Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA raise the Liability Insurance Limit?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Raise the limit
16.67%
Keep the limit where it is
83.33%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Should AMA raise the Liability Insurance Limit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should AMA raise the Liability Insurance Limit?

Tell AMA to send you out a special form, that allows them to only raise that limit with you, as well as raise your
AMA dues, because once they decide to raise their liability limit, they're most certainly going to raise their membership dues, which in turn is going to cause a lot of members as well as potential members, to just fly rogue.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

I believe you meant ''homeowners is primary''.

Your question in your original post was talking to member’s insurance coverage. The land owner coverage is issued to chartered clubs for their flying site land owners and is separate coverage covered by a separate premium.
Indeed I did thanks for that.

Sorry I was not talking about individual coverage but siteowner, I did not make that clear. If we have 5M first dollar insurance for siteowner, I think that is pretty good.
I would suggest that before anyone else responds to this poll they should visit the AMA Website and look through AMA documents 500A thru 500Q. I think anyone doing so will see that the various forms of coverage available are more than adequate.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the original poster is onto something important here.
What if an r/c jet (or r/c plane) loses signal and proceeds into the path of an airliner? Then we are all up shiltz creek without a paddle !! Bet no one thought of that, huh? The r/c plane/jet gets sucked into the engine of the airliner, causes the engine to shut down, the airliner never makes it to the airport, but crashes into a cruise ship with 5,000 people aboard that is just leaving the docks. The massive fireball erupts across the entire shipyard and causes numerous secondary explosions from nearby fuel tanks that each contain more than a million gallons of fuel. The explosions are so violent that a tsunami is formed that races across the ocean and wipes out the entire coast of Ireland, England, France, and Spain.

Then we have possibly four countries that are angry at us just because we didn't increase our AMA insurance! Who needs that!? Plus, we could never pay a bill for all that damage. Not to mention the price of gas doubling due to that mishap!

We need to up the AMA insurance into the trillions before this happens. If we don't do something now, we may lose our privilege to fly, our flying fields, and our freedom.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

That's a good one airplanes400.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
cj_rumley

My supposition is based on inflation, if these limits have been in place since the late 80s (I don't know if they have) then the money is worth 1/2 now, so we have 1/2 the coverage.

In the late 60's I think the limit was $100,000, so we obviously increased it for some reason. The point is, when do we look at raising it again, or do we think we had too much insurance to begin with and just let inflation whittle it down over time. (and the whittling is going to start accelerating soon).
Your supposition is rational; unfortunately that doesn't apply to the motivation for the limits as they are now.
AMA raised the limits because SFA had higher insurance limits. That's all..........an arms race.
AMA has since killed off SFA through litigation.
Pfffftt....no more reason to raise insurance limits.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

my finger got cut off my ama and my medical insurance{ kaiser} paid it all>> also i have home owners insurance which has a cluse to help cover ill have to ask obama about this dont like him but he wants us all in the poor house
Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
phillip61

In the society we live in, more insurance is always better! If one of these big30 inch props hits somebody, its over for them. Their family will sue for millions, and the current limit will be exceeded in a heartbeat. Lost wages, etc, will be admitted in evidence. By the way, I am not a lawyer or insurance guy, just a concerned modeler. I have been involved in a personal injury lawsuit and they sue for everything! If you have assets, you need a personal umbrella policy as well. They can take everything!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This sport has always had a potential to be deadly, but the trend for bigger models has upped the ante somewhat. I don't see why the AMA can't offer special coverage for those who want to pay for it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

What if an r/c jet (or r/c plane) loses signal and proceeds into the path of an airliner? Then we are all up shiltz creek without a paddle !! Bet no one thought of that, huh? The r/c plane/jet gets sucked into the engine of the airliner, causes the engine to shut down, the airliner never makes it to the airport, but crashes into a cruise ship with 5,000 people aboard that is just leaving the docks. The massive fireball erupts across the entire shipyard and causes numerous secondary explosions from nearby fuel tanks that each contain more than a million gallons of fuel. The explosions are so violent that a tsunami is formed that races across the ocean and wipes out the entire coast of Ireland, England, France, and Spain.

Then we have possibly four countries that are angry at us just because we didn't increase our AMA insurance! Who needs that!? Plus, we could never pay a bill for all that damage. Not to mention the price of gas doubling due to that mishap!

We need to up the AMA insurance into the trillions before this happens. If we don't do something now, we may lose our privilege to fly, our flying fields, and our freedom.
if anything close to what you describe was to happen few if any could afford a policy that would cover such and if someone had such a policy in force I doubt the
ins would pay the claim.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM

That'd make a great movie!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 804

That'd make a great movie!

Look for it on thelifetime network coming to your tv soon
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

My supposition is based on inflation, if these limits have been in place since the late 80s (I don't know if they have) then the money is worth 1/2 now, so we have 1/2 the coverage.

In the late 60's I think the limit was $100,000, so we obviously increased it for some reason. The point is, when do we look at raising it again, or do we think we had too much insurance to begin with and just let inflation whittle it down over time. (and the whittling is going to start accelerating soon).
Your supposition is rational; unfortunately that doesn't apply to the motivation for the limits as they are now.
AMA raised the limits because SFA had higher insurance limits. That's all..........an arms race.
AMA has since killed off SFA through litigation.
Pfffftt....no more reason to raise insurance limits.
Not sure I agree with that rationale either but for the record SFA in a move to intimidate the AMA sued the AMA for millions. The AMA fought back and won. End of story.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10711090

Regards
Frank
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
phlpsfrnk

EDIT and yes I know that homeowners is primary, I am talking siteowner. From these posts I am not sure if we have 300K of siteowner protection or 5M
Clubs usually purchase additional coverage for their flying site and/or for sanctioned events;

“Such coverage is provided by means of an “Additional Insured†Certificate issued under the AMA liability insurance policy. Such certificates are valid so long as the club is chartered and serve to provide $2,500,000 of primary liability insurance coverage to non-AMA persons or organizations (flying site owners, sponsors, governments or organizations).â€

Please note that the above coverage is primary liability insurance and is over and above individual liability coverage. This does not mean that an AMA member has to fly at a chartered club field for his personal liability insurance to be in effect. AMA members are covered wherever they fly.

In the past 12 years the AMA liability payouts for all claims have averaged a total of $420,000/yr. If you were to average that with the number of claims in that 12 year period we don’t even come close to the limits of liability.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
cj_rumley

In the past 12 years the AMA liability payouts for all claims have averaged a total of $420,000/yr. If you were to average that with the number of claims in that 12 year period we don’t even come close to the limits of liability.

Regards
Frank
The average number of liability claims per year is 35, so the average claim paid would be $12,000. That is far from the $250K self insurance reserve (the 'deductible' amount paid by AMA), so clearly we (AMA) pay for most claims rather the insurance company.
In addition to most of the claims or even all in a given year, we pay the liability insurance premium of about $800K/yr. Good deal for the insurance company, $800K/yr in and practically nothing out. Even if they had paid all claims for the last 12 years it would have been $9.6 mil in and $5 mil out.

Reminds me of a definition of "business" from a carnie in an old flick "A man with money meets a man with experience. The man with experience gets the money and the man with the money gets the experience."
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it depends upon the additional insurance premiums for increasing the limits. If it were only an incremental increase in premiums to increase the liability limit to say $5M, then I would consider it. The idea of offering additional coverage to individual members or allowing members to select a desired level of insurance coverage and pay a corresponding membership due is interesting. For example, perhaps the AMA could offer three levels of insurance, say $1M, $2.5M and $5M and members could choose their level of coverage. The AMA membership fee would correspond to the level of insurance selected. For example, $48 for $1M of coverage; $58 for 2.5M of coverage and $68 for $5M of coverage. I have no idea what the actual numbers would be, I am just throwing these out there for discussion. This is also a simple example using just the liability limits. The different levels may also provide different levels for the other coverages. This approach would give AMA members some choice in the amount of coverage they would like to have.

-Ed B.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
phlpsfrnk

Regards
Frank
The average number of liability claims per year is 35, so the average claim paid would be $12,000. That is far from the $250K self insurance reserve (the 'deductible' amount paid by AMA), so clearly we (AMA) pay for most claims rather the insurance company.
In addition to most of the claims or even all in a given year, we pay the liability insurance premium of about $800K/yr. Good deal for the insurance company, $800K/yr in and practically nothing out. Even if they had paid all claims for the last 12 years it would have been $9.6 mil in and $5 mil out.

Reminds me of a definition of ''business'' from a carnie in an old flick ''A man with money meets a man with experience. The man with experience gets the money and the man with the money gets the experience.''
Yep, you got it. Glad to see someone else can also do the research. Thank you. I know a few of the claims were large enough that the insurance company made payouts but on average still a good deal for them.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each member has a choice for the amount of coverage they desire. AMA is only secondary coverage. You can increase your homeowners insurance coverage to have the same affect. Or if you don't have homeowner's coverage, you can get additional liability coverage from your Insurance Agent. At your expense.

We don't need to fix something that's not broken.

Frank
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

To me it depends upon the additional insurance premiums for increasing the limits. If it were only an incremental increase in premiums to increase the liability limit to say $5M, then I would consider it. The idea of offering additional coverage to individual members or allowing members to select a desired level of insurance coverage and pay a corresponding membership due is interesting. For example, perhaps the AMA could offer three levels of insurance, say $1M, $2.5M and $5M and members could choose their level of coverage. The AMA membership fee would correspond to the level of insurance selected. For example, $48 for $1M of coverage; $58 for 2.5M of coverage and $68 for $5M of coverage. I have no idea what the actual numbers would be, I am just throwing these out there for discussion. This is also a simple example using just the liability limits. The different levels may also provide different levels for the other coverages. This approach would give AMA members some choice in the amount of coverage they would like to have.

-Ed B.
AMA already did that, Ed. Despite widespread rancor against tiered membership from the rank and file, the Park Flyer Program was created with a lesser limit on liability insurance coverage ($500K IIRC), weight and speed limits, etc. It was and is an abject failure, but AMA HQ can't admit that and cut the losses.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
phlpsfrnk

-Ed B.
Ed B.,
Interesting idea, but as a not for profit organization do we want the AMA to start looking like an insurance company more than it already appears. The purpose of the AMA becoming partially self insured back when was in an effort to keep the insurance costs to a minimum and not have to raise the dues paid by the membership. Offering a multitude of plans would be a management nightmare that would be more suited to a company that was in that business.

With the average claim payouts a fraction of the liability limits why raise those limits?

Regards
Frank
Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
phlpsfrnk

-Ed B.
AMA already did that, Ed. Despite widespread rancor against tiered membership from the rank and file, the Park Flyer Program was created with a lesser limit on liability insurance coverage ($500K IIRC), weight and speed limits, etc. It was and is an abject failure, but AMA HQ can't admit that and cut the losses.
Oops, I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me but I think it also proves my point.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM
K-Bob

Where's KE when you need him, or at least when he would be his most entertaining.

I think I'll put out some bait.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86648.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	1856997  
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Flyfast1

Good points about the park flyer program. I was thinking more of multiple insurance levels for the regular membership, rather than a separate membership class, but see the point. Of course members can always purchase insurance on their own, but sometimes with large organizations the insurance costs for individual can be lower than if they had to purchase insurance on their own, even with the availability of umbrella policies. One final comment is that when it comes to insurance, I am more interested in insuring against the worst case claim amount than the average claim amount. As a simple example, if there are one thousand claims and 999 of the claims are for $1000 and one of the claims is for $10,000,000, the average claim amount is a mere $10,999 ((999 * 1000 + 10,000,000)/1000), but the worst case claim is $10,000,000. The 999 claims are no problem, but the one claim for $10,000,000 is significant. These numbers are somewhat exaggerated on purpose to make the point that I think it is worthwhile to think about what the worst case claim amount might be. There may be a large number of minor accidents with small payouts that bring down the average.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

-Ed B.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

This sport has always had a potential to be deadly, but the trend for bigger models has upped the ante somewhat. I don't see why the AMA can't offer special coverage for those who want to pay for it.

You would think that, but there has never been a fatality with a very large R/C model here in the US out of the 6-7 or so on record since the beginning of R/C. Most were .60 size models, in general. The only fatality in a good number of years here in the US was that .30 size heli accident in Houston some time ago.

Worldwide, there was that large Pitts in Europe that killed two spectators, and a large R/C aerotow tug that hit a Grob 109 a number of years back, in flight, and caused two fatalities on board the Grob. Both of these were several years back.

About the only way large models can really be considered more dangerous is that they might hit more than one person at a time. Still, in 36 years of giant scale flying, since 1976 or 1977 when Chuck Cunningham held the first large scale event, there have been no fatalities with that type of r/c modeling here in the US.

I voted no...I think the insurance levels are appropriate for the membership.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting read. My $1M personal liability policy cost $170/year IIRC and I'm sure we'd all balk if our dues approached this level! Sound like our policies afford enough protection.

John C
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: John C

Interesting read. My $1M personal liability policy cost $170/year IIRC and I'm sure we'd all balk if our dues approached this level! Sound like our policies afford enough protection.

John C
Mine (a PUP that is also secondary or 'in excess' of what HO and other liability insurance would pay) costs about the same as yours. Really an apples and oranges comparison though, since it is comprehensive and covers far greater risks to my fiscal welfare than flying a model airplane (which it also covers). The number one risk of incurring liability according to HO providers is owning a dog. Where flying a model airplane ranks, I dunno......it doesn't make the top 20, the extent of a published ranking by the Ins Standards Org.
In the 25+ years of a club I am associated with that has always been at or near quota of 100 members, there has not been a single liability claim. I have personally had liability claims made against me for non-modelling activities, and I expect that is probably true for many other club members.

Anyway, I agree with you regarding enough protection from AMA, but then I don't need personal liability protection from AMA at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.