Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Good, Bad, Don't care? In any case this is from the minutes of the AMA July EC meeting:

AMA On-line Forum[/b]
The ED reported the forum was created some time in 2009. It has almost 2700 members and out of that, 2350 have made one post or less; and 90% of those posts come from 10 members. The proposal is to close the AMA forum; it is believed this can be done now because the blog system is now up and running. The blog system is a quicker way to get better information to our members; and eliminates the potential for conversations to get dragged off track. HQ continues to refine the ticket system (Ask AMA) where someone can ask a question and get an answer within 48 hours by a staff person; and creating the knowledge base mentioned earlier that will supplement the Ask AMA system on-line.

It was approved[/b]by acclamation to shut down the AMA Forum.
Brad

Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Good! Although I will miss the concise, no spin posts that Ilona Maine made there... She should have been put in place where Dave M. is now IMO... She is one of the greatest assets to AMA.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Good, Bad, Don't care? In any case this is from the minutes of the AMA July EC meeting:

AMA On-line Forum[/b]
The ED reported the forum was created some time in 2009. It has almost 2700 members and out of that, 2350 have made one post or less; and 90% of those posts come from 10 members. The proposal is to close the AMA forum; it is believed this can be done now because the blog system is now up and running. The blog system is a quicker way to get better information to our members; and eliminates the potential for conversations to get dragged off track. HQ continues to refine the ticket system (Ask AMA) where someone can ask a question and get an answer within 48 hours by a staff person; and creating the knowledge base mentioned earlier that will supplement the Ask AMA system on-line.

It was approved[/b] by acclamation to shut down the AMA Forum.
Brad

Don't care.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't visited in a couple of months, so OK by me.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't care either.

"90% of those posts come from 10 members"

Yea, because they ban anyone who disagrees.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Hossfly

AMA On-line Forum[/b]

It was approved[/b] by acclamation to shut down the AMA Forum.
Brad

Yes, one more item to be removed from the membership. Another step in the same direction that a much larger block of "leaders" is doing to the entire country.

Those "acclamations" are following AMA EC like a number of "executive orders" (small case on purpose) in another area.

Have you noticed the "We gonna' build us a Foundation!" Wonder if anyone might remember how a certain BAD GUY pushed for that item a number of years ago? Also notice that the proposed foundation will have no By-Laws requiring any Leader Member input! [:-]

Now how long will it take to transfer the AMA assets to a 501c foundation? Then the AMA can renounce its 501 and with a bit of maneuvering throw all the membeship inputs out of business. It is so easy.

It doesn't have to be that way, but any bets on how it will finally evolve to?

For you that will yell, "I see nothing about a foundation." Just go read the minutes. It's all there.

For you that never used the forum, that was YOUR choice. There were considerable visitors that at least had something to talk about in their own clubs, groups, etc.
That is to be deleted. Thanks to YOU non interested, all-about-me individuals.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a forum that never had a purpose and never needed to be started in the first place. It didn't take off because we didn't need it. The AMA spent money to do it because someone got the idea that all internet presence is good without having the know how to actually run an online forum. Now it's being shut down precisely for the reason it should never have been started- it serves no purpose.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

It's a forum that never had a purpose and never needed to be started in the first place. It didn't take off because we didn't need it. The AMA spent money to do it because someone got the idea that all internet presence is good without having the know how to actually run an online forum. Now it's being shut down precisely for the reason it should never have been started- it serves no purpose.
You are entitled to your judgment, no matter how wrong it is. AMA started the web site due to member requests. They then showed how much the EC and management wanted the website by placing far too restrictive rules coupled with some administrators that did not need any 30 pieces of silver to act as lap-dogs.

The forum was never given a chance to become really useful. I predicted this would happen and now it has. I also now predict that there is much more to come.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

From what you're saying it sounds like I was right. As they implemented it, it served no useful purpose. The simple fact that there were so few posters is evidence of that. Had the AMA really considered the RC community and how it works, they would have put a representative on the established forums to interact with people that way. It would have likely cost less and would have generated a lot more traffic.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Hossfly

From what you're saying it sounds like I was right. As they implemented it, it served no useful purpose. The simple fact that there were so few posters is evidence of that. Had the AMA really considered the RC community and how it works, they would have put a representative on the established forums to interact with people that way. It would have likely cost less and would have generated a lot more traffic.
No, jester, you are not right. With your limited experience in aeromodeling and AMA as a unit (Airplane Experience - 0 years building - 6 years operating - Intermediate pilot) I propose that you are not yet seeing what is called "The Big Picture". Having been a modeler and AMA member since late '40s and watched AMA come from an office in the DC red-light district (not a nasty as I was in that office when I was a DVP) active in FF, CL, and RC, I have had the opportunities to get a fair view of that Big Picture.

IMO, the forum was enacted to satisfy a number of members, then saddled with restrictions and punishments that only those living under the "Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three bags full" doctrine could withstand. I have observed and been a target for AMA management to keep me quite, and also quite removed.

BTW, the number of posters ia a small percentage of those reading those posts. There were frequently a high number of "Visitors" as compared to the posting members on the forum. When visitors learned of aeromodeling items being presented, then AMA profits as another individual learns something about model aviation. Look at the Beginners forum here on RCU. So many newbies get not-too-good information from good modelers, yet the newbie gets something that works now and can go forward. Arguments happen but AMA used that to kick members off the forum. AMA did not want the forum and now it uses all sorts of excuses to get rid of it.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 PM
bradpaul

All the internet AMA Discussions have their issues with insiders, outsiders, homers, haters, newbies, "experts", and moderation.  Posters are banned from AMA, RCG, RCU, RCT and with very limited exceptions the threads turn south fast.................................. who to blame everybody of course.      

90% of the posts came from 10 members............................  is it really that different here?   OK not perhaps 90% but it would not surprise me that >50% come from 10 members.           Is that bad?     or are they just interested in improving the AMA from their perspective.

BTW HC is it a co-incidence that the AMA Discussion Forum is being killed with the new Foundation" as an issue ?

Brad 
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
1320Fastback

I never knew there was a AMA forum.
How did they ever think it would compete (make money) with RCU and RCG.

AMA 1,000,000
Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I never knew there was a AMA forum.
How did they ever think it would compete (make money) with RCU and RCG.

AMA 1,000,000
The AMA fourm was not intended to make money but just a place for AMA members to exchange and find info.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Hossfly

//SNIP//
BTW HC is it a co-incidence that the AMA Discussion Forum is being killed with the new Foundation'' as an issue ?

Brad
There are a number of opinions swimming around in my head. It would take a thick book to write all such possibilities that I can conjure up. However having served as I did when I was an AVP, being left off the ballot for reelection, winning back by WRITE-IN, accomplishing what I did during that second term, and since then being zapped when again running for EVP, being denied the ballot by the EC, excetera, excetera, well friend, I must have more scars than most anyone in the arena of AMA Politics.

Brad and others, All I can provide is pure speculation and puzzle fitting.

Early '80s write-in votes were hidden by AMA Staff.Presdient finds votes in AMA gheadquarters and one person wins back his seat, Another is just a few votes short of winning back his position.

Several years later, new President has election turned over to an auditor. Works well for a number of years.

A famous person gets the AMA Presidency, one connected to EAA, also has a fine business out East, gives it all up for moving to Muncie for the EVP job that has to be way short of what he earned elsewhere. [:-]

Then in one swoop: Election ballots come back to AMA Headquarters. Same time the favored and most folks I talked to figured a shoe-in, the most progressive candidate for the AMA President, in YEARS, is not voted in. The winner is one that is a super nice guy, but has not - in my opinion - been very much a doer as a DVP for many years. He certainly failed to answer any question from me sent both by email and by snail mail.
Some years ago, I and another member offered to finance AMA's putting in a first class RV Park, at avery low interest rate, IIRC like 4-5% for whatever term AMA wanted. (At the time I was earning 8 to 13% on other such investments)

This now new Pres, then a DVP in charge of such, turned us down flat with all sorts of excuses.

Now as AMA has never spoke of a foundation, in one EC meeting, AMA institutes plans for a foundation emerging with bylaws being written with NO concern for previous information being presented to anyone other than the EC itself. NO MEMBER INPUT! NO REQUEST for info FROM MEMBERS, REGULAR OR LEADERS.

Therefore Brad therin the above lies my answer to your question. You already knew my answer as we have crossed paths too many times before. However Thanks to you for allowing me to give these new guys some of the history of AMA.

Hey, speaking of history, for you youngsters, read those 7-20 -12 minutes. AMA has instituted a possible 90 day membership suspension if you violate the AMA Safety Code. AMA Bylaws allow for the AMA to take all your priveleges if they deem it OK to do so. The Bylaws require a hearing if they wish to kick you out, but suspension from any activity or AMA facility is possible with no warning. At least the ATTORNEY spoke up that they may be pulling a bit too much there. That is a good point to remember.

Using Safety Code as a foot-in-the door could be something to think about. Once they get the foundation like EAA's organization, and the publishing corporation becomes a profit making entity outside any 501 (c) (3) connection, and you will be required to be a member of this Community Based Organization, well folks the sky is the limit if you wish to fly RC. NOW YOU KNOW!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

For anyone in the AMA that is reading ,

The real reason there never was any traffic at the AMA forum is all due to one moderator , ARBO , deleting any and all posts that he didn't like the poster of , even if such posts broke NO forum rules !

I just posted a question as to where a missing post went , and of course , without explaination , my post was deleted by ARBO as well . I defy ANYONE in the AMA management of that site to examine the post of mine that ARBO deleted , and tell me it broke any rule ! ( PS , the missing post I was asking about wasn't mine , I had just seen a fractured thread , and wondered what had been cut out of it . )

The quote of the removed post ;

"Why does it seem that Frank is talking to someone who isn't there ? Was there a post before his that got deleted without explaination ? Shame on anyone who would fracture this , what may be the last thread of the AMA forum ! But then , maybe all these fractured threads are the reason for the forum's upcoming demise ! Oh well , Later , it's been , mostly , fun..."

Now tell me , fellow AMAers , is that post in any way breaking of any rules , or is it just , once again , Paul being a bully with the only means he has , the delete button ?

REMOVE ARBO AS A MODERATOR AND MAYBE THE AMA FORUM WILL SEE THE POSTCOUNT TO SURVIVE !!!!!!!!

(Edited to add PS )
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: init4fun

The real reason there never was any traffic at the AMA forum is all due to one moderator , ARBO , deleting any and all posts that he didn't like the poster of , even if such posts broke NO forum rules !

I just posted a question as to where a missing post went , and of course , without explaination , my post was deleted by ARBO as well . I defy ANYONE in the AMA management of that site to examine the post of mine that ARBO deleted , and tell me it broke any rule ! ( PS , the missing post I was asking about wasn't mine , I had just seen a fractured thread , and wondered what had been cut out of it . )

''Why does it seem that Frank is talking to someone who isn't there ? Was there a post before his that got deleted without explaination ? Shame on anyone who would fracture this , what may be the last thread of the AMA forum ! But then , maybe all these fractured threads are the reason for the forum's upcoming demise ! Oh well , Later , it's been , mostly , fun...''

Now tell me , fellow AMAers , is that post in any way breaking of any rules , or is it just , once again , Paul being a bully with the only means he has , the delete button ?

REMOVE ARBO AS A MODERATOR AND MAYBE THE AMA FORUM WILL SEE THE POSTCOUNT TO SURVIVE !!!!!!!!

(Edited to add PS )
Your right about Arbo being one of the problems but there were more like him there on occasion.. That forum is not the only forum that takes on the flavor of the moderation. I look at good moderation to be something like baseball...ties should go to the runner/poster... but all too often posts are deleted with less than clear or flagrant rule violations. Subjectivity is the problem...and always will be... Its sort of a given, those that wish to moderate probably shouldn't be the ones doing it... We see examples of that everywhere else in life too...
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto. Every time I had an audience with our District VP I let him know I had similar feelings as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Its a shame that what could have been a premier forum will disappear due to lack of vision and poor moderation practices.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
2PUPS

Just like alot of things these days , here today , gone tomorrow . As for my thoughts on the closing of the AMA forums , I`ll keep them to myself .
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: init4fun

''Why does it seem that Frank is talking to someone who isn't there ? Was there a post before his that got deleted without explaination ? Shame on anyone who would fracture this , what may be the last thread of the AMA forum ! But then , maybe all these fractured threads are the reason for the forum's upcoming demise ! Oh well , Later , it's been , mostly , fun...''

(Edited to add PS )
Why hello init4fun!

It is unfortunate the AMA forum is going away, well, it would be unfortunate, if it was ever used. Those in charge at the AMA didn't frequent it, or post information there, and generally did nothing to provide content to let it grow. Perhaps they did not realize it took effort to actually get a forum moving forward.

But they did draw in a lot of malcontents that did nothing but argue about this and that nonstop. And blame everyone else, and claim they never broke rules, and generally acted like 10 year olds. Those in charge didn't want that there, it was removed, by any number of people that checked in and saw it. Dave was clear that he didn't want any of the negative posts, the negative energy, but people kept bringing it on. And rather than deal with the reality of what THEY did, they liked to go to other forums and complain that it wasn't their fault, that they did not do anything wrong. But it is clear to see, if you have seen most of these people on different forums over the years, they were always in trouble, getting points, warnings, bans. None of it ever their faults.

These are the kind of people that drove away good AMA members, with good positive stories about their clubs and experiences... Nobody want's to be around a bunch of crying children that bring nothing but drama to the place.

They rail on, on other forums about contacting the leadership and letting them know how they were wronged. I heard at times that some individuals did contact someone in the leadership, from the person they contacted, and most often, they told me they were tired of the whiners and wished they go away. But most of the time it appears it was all bravado and they never contacted a soul.
The norm for that 'type'.

Either way the forum is obviously on it's way out, and the same old people have headed over there to pop their heads up and crow about this or that, to see if they can get in a last shot, stir the pot one last time. Sorry, it ain't going to happen. If you have nothing to contribute that is of benefit to the AMA or it's members or other visitors to the forum in it's last days, don't bother, for if you get on there and start yelling and screaming and acting like a fool, you simply will be removed. So I guess you'll just have to take your final shots on other forums, where nobody cares about your complaints.

Have a nice day! Have fun hanging out at that other forum!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Arbo

Hey, Ken killed off a whole message! No opposing opinions allowed. What forum do you guys go to to complain about that treatment when you get it here?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Arbo

Hey, Ken killed off a whole message! No opposing opinions allowed. What forum do you guys go to to complain about that treatment here?
AMA's forum...well, at least for as long as it lasts....
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Hossfly

How does it go? What comes around goes around or vice versa?

At close to the end of the July 20 meeting, the Council is now setting up a forum for EC members to talk with each other. They shut down the forum for Leader Members to talk and now they are starting another one for themselves.

Who gonna' moderate that one? I am thinking they will not get the same treatment we did! HA! If these guys are not careful, they just all might get drafted into Congress.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Hey, Ken killed off a whole message! No opposing opinions allowed. What forum do you guys go to to complain about that treatment here?
AMA's forum...well, at least for as long as it lasts....
crank,
For once I have to agree with you. This comes to mind;

http://www.modelaircraft.org/forums/fb.ashx?m=14003

Just one example.

Regards
Frank
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, Ken killed off a whole message! No opposing opinions allowed. What forum do you guys go to to complain about that treatment when you get it here?

You may think your real funny with all the messages you delete over at the soon to be defunct AMA forum (that you , yourself sank by moderating OPINIONS instead of rule infractions , as a good moderator should have !) , , But everyone knows it was your agenda driven moderation that killed it .

Say all the little jabs at guys like Fred Huber you want , but he is 100% right , You ARE the reason that forum died !

How DO you look yourself in the mirror and sell yourself the BS you put out as fact ? Are you going to say you didn't try to sign on to RC Truth using someone else's id after having been banned there ? What kind of supposedly "Fair" moderator would do that ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.