Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA issues new guidelines for FPV

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA issues new guidelines for FPV

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA issues new guidelines for FPV

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

It has honestly been 12 to 15 years since I saw an ultralight venture beyond the perimeter of our municipal airport. 20+ years ago, I used to see them out and about, but there was uausally a tragic event once or twice a year on the local news back then.
Regardless, they have NOTHING to do with my feelings about FPV. That's like saying, if I am against private citizens owning Tommy Guns or RPGs, how could I possibly advocate hunting rifles..?
We had the pleasure of having a ultralight pilot land and take back off at one of our flying spots recently and he had to transverse the city to get to our flying site...no problems whatsoever... Matter of fact, one the places I love to fly the most has ultralights take of and land fairly regularly along with other full scale...No problems there either... These big problems people manufacture about models and full scale is blown way out of proportion.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, ultralights have been known to traverse populated areas without incident.
It has been done.
In our area so thickly wooded and now over built with MacMansions on 1/4 acre lots everywhere [full of folks eating their MacHappy Meals], it's no wonder why we don't see as many ultralights straying very far from base these days.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Do these folks with ''SHARKS'' ever eat any meat..?

If so, where do they think the meat comes from..?
So, are theses pigeon shooters(can't use the term hunters) eating the pigeons they shoot?

Oh, BTW, the use of that FPV isn't in any way a hobbyist type of use...that was an outright and intentional privacy invasion of a shooting club.
So you agree that not all FPV flying should be considered a modeling activity?

Regards
Frank
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

Regards
Frank
Yes, I agree... the same as I agree all Rider trucks aren't used for moving...been trying to hammer that home around here forever...it's not the equipment, its the intent and use of whatever that matters... He could have used a slow-stik, scale P-51 or any number of other siz wizzys and my position would be exactly the same.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Do these folks with ''SHARKS'' ever eat any meat..?

If so, where do they think the meat comes from..?
So, are theses pigeon shooters(can't use the term hunters) eating the pigeons they shoot?
I don't know. I certainly would...it is a sin not to.
I don't know of ANY bird hunters [shooters] who don't eat what they can retrieve.
[8D] I've eaten pigeon . Squab it's called . Raised just like the chicken everyone eats . Tastes ok , just another bird . I'd eat it again .

opposite end of the scale ? I've had emu also , and didn't like it one bit

Yes , if I were to shoot it , you bet I'd have to eat it , would be a Sin otherwise I agree 100%

So , Back on track , I still havn't seen any helpfull Hams post me up a list of the commonly used frequencies for FPV , with a notation of which belong to the Hams vs general public . I ain't kidding , I just may want to try AMA legal FPV , and I'd like to remain FCC legal as well . A lot of conjecture has been posted about "your pissing on Ham territory by flying FPV without a Ham license" without a clear and easy to understand chart being produced to define who owns what .

[8D] Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it !!!! [8D]
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: init4fun

[8D] Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it !!!! [8D]
Back at you! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well... We must never loose sight that we have so much to be thankful for...
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM
bradpaul

The complaints by a few RC'ers will have no effrct on the permisability of FPV flight however the outcry from a "citizen" over a busybody neighbor spying, or a commercial FPV flying over private property will.  How many flying fields, public parks and open spaces hve been lost to noise complaints or just a person that just does not like people having fun?

The localofficials will be easily swayed by complaints of privacy and noise and it will be just too easy to ban RC flying because of the squeaky wheel.  

The issue that will limit FPV is not AMA regs, control BLOS, etc, it will be the demand for privacy within ones property.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FPV is "In My Openion" is playing with fire as far as the FAA is concerned. The FAA doesn't listen to the NTSB ... What makes you think they are going to listen to congress of any other orginization ... The FAA has, and has had, for ever a mandate to "PROMOTE Air commerce" and protect the flying public. and the personal in the FAA changes all the time and people have differant ideas ... FPV should be put on the back burner if we expect to have any chance for it to be a viable addition to our Hobby / Sport after the FAA isues the final FAR's on sUAS, Federal Aviation Regulations on small Unmand Areial Systems. ... IMHO
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

it will be the demand for privacy within ones property.
That's where the biggest argument for FPV is IMO... but as we have seen, arguments like that have done very little to preserve privacy...
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
phlpsfrnk

Regards
Frank
Yes, I agree... the same as I agree all Rider trucks aren't used for moving...been trying to hammer that home around here forever...it's not the equipment, its the intent and use of whatever that matters... He could have used a slow-stik, scale P-51 or any number of other siz wizzys and my position would be exactly the same.
OK, let's see if I can get a sense of the limits you will agree to here. If I were to equip my 10 lb scale Lockheed U2 with FPV, how high above 400 ft or how far out of sight should I be allowed to routinely fly it as long as I'm not using it to spy on anyone?

BTW here is an excellent example of modeling and the use of FPV;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTuYM9SyNg

Regards
Frank
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM
littlecrankshaf

Regards
Frank
What a second there partner... are you saying that FPVing can be apart of model aviation??? If so that is bigger than any limitations I could arbitrarily dream up...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

What about something like this, this would work!

http://www.uxvuniversity.com/
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 PM
HoundDog

Except for flying over some other people and cars at the beginning that's what FPV is really about. The air craft were keept well with in range, had an observer and didn't try to do some thing stupid like fly near or in the clouds.
Great Job with the video. Thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

What about something like this, this would work!

http://www.uxvuniversity.com/
gjhinshaw,
As a modeling activity I think that is a fine example of what is not modeling. Most of the arguments are more a matter of where do we draw the line between a hobbyist UAV and a modeler's FPV equipped aircraft. To me the one major distinction between them is line-of-sight.

Regards
Frank
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
bradpaul

Regards
Frank
OK, let's see if I can get a sense of the limits you will agree to here. If I were to equip my 10 lb scale Lockheed U2 with FPV, how high above 400 ft or how far out of sight should I be allowed to routinely fly it as long as I'm not using it to spy on anyone?

Regards
Frank

Ahhh...... well without any expectation of being within AMA Rules or covered by AMA Insurance, I would say:

over uninhabited areas
with appropriate spotters

there is no weight, hieght, distance limit needed..........

Why should FPV be more restricted then high power rocketry? But notice I said "more" not "less" in my reference to HPR.

Brad

Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Regards
Frank

Regards
Frank

Ahhh...... well without any expectation of being within AMA Rules or covered by AMA Insurance, I would say:

over uninhabited areas
with appropriate spotters

there is no weight, hieght, distance limit needed..........

Why should FPV be more restricted then high power rocketry? But notice I said "more" not "less" in my reference to HPR.

Brad

Every thing incluing HPR is going to be restricted by the new FAR's, More than anyone can imagian ... it's coming to a flying field near you, Eventually.