Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Flying field question

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Flying field question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 03:40 PM
jetmex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying field question

I need some info from someone who is very familiar with the safety rules regarding flying field setup.

Several months ago, an oil survey company began drilling for oil on the land surrounding our field. We were assured by the field owners that the situation was temporary. We were unable to fly for several weeks due to the drilling derricks and equipment on the approach end. A few days after that, a large oil storage tank and gas separating towers appeared about 100 yards from the flying stations and basically pretty much in the normal flight path for our field. These items sure don't appear temporary to me! [>:]

I don't feel that this situation is safe and haven't flown there since the tanks went in. The field owners don't appear to be too concerned about this and I would like some opinions and comments from some of you out there. I would like to get some more feedback before I go to the AMA with this.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:57 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Flying field question

ya got a coupla choices:
1 move yer runways to a position where the tanks/seperators are not in the flight path.
2 realise that this is where the control part of radio control comes in to play, and exersise proper flying skills.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 AM
the troll
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't feel it is safe it would probably be best not to fly there, especially since you have expressed such. I think it would be fine to fly there tho. What is the worst that could happen? Maybe a plane might hit the tanks or something and cause an explosion and a fireball that spreads and burns the country side for miles and miles.Seriously every flight of any aircraft has the potential for a terrible accident. We just have to decide for ourselves what is an acceptable risk every time we fly. I hope things work out ok for you.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several months ago, an oil survey company began drilling for oil on the land surrounding our field. We were assured by the field owners that the situation was temporary. We were unable to fly for several weeks due to the drilling derricks and equipment on the approach end
Sounds like a place I know. LSRC/FF. If I am correct, I suggest you transfer some 6 miles up the road to a first class place. A few more $ per year, and a tad more regulated, but the facilities are 100 times better.

On the other hand perhaps you could get your so-called *owners* (lease-holders) to re-think that property about 1.6 miles east of you. It was for sale / lease some time ago and very reasonable, less than 1/3 of what the other place PURCHASED their property for. Unlike the other place, that property is, as FF is, flood plain and not subject to future development. However ALL the other place's members (115 now) are OWNERS, and the Corporate Bylaws provides for their financial gain in case of disolution / restructure.

If I am not correct in the specific club/s, then it is difficult to fight Big Oil. I simply suggest you find another place and if enough do so, then mayber the owners will get concerned.

Best of luck JXXX.