Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Has the government shutdown affected your AMA club field?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Has the government shutdown affected your AMA club field?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the government shutdown affected your AMA club field?

Been many stories in the news where the Federal Government has ordered the National Park Service to close all activities on Federal land.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/Lake-...226557661.html
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...a-joke-honest/
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...se-of-Shutdown

Just trying to cause as much pain as possible to the people............................................ .............

So has your club field if it is located on federal land been affected?

What if anything will or can the AMA do to help?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fort Worth Thunderbirds have had a small effect from the Federal shutdown on our leased club field, which is on US Army Corps of engineers land, in Mustang Park, Lake Benbrook, TX.

The park is closed until the government is fully up and running again. We are fortunate to have a good relationship with the Corp and the lake manager and he arranged for us to have access via a padlock that secures the chain across the park access gate that we enter. All club members have keys, so we have to lock, drive through and relock behind us.

The bad news is that our field is semi public and is normally open to all AMA members, even when we are not around. Now, only club members have access until the government gets rebooted.

Some time back, our club was able to negotiate free access to the flying field (and that part of the park only) for all AMA members, be they club members or not.

For the time being, that non club member benefit is gone.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

We have more people flying during the week because there's a lot of contractors around here on furlough
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
We have more people flying during the week because there's a lot of contractors around here on furlough
That is good news, ........ however I heard from a friend that Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY is closed due to the Frderal shutdown.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

here is a second hand report of a field affected from rcg:

" electricrc68
Pump Dem Electrons

Distance From You: 1576 miles

Quote:
"Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
If you have a big open area, the Mig is fun in the wind. I flew mine last Saturday at the club in 5-10 mph winds and it didn't blow it around like I thought it would. That was the first time I flew it in a really big field. It's way more fun when you got room to let it go."

Yeah I was going to go to the club field since the wind *might* have been a little bit less turbulent there (not sure how much more...theres still trees, roads, and power lines right near it) but then I remembered that my club field is closed due to the government shutdown. "
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems here at JeteroRC, Bomber Field, or the AlwaysReadyto Fly Club in Livingston. Those are clubs that I belong to. Jetero owns its land.
Bomber Field has a contract with the owner of their first class facility. ARF club is on private property. That private property owner is one of the most avid RCers in Polk County. NO XbaXa interference.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Hossfly
No problems here at JeteroRC, Bomber Field, or the AlwaysReadyto Fly Club in Livingston. Those are clubs that I belong to. Jetero owns its land.
Bomber Field has a contract with the owner of their first class facility. ARF club is on private property. That private property owner is one of the most avid RCers in Polk County. NO XbaXa interference.
I applaud clubs that have taken actions such as those you belong. Long live Jetero, Bomber Field and the ARC club! How to get more of us to embrace that philosophy is something I have pondered for a long, long time.

BTW I do understand you were very instrumental for getting Jetero in the saddle and for that you have my deepest respect and admiration. We need more guys like you to do similarly and selflessly. You may not here it enough...but Thank You Hoss!