Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Digital version of AMA mag available online.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Digital version of AMA mag available online.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Digital version of AMA mag available online.

https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/2012/12/1

Works for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Digital version of AMA mag available online.

This question has been asked repeatedly here and it makes good sense to give the membership the option to receive the magazine or not.
This question needs to be asked of the folks who make the AMA Gravy Train their livelyhood. Let's hear what their justification is.
Problem is, they are disconnected from the realities of the real, competitive world. If they had to operate in a competitive environment with a more fickle clientele things would be different.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 PM
mr_matt

I did not mean to opt out of the magazine entirely, rather just opt out of the paper version.

They are actually charging extra on top of the dues for the digital version (I think). So to me that is going in the wrong direction. Heck don't even give a discount, just let people go digital to save a tree for goodness sake
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I did not mean to opt out of the magazine entirely, rather just opt out of the paper version.

They are actually charging extra on top of the dues for the digital version (I think). So to me that is going in the wrong direction. Heck don't even give a discount, just let people go digital to save a tree for goodness sake
No answer here to your question/s of "Why...." However I for one have NO INTEREST in any "digital" magazine. I don't spend much time reading magazines and when I do, I want to pick it up and read or scan and have it available the next time I feel the need!

SO, AMA, NO DIGITAL fer me!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM
combatpigg

Hoss, that's fine and dandy....but you must be able to see the economic wisdom in making an on line version optional?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Interesting question and the true answer would probably take some research.

The obvious answer for right now is probably "because its an additional expense to produce and not everyone would want it" which I believe is valid. If say 5% of the membership wanted it, why should the other 95 percent pay for it.

Also, I'm sure the cost per issue for printing would go up if less than a certain number of hard copy issues were printed.

The key here would be how many people want printed versus digital.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hoss, that's fine and dandy....but you must be able to see the economic wisdom in making an on line version optional?
Right On, C.P. I have no opposition to the digital for those that want it. OTOH my vote for one or the other will always be "PRINT". Of course I don't get my "WANT" very often, and I have not yet tried to fall off the world! Happy New Year there CP!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
combatpigg

Happy New Year to you to, Mr. Cain and thankyou for your service to what was once a better place to live ....and for all those AWESOME SONIC BOOMS us kids used to love to hear while playing without any cares in the World after school on the playgrounds of the 1950s, 60s and 70s.
[I'd pay cash money to hear one of those again]. I do get to see some interesting stuff over fly my land en route to Whidbey or Boeing field, but it's not the same compared to what I used to see living near Hamilton and Travis AFB.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that a full and exact digital version of the paper magazine is available, at no extra charge, from the AMA website. However if you want to download it to an iPad or other similar devices, it has to be downloaded through a service, like iTunes. These services charge about a buck 99 for a download. To ease the pain, the AMA provides additional content not available anywhere else.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
mr_matt

Thanks John for the tip and I updated the title.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is the AMA charging extra for a digital version of the magazine?

ORIGINAL: JohnShe

It appears that a full and exact digital version of the paper magazine is available, at no extra charge, from the AMA website. However if you want to download it to an iPad or other similar devices, it has to be downloaded through a service, like iTunes. These services charge about a buck 99 for a download. To ease the pain, the AMA provides additional content not available anywhere else.

I downloaded the 1st digital issue (Aug '12) to my iPad and there was no charge for the app or any other 3rd party service. I believe that was essentially a promo by AMA/MA and subsequent issues are listed at $1.99 ea. or $18.99 for a a year subscription. Not bad, if I didn't have to pay for the dead tree version as well. I don't think Apple or the ISP get any of the $buck 99...........they don't get any $$ for NatGeo, Wired, Time et al that I subscribe to - access to the tablet versions is included with paid subscription. Haven't really taken notice whether the digital-only option is any less pricy for those that I subscribe to.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM
combatpigg

Based on what this month's issue weighed [as I hurled [is that a word?]] it into the trash X 130,000 members, that equals 637 tons worth of magazine sent out per year to all members.
The AMA has sent just to me alone... 197 pounds worth of magazines over the past 27 years.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to have both the printed version and digital access via my smartphone. However, at $18.99 per year to add smartphone access I will have to be satisfied with just the print version.