Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Forget the DOGS. It's Bash AMA time.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Forget the DOGS. It's Bash AMA time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Forget the DOGS. It's Bash AMA time.

Ok, so some members got sent two cards, the appropriate officers of the AMA have been notified and they're working on a way to make it better.
sounds like a done deal to me...
frankly, I'd rather have an administrative glitch here or there than have the powers that be decide that now we need an official "department of redundancy department" to look at each and every piece of mail that the AMA sends.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Something weird ;

If I do the one year renew , I get one card . This is as it should be .

But , If I do the two year renew , I get two cards . For instance , for the years 2010 and 2011 I did the two year renew . I got a card at the beginning of 2010 that had indicated it was good for both 2010 and 2011 . In the beginning of 2011 , I got a card that indicated it was good for 2011 . This second card being unneeded since the first card covered both years .

Course , How else would we get those wonderful decals to stick on our flight boxes each year if they only did a single mailing covering the two year renew ...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EXACTLY! dowe nothave some planes to build, or something more constructive to do? No problems with dogs or kids at the field as long as they behave and get cleaned up after.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The real problem is that it cost .45 to send a stamp and we have the post office making a profit, and giving large contributions to Lance Armstrong.

WHAT IS THAT? why do we let this happen?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: essyou35

The real problem is that it cost .45 to send a stamp and we have the post office making a profit, and giving large contributions to Lance Armstrong.

I guess the post office thinks that if they pay a doper, we will buy more stamps..

Why does the post office need to advertise anyway?

So the AMA sent out a few cards to many. The AMA has done a lot of good for the hobby, and I am proud to be a member.

Frank

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So why send out any membership cards? You could get a e-mail certificate to indicate membership... print it, and allow anyone to check and make sure you were current.

Why waste any of the membership card money? That's some low fruit to pick. And the rate to mail a 1st class letter just went up to $0.46

You could even do that with renewals... and vote on-line.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: JohnShe
If you are an AMA member, you have an AMA Member Card . One card is standard. Why do you need two? If you lose one, you can always make another by PAYING for one. OTOH, Since You have already have one simply copy it both sides, lay them back to back, between two sheets of clear tape, trim it up and you have two. So easy to do. Use a little thought process and you have another proof of membership. Ningun necisitar alternativa.
Two cards? I only get one card. What are you talking about?
Oh Man, JohnShe, You are always good for a laugh. You asked ".... how about some alternative AMA membership proof for us members ..." and I gave you a method to keep an extra card with you without having to ask for it. Now you ask "What are you talking about?" That is funny.
You really should if not already take a look at a political career. Very few of those people have any clue about what they are speaking of. You are well trained in that respect. You would be at the top of the group, in a short time.
Your words border on personal insult, but I won't make a deal of it.

Now, your original rant was about the cost of mailing ONE membership card to each member. I understood your point was to stop mailing cards altogether. Thus saving the cost of 45 cents per member, and as my arithmetic tells me less than 1% of the total income of member dues. That would mean that instead of one card, I would get NOcards. Now that being the case, How do I demonstrate membership in the AMAwith NO cards? What do you suggest?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
warningshot

If you are an AMA member, you have an AMA Member Card . One card is standard. Why do you need two? If you lose one, you can always make another by PAYING for one. OTOH, Since You have already have one simply copy it both sides, lay them back to back, between two sheets of clear tape, trim it up and you have two. So easy to do. Use a little thought process and you have another proof of membership. Ningun necisitar alternativa.
Two cards? I only get one card. What are you talking about?
Oh Man, JohnShe, You are always good for a laugh. You asked ''.... how about some alternative AMA membership proof for us members ...'' and I gave you a method to keep an extra card with you without having to ask for it. Now you ask ''What are you talking about?'' That is funny.
You really should if not already take a look at a political career. Very few of those people have any clue about what they are speaking of. You are well trained in that respect. You would be at the top of the group, in a short time.
Your words border on personal insult, but I won't make a deal of it.

Now, your original rant was about the cost of mailing ONE membership card to each member. I understood your point was to stop mailing cards altogether. Thus saving the cost of 45 cents per member, and as my arithmetic tells me less than 1% of the total income of member dues. That would mean that instead of one card, I would get NO cards. Now that being the case, How do I demonstrate membership in the AMA with NO cards? What do you suggest?

I beleive he said sending an extra card to some members, not mailing one card to all members. Please go back and read what he wrote.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
JohnShe

ORIGINAL: warningshot

I beleive he said sending an extra card to some members, not mailing one card to all members. Please go back and read what he wrote.
Ooops! You have a point there. But, his assumption that everybody got a second card seems to be a little off the beaten track. I was confused because I didn't get one. Did you? Or anybody else? Maybe we should take a poll?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
warningshot

Ooops! [img][/img] You have a point there. But, his assumption that everybody got a second card seems to be a little off the beaten track. I was confused because I didn't get one. Did you? Or anybody else? Maybe we should take a poll?

Please read it again. He did not assume (or say) everyone got a second card. He said if "100000" got a second it would equal $45000.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM
JohnShe

Please read it again. He did not assume (or say) everyone got a second card. He said if "100000" got a second it would equal $45000.
It ia a baseless assumption. He pulled that number from where the sun don't shine. What are the facts?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
ssautter

Just today there was a long time club member with 2 dogs. Kind of Collie like but I have no clue as to what. They were very well behaved and great animals.
We had a lot of flying and shot some left-over fireworks, and the dogs never flinched or pooped on the shelter floor. Real fun day. So enough about dogs.

In yesterday's mail I received a second AMA envelope with my second 2013 membership card along with the common information. Not bad but why? Postage was .45 cents, stated on envelope. If just 100,000 members received such, that amounts to $45,000.00 in Yankee Green, just for postage.

Come on Mr. Mathewson, and member's choice, Mr. Brown, methinks you need not follow the DC crowd and throw our donations away without cause, other than if it comes in you just have to pass it on.

Please respond here and inform me/us why this is happening. As a Life Member I have previously paid the dues that you asked for. In addition my name is above the long list of average donors. I am sacraficing a few beers just to try to help model aviation. If it is an inconvenience for you to accept my donations for aeromodeling, well I can pick up a few more beers rather than cause you undue strife or stress. Hope to hear from you soon.
Shaggy dog story aside .... I'll be happy to accept your extra 2013 membership sticker.

I only received one this year!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM
hairy46

Really they saved money, they sent it out before postage went up a penny!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
hairy46

Well I never got a 2nd card and I am the one that should have with my split personality, hey id like to 2nd that!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: ssautter

Shaggy dog story aside .... I'll be happy to accept your extra 2013 membership sticker.

Too late to qualify. As a lifetime AMA member, I do NOT display yearly membership stickers. They enter file 13 as soon as they leave the envelope.
Good Try!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: essyou35

I realize it took Lance WAYYY too long, BUT ......

at least he did finally have the BALL to admit it

Sorry, I HAD to
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: ssautter

Too late to qualify. As a lifetime AMA member, I do NOT display yearly membership stickers. They enter file 13 as soon as they leave the envelope.
Good Try!
Dang Hoss, I save them... I strategically use them over holes in the covering of models that i want to get rid of sometimes... Makes the typical AMAer type much happier to own them... A win-win for both of us..THey get their sticker adorned model and I get more money....
Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Dang Hoss, I save them... I strategically use them over holes in the covering of models that i want to get rid of sometimes... Makes the typical AMAer type much happier to own them... A win-win for both of us..THey get their sticker adorned model and I get more money....
Neato Idea there LCS. Wish I had thought of that. I am CDing the 17th Annual Frozen Fickle Finger of Fate Fun Fly on Feb 23rd at Jetero RC Field. (www.jetero.com).

There are the usual 4 rounds, each round being 2 tasks. This year my 4th round will be PAINTBALLS. There may well be some holes that need patching.
Yep I may well have a need for a lot of "patches".

WE had a final discussion last night. Send me an email address and I will send you a "Flyer" soon as I get them done this next week.
Before, Awards were a percentage of the cash intake. This year most of the cash will be donated to Dayton, TX Volunteer Fire Department. Club will spring for plaques.

Just in case any reader wants to join in, the event goes like this:

Rnd. 1: Task 1. is to have a 30 second flight period followed by an idle/dead glide to touch down at 60 seconds: points =/- from total 60 seconds
Task 2. Spot landing on first Touchdown. 10, 20, 30 , 40 ft. circles.

Rnd. 2: Task 1. Bomb Drop on above circles.
Task 2. Limbo: 2 minutes to complete limbos, 1 height etc. Different scores as number increases. 1 inverted allowed for max points.

LUNCH Break; Pilots and Workers get free lunch. Typical 'Burgers and 'Dogs.

Rnd. 3. Task 1. Multi-plane (4) Out and Back Race . 15 seconds out from flag drop @ sit-alone idle. Points at 1,2,3, 4.
Task 2. 3 minutes of Balloon Bust in Oval pattern. Several different scoring procedures.

Rnd. 4. Changes every year. This year PAINTBALL. Pump Pistol, 10 balls, 5 passes. Shooter blocked for max 45 degrees each direction. Pilot is downstream.
Time, weather and equipment permitting 2 flights.

Scoring time: Each contestant gets 1 point per person bested. If 10 fliers, #1 gets 9 points down to last place gets 0 points. Each Round gets a Round Winner. Total Overall Winners, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, get according to sum of point totals of the rounds they flew.

NO live DOGS permitted on Field during EVENT Time. AMA Required. Sanctioned Class A under AMA Rule 705 COMPETITION Fun Fly.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM
ssautter

Motion seconded.

No shaggy dogs allowed at the Competition Fun Fly!

Meeting adjourned....

Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
countilaw

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

So why send out any membership cards? You could get a e-mail certificate to indicate membership... print it, and allow anyone to check and make sure you were current.

Why waste any of the membership card money? That's some low fruit to pick. And the rate to mail a 1st class letter just went up to $0.46

Tradition..... I remember when I was just a kid about 8 years old and I got my first AMA card, I was extrmely proud. My grand father took me to Motts Five & Dime and bought a wallet just so I could carry my AMA card in it. It's nice that some things don't change and that some traditions continue. AMA is saving some money. They used to send out a NEW Rule book each year along with a sheet of AMA decals and the Annual membership sticker.

I see too many people *****ing about AMA, that is.... until they need something like insurance coverage. I wonder what would have happened to the hobby if AMA went out of existance 30, 40 or 50 years ago? Would we have flying fields today? Who knows?

I think we should be proud that we have the AMA, and appreciate what the AMA does for us, the hobbyist.

Frank

Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

And those without confusers would receive theirs how?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Jim Thomerson

When my son went in to get his learner's driving permit, they wanted two forms of ID. He used his school ID and his AMA card. That was back when the card was a license. Lady remarked she didn't know you needed a license to fly model airplanes.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

When my son went in to get his learner's driving permit, they wanted two forms of ID. He used his school ID and his AMA card. That was back when the card was a license. Lady remarked she didn't know you needed a license to fly model airplanes.
Yep...a License to fly model airplanes... LOL...

I think it finally hit me...It's the little _____ men-big truck syndrome that perpetuated that particular use of the term "License" on the AMA cards years ago...always thought it weird...it must be that very "compensating" syndrome that perpetuates much of the contention between the "little ______ ,big truck men" and those that just want to play with their models today...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM
littlecrankshaf

Oh, and I now fully realize it is the "big truck guys" that naturally rise to the top in orgs like AMA...and of course they would love nothing more than to have AMA as the sole issuer of a "model airplane license"... I always new there was a certain type that aspired to be at the top...and now I have a PC term for them... "big truck guys"...sounds a lot better than what I once used...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

The AMA Membership Card is still a "license".

Anyone here ever read any of the AMA Membership Manual?
>>>>>>>>
Sanctioned Events starting page 16, 2013 Membership Manual
Page 18

"4. Who May Compete. Only those holding a current model flier’s
license may compete in sanctioned competition as outlined above.
The CD or his/her representative shall examine the sporting license
of each contestant to determine its validity and the contestant’s eligibility to compete.
4.1. A licensed flier is one who holds a current model flier’s sporting
license issued by the AMA"
>>>>>

May be More. Go look for it if you want to know more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.