Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: joebahl

I think the ones that are just out flying with no AMA rules are going to cause problems .
WOW!!! How do you come up with such stuff??? I would've guessed you knew that there have been people flying models ever since models have been flying without AMA... I was wrong... I guess you must feel model aviation will cease real soon, maybe tomorrow, since you now know the truth now.
Awesome, I love it!
there is only two reasons I have AMA
one is to be in a local club, and two I get killer deals at my LHS with it
other than that, AMA really does nothing that I'm aware of for me [:-]
because unless I am at a AMA event I have no coverage
Your Ama coverage (insurance) is good where ever you fly (if you have permission).
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you looked at his alt to the left on his screen you can see it go over 700 ft. I think its one of those lets see who can fly higher and farther away from where they are standing. When i was young and if this was out there who nows i could have been doing the same thing just for fun . joe
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: srt10

I think the ones that are just out flying with no AMA rules are going to cause problems .
WOW!!! How do you come up with such stuff??? I would've guessed you knew that there have been people flying models ever since models have been flying without AMA... I was wrong... I guess you must feel model aviation will cease real soon, maybe tomorrow, since you now know the truth now.
Awesome, I love it!
[/quote

]Not True. U have the Secondary Insurance no mater where U fly ...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

AVwebFlash: Thursday, February 21, 2013

FAA Moves Ahead On Drone Test Sites

The FAA will move forward with plans to establish six test sites for unmanned aerial systems, Administrator Michael Huerta said on Friday. "We expect to learn how unmanned aircraft systems operate in different environments and how they will impact air traffic operations," he said. "The test sites will also inform the agency as we develop standards for certifying unmanned aircraft and determine necessary air traffic requirements." The site selections are expected by the end of September. Last November, Huerta had delayed the test-site selection, citing privacy concerns.

Proposals will be accepted from state and local governments, universities and other public entities to develop the six sites. In selecting the sites, the FAA said it will consider geographic and climatic diversity, infrastructure and research needs, population density and air traffic density. The FAA also said the program will "require ensuring that privacy is appropriately protected." The public is invited to review the proposed privacy policy (PDF) and comment on it. Michael Toscano, president of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, said the announcement is "an important milestone on the path toward unlocking the potential of unmanned aircraft, and creating thousands of American jobs." States across the country are eager to develop a test site, Toscano said, "because they recognize the incredible economic and job creation potential it would bring with it." AVweb's editorial director Paul Bertorelli recently explored the issue of the drone future; click here for his analysis.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Here is a noob thats flying his over 700 ft naaaaaa nothing could go wrong here ! http://vimeo.com/52481958
Where do you get 700feet? I saw only 583feet.
Same observation here...but we all know how knee jerk reactions go...probably seemed like 10,000 feet to some jerks and they'd swear they seen an airbus full of Nuns fly by....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Awesome, I love it!
Your Ama coverage (insurance) is good where ever you fly (if you have permission).
only covered if your at an actual sanctioned AMA event [:-]
everything else you are on your own!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM
cj_rumley

Here is a noob thats flying his over 700 ft naaaaaa nothing could go wrong here ! http://vimeo.com/52481958
Same observation here...but we all know how knee jerk reactions go...probably seemed like 10,000 feet to some jerks and they'd swear they seen an airbus full of Nuns fly by....
What difference does it make from AMA's perspective if it was 583 ft or 700 ft? He wasn't doing anything that would violate AMA rules. This is a privilege that AMA as CBO would sell if FAA acts to codify the 'voluntary' model aircraft Advisory Circular ceiling on altitude to 400' AGL.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

What difference does it make from AMA's perspective if it was 583 ft or 700 ft? He wasn't doing anything that would violate AMA rules. This is a privilege that AMA as CBO would sell if FAA acts to codify the 'voluntary' model aircraft Advisory Circular ceiling on altitude to 400' AGL.
good point...and I don't know if the pilot was even an AMA member...and that matters little too... Just trying to understand how some people look at things... Must be a frightful world for some...just driving down a nice shady avenue must bring immense fear, wondering whether or not a branch is fixing to fall and come through the windshield.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
joebahl

good point...and I don't know if the pilot was even an AMA member...and that matters little too... Just trying to understand how some people look at things... Must be a frightful world for some...just driving down a nice shady avenue must bring immense fear, wondering whether or not a branch is fixing to fall and come through the windshield.
And then there are some of us who are not afraid of anything that swims walks or crawls but we keep a out a eye for things that could happen around us. Some wait till they get there stuff taken away and then say i should have seen that comming .
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
littlecrankshaf

And then there are some of us who are not afraid of anything that swims walks or crawls but we keep a out a eye for things that could happen around us. Some wait till they get there stuff taken away and then say i should have seen that comming .
Joe,

Got a chuckle out of that one...You seem to be a good guy with a sense of humor... I am glad we have guys like you looking out for what could happen...gives guys like me a break LOL
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
joebahl

Joe,

Got a chuckle out of that one...You seem to be a good guy with a sense of humor... I am glad we have guys like you looking out for what could happen...gives guys like me a break LOL
Iam pretty sure you dont let to much get by you. joe
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
joebahl

BTW i see most of the regular faces here but where is the Epoxy kid ? Let me guess he hurt himself testing his home made metal props. joe
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
littlecrankshaf

BTW i see most of the regular faces here but where is the Epoxy kid ? Let me guess he hurt himself testing his home made metal props. joe
Yea, I've been wondering too...I always enjoyed his unique way of making people question themselves...the more they resisted the more foolish they looked...I loved it...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
joebahl

Yea, I've been wondering too...I always enjoyed his unique way of making people question themselves...the more they resisted the more foolish they looked...I loved it...
I come back here once a year or every two years but i thought the kid slept on his keyboard. I think he has found his nitch but it realy does not acomplish a thing but talk.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

What's wrong with this flight except for the altitude question? How high would AMA rules allow him to fly?
As high as you can safely fly, unless it is near an aiport, then it is less than 400 feet. Don't let the naysayers get to you.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

What's wrong with this flight except for the altitude question? How high would AMA rules allow him to fly?
As high as you can safely fly, unless it is near an aiport, then it is less than 400 feet. Don't let the naysayers get to you.

After you hit a full size aircraft its then kinda to late but go for it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
GerKonig

Awesome, I love it!

You are misinformed...

Gerry
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
bradpaul

For those that are worried about drones peaking in your bedroom window here is Al-Qaeda's list of tips to advoid drones.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/9886673/Al-Qaedas-22-tips-for-dodging-drone-attacks-the-list-in-full.html

1. It is possible to know the intention and the mission of the drone by using the Russianmade “sky grabber” device to infiltrate the drone’s waves and the frequencies. The device is available in the market for $2,595 and the one who operates it should be a computer know-how.

2. Using devices that broadcast frequencies or pack of frequencies to disconnect the contacts and confuse the frequencies used to control the drone. The Mujahideen have had successful experiments using the Russian-made “Racal.”

3. Spreading the reflective pieces of glass on a car or on the roof of the building.

4. Placing a group of skilled snipers to hunt the drone, especially the reconnaissance ones because they fly low, about six kilometres or less.

5. Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using the ordinary water-lifting dynamo fitted with a 30-metre copper pole.

6. Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using old equipment and keeping them 24-hour running because of their strong frequencies and it is possible using simple ideas of deception of equipment to attract the electronic waves devices similar to that used by the Yugoslav army when they used the microwave (oven) in attracting and confusing the Nato missiles fitted with electromagnetic searching devices.

7. Using general confusion methods and not to use permanent headquarters.

8. Discovering the presence of a drone through well-placed reconnaissance networks and to warn all the formations to halt any movement in the area.

9. To hide from being directly or indirectly spotted, especially at night.

10. To hide under thick trees because they are the best cover against the planes.

11. To stay in places unlit by the sun such as the shadows of the buildings or the trees.

12. Maintain complete silence of all wireless contacts.

13. Disembark of vehicles and keep away from them especially when being chased or during combat.

14. To deceive the drone by entering places of multiple entrances and exits.

15. Using underground shelters because the missiles fired by these planes are usually of the fragmented anti-personnel and not anti-buildings type.

16. To avoid gathering in open areas and in urgent cases, use building of multiple doors or exits.

17. Forming anti-spies groups to look for spies and agents.

18. Formation of fake gatherings such as using dolls and statutes to be placed outside false ditches to mislead the enemy.

19. When discovering that a drone is after a car, leave the car immediately and everyone should go in different direction because the planes are unable to get after everyone.

20. Using natural barricades like forests and caves when there is an urgent need for training or gathering.

21. In frequently targeted areas, use smoke as cover by burning tires.

22. As for the leaders or those sought after, they should not use communications equipment because the enemy usually keeps a voice tag through which they can identify the speaking person and then locate him.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

For those that are worried about drones peaking in your bedroom window here is Al-Qaeda's list of tips to advoid drones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/9886673/Al-Qaedas-22-tips-for-dodging-drone-attacks-the-list-in-full.html

1. It is possible to know the intention and the mission of the drone by using the Russianmade “sky grabber†device to infiltrate the drone’s waves and the frequencies. The device is available in the market for $2,595 and the one who operates it should be a computer know-how.

2. Using devices that broadcast frequencies or pack of frequencies to disconnect the contacts and confuse the frequencies used to control the drone. The Mujahideen have had successful experiments using the Russian-made “Racal.â€

3. Spreading the reflective pieces of glass on a car or on the roof of the building.

4. Placing a group of skilled snipers to hunt the drone, especially the reconnaissance ones because they fly low, about six kilometres or less.

5. Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using the ordinary water-lifting dynamo fitted with a 30-metre copper pole.

6. Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using old equipment and keeping them 24-hour running because of their strong frequencies and it is possible using simple ideas of deception of equipment to attract the electronic waves devices similar to that used by the Yugoslav army when they used the microwave (oven) in attracting and confusing the Nato missiles fitted with electromagnetic searching devices.

7. Using general confusion methods and not to use permanent headquarters.

8. Discovering the presence of a drone through well-placed reconnaissance networks and to warn all the formations to halt any movement in the area.

9. To hide from being directly or indirectly spotted, especially at night.

10. To hide under thick trees because they are the best cover against the planes.

11. To stay in places unlit by the sun such as the shadows of the buildings or the trees.

12. Maintain complete silence of all wireless contacts.

13. Disembark of vehicles and keep away from them especially when being chased or during combat.

14. To deceive the drone by entering places of multiple entrances and exits.

15. Using underground shelters because the missiles fired by these planes are usually of the fragmented anti-personnel and not anti-buildings type.

16. To avoid gathering in open areas and in urgent cases, use building of multiple doors or exits.

17. Forming anti-spies groups to look for spies and agents.

18. Formation of fake gatherings such as using dolls and statutes to be placed outside false ditches to mislead the enemy.

19. When discovering that a drone is after a car, leave the car immediately and everyone should go in different direction because the planes are unable to get after everyone.

20. Using natural barricades like forests and caves when there is an urgent need for training or gathering.

21. In frequently targeted areas, use smoke as cover by burning tires.

22. As for the leaders or those sought after, they should not use communications equipment because the enemy usually keeps a voice tag through which they can identify the speaking person and then locate him.

Iam pretty good with a 30/30 and a scope ,but thats just the way i roll. The other methods looks like it would take to much time. joe
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I see one of those pictures in my mind of a video shot from a drone that shows the drone looking at the cross hairs on a scope looking back at the drone!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
phlpsfrnk

No, you are not on your own!
Copied from the 2013 membership manual;

Commercial General Liability Coverage
(Effective March 31, 2013)
The AMA Liability Protection applies to bodily injury or property damage
caused by an AMA member. It applies to accidents arising from
the modeling activities of model aircraft, rockets, cars, and boats, in
accordance with the AMA safety code(s).

There isn't any mention of requirements of being at a chartered club or a sanctioned AMA event for the coverage. In fact a scantioned event has extra coverage and a chartered club can buy extra coverage for the landowner but these are seperate from the member coverage.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I see one of those pictures in my mind of a video shot from a drone that shows the drone looking at the cross hairs on a scope looking back at the drone!
With my luck the drone would pull the trigger first. joe
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

With my luck the drone would pull the trigger first. joe
A 'spy drone' flying over a private hunting reserve in NC by some loony animal rights fringe group got shot down. Since a pigeon hunt was underway, I presume a scatter gun was used......don't need no steenkin' scope.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A 'spy drone' flying over a private hunting reserve in NC by some loony animal rights fringe group got shot down. Since a pigeon hunt was underway, I presume a scatter gun was used......don't need no steenkin' scope.
I would love to know what % of those animal rights advocates are strict vegetarians [no eggs]...?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM
joebahl

We have some rich shooters of pigeons here, 1000 a piece for one shot a piece first one to hit it takes it all . If there is a tie ,its another 1000 in the pot till they get a winner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.