Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA District IV Election Request

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA District IV Election Request

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
CashD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA District IV Election Request

District IV Model Aviation Enthusiasts,

This year, District IV was due to have a V.P. election in order to fill the slot held by Bliss Teague. Bliss is supposed to be at the end of his term limit, and therefore ineligible to hold the office again. However, there is a loop-hole in the rule where if a sitting V.P. runs unopposed he may continue in office. I was under the impression that a friend of mine was nominated to run for the position, but it appears that Bliss is once again the only name on the ballot.

Although our current V.P. is a nice guy and has served the district well for many years, I do think that the membership deserves better than to have no choice in its V.P.

Your ballot includes the option for a write in candidate which bypasses the normal nominating committee routine. I want to ask you to consider that option and write me in for the district IV V.P. slot.

While many of you know me, many of you don't; so a little about me to help you in your decision:

I have been involved in aircraft modeling since I was a child. Like many I started with the basic tissue covered rubber band powered models, then progressed to the 0.049 powered control line stuff. Eventually I ended up in Radio Control. I have flown gliders, control line, RC, giant scale, park flyers, helicopters and possibly some things I am forgetting at the moment. I am an average flyer at best (probably note even that!).

I have lived all over the country and have been in the northern Virginia area for the past 11 years, where I am an active member of several AMA chartered clubs including FARM, NVRC, PWCRCF, CMB, and the 121st.

In addition to having served on the boards of some of these clubs, in the capacities of President, Vice President, and Safety Officer, I am a Contest Director, Life Member and Leader Member within the AMA.

As I said, Bliss has been doing a fine job, but I think the membership deserves a choice.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter,

Douglas Cash
AMA L887
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMA District IV Election Request

Mr. Cash:

Welcome to the weird and "wunnerful" ways of the AMA's sitting Executive Council. [:-] Maybe you should have sent in a nomination for the friend. Then you would have been assured that such happened. Nominations can and HAVE been "....lost in the mail..." First Class with a return receipt usually does not get lost, but it has.

Get out as much information as you can to all your District members. Check the Club listings on the AMA web site and email or better yet snail mail to the officer/s. You cannot tarry as the time is drawing short for a mail campaign. I have a long record of battles with the AMA EC. There is no end to the shall I say, '...the liberties they take..." My best yet was being left off the nomination committee's list for DVP even as a then (1980)sitting DVP. Same for President that year. Ballots then counted in AMA. The President found that the staff hid the write-in votes and he then made them count the write-in ballots. I won reelection as a write-in. The Pres. was just a few ballots short. Then some time later the ballots were done at the Auditor's office. Now they are back in AMA Hdqtrs. Any result can be whatever they want.

Best of luck to you.

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
koastrc

First I would like to say what I know of Bliss and he is a nice man. Second things is the I don't care attitude of the membership. I have always been puzzled about the way we approach the governing of the AMA. I think you are a very good man. There is no doubt you love the AMA and what it stands for. It is to bad you give the impression you are mad. Know you are not, but that is the impression that has been relayed to me by some friends. The third thing I would like to point out about the government of the AMA is it is hard to navigate. There will never be a grass roots effort to change much because of the way it is set up. I and many others would like to know how and why the AMA was set up the way it is.
Of my many worries in life. The government of the AMA is down on my list. My concern for the AMA is my use of model aircraft as a escape form many of those life worries. The connection with the AMA has always been a part of securing a field for my escape.
Question? What is your take on how the government of the AMA was developed and why? Some people go off on all the short comings of some folks that run the AMA or are employed by the AMA. That really serves no purpose. I think the very structure of the AMA is a real problem if there is a real problem. Hoss, you and I share membership in other organizations. Many of these groups have a State by state representation. You have State conventions and from these conventions we elect people to go to National gatherings to elect members to represent us. Those people in turn elect a board to oversee the operation of the National organization for a set term. Not saying the EC system is not the way to go. What I do think is the EC system is hard to understand and seems distant from the membership. Something I think that keeps the AMA from going to the next level.
Thanks, I would like to hear what you and others think of the question.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 AM
CashD

ORIGINAL: koastrc

First I would like to say what I know of Bliss and he is a nice man. Second things is the I don't care attitude of the membership.
I agree, and hope I in no way gave any other impression. On the ocassions I have spoken with Bliss he has always been a perfect gentleman.

ORIGINAL: koastrc

I have always been puzzled about the way we approach the governing of the AMA. I think you are a very good man. There is no doubt you love the AMA and what it stands for. It is to bad you give the impression you are mad. Know you are not, but that is the impression that has been relayed to me by some friends. The third thing I would like to point out about the government of the AMA is it is hard to navigate. There will never be a grass roots effort to change much because of the way it is set up. I and many others would like to know how and why the AMA was set up the way it is.
Of my many worries in life. The government of the AMA is down on my list. My concern for the AMA is my use of model aircraft as a escape form many of those life worries. The connection with the AMA has always been a part of securing a field for my escape.
Question? What is your take on how the government of the AMA was developed and why? Some people go off on all the short comings of some folks that run the AMA or are employed by the AMA. That really serves no purpose. I think the very structure of the AMA is a real problem if there is a real problem. Hoss, you and I share membership in other organizations. Many of these groups have a State by state representation. You have State conventions and from these conventions we elect people to go to National gatherings to elect members to represent us. Those people in turn elect a board to oversee the operation of the National organization for a set term. Not saying the EC system is not the way to go. What I do think is the EC system is hard to understand and seems distant from the membership. Something I think that keeps the AMA from going to the next level.
Thanks, I would like to hear what you and others think of the question.

Unless I am reading this wrong, I think you are speaking to Hossfly with the rest of this, so I will leave it to him.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: CashD

This year, District IV was due to have a V.P. election in order to fill the slot held by Bliss Teague. Bliss is supposed to be at the end of his term limit, and therefore ineligible to hold the office again. However, there is a loop-hole in the rule where if a sitting V.P. runs unopposed he may continue in office. I was under the impression that a friend of mine was nominated to run for the position, but it appears that Bliss is once again the only name on the ballot.

Although our current V.P. is a nice guy and has served the district well for many years, I do think that the membership deserves better than to have no choice in its V.P.

No choice??? It seems D IV has exercised the choice not to nominate anyone else. If he is willing to do the job and members are overall happy with him, why not just leave good enough, good enough???? Otherwise said; Why would you want to replace him? Is there something he's done or not done that prompts you to take this action?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM
koastrc

I would like to hear what you and others think of the question. (last line of the post) Cash, I some time have a difficult time explaining myself. I aimed the question at Hoss because of his long time association with the AMA, However I meant for all to comment. That is why I added the last line, what you and others think of the question.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: CashD

No choice??? It seems D IV has exercised the choice not to nominate anyone else. If he is willing to do the job and members are overall happy with him, why not just leave good enough, good enough???? Otherwise said; Why would you want to replace him? Is there something he's done or not done that prompts you to take this action?
To continue along with the line of thought about not replacing a man whose job performance has been ok , I think "term limits" are a bit of a stretch in an organization such as ours , and the possible forcing out of a what seems to be a dedicated VP is proof that such term limits really don't serve us well . Why should we even need term limits when a non performing electee can be just as easily voted out in the next election ? It seems all these term limits is gonna accomplish will be the forcing out of folks who have already won more than one election for their occupied post , and thus must be popular with the majority of the voters . Why forcably remove someone liked just cause an arbitrary number of terms have been reached ?

The only problem I've got with the votin , beyond the term limits thing , is the idea that an independent outside company is no longer doing the balloting ... If what I read about this is true , that the ballot counting is now all done "in house" , well then , something bout the Fox guarding the Henhouse comes to mind .....
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
KidEpoxy

term limits are a step against GoodOleBoy environments,
just look at the stories we hear about nomination committee hijinx
.... hijinx that would just not be possible if actual term limits were in place

OP said he heard someone was nominated,
yet... not on the ballot?
Along with another poster above, I have to wonder
why the OP isnt saying that HE nominated that guy along with the nomination he heard about.

the org is far better served with an election resulting in
XXXX - 3700 votes
YYYY - 125 votes
ZZZZ - 98 votes

than the joke of
XXXX - 1300 votes
where the masses wonder Why bother to vote at all on a One Name Ballot.
If people in charge ever wanted to TRY to get low voter turnout,
just put out a OneNameBallot and you can count on folks not bothering to vote

Should we brag about our One Name Ballot system to the FAA to show we are a CBO?
Nah, maybe we should not be bragging about the OneNameBallot system.
Which ties in to what I've said for years:
If what we have done embarrasses us when talked about,
the solution is not to stop folks from talking about it
but to not do things that are embarrassing in the first place

Woohoo! ANOTHER year with ama One Name Ballots!
What opinions do folks form when they hear about small countries with OneNameBallots?
Is that the opinion we want folks to have about AMA?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM
CashD

Well, the results are out, and it looks like my effort didn't even make enough of a dent to send the message I had hoped:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...3Election.aspx

Thanks to those that supported the effort though.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sweat it CashD

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecminutes.aspx

Read all this stuff. Reminds me of all legislative bodies. Same old - Same old.

Just last evening I picked out one of my old books. Gary Allen's "None Dare Call It Conspiracy". Copywright 1971. Reviewed through it.
Lays out every step taken by the USA to get from there to here. Allen had the real Crystal Ball or he simply could see what previously happened and easily predict the future.

Unfortunately, far too many people are too much after the good life and now the world is about to change. It's not really something new. It has been well orchestrated the past 300 years. Toy airplanes will be the least of our worries in just a few more short years. Armageddon is just about upon us.

So don't worry about shelled peanuts, it's the meteorites that are in the future. []