Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

IMAA Constitution Under Assult

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA Constitution Under Assult

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAA Constitution Under Assult

Last week I received an e-mail sent by the IMAA that contained a survey that asked for my opinion on a number of questions on how the IMAA could save money. It is my guess that due to the decline in membership, the IMAA must now drastically cut its budget. This comes at no surprise to me. In 2002, while serving as the IMAA District One Director, I warned the Board that the membership would most likely continue to decline and would bottom out at its 1985 level of 4,500 members. The board had nothing nice to say about my prediction or me and continued to spend money as though the membership was rising rather than declining. It is now time to pay the piper!

The last question on the survey asked for an opinion on not allowing the membership to vote for the President or Vice President. Board members elected by the board would fill these positions. It was nice that the board asked for our opinion on this important matter, but sorry to say, the question was asked after the fact. I appears that the board voted on the following motion prior to the survey:

October 8, 2010

TO ALL DIRECTORS:

Pursuant to Article VII, Section 7 of the By-Laws of the Constitution of IMAA, I am polling the Board regarding the following motion.
Don E. Vineyard
Secretary/Treasurer IMAA

ACTUAL MOTION by Jeff Stremick, Director Dist. IX, second by Brian Wattie, Director Dist. 12:

"It is moved that the procedure for electing the IMAA President and IMAA Vice President be changed such that these two officers be elected from among the elected IMAA board members as follows:
a. Within 30 days of the announced election results the newly constituted board would elect from among their fellow board members the positions of President and Vice President;
b. These positions (President and Vice President) would retain all their authority and rights as Directors (e.g. they would still vote on motions as Directors of their respective districts but not as President or Vice President);
c. These would be ‘voluntary’ positions, but they would be allowed such expenses and travel, only as authorized by the board and budget for those positions;
d. This new election procedure would take effect with the 2011 IMAA elections; and,
e. A committee of Jeff Stremick, Brian Wattie and Pete Melin, will review and amend the necessary articles and sections of the IMAA By Laws to put this new process into effect.â€
REASON FOR THE MOTION:
The nomination committee came up with the basic idea of this change as a step forward in our organization. Since then it has been discussed with most, if not all, of the current directors.
This change is in tune with corporate practice in most companies and in other organizations. It will provide for a more compact management team to respond to the very real challenges facing the IMAA in the next few years. Some directors have expressed the view that it will also provide more accountability, and a more active, involved Board of Directors. There will also be some collateral cost savings in the operation of IMAA.

NOTE:
a. This motion is to be considered for action no later than 29 Oct. 2010.
b. This motion will change IMAA By Laws and therefore requires a 2/3rd majority vote to pass.
c. There is no change to the IMAA Constitution.

This motion was passed by the Board on a vote of 12 to 0 prior to the survey being sent. I strongly disagree with this action by the Board. I believe that this motion violates the IMAA Constitution which clearly calls for and elected President and Vice President. The Constitution clearly spells out how changes to it are to be made.

I have been told that this action was made in and attempt to save money. Yes, this would save the cost of transporting two people to two board meetings. This is two large of a price to pay for what the membership will loose. I can think of numerous other ways for the IMAA to save money.

It is my opinion, that if the IMAA is to survive, the budget must be such that it can be sustained by dues, at their current level, from 4800 members. This will require going back to how things were done in the past. People volunteered. I propose that all Officers and Directors budgets be cut to payment of office supplies only and that all travel and per diem payments be eliminated. The fee for the Treasurer be cut from the proposed $5000.00/yr to $500.00/yr with a quarterly review by an outside accountant.

The job of Secretary is now mostly computerized and does not require hours of manual entry as it has been in the past. This position should pay $500/yr also.

Today, I informed Bill Hamby, IMAA President that I would offer my services as IMAA Secretary, free of charge, for two years provided all other Officers and Directors agreed not to take any money for travel and per diem.

Call your Director and tell him that you want to be able to vote for the President and V. President. Tell him that you want the above motion resinded. You will find a copy of the IMAA Constitution on the IMAA Website.
Frank V. Ponteri
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IMAA Constitution Under Assult

Yes I got that same e-mail but I have to log-in to fill out the survey.
I have changed computers and have lost my log-in information and when I try to create a new one they say that the e-mail address is still used. So I haven't been able to use the IMAA website for some time...sob
Jim
IMAA ps04
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Frank the membership is voting every year but it is with their check books instead of ballots.
The Decline has been the same regardless of who has been at the helm or which groups are infighting.
I have said before that the IMAA as a SIG has decreasing value since the advent of the internet and AMA sanction of large scale meets bypassing IMAA.
ARF models plus plug and play systems pretty much do what IMAA did in the beginning when the information about engines larger than a 60 and wingspans above 72" were uncommon.
But back to the bottom line, when the well runs dry or goes to a smaller trickle all the bickering about who should do what will go away.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

I think you have hit the nail on the head. This sport is changing and I do not see membership in either the AMA or IMAA increasing.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Karp050555

My problem with the IMAA is that I feel it's blase`. I looked at the financials and it seems 50% of the income goes to producing High Flight so where does the other half go? Is it just to pay the travelling expenses of the officers?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I've noticed that the number of "Giant Scale" events that require IMAA to fly have declined as well, including Nall. I wonder how many people joined just to fly at Nall in previous years that won't renew because it wasn't required this year?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I've noticed that the number of ''Giant Scale'' events that require IMAA to fly have declined as well, including Nall. I wonder how many people joined just to fly at Nall in previous years that won't renew because it wasn't required this year?
The IMAA appears to be in their death throws because it was the only SIG that excluded anyone that was not an IMAA member from their events. Clubs wisely dropped the IMAA requirement to fly at their Giant Scale events for financial reasons mostly. Then they seem to have eliminated the IMAA forum that use to be on the their web site. I guess things have reached a state where they no longer allow non-members to view minutes of their meetings to get some flavor of what they are doing, membership numbers, etc.
In a day when you can shake a giant scale plane out of the box and fly it the same week one has to wonder if the IMAA has any revelance in the modeling community.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red, Take Cover. The sky is about to fall. I am moving closer to your way of thinking a bit more each day.

As long as the IMAA Leadership continues to simply make the Big Bird folks/IMAA Members to continue taking the poop that AMA bestows on IMAA, then IMAA is going the way of being a total Has-Been. The Leadership could easily negotiate a different Sanctioning Criteria that may help IMAA, however IMO the time has passed for any good to come of that.

In addition, I no longer even try to keep up with IMAA as The Leadership was some time ago simply closing themselves into a shell, with no rime or reasoning as to where they were going. Big Birds are no longer a "BIG" thing. The AMA-IMAA Sanctioning screws the IMAA Sanction right into oblivion. It is dangerous to do an IMAA Event as someone else can AMA sanction a Big Bird next door to the IMAAer and blow IMAA right down the tubes. [:@]

There was a time that IMAA events accepted short memberships, collectable at the event, like AMA does for contests/events. Why did they quit? They never told me!

Glad you brought this up. I was about to forget that I am an IMAA member.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:04 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Hmmm... the concept or theory of an organization shrinking or disappearing totally because it restricted participation to only its members is hard to understand... I hope AMA never does that... since you can now shake a RTF model out of the box cheaper and easier now as well...

Look, IMAA lost relevance simply because it dropped the ball and quit pushing the envelope for larger models...plain and simple...
Old 05-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

There was a time that IMAA events accepted short memberships, collectable at the event, like AMA does for contests/events. Why did they quit? They never told me!
The membership that the IMAA sold at events was for a regular membership as I remember. I don't recall either the AMA or IMAA offering "short" memberships, just their normal memberships. There was/is? an AMA provision for event memberships for foreign nationals attending an event.

IMAA put themselves in the box by NOT allowing non-members to fly at their events. All other SIGs do not have this restriction, hence they get out of the class C restricted catatgory that provides no protection.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 AM
s3nfo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will probably be my last year as an IMAA member, struggled with why I should renew even this year.

The new IMAA website, while pretty, provides considerably less useful information than the old website. I don't see any good reason to visit the new website anymore.

I considered starting an IMAA chapter in San Diego so we could host an event, and I was going to pay the charter fee, but couldn't even get 5 local IMAA members to provide me the information I needed (address and IMAA number) to fill out the charter application.

May still do the big bird event, just won't be an IMAA event.

Well, enough of this, I'm off to do another LMAI sign-off for a non-IMAA member.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

The membership that the IMAA sold at events was for a regular membership as I remember. I don't recall either the AMA or IMAA offering ''short'' memberships, just their normal memberships. There was/is? an AMA provision for event memberships for foreign nationals attending an event.

I do distinctly recall paying a small fee for a “pass†at IMAA events... some nominal fee of $5 or $10...

I never joined IMAA because the IMAA just seemed to be yet another extension of AMA...nothing really set them apart in my mind. Just a group of people trying to find some relevance or validation that just turned into more accolades for themselves... Just another "stripe on the sleeveâ€... But the devout AMA types seem to love that...LOL You’ll find abundant proof of that contention in the sign lines and posts on these forums...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Hmmm... the concept or theory of an organization shrinking or disappearing totally because it restricted participation to only its members is hard to understand... I hope AMA never does that... //snip//

LCS, The AMA, an organization, DOES do that. One has to be an AMA member to fly at any AMA Sanctioned Event regardless of the event Host.

Yes I agree that there was a time period that IMAA did allow the short membership/Pass. My last Hosted (CD) IMAA event that was in force. Maybe Red just overlooked that item. It did not last long. I thought the repeal was a very stupid move. Kind of like fishing with an unbaited hook or NO LURE!

An AMA CD can sell a license the day of his event.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

About the only parallel I participate in is IRCHA. You don't have to be a member to fly at the Jamboree but they put a very lucrative prize package together that you only have access to the drawing if you're an IRCHA member.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Hmmm... the concept or theory of an organization shrinking or disappearing totally because it restricted participation to only its members is hard to understand... I hope AMA never does that... //snip//

LCS, The AMA, an organization, DOES do that. One has to be an AMA member to fly at any AMA Sanctioned Event regardless of the event Host.

HC, since you seemed to agree with RS earlier, do you think AMA will suffer the same fate, for the same reason as RS contends?? Or is that something that only applies to a select(ive) number of organizations???

I wonder since it seems AMA is shrinking too...Well, except for the new grandkid free signup promotion...while the sales of models seem to be up... well at least for those that aren’t AMA members...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Gremlin Castle

I finally let my IMAA membership lapse. As a SIG it is no longer relevant to what is going on in giant scale modeling.

The number of people using ARF or ready built equipment for entertainment and competition is increasing while those that build for technical achievement and advancement are declining.

As such, the IMAA and AMA for that matter, have not found a successful way to coalesce this group into a SIG that is relevant to current time. What you have is a bunch of people spending time worrying about collecting a few bucks fly at an event rather than spending time creating a SIG that people want to join for reasons other than just a requirement to fly at an event.

The founders and contributors to the growth and success of IMAA in the early days have either passed on or been passed by. Those currently at the helm seem not to realize that the dynamic of large scale modeling has changed and is flying over the horizon while they are still on the hardstand trying to get permission to taxi.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

The founders and contributors to the growth and success of IMAA in the early days have either passed on or been passed by. Those currently at the helm seem not to realize that the dynamic of large scale modeling has changed and is flying over the horizon while they are still on the hardstand trying to get permission to taxi.
Those currently at the helm have been there many years, either as a Director or Assistant Director. Comparing 2008 IMAA Personnel Directory to the Officers, District Directors, and Assistant Directors you will see the same faces as presently shown on the IMAA's web page.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following is nothing new as "it" has been discussed elsewhere on the site......

Here's my "twist" on the declining numbers....in both IMAA and the AMA. It is simply a result of the aging and decline in numbers (mortality) of the MODELERS involved in the RC hobby. I am 49 yrs old and started dabbling in RC in the late 70's. I didn't get really hooked until the mid 80's but it has been my main passion since then. I consider my generation....40'somethings....to be the "tweener" group in RC. By that I mean....

The hobby for the past ten or so years...in my opinion....is 90% about flying. I am not bashing ARF's at all. I have many and fly them a lot. I also still enjoy building but admit that I get much less done now than I did ten or twenty years ago. When the IMAA originated...you had to build to fly.....or buy a plane built by someone else. Also larger planes were in their infancy and a lot of scratch building was done. the same applies to the engines and their development....converting engines, etc. It was just a different time with people of a different mentality, interests....and yes...maybe more free time. The people with those traits ("modelers") enjoyed hanging out with others of similar interests and seeing what new plane someone built and is now flying.

Fast forward to "today"....now when I go to one of the three local clubs I belong to, I almost never see a plane that was built by someone (non-ARF). I dont even give them a look. I just get nothing out of examining a plane that was built in a factory oversea's and came out of the box built and covered. WAIT....I admit...many ARF's are really decent now and fly great....but they just dont instill that "modeler curiosity" in me. Today anyone with a bit of cash can have a nice giant scale plane....not "scale nats" nice....but pretty nice.....if you dont mind a few hundred...or thousand other guys having the same plane....lol.

I also see no interest in MOST of the 30 and younger crowd to want to build or even do basic "set-up", trouble shooting, tinkering, etc. If it doesn't almost fly "outta the box", they would rather be tapping their I-phone screen....lol. Again...thats fine....just a sign of the times. I think they view RC flying as just a video game in the sky. If they have to do more than press a button....why bother.

I could go on and on elaborating. I am not bashing anyone or any type of plane. I think the IMAA appealed to "modelers" and unfortunately....they are "dissappearing".
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: loser

The following is nothing new as ''it'' has been discussed elsewhere on the site......

Here's my ''twist'' on the declining numbers....in both IMAA and the AMA. It is simply a result of the aging and decline in numbers (mortality) of the MODELERS involved in the RC hobby. I am 49 yrs old and started dabbling in RC in the late 70's. I didn't get really hooked until the mid 80's but it has been my main passion since then. I consider my generation....40'somethings....to be the ''tweener'' group in RC. By that I mean....

The hobby for the past ten or so years...in my opinion....is 90% about flying. I am not bashing ARF's at all. I have many and fly them a lot. I also still enjoy building but admit that I get much less done now than I did ten or twenty years ago. When the IMAA originated...you had to build to fly.....or buy a plane built by someone else. Also larger planes were in their infancy and a lot of scratch building was done. the same applies to the engines and their development....converting engines, etc. It was just a different time with people of a different mentality, interests....and yes...maybe more free time. The people with those traits (''modelers'') enjoyed hanging out with others of similar interests and seeing what new plane someone built and is now flying.

Fast forward to ''today''....now when I go to one of the three local clubs I belong to, I almost never see a plane that was built by someone (non-ARF). I dont even give them a look. I just get nothing out of examining a plane that was built in a factory oversea's and came out of the box built and covered. WAIT....I admit...many ARF's are really decent now and fly great....but they just dont instill that ''modeler curiosity'' in me. Today anyone with a bit of cash can have a nice giant scale plane....not ''scale nats'' nice....but pretty nice.....if you dont mind a few hundred...or thousand other guys having the same plane....lol.

I also see no interest in MOST of the 30 and younger crowd to want to build or even do basic ''set-up'', trouble shooting, tinkering, etc. If it doesn't almost fly ''outta the box'', they would rather be tapping their I-phone screen....lol. Again...thats fine....just a sign of the times. I think they view RC flying as just a video game in the sky. If they have to do more than press a button....why bother.

I could go on and on elaborating. I am not bashing anyone or any type of plane. I think the IMAA appealed to ''modelers'' and unfortunately....they are ''dissappearing''.

Good insightful post IMO.

I'd wonder though; how much smaller the hobby would be without ARFs now??? The "hobby" has evolved and for some it is more of a sport akin to fishing or hunting... buy the right gear to do the most effective job...

I look at modeling as a large all in compassing hobby or interest of which aero-modeling is just one of many facets... building or flying is just a further division of aero-modeling... It's all good... Model train guys are modelers...but may never dabble in aero-modeling... So, if you look at it from that perspective you'll find that you will chuckle inside when someone proclaims "he is a real modeler because he builds little airplanes"... For me real modelers are anyone that makes modeling activities of any kind their primary(key) pastime... If they go bowling or hunting more, then they may be bowlers or hunters, not modelers... modeling is just another activity for them guys... The older I get the less time I am willing to share with those non-modelers or modelers that only "do" model aviation as just "another activity". Just not enough time reserved for them now... just too busy aero-modeling...LOL
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread started out with the IMAA bylaws being and issue and ended with ARF bashing. In between there was a lot of sour grapes and whinning. Those of you unhappy with the direction of IMAA may be the problem. Do you do more than help yourselves? When was the last time you tried to take an ARF modeler and show them the rewards of building something from a kit or plans in a large scale. Leaving IMAA will not help. There are many SIGs that only allow members to participate, IRCHA, NMPRA etc. I joined IMAA in recent years after the early boom. I find the $25 to be well spent and the Highflight magazine is worth price alone.

Remember, our future survival will be dependent on CBOs to comply with the FAA requirements that allow us to operate outside of the sUAS rules.

Maybe it is time to to put your sour grapes aside and go back to contributing to the hobby we all love, not trying to bring it down.

Jerry N, anytime you need someone to sign something for IMAA, call me, I will be first on the list.

Paul S
Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Those currently at the helm have been there many years, either as a Director or Assistant Director. Comparing 2008 IMAA Personnel Directory to the Officers, District Directors, and Assistant Directors you will see the same faces as presently shown on the IMAA's web page.
Gee Red, sounds just like the AMA. Same old faces (with a couple of exceptions). Might be because they are all pulling from the same pool. Gotta be a Leader Member for your opinion to count, and crap like that. I guess that was the real reason to have Leader Members all along.

Bill, AMA 4720
Bottom Feeder #1
Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: paulsf86

Remember, our future survival will be dependent on CBOs to comply with the FAA requirements that allow us to operate outside of the sUAS rules.

Paul S
Very depressing when I hear people say things like that... And unfortunately probably true for most of them, that say things like that...

Hopefully, one day our privileges (freedoms totally gone by then) will be delineated in a concise menu of costs, thereby taking all the uncertainty out what exists now.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
rcflyertim

ask yourself....what is the purpose of a SIG? If you like it's purpose, you will support it cause.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: rcflyertim

ask yourself....what is the purpose of a SIG? If you like it's purpose, you will support it cause.
rcflyertim, I don't really agree with that. Actually the more I get involved into an organization, and the "Insiders" will not do anything other than support their own plate
I just have a problem when I see what could be a fine organization slowly deteriorate to a lesser and lesser group of a few that only protect their own space rather than identify the bad and work to correct it.

I support several organizations with my $$$, however at some time when the hiearchy refuses to try to make things right for the association rather than just their own
desires, well I can withdraw my support. So while I may like the PURPOSE and/or cause, I cannot continue my support when the officers are allowing the organizaation
to fall by the wayside just to suit their specific purposes.

The purpose of an AMA Significant Interest Group is to provide for a certain group of Aeromodelers to be in th company of those that like the specific plate of the group.
The problem results whern the Power Players forget to listen to the members, and/or pay no attention to the SIG's stated interests. Then the SIG slowly changes to an organization that differs from the original charter. Officers get "appointed" rather than elected. I have cut my membership in several SIGs because I see a few controlling
the entire spectrum. I would quickly support the SIG if I saw the officers were - in my opinion - more interested in the overall group rather than their own sprecific interest.

Just because I like the stated purpose, I will not support several "top-dawgs" personal interests.