would never suffice in this particular case.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Story LCS. He must have been same as a child. What a wonderful one!

I had a dog growing up out in the East TX Piney Woods country that I was given by an uncle. Just an old Cur but we were together for about 10 years. He knew everything I wanted. Living in the woods with two creeks nearby, we hunted and fished together. Only bad trait was when it was time to head for home, he had a sneaky way of finding something back the other way. We both loved those woods in those days of open range.

That was some 63 years ago that he was hit by a school bus which broke his back. As country kids did in those backwoods days, he was my dog and I had to put him away.
That was a bad thing and I never was much for animal pets again.

How does this concern model airplanes? IMO, it simply helps illustrate from where we came and why we are here.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:45 AM
init4fun

[8D] Thank You LCS , and also Hoss , for those posts , Like hoss so rightly said , it's nice to know from where we came . Also , never worry bout overtime with a post , I like reading posts about my fellow RCers and their lives . I've never had a super smart Dog , but the one I've got now ain't too bad . She's a tiny poodle , the smallest variety there is , and was dumped on me by an X wife . Course I took her in , and will give her the best little Doggie life I can . She has some great traits ; She don't chew stuff , she don't pee or poop in the house , and she never bites or snaps . Course , no one can walk two steps up the driveway without her going into full alarm mode , but that's fine with me , I won't ever be snuck up on .

I was kinda hoping Tim was going to come back and offer us his apology for callin us a bunch of barbarians who never apologize to each other when were wrong . Yea , I realize the discussions can get kinda heated , but to me all that shows is that the people posting care , really care , about their hobby and will strongly defend a viewpoint . Thing is , I've not seen too many of us who havn't said sorry at one time or another when we discovered we were wrong .
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 AM
rcflyertim

init4fun-

I'm slow to respond sometimes but do check in every week or so. If you or anyone took my comments as to calling you "barbarians" then I do offer my sincere apology. I don't feel that any of you are like that. I just sense that politeness takes a back seat when it comes to subjects that we are passionate about. And we show very little sympathy for the other view or opinion. Like I said, I have found no better group of people to hang out with than my fellow flyers.

Also, post #351 did indeed post an apology and if I took the time to view all the forums, I am sure I would find others. My statement "Rather.....Both sides feel they are right and will defend their stance to the death of the tread. Even if they were wrong, they would never admit it!" ..... It was a blanket statement made out of frustration of what I see on here sometimes and it was without fully researching my comment. I was wrong. I will do better next time and choose my words more carefully and make sure they are factual before I say they are.

After the first bite, humble pie is not too bad!!

Thanks for your post

Tim
Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 AM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: rcflyertim

init4fun-

I'm slow to respond sometimes but do check in every week or so. If you or anyone took my comments as to calling you ''barbarians'' then I do offer my sincere apology. I don't feel that any of you are like that. I just sense that politeness takes a back seat when it comes to subjects that we are passionate about. And we show very little sympathy for the other view or opinion. Like I said, I have found no better group of people to hang out with than my fellow flyers.

Also, post #351 did indeed post an apology and if I took the time to view all the forums, I am sure I would find others. My statement ''Rather.....Both sides feel they are right and will defend their stance to the death of the tread. Even if they were wrong, they would never admit it!'' ..... It was a blanket statement made out of frustration of what I see on here sometimes and it was without fully researching my comment. I was wrong. I will do better next time and choose my words more carefully and make sure they are factual before I say they are.

After the first bite, humble pie is not too bad!!

Thanks for your post

Tim
[8D] Welcome words from an obviously stand up guy , , Thank You Tim !

And yea , You'd be welcome at any field I fly at as well .... Course , unless ya like frostbite , our season is just about to end up here ... Already getting to the 30s at night , and that means it'll be "building season" soon .... Now I just gotta get off my butt and get something on the build table for this one ....

[8D] Happy Flying Tim
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM
rcflyertim

Cold weather flying is OK. frostbite is not!! I bought one of those Tx gloves and will try it out this winter. It has a heater and regulator inside the case with a clear cover on it to see what you are doing. Years back...we flew in the winter til we could not feel our fingers, then went to the car to drink hot chocolate and warm up for another 20 min flight. Great fun!! ...when you are young but 30 yrs later.....not sure I would see the fun in it!!!! We average about 10 snow falls in winter with our BIG snows being about 18-20". We don't shovel away the snow just fly off the top with ski or flats installed.

Happy Flying,

Tim
Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: rcflyertim

Cold weather flying is OK. frostbite is not!! I bought one of those Tx gloves and will try it out this winter. It has a heater and regulator inside the case with a clear cover on it to see what you are doing. Years back...we flew in the winter til we could not feel our fingers, then went to the car to drink hot chocolate and warm up for another 20 min flight. Great fun!! ...when you are young but 30 yrs later.....not sure I would see the fun in it!!!! We average about 10 snow falls in winter with our BIG snows being about 18-20''. We don't shovel away the snow just fly off the top with ski or flats installed.

Happy Flying,

Tim
[8D] I think your gonna really enjoy the TX glove ... I've got one named "Raydiowarm" that is the plane jane model , no heater , but those "insta warm" disposable hot packs really heat it nicely . I have flown in -3 degrees F with this , and it was the only way I'd have been able to fly at that low of a temp . Maybe the youngsters can tolerate the cold well , but at my age , my fingers refuse to cooperate at much under 40 or so .... The -3 episode was a deliberate "freeze run" , to see if the TX glove was gimmick or really worked , and yea , it's worth it's weight in gold once ya get much below the 20s ....

Oh , and since I know your curious , it was a Lipo powered parkflyer that was used . Specifically , I used an Eflight Taylorcraft 450 with 480 outrunner , 1020KV , , , and a Hyperion 2200 MAH 3 cell lipo . This is one of my favorite parkies , and will usually go 10 to 12 min. before LVC @ 60 or 70 degrees F ... At -3 , the same setup with the same state of charge (Hyperion ios0606I charger) was a whopping total of just over SEVEN minutes !!!!

Yep , lost just about half the flight time due to the cold temp . And how do I know it truly was the cold ??? ....... The next summer the very same plane/battery/charger combo gave me my 10 to 12 min flights back
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 AM
rcflyertim

I wounder if you could put the batter in your Tx glove and worm it up as well and get you flight time back up?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 PM
KidEpoxy

If you run a 20c lipo pack at like 60c
they get so hot the cold weather has no effect on them [&:]

I bet if you put a prop 3in too big on
the heat from the motor and batt will keep the whole plane warm (or on-fire)
Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked your story crank. I perceive that to be a Black Labrador Retriever? Hope I am right here. Out of all the dogs I ever owned in my life, a pure bred lab that I owned was the most loyal and smartest of all.

My lab, much like yours, was extremely intelligent. He was so smart he knew your "eye language" and I bet you know exactly what I mean. My dog knew when I was not feeling well - amazing dog. I never had a dog before or a dog after that was even close to that lab. He had so many fantastic attributes and little, if no, bad ones.

I really have not had any pets in the past ten to fifteen years or so. My wife has a small Westie and she is a great dog, but never can come close to the black lab I owned many, many years ago. That lab would sacrifice his life in a split second for me without hesitation. I can certainly understand your post about your friend.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

No finer dog than the golden retriever. They are highly evolved "Labs".
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Liked your story crank. I perceive that to be a Black Labrador Retriever? Hope I am right here. Out of all the dogs I ever owned in my life, a pure bred lab that I owned was the most loyal and smartest of all.

My lab, much like yours, was extremely intelligent. He was so smart he knew your ''eye language'' and I bet you know exactly what I mean. My dog knew when I was not feeling well - amazing dog. I never had a dog before or a dog after that was even close to that lab. He had so many fantastic attributes and little, if no, bad ones.

I really have not had any pets in the past ten to fifteen years or so. My wife has a small Westie and she is a great dog, but never can come close to the black lab I owned many, many years ago. That lab would sacrifice his life in a split second for me without hesitation. I can certainly understand your post about your friend.
Thanks Luchnia,

Bad picture in my avatar. Here is a link that will give some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_(Groenendael) .

My dog probably wasn't a full blood Groenendael but he looked exactly as the male Groenendael in this link...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

My lab, much like yours, was extremely intelligent. He was so smart he knew your ''eye language'' and I bet you know exactly what I mean. My dog knew when I was not feeling well - amazing dog. I never had a dog before or a dog after that was even close to that lab. He had so many fantastic attributes and little, if no, bad ones.

Thanks Luchnia,

Bad picture in my avatar. Here is a link that will give some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_(Groenendael) .

My dog probably wasn't a full blood Groenendael but he looked exactly as the male Groenendael in this link...
Way cool and quite a fascinating breed. I don't think I have ever seen one. Sort of puts me in mind of a German Shepherd with long hair. The pup resembles a regular shepherd but you can see the difference in the long hair and almost has a Collie like appearance.