Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Journalists using drones.

I just found this tid bit of information in my home county-forgive the edit but I was trying to copy and paste but I did not change the content-thanks

"[b]A Texas sheriff's office confirms safety concerns about the spread of domestic drones"

Topics: drones, Domestic drones, Police, Texas, SWAT, News
    (Credit: Wikimedia)

In a recent investigative report by the Center for Responsive Politics and Hearst newspapers, the authors expressed concern that drones were being pushed into the domestic market before safety and ethics issues had been sufficiently addressed. Such fears were confirmed this week when the first police department in the country to acquire an aerial drone crashed the $300,000 aircraft into its own SWAT team.

The Montgomery County, Texas Sheriff’s Office had planned a big photo opportunity with their newly acquired surveillance drone. It all went horrible wrong wehn, according to the Examiner, “[The] prototype drone was flying about 18-feet off the ground when it lost contact with the controller’s console on the ground. It’s designed to go into an auto shutdown mode…but when it was coming down the drone crashed into the SWAT team’s armored vehicle.” (The SWAT team had suited up, armored vehicle on hand, for the purpose of the photo).

“Not only did the drone fail, and not only did it crash, it literally crashed into the police. It’s no wonder we’re not able to find a video of this spectacular publicity failure,” noted Gizmodo.

No one was injured but the incident nonetheless highlights concerns about the domestic proliferation of drone technology. The CRP, Hearst report explicitly listed collisions as a concern insufficiently addressed by lawmakers in the so-called “drone caucus,” who have pushed an agenda to hurry drones into the hands of police departments and private corporations.
    Close

Natasha Lennard is an assistant news editor at Salon, covering non-electoral politics, general news and rabble-rousing. Follow her on Twitter @natashalennard, email nlennard@salon.com. More Natasha Lennard.
    \"IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY AIRPLANES -FLY BOLDLY AND REDUCE YOUR NUMBER\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well its more relevent because this is about air rights and trespassing laws. You are trying to make it an FAA issue. 
    If it's only about trespassing, then the local municipality/state laws should be discussed. The discussion has turned at one point to FAA limits, which has absolutely nothing to do with trespass. You're either trying to confuse the issue, or are having trouble keeping up.

This has nothing to do with controlled airspace. 
    Who said the incident occurred in controlled airspace?

Well in some controlled areas such as near airports the FAA control is to the surface. So why does that not exempt the pilot from trespassing? 
    Again, controlled airspace, and uncontrolled for that matter, has nothing to do with trespass. You're mixing apples and oranges. The FAA enters in when one makes an off-airport landing without the property owner's consent, not as trespass, but for unapproved operation. Trespass starts when the property owner calls the cops.

I might not be very good, but I'm fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's interesting, 'cos in England, trespass is no concern of the police.

It's purely a civil matter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It hasn't been a problem in the past. There is no clear regulation which forbids flying over private property.
    The FAA does not care about this at all - it's not their job to make sure all homeowners are happy, safety is their concern.
    Airspace regulations define aircraft operations, not property rights.

Now we have some powerful drones and fpvs in private hands and there should be regulations. The government will not act until some accidents happen. They sure like to be able to send out drones to anywhere and anybody they want.
    If a drone hovers close to my house, I see this as a thread, who knows what it carries. I think reporters with camera drones is something we don't want to see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The FAA does not care about this at all - it's not their job to make sure all homeowners are happy, safety is their concern.
    Airspace regulations define aircraft operations, not property rights.  
    Well said !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can't shoot a journalist on your property, but an unidentified drone flying over your property? BOOM! a shot shell loaded with salt or rice would probably do it nicely.

..... btw, why is it a drone and not an RC aircraft ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: eddieC

For the moment let’s get back to the basics. Do you agree that according to the FAA I can fly within feet of the surface if I so desire as long as I maintain 500 foot separation from any person, vehicle or structure?
    True, as long as you're not creating a hazard. (... and it's in 'non-navigable airspace'. )

Non-navigable airspace is simply that which is not navigable airspace, simple english. I gave you the US code that defines navigable airspace. It is not used for aircraft control, but is used for towers and other structures because you have little or no restrictions when erecting in non navigable airspace.
    Your attempts at rationalizing a made-up term are laughable. Trying to come off as an expert isn't your strong suit, guy.

No, flying a model airplane at any altitude is trespassing. Only certified aircraft can fly over other people's property
    I almost shot coffee out my nose on that one! SP, you should change your sig to Mr. Mxyzptlk from Bizzarro World. (Anyone remember Superman comics?) You get everything warped or backwards.*
    Non-navigable airspace is a term used to define that airspace that the FAA has deemed not necessary for controlled navigation ie: IFR or instrument approaches, by aircraft. It is used to determine if you are required to get prior approval from the FAA to build a structure. If you want to build a 2000' tower and it extends beyoud the non-navigable airspace you would be required to obtain permission from the FAA as it has the potential to interfere with flights under FAA control.

As far as only certified aircraft being able to fly over houses, that is simply untrue. True ultralights are not certified and are legally able to fly over persons, vessels, vehicles and structures, as long as they maintain proper separation and are not over densely populated areas.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't forget ultralights are 'vehicles' in the eyes of the Feds, like a snowmobile or ATV. They generally don't show when one crashes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have surveillance cameras at every street corner, office building, retail outlet, some homes. 1/2 the population is carrying video equipment where ever they go. It's getting pretty hard to do anything that goes totally unnoticed.
    With gang violence reaching war zone status and climbing in some urban zones I can definitely understand the perceived need for drone activity by both the news media and law enforcement.
    Drone technology will continue refinement by the "good guys" and once it becomes fool proof it will get turned against us by you know who.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CP, you have a healthy paranoia level!  [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: eddieC

CP, you have a healthy paranoia level!* [8D]
    Unfortunately I think he has it nailed...
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Intresting article how drones will erode our privicy by their use by journalists.* A few things about this does not see quite right, but not sure where the regulations sit right now.
    Sport,

Also interesting how all the talk about it impacts AMA, aeromodeling in the US, sUAS operations (or lack thereof) and prospects for the industry, etc.

From a recent AMA blog Privacy Vs. UAS… a Stumbling Block for 2013 (?) a summary of positions of various stakeholders in UAS

"◾FAA – The privacy issue must be resolved before moving forward with UAS integration
    ◾UAS Industry – This is a cul-de-sac issue… digital data collection and persistent imaging by government and private entities exist throughout our lives today and have for years.
    ◾DoD – The collection, storage and dissemination of data/imagery are separate issues and apart from the platforms on which the sensors are mounted, and should be addressed separately
    ◾AUVSI – The primary mission of the FAA is safety… The FAA should adhere to the will of Congress as well as focus on the agency’s stated mission of providing ‘the safest, most efficient aerospace system in the world… Such conversations (civil dialogue on privacy) should take place concurrent with the (UAS) integration.
    ◾Manned Aviation – It is our belief that for FAA to succeed, the agency must remain focused on safety rather than privacy issues, where the FAA has no statutory standing or technical expertise.
    ◾Academia (John Villasenor) – Protected rights are already provided in the Constitution. If someone infringes those fundamental rights, then the Constitution, as applied through the courts, stands fully capable of protecting us against that behavior."

Pretty much FAA vs. everybody else concerned. It appears that FAA is using this issue as an excuse for inaction on UAS integration in the NAS, as mandated by Congress. I doubt they seriously consider privacy rights to be their charter.

As to whether this is good news or bad, I'm ambivalent. As a modeler I'd just as soon the proposed rules never get released. OTOH, I don't think that would be good for the country as a technology leader, or for small businesses having a chance in the industry. The mega players in aerospace won't be affected - they can pay what it takes to get their products approved and likely consider the money well spent to avoid competition from the small fry that lack the legal departments to deal with the hoops.

CJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Journalists had, in the past, (50+ years ago) policed themselves very well. As tabloid and shock journalism slowly creeps into so called "main stream journalism" we are seeing more and more inappropriate tactics used by "journalists," and I use that term very loosely. Anyone that would operate sUAS's for illegal or inappropriate reasons should be dealt with harshly, and this goes for government operators as well. There are far too many benefits to be gained from their use, such as telecommunications, agriculture, geology, weather, public safety, natural resources, and national security. To let the threat of possible misuse prevent their use will do more harm to our freedom than allowing their use. The same arguments are being used to try to take guns away from civilians right now.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guns [just for the sake of self protection] are a neccessary evil that are pretty close to 100% safe when used properly..in other words, my guns don't pose much of a threat to the guy who lives 1/2 a mile from me.

I don't think drones flown low over populated areas will ever be any safer than the planes I've flown for sport within the confines of the flying field...which isn't saying much.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rats, just as I thought this thread was going to get going, it dies out. BTW, I'll be navigating my Blade MCPX in my non-navigable airspace living room in five minutes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't believe everything you read.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

UASPilot training confernece call with George Sigler Friday Jan 4th at 6:00PMEST, http://juggernuatpages.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I will be doing a live twitter feed at the AUVSI Show in Orlando May 12-15. If you're interest follow me on twitter @billrockus for the live feed from the show.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234