Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Model Aviation and Dogs

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Model Aviation and Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Chucksolo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Model Aviation and Dogs

Totally agree on those that don't like dogs at the field. If you want to fly with others, leave the pooch at home.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Totally agree on those that don't like dogs at the field. If you want to fly with others, leave the pooch at home.
Maybe we can get AMA to include a ban of Dogs in the safety code... That way we would have a code people can follow.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Maybe we can get AMA to include a ban of Dogs in the safety code... That way we would have a code people can follow.
LOL. The sad fact is that there are a lot people of people out there who would love to dictate this and many other unnecessary rules to clubs that they have nothing to do with.

Our club members happen to thoroughly enjoy my two well behaved English Bulldogs and they have become somewhat of the unofficial club mascots. I don't think we need to be dicatated to by some far-away entitiy or let the actions of a few irresponsible people punish those of us that know how to handle our animals, train them properly, and respect the boundaries of others who may not appreciate other people's pets. It's all about common sense and basic manners. If someone is truly bothered by the dog, leash it up, put it in the car, or take it home. If the dog is hyperactive or unruly, don't bring it to the field in the first place.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52362.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1843560  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
cj_rumley

Maybe we can get AMA to include a ban of those that insert word for female canine about dogs at the field.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My two always go flying with me.

They cause no trouble, 'cos when I'm flying, they are in the car.

We arrive, go for a good walk... then I do some flying. After that, it's another walk.

Our "field" is 600 acres, so there's no conflict.
How could you leave this guy at home? All they really want out of life, is to be with you.

Name:	Rp44216.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1843630  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

Maybe we can get AMA to include a ban of those that insert word for female canine about dogs at the field.
Based on his previous posts, I think this was said with "tongue in cheek". I hope so anyway.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of us in our club have no problem with well behaved dogs at the field. As I said, wee had a few over the years that were better behaved, or controlled, running loose on the fild. The stayed off the runway while flying was going on, and stayed either in the spectators' area or around their partner's planes while in the pits. Never created any problem. Our enaction of a leash law was a reaction to a couple undisciplined dog/owner situations that resulted in minor scratches to a couple kids. We didn't want to take the chance of a serious injury.
Interestingly, our property owner's dog does run lose on the property, but when he occasionally comes up to visit, stays in the parking area. When the property owner visits, the dog is on a leash.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

Based on his previous posts, I think this was said with ''tongue in cheek''. I hope so anyway.
In this case I think "tongue in jowl" would be more appropriate.

Reagrds
Frank
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Chucksolo69

I think it is up the individual club. However, not being a "dog" person, I hate it when someone lets their dog roam around unleashed. Especially when they tell you, "Don't pet the dog, he tends to bite." Leave the damn thing at home or in the car. Sorry if I offend the "dog" people, but yes, there are those who don't cotton to dogs, I am one of them. I am sure there are plenty others.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM
johndavis

whats funny is that most of the bigger breed of dogs are more trained and less anoying than those small dogs
Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Live Wire

At our field, the owner has 2 dogs that love planes but hate goffers holes dug every where
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

In this case I think ''tongue in jowl'' would be more appropriate.

Reagrds
Frank
or nose in ask me no more questions...LOL
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

What's all this about dogs and Model Aviation. My dog loves Model Aviation.

Name:	Zx72176.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1846022  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

What's all this about dogs and Model Aviation. My dog loves Model Aviation.
Never will understand someone that doesn't like dogs...just looking at that trusting face made me feel better. Nice Dog!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Topic has come up at our field... most of the guys seem to love my old dog, but there is one dog that really likes to jump around.

Rather than banning all dogs. Maybe ban behavior... if dog is causing a problem, ban the dog for a month. If I cannot bring pooch, I would have to give up a lot of my flying. I pick up after my dog, but this year, I will do a better job of keeping track of him. Most of the time he just sits and watches.

Don't just make it a blanket ban, please.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Topic has come up at our field... most of the guys seem to love my old dog, but there is one dog that really likes to jump around.

Rather than banning all dogs. Maybe ban behavior... if dog is causing a problem, ban the dog for a month. If I cannot bring pooch, I would have to give up a lot of my flying. I pick up after my dog, but this year, I will do a better job of keeping track of him. Most of the time he just sits and watches.

Don't just make it a blanket ban, please.
Yea, I think most rules are born out of fear...fear of having to go man to man, face to face...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Chucksolo69

Why is it so hard to believe that there are people out there who don't necessarily cotton to dogs. There are plenty of us out there. For example, I have a friend who INSISTS on brining his dog to every function I have at my house. I have asked him repeatedly not bo bring the dog, but he does anyway. I haven't invited him to a function for a couple of months now and he feels offended according to mutual friends. Am I supposed to tolerate the dog in my house so as to NOT offend him? He's welcome to come, as long as he leaves the dog at home.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own dogs but i also would not bring to my flying field where they could get hurt . I have spent alot of money to build 6ft high fence around my property so that they can run and play and not bother anyone or not be bothered either. Just cause i love my dogs does not mean others would enjoy being around them soits bestfor me to leave mine home where they are safe and happy. Btw my dogs are small so its not like i own a pitbull or something. Here is one of my dogs sleeping with a cat. lol joe

Name:	Nl30282.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1846479  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

Why is it so hard to believe that there are people out there who don't necessarily cotton to dogs. There are plenty of us out there. For example, I have a friend who INSISTS on brining his dog to every function I have at my house. I have asked him repeatedly not bo bring the dog, but he does anyway. I haven't invited him to a function for a couple of months now and he feels offended according to mutual friends. Am I supposed to tolerate the dog in my house so as to NOT offend him? He's welcome to come, as long as he leaves the dog at home.
Perfectly understandable...and I think you've taken exactly the right course...and I truly do mean that...NO sarcasm meant or intended. You handled the situation exactly like everyone should IMO. We have to be tolerant of those that like dogs as well as those that don't...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't say ban, but do as I would do when I brought both kids and dogs out, and that is to keep them all out of the pits/ members area and in the spectators area/behind the safety line, which is in the safety code. I say this because I had to at times run the dog, get the kids out of the house, and use that same "spare" time to get some flying in all in the same period. It all boils down to being respectful.