Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Contest Director Questions

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Contest Director Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contest Director Questions

Hi Everyone,
I am in the middle of doing all my paperwork to make it official and become a CD and an "AMA Good GUY". I have helped run several non-flying and flying events and I think I know the answers to most of the questions, but my question is, where specifically should I go to erify the answers? The Contest rul book only or the AMA safety rules as well?

Here are some xamples of the questions:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/303.pdf

They are mostly true false and are pages 3 and 4

Thought this might be fun a s a group proec and I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Contest Director Questions

What, are you trying to get us to answer the questions for you?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Ummmm...NO, what I was attempting to do here was to start a POSITIVE thread for a change and spark discussio based on some of the questions listed to be a CD. I was also trying to draw attention to the form to become a CD in the hopes others would become interested in the process and fill out their work as well.
Believe me I would not trust any answers that were freely given on this forum.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM
JUGFLIER

At the risk of stinking up your thread, I think it is a good idea, this is something i am interested in.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Ummm.. thanks Jug, I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RTFI then RTFQ An Old military test-taking instructional item!

AMA Web:
Contest Director Application Quiz
The use of common sense in the execution of a sanctioned event is very important. However, the most frequent
cause for problems developing during an event is lack of knowledge by the Contest Director. This may be lack of
knowledge of the Competition Regulations, Membership Manual, Safety Code or event basic procedures
. This short
quiz identifies some areas that are very important, but all too often unknown or improperly done by Contest
Directors. This is an open book quiz. It is strongly suggested that you have a current copy of the Competition
Regulations, National Model Aircraft Safety Code, AMA Membership Manual, and Model Aviation Magazine for
use in taking this quiz.
A grade of 85% (you may miss no more than three questions) or greater is required to pass
this quiz. Answers based on a non-current copy of the Competition Regulations, National Model Aircraft Safety
Code, AMA Membership Manual, and Model Aviation Magazine will be counted as incorrect if the current
document indicates a different answer.

The Comp. regs are available through the Competition Web section. The Safety Code is in the Membership Manual along with Model Aviation magazine which will be the most current. Sanctioning procedures will be more current in Competition Regullations, section I "General" however they are also included in the Membership Manual. There are some Sanction items in the MM that are not found in the CR, which I have complained about long and hard. Of course such complaints are totally ignored as the EC has little knowledge about competition with the exception of C. Bauer and he knows what he needs to know and to _ell with everyone else. The MM is the least current of the suggested shopping manuals.

Beware the lack of proper composition used in many of the questions. Some questions definitely lack proper structure and some do not cover the entire spectrum of the subject. Like in the USAF when I was a Cadet, the test questions were to be answered by choosing the MOST correct answer in the MOST instances. FUN!

You may or may not be interested in this documented fact: As an DVP, I initiated the first CD Training, got it approved by the EC, then I wrote the Exams, and my program had the DVPs doing the initial exam administration. There were 25 multiple choice questions over the Rule Book (Competition Regulations) designed NOT so much to be a knowledge test, but HOW to research information. Most questions were over the General Section of the RB, where the CD really needs to be familiar with, plus event General sections.
As a DVP, I maintained the exam current and kept it going, much to the dismay of DVPs that had to actually perform some work among their constituency

Once I was gone from the EC it was a very short time before the exam became a T/F test and was administered by the Headquarters section. Yep, those DVPs really care about what's happening within their districts.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

Answers are in the competition regulations, membership manual and the safety code.
The test is designed so that you need to "Puruse" each of these documents, therefore, you will have at least some familiarity with them.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I took this quiz a few years ago I remember when I first undertook it thinking that it was a quick 5 minute exercise, but in reality it really does make you read and become aware of the responsibilities that the CD is undertaking when he puts his name on the line. Like one of the first questions which I assumed that all requests and applications went straight thru to the AMA, and that is not necessarily the truth. It really is district oriented , thus the need for the district event coordinator (thats not just a title). If you take the time, which I am sure you will, the answers are easy to find. I personally think the paperwork associated with events are harder to file and keep up with than the CD test...LOL

Like most of things which some of us may not see the need for, the AMA has designed a program which helps to make sure that you become at least familiar with the rules before you accept the responsibility. At the same time they have made it easy to do, by putting the information there for our use. It is sort of like taking an open book test.

And you are right with all the bad threads lately about the AMA it is good to see, hopefully, a positive one start.
Tommy
Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Question #1 t/f all sanction applications are to be mailed DIRECTLY to AMA HQ
answer is FALSE. Answer is contained int he first paragraph of the APPLICATION FOR EVENT SANCTION

Question #2 A minimum of______ days is required to process a sanction application
Answer is 30. Again contained in the first paragraph of the APPLICATION FOR EVENT SANCTION
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
KidEpoxy

so it is more a test of the Applicants ability to find the current regs,
rather than to remember regulation details from years gone by?

Thats a good idea, since regs change
I really like the way thats done.

Hoss-
is there currently a CD Training program to attend/view/read, or just folks figuring out where regs are on their own?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Need Help on question #3 and #5
Question #3 T/F Deviations tot he rules for rulebook events are allowable as long as the contest director announces the changes at the pilot's meeting

I have read the material and it seems that there is no way to deviate from the rules at all, but rather a procedure to change the rulbook through the AMA, so my thought is that this is FALSE....am I right?

Question #5
An event with unrestricted entry to all AMA members that does not contain events listed in the current Competition regulations should be sanctioned as:
A AA AAA AAAA AAAAA C B C-restricted

I know what A through AAAAA is, but am having difficulty with B C and C-restricted as described....HElp?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Page 6 describes the sanctionong of events and the sanctions and the CD quiz asks about Class B, C and C-restricted yet C and C restricted are not described at all in the section discussing sanction definitions in the general rules.

I gotta call HQ on this one.....
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Question #6 A contest with restricted entry to members of a club or organization that includes events form the competition rulebook should be sanctioned as?
Answer: Class B

Question #7 T/F Rules Change proposals may be submitted by an open AMA memberas long as the proposal is co-signes by (2)two other AMA membersone of which must be a contest director.
Answer: False.....Any open member can fill out the proper form and does not need signatures
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's a matter of process of elimination. A through AAAA are in the regulations specifically. The regulations speak of Class B events with enough detail that you can eliminate it as a possiblity.

As I recall, there is absolutely NO definition for Class C AT ALL. ANYWHERE. C-Restricted is a Class C restricted to a group or club, so you're left with Class C as the only possible choice.

BTW, since the test was to see how well you could research the answers yourself, you just FAILED.

What sucks is, I filled out mine, triple-checked all the answers, verified them with other experienced contest directors, and STILL GOT ONE WRONG!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Question #8. The current system to change rules in the competition regulations is based on a ____ year period.
Answer: 2 year
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
SSRCCPREZ

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

It's a matter of process of elimination. A through AAAA are in the regulations specifically. The regulations speak of Class B events with enough detail that you can eliminate it as a possiblity.

As I recall, there is absolutely NO definition for Class C AT ALL. ANYWHERE. C-Restricted is a Class C restricted to a group or club, so you're left with Class C as the only possible choice.

BTW, since the test was to see how well you could research the answers yourself, you just FAILED.

What sucks is, I filled out mine, triple-checked all the answers, verified them with other experienced contest directors, and STILL GOT ONE WRONG!

Hi MAtt,
Actually, I didnt fail because clearly I am reading and eliminating the obvious and YEs you are right there is NO definition for C or C-restricted. This is about learning, so wouldn't you rather I double check my ASSUMPTIONS and make them fact instead of eing left to assume I am right? MAybe I,after this process will not be left with ANY wrong....
Old 09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Question #9 The Maximum take off weight of a model is ____lbs.,with the exception of models flown under Experimental Aircraft rules.
Answer is 55lbs. and is covered under General Rules

Question #10 __________ft. is the maximum altitude you may fly within 3 miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator?
Answer: 400 ft.
Also covered under the general rules
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Question#11 T/F Any AMA member may operate radio control legally on Amateur Band Frequesncies
Answer: FALSE Covered under the general rules under Radio Control

Question #12 For free flight operation,models must be launched at least _______ft. downwind of spectators and automobile parking.
Answer: 100ft Covered under General in section labled Free flight
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
KidEpoxy

Prez-
I think Matt was saying you are failing to look the answers up in the apropriate AMA materials to get Current Official answers

While I would think it a nice chat to ponder if Internet Q&A should be added to the AMA list of sources, it seems they are sticking to just the sources they listed for now. In that respect, you are not following the goal of the quiz, test your ability to Lookup Rules
Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

Need Help on question #3 and #5
Question #3 T/F Deviations tot he rules for rulebook events are allowable as long as the contest director announces the changes at the pilot's meeting

I have read the material and it seems that there is no way to deviate from the rules at all, but rather a procedure to change the rulbook through the AMA, so my thought is that this is FALSE....am I right?
NOPE -- WROONNNGGG! You can deviate from the AMA rules as long as all announcements, publications, sanction application, etc. so state the deviation.
>>>>>
AMA Competition Regulations, General Page 2
Contests advertised to the public and to model aviation
clubs as AMA-approved events must be sanctioned by the
AMA. Potential contestants must be assured that the AMA
Competition Regulations will apply. Because AMA
Sanctions exist to promote national
standards, each Contest Director
shall enforce the AMA Competition
Regulations as written for Class AAAAAA
competitions unless
overriding concerns about safety, adverse weather,
dangerous terrain, or other serious issues dictate otherwise.
Proposed deviations from the AMA rules must be detailed
as part of the pre-contest sanction request. Such changes
will be reviewed by the Technical Director for, 1) possible
safety or procedural concern, 2) determination of whether
the deviations will be allowed, and 3) which sanction
status, ‘A” or “C” will be assigned. IF additional guidance
is needed or in the case of an appeal, the Contest Board
Coordinator and the Contest Board Chairman for the
event(s) in question will be included in the decision
process. The details for AMA sanctioned contests to be
conducted with rules deviations must be announced in
advance (e.g. by advertisement in Model Aviation; club
newsletter; flyers ;etc) and, if possible, by notice directed to
clubs (e.g., by the Internet; FAX; etc). The intent should be
to inform as many potential contestants as possible before
travel, especially out-of-towners. Rules deviations either
announced in advance of contests or by necessity first
announced just prior to the competitions due to immediate
concerns, must not be arbitrary, involve personal bias, or
unnecessarily violate the competitive tone and historical
integrity of any event. AMA CDs should recognize that
modelers are willing to deal with reasonable hardships in
order to compete under long-accepted traditional rules.
Therefore, the consensus opinion of a majority of
contestants involved should be considered regarding rules
deviations announced on site.
Cont. below.

NOTE: As a CD since 1963, and a couple years as a NATs worker and Assist. Category Director, let me inject some help here.
No problem with pre-advertising a deviation, however if you need, or contestants are asking for a change, then get a 100% vote for making the change. if YOU as CD allow a change with even just ONE not wanting a non-advertised change, then YOU ar discriminating against that one who is prepared to fly the published rule. I WILL NOT DO THAT.
You can take your chances but also be well aware of the PROTEST PROCEDURES. You will need them. I got one CD thrown out of a lucrative WELL PAID 2 weeks each year CDing a certain military sponsored contest. In addition I have lost as many protests as I have won. I have not had a protest in the last 34 years of CDing.

CONTINUED:
In order to effectively oversee conduct of an event, the CD
is granted specific authority relating to organization, rules,
and safety. In addition, the CD at an AMA sanctioned event
has the authority to perform safety inspections of any
equipment and to prevent any participant from using
equipment which, in the CD’s opinion, is deemed unsafe.
Furthermore, the CD shall have irrevocable authority to
disqualify or prevent from flying any participant whose
ability is, in the CD’s opinion, impaired by the use of
alcohol or drugs.

and More!

Question #5
An event with unrestricted entry to all AMA members that does not contain events listed in the current Competition regulations should be sanctioned as:
A AA AAA AAAA AAAAA C B C-restricted

I know what A through AAAAA is, but am having difficulty with B C and C-restricted as described....HElp?
"B" contest in Comp. Rules on page 7 left column. Also in MM.

C and CR are poorly explained in the Sanctioning Procedures as stated in the Membership Manual. I told you in my FIRST post there were differences. Another EC error in the overseeing of AMA mismanagement however they have for several years ignored their contribution of hiding the important stuff.

Also the decision to quit publishing Rule Books, except for you computer nerds, contributes big time to keeping the troops all flocked up like sheep!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:50 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Thanks!!! O.k. I am understanding the rules now. See this is very helpful, I like this type of knowledge sharing.

Question #13 T/F For control line control systems pull tests are not required for sport flying
umm... the only thing I find for this is under general section control line that states "I will subject my complete system to an inspection and pull test prior to fl;ying"
So I am going to say TRUE

Question #14 T/F AMA members may operate gas turbine powerd aircraft as long as two ope members agree that the member is qualified to do so.
Answer:FALSE!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!!! O.k. I am understanding the rules now. See this is very helpful, I like this type of knowledge sharing.

Question #13 T/F For control line control systems pull tests are not required for sport flying
umm... the only thing I find for this is under general section control line that states "I will subject my complete system to an inspection and pull test prior to fl;ying"
See my interpretation of this one would ne FALSE, since the rules say before you fly, does not specify which type, I will inspect my system and perform the pull test. Would I be wrong if I interpreted the question this way?
Tommy
Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Hossfly

Question#11 T/F Any AMA member may operate radio control legally on Amateur Band Frequesncies
Answer: FALSE Covered under the general rules under Radio Control

Question #12 For free flight operation,models must be launched at least _______ft. downwind of spectators and automobile parking.
Answer: 100ft Covered under General in section labled Free flight

Both items are also covered in the Safety Code. RC # 5 and FF# 1.

As a CD remember that certain disciplines/events, listed at the bottom of the SC, have Safety Code extensions in their respective event rules.

Matt Kirsh:
WRONG: Membership Manual Sanctioning procedures. You guys really need to STUDY.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM
SSRCCPREZ

ORIGINAL: DocYates

See my interpretation of this one would ne FALSE, since the rules say before you fly, does not specify which type, I will inspect my system and perform the pull test. Would I be wrong if I interpreted the question this way?
Tommy

See now this was what I was thinking it says "subject my complete system" SO then my brain startes asking subject to whom and when.....
can anyone shed light on this?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Hossfly

Again I suggest you STUDY ALL the available information and in this case refer to AMA Safety Code Control Line #1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.