Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA flying field??

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA flying field??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
BigSky
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA flying field??

I recently moved to Ohio and was searching for a new club, but being very busy with a new job and house etc, I haven't had alot of time this summer to fly. I joined a club, Portage Aero Modelers, in Stow, OH. The guys there are great, a friendly bunch, But the field is rather tight. It is actually in a city / county park. Now, here is my concern. It is very public, behind the "flight line" is a camp ground, directly across the runway is a road and parking lot. Just beyond that are the ball fields. Bear in mind now there are no posted warning signs, no fences or barricades.

I drove to the field last weekend to see if any planes were flying and there was 1 fellow there flying a 40 size trainer. He was a bit rusty, had been out of the hobby for several years. (I am in no way putting any of this on the pilot) He was flying at a pretty good speed and comming in on his final aproach and just as he landed 2 young boys had just crested the hill and were 15' from the plane.

This makes me very nervous to fly there. I am currently seeking an alternative. I want to stress that I am not bashing the club itself. I am just concerned that this is an AMA field.

I know that there are probably other fields like this out there. What do you guys think about this?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: AMA flying field??

Truth be told, there is no such thing as an "AMA field." They provide recommendations as to the preferred layout of a field, but they in no way inspect, approve, or otherwise regulate the field. That's the club's job.

Most likely, the field is only being used due to lack of alternatives. If only one person is flying there on a weekend, and he's just getting back into it (presumably unfamiliar with the local flying crowd), that should tell you something: The people that have been around and know better aren't comfortable flying there either. They've all sought alternative facilities, just as you are.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:36 PM
abel_pranger

BigSky-
'AMA field' only means that the club has paid the charter fee to insure the site ower, its use is open to AMA members only, and that (usually) there isn't another AMA chartered field within 3 miles of it. Other than the proximity to another chartered site, AMA probably knows nothing about it. Most fields have their limits as to what sort of model aircraft operations they can Accomodate. From your description, it sure doesn't sound like it could safely support pylon racers or giant scale models, but might be just fine for smaller models and helis, for example. Model flyers need to use good judgement, individually and collectively as a club, and stay within those limits. Most do.

Abe
Old 09-19-2003, 11:54 PM
BillM

BigSky
This is one field I would stay away from. Find another field as fast as you can. This place sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

BM
Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Live Wire

There is one AMA flying field in MUNCIE ind. call for reservations and tures.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

No reservation is needed, just grab your AMA card, your plane, and go fly!

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

There is one AMA flying field in MUNCIE ind. call for reservations and tures.