Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Rezwan Ferdaus of Ashland sentenced to 17 years in terror plot; plotted to blow up Pentagon, Capitol

If U follwoed this last year it was years in the making and the Authoritys provided this guy with the Fake Explosives and Financed the purchace of the model he was going to use ...
The AMA is our best chance of NOT being lumpd in with DRONES.

According to CNN
Between May and this month, Ferdaus also ordered and acquired a $6,500 remote-controlled aircraft, an F-86 Sabre, that he kept in a rented storage facility in Framingham, Massachusetts, that he maintained under a false name, authorities said. He also planned to use other remote-controlled models of military aircraft, authorities said. The models he planned to use are about one-tenth the size of the actual aircraft.
So now " remote-controlled models of military aircraft" are drones that people are panic stricken over?

Unload your r/c gear now, before the ban comes. I'll pay 50 bucks to the first guy that calls with a JR 11X 2.4GHz in new condition for sale.

CJ
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't follow the "mainstream" news very closely, but this is the first time I've heard about this one.
It really would be a slap in the face to see scale, iconic warbirds used like this against us.
It is fashionable and great fun to ridicule "tinfoil hat" stories like this, so I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.
Carry on.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I remember that incident...I also remembered the perpetrator didn't have the intelligence to pour piss out of a boot with the directions on the heel...The government just found some idiot to prove their usefulness... to those dumb enough to believe all the crapola...and there are plenty...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
combatpigg

Aren't you the same guy who just demonstrated that since you were able to fly a line of sight demo inside a football stadium that no possible harm could come to a crowd filled stadium with a drone flown by someone else.?
Are you saying that you MUST have more than a "room temperature" IQ to fly an RC model equipped like a drone to carry out some evil deed...?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Aren't you the same guy who just demonstrated that since you were able to fly a line of sight demo inside a football stadium that no possible harm could come to a crowd filled stadium with a drone flown by someone else.?
No

ORIGINAL: combatpiggAre you saying that you MUST have more than a ''room temperature'' IQ to fly an RC model equipped like a drone to carry out some evil deed...?
Yes, to fly, assemble and afford...

Seems you imagination is working overtime again.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: combatpiggAre you saying that you MUST have more than a ''room temperature'' IQ to fly an RC model equipped like a drone to carry out some evil deed...?
I don't claim to know how clever this guy was, but somehow you do.
It's not possible to know how resourceful a single person or a group of people has to be.... to be able to make this "plug & play" stuff .....useful.
Expertize when needed can also be hired or sourced through the equipment vendors themselves.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I have a limited IQ, one of processing speed. Yet, I can still think of ways in which just regular R/C technology can be used against modelers. It's not that anybody can fly a .40 sized plane in a football stadium without incident, quite the contrary. But it wouldn't take much flying skill to get it in there during a packed game anyway (and it did happen once). Nobody was harmed, and nothing came out of it. But it did cause some panic at the time. That was a Slow Stick. Now, imagine something a little bigger and faster...

Combatpigg has some good points.

NS
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM
combatpigg

It doesn't always need to some diabolical, "evil deed doer", either.
Just some over enthusiastic, Joe Blow type guy trying to have more fun than what the AMA says that he should be allowed to have.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM
littlecrankshaf

I don't claim to know how clever this guy was, but somehow you do.
It's not possible to know how resourceful a single person or a group of people has to be.... to be able to make this ''plug & play'' stuff .....useful.
Expertize when needed can also be hired or sourced through the equipment vendors themselves.
Ok... I'll concede your point...he was probably a pretty bright guy...happy now?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

It doesn't always need to some diabolical, ''evil deed doer'', either.
Just some over enthusiastic, Joe Blow type guy trying to have more fun than what the AMA says that he should be allowed to have.
Yea. Wouldn't want to go beyond what AMA says is the right measure for fun...
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 PM
combatpigg

Ok... I'll concede your point...he was probably a pretty bright guy...happy now?
I don't know if I should be happy or not.....
If I somehow accidentally applied "political correctness" pressure to cause this "concession", then I would never want to be accused of doing that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.) Anything other then flying in circuts with a plane like mine should be banned.
How bout those terrible cameras! Should we ban those? Maybe require a license for condomuse. Ration ground beef,its bad for you. No maybe ban it completely. Let's not forget those large soda's.We shouldstop all DUI's by banning alcohol. Wait didwe not try that before? How did that work out? Now that we banned everything you didn't care about because you didn't usethem, then we should ban tattoo's, cause its bad for you. Motorcycles, because they are dangerous. Cars because they use too much gas. Hamburgers because they are bad for you. On and On an On and On.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

OH! My God. next they'll want to Ban Sex  ... No Matter most of us are too Old to care anyway ... Hey Martha where's them Little Blue Pills at?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

2.) Anything other then flying in circuts with a plane like mine should be banned.
How bout those terrible cameras! Should we ban those? Maybe require a license for condom use. Ration ground beef, its bad for you. No maybe ban it completely. Let's not forget those large soda's. We should stop all DUI's by banning alcohol. Wait did we not try that before? How did that work out? Now that we banned everything you didn't care about because you didn't use them, then we should ban tattoo's, cause its bad for you. Motorcycles, because they are dangerous. Cars because they use too much gas. Hamburgers because they are bad for you. On and On an On and On.
A steady diet of Soylent Green will be the ultimate answer...LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How bout those terrible cameras! Should we ban those? Maybe require a license for condom use. Ration ground beef, its bad for you. No maybe ban it completely. Let's not forget those large soda's. We should stop all DUI's by banning alcohol. Wait did we not try that before? How did that work out? Now that we banned everything you didn't care about because you didn't use them, then we should ban tattoo's, cause its bad for you. Motorcycles, because they are dangerous. Cars because they use too much gas. Hamburgers because they are bad for you. On and On an On and On.
I know two young men personaly that killed two people driving drunk ,one fled overseas and turned himself in 4 years later and one went directly to jail . All four had a future and now they dont . Alot of my carpenter crew when i was a forman either had to take a cab to work ,ride a bicycle or catch a ride by others from loosing the right to drive. Drinking and driving has hurt and killed alot of people ,seeing all of this made me stop drinking 18 years ago even tho i never drank and drove when younger. sorry to get off the drones. joe
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
HoundDog

Looks like Control Line is the answer ... anyone remember how?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: joebahl

How bout those terrible cameras! Should we ban those? Maybe require a license for condomuse. Ration ground beef,its bad for you. No maybe ban it completely. Let's not forget those large soda's.We shouldstop all DUI's by banning alcohol. Wait didwe not try that before? How did that work out? Now that we banned everything you didn't care about because you didn't usethem, then we should ban tattoo's, cause its bad for you. Motorcycles, because they are dangerous. Cars because they use too much gas. Hamburgers because they are bad for you. On and On an On and On.
I know two young men personaly that killed two people driving drunk ,one fled overseas and turned himself in 4 years later and one went directly to jail . All four had a future and now they dont . Alot of my carpenter crew when i was a forman either had to take a cab to work ,ride a bicycle or catch a ride by others from loosing the right to drive. Drinking and driving has hurt and killed alot of people ,seeing all of this made me stop drinking 18 years ago even tho i never drank and drove when younger. joe sorry to get off the drones. joe
28 years Now ... Thank GOD for Coors NA.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

I know two young men personaly that killed two people driving drunk ,one fled overseas and turned himself in 4 years later and one went directly to jail . All four had a future and now they dont . Alot of my carpenter crew when i was a forman either had to take a cab to work ,ride a bicycle or catch a ride by others from loosing the right to drive. Drinking and driving has hurt and killed alot of people ,seeing all of this made me stop drinking 18 years ago even tho i never drank and drove when younger. joe sorry to get off the drones. joe
28 years Now ... Thank GOD for Coors NA.

LOL Iam a proud pepsi drinking tough biker.lmao joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44217.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1853956  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

I know two young men personaly that killed two people driving drunk ,one fled overseas and turned himself in 4 years later and one went directly to jail . All four had a future and now they dont . Alot of my carpenter crew when i was a forman either had to take a cab to work ,ride a bicycle or catch a ride by others from loosing the right to drive. Drinking and driving has hurt and killed alot of people ,seeing all of this made me stop drinking 18 years ago even tho i never drank and drove when younger. sorry to get off the drones. joe

But banning alcohol will not stop DUI's. When they tried it lots of people got killed by stray bullets from the tommy guns. Banning drones will not stop drones either. It is too easy to buy an RC copter or plane, and strap electronics to it to convert it to a drone.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
joebahl

But banning alcohol will not stop DUI's. When they tried it lots of people got killed by stray bullets from the tommy guns. Banning drones will not stop drones either. It is too easy to buy an RC copter or plane, and strap electronics to it to convert it to a drone.
In not one of my posts did ever i say ban them ,i said let them police themselfs in their own little or big non for proffit club. I dont want my dues money to have to protect something that is going to bring a bad light on us. Seperate them from us its two different types of hobbys in my eyes. Then they can fly around with the goggles on take goofy pictures of bridges houses or peek through their neighbors bedroom windows for all i care. joe
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

In not one of my posts did ever i say ban them ,i said let them police themselfs in their own little or big non for proffit club. I dont want my dues money to have to protect something that is going to bring a bad light on us. Seperate them from us its two different types of hobbys in my eyes. Then they can fly around with the goggles on take goofy pictures of bridges houses or peek through their neighbors bedroom windows for all i care. joe
The topic of this thread is the right to fly drones is it not? Also locald and state governments trying to ban them. And the possiblility that RC would be banned with them.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
cj_rumley

I'll give you this, Joe, your attitude reflects AMA tradition that goes back to its beginnings. Every time something new has come along to the hobby, there has been vehement rejection from some segment of the players that perceive it as somehow threatening to their warm and fuzzy status quo.
In days of yore one did not have to be member of AMA to participate in model flying competitions and the models were powered by rubber bands. Then came the reckless scoundrels with gas engines, and the now familiar litany of rejection and cries how they would kill the hobby ensued. the gas engine modelers gained some begrudging acceptance after some strife, but with the condition that they have a special license to be issued by AMA. It's doubtful that 'gas license' did anything to mitigate the 'problem' the gas modelers represented, but it did provide for some revenue stream, and so evolved into rule #1 for enjoying model flying, possession of an AMA membership card. Some still call it a license, and are often corrected for doing so; I see no practical difference...........it's a pay-for-privilege thing no different from what most licenses have degenerated into.

At any rate, nothing new here.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

I'll give you this, Joe, your attitude reflects AMA tradition that goes back to its beginnings. Every time something new has come along to the hobby, there has been vehement rejection from some segment of the players that perceive it as somehow threatening to their warm and fuzzy status quo.
In days of yore one did not have to be member of AMA to participate in model flying competitions and the models were powered by rubber bands. Then came the reckless scoundrels with gas engines, and the now familiar litany of rejection and cries how they would kill the hobby ensued. the gas engine modelers gained some begrudging acceptance after some strife, but with the condition that they have a special license to be issued by AMA. It's doubtful that 'gas license' did anything to mitigate the 'problem' the gas modelers represented, but it did provide for some revenue stream, and so evolved into rule #1 for enjoying model flying, possession of an AMA membership card. Some still call it a license, and are often corrected for doing so; I see no practical difference...........it's a pay-for-privilege thing no different from what most licenses have degenerated into.

At any rate, nothing new here.
I was in the AMA when some of you listed was going on but we did not have people trying to blow us up in our own country back then or people trying to conert rc planes to spying machines . Its a long way from the stuff we had to deal with 40 years ago and today. I use to feel safe enough in my house and not even lock my doors at night back then ,now i have a full size dobe protecting my yard and sleep with a 44 in my night stand. Things change but alot are not good. joe
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I remember that incident...I also remembered the perpetrator didn't have the intelligence to pour piss out of a boot with the directions on the heel...The government just found some idiot to prove their usefulness... to those dumb enough to believe all the crapola...and there are plenty...

[8D] Hi Guys ,

I live about 25 miles away from the town of Ashland , Massachusetts , and I'd like to let you all know of the great job the local media did of not lumping ALL of us RC hobbyists in with this guy . They even went as far as interviewing a couple of local flying club members and protrayed us in a most favorable light . To see the proper reaction , blame the wrongdoer rather than the hobby at large , really gave me hope for our hobby's future . I will admit I kinda expected the sensationalist headlines like " Mini terror from the skies ! " Or some such , but they really handled the story respectfully for us .

Also , for a bit of background on the guy that was charged and convicted here , He had been involved in several , escalating events related to militant muslin activities . He made himself a target of the federal investigation , and not the other way around . He wasn't some ignorant innocent led down the wrong path by the big bad Govt. like I'm sure some will believe . He made his own bed , and now it's his to lay in ....
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: init4fun

[8D] Hi Guys ,

I live about 25 miles away from the town of Ashland , Massachusetts , and I'd like to let you all know of the great job the local media did of not lumping ALL of us RC hobbyists in with this guy . They even went as far as interviewing a couple of local flying club members and protrayed us in a most favorable light . To see the proper reaction , blame the wrongdoer rather than the hobby at large , really gave me hope for our hobby's future . I will admit I kinda expected the sensationalist headlines like " Mini terror from the skies ! " Or some such , but they really handled the story respectfully for us .

Also , for a bit of background on the guy that was charged and convicted here , He had been involved in several , escalating events related to militant muslin activities . He made himself a target of the federal investigation , and not the other way around . He wasn't some ignorant innocent led down the wrong path by the big bad Govt. like I'm sure some will believe . He made his own bed , and now it's his to lay in ....
As for the the Feds not leading him down the wrong path, Read the Federal Indicement
it goes into great detail they did on getting him to try a differant explosives than Hand Granades and how they Financed the plane/s
Case 1:11-cr-10331-RGS Document 6 Filed 09/29/11 Page 1 of 23
http://www.justice.gov/usao/ma/news/...nt_Ferdaus.pdf

We had just the opposit happen with a local TV Station during our Jet Rally 2 years ago where the young Female Reporter even when it was explained that what he planed was almost an imposibility with an experianced RC much less someone that has never floewn any RC model. Her only question over and over was "How Much Explosevies can U get in one of these planes".
To state my position AGAIN The AMA Comunity Based Orgination is our best chance of not being lumped in with private or comericial sUAV/Drones as the public refers to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.