Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here Come The Feds

Fox news just reported that an airline pilot reported a drone in the approach at JFK. Pilot reported at 5 miles out and 1400 feet in the approach. Pilot described the drone as black with 4 heli rotors on the corners. What kind of idiot would do this with the feds already looking cross eyed at us already.
    AMA427952
    Freddy Schneider
    I still fly fans and now a Shocker too
    Just in, my new Jet Central VT-100 Rabbit!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Here Come The Feds

ORIGINAL: junkjet

Fox news just reported that an airline pilot reported a drone in the approach at JFK. Pilot reported at 5 miles out and 1400 feet in the approach. Pilot described the drone as black with 4 heli rotors on the corners. What kind of idiot would do this with the feds already looking cross eyed at us already.
    How many kinds of idiots are there? Just drop it in a dufus idiot category and go with it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FYI, here is a link to that story.

The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: junkjet

Stupid irresponsible people doing stupid and irresponsible things.

Regards
    Frank
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

more articles...and some questions
    How much blue sky is required? 4-5 miles from manned aircraft ok? 1100ft? AMA has some pretty well spelled out definitions/guidelines/recommendations/suggestions. Based on the information I have read to this point, there is nothing wrong here, except for a foreign flagged carrier saw something and now the FAA is investigating. Can you see a meter stick from 4 miles away?

No other pilots saw the drone? Must have been a slow day at JFK, especially at 1330EST!
    Urge Congress to keep common sense in the skies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: corch

Β*
    Β*
    How much blue sky is required? 4-5 miles from manned aircraft ok? Β*1100ft? Β*AMA has some pretty well spelled out definitions/guidelines/recommendations/suggestions. Β*Based on the information I have read to this point, there is nothing wrong here, except for a foreign flagged carrier saw something and now the FAA is investigating. Β*Can you see a meter stick from 4 miles away?

No other pilots saw the drone? Β*Must have been a slow day at JFK, especially at 1330EST!
    Β*
    Β*
    Pilot stated that the quad was 200 ft from his plane while he was on approach at approximately 1500 ft. That is too close by anyone’s standard.

Regards
    Frank
    It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NEWS REPORTER": "Even if it was a remote-controlled recreational model, FAA guidelines say such objects may only fly to 400 feet high and must alert air traffic control if they are going to fly within three miles of an airport, according to CNN"

"....may only fly to 400 feet..." "must alert air traffic if ".... within 3 miles of an airport...". HA, HA, HA! So there is a rule! Who knows about the rule and who gives a big DUMP if they do know about it, other that the average AMA member who will take the load.

Stupid people doing stupid things is not a commodity in short supply. Just look at the mess we live in. No lack of stupidity at the highest levels. Government thinks we should not have protective equipment simply because it is against the law for someone to break into our homes and kill us and YOU and yours. Bad guys don't mind the law.

Do you think that those making all this drone stuff, being made in some foreign country, but being unloaded here, give a small rodent's posterior about one hitting an aircraft, be it private or commercial? I don't think they do.

As far as AMA is concerned, their efforts and communications are not a drop in a 55 gallon drum. The number of hobbyists that may be playing with such things is unlimited. Even if the FAA should outlaw civil drones, they are still going to happen. Just look at the amount of drugs that people use. Outlawing something will never change people from doing what they want to do.
    Go into a major shopping Center/complex, you will find a department loaded with all kinds of RC Helicopters. There starts the possibilities. From a helicopter to an outright drone is nothing much for a couple kids that want to see what they can do in the garage workshop. History fairly recently proved that fact when all the major corporations said that no one would ever want a personal computer. Look at what you are now reading from. [:-]

I have absolutely NO IDEA how such should or could be controlled. I have no desire for government to, in any way, stifle personal development of the drone, yet I can well foresee an item so able to create mass problems for our commercial civil air traffic resulting government could and will levy on the hobbyists mass restrictions. Hobbyists can suffer the rules while government beats their own chests as they shout how well they stopped that problem up front. Government probably will never bother the industrilists from making these toy drones simply because the industrilists provide those good "tips" that allow government to keep the nightly parties going. Someone has to pay for the booze, friends, big trips that government does. It could well be YOU!
    As P.J. O'Rourke wrote in "Parliament of Whxxes" he stated that he went to Washington to see how Government worked, but he only learned that it doesn't. [:@]
    We are the least number to complain. 'Nuff said.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Latest buzz is that it was a government owned drone. Want to make a bet it is a lot larger than 3 feet and was a lot further out than 200 feet? I just don't see how the pilot can be certain without identifying the exact model of drone.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well....If it was some kind of "I don't give a hoot about no stinking regs or anyone else" type flying the drone I'm sure he'll post a video of the incoming airliner on Utube pretty soon for the bragging rights, hopefully followed by a visit from the guys in the black Suburbans.

I can dream can't I?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That pilot must have good eyes... i can't even imagine spotting one well enough to count the rotors while landing a plane.. Not saying HE DIDN"T but I doubt I could have !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: corch

How much blue sky is required? 4-5 miles from manned aircraft ok? 1100ft? AMA has some pretty well spelled out definitions/guidelines/recommendations/suggestions. Based on the information I have read to this point, there is nothing wrong here, except for a foreign flagged carrier saw something and now the FAA is investigating. Can you see a meter stick from 4 miles away?

No other pilots saw the drone? Must have been a slow day at JFK, especially at 1330EST!
    Pilot stated that the quad was 200 ft from his plane while he was on approach at approximately 1500 ft. That is too close by anyone’s standard.

Regards
    Frank
    Frank I agree. was that in the audio? I haven't had the chance to listen yet...

Or perhaps we are witnessing the "blooming" of the story since I first read it this morning.

Urge Congress to keep common sense in the skies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What I find amazing is that a lot of the topics here, as well as other forums, are very much like the media. A lot of non factual, innuendo's, bogus assumption's, and many time's outright lies. And for what, why..............
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ira d

How many times have you read on this and other forums about guys taking up a HZ Super Cub over 1500 feet just to push the limit for their petFPV project. Well, now we are seeing the consequences. Seems like every time someone gets warned about stuff like this, everyone comes out of the closet and tells the warner to shut up. Well, now it's real.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, now we are seeing the consequences? We are? Talk about the sky falling. No consequences yet, just a report and investigation.

That's all it takes in this day and age. A report and investigation. Our rights are being attacked from all sides, what makes this any different? It is indifference to "a report and investigation" that makes those two things consequences. Those two things lead to more consequences and then more and more. Look what Oregon is proposing. Banning drones altogether. Are those consequences enough for you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone think it could have been a fly-away?
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A fly away while hovering?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Where do you get that it was hovering?
    Freedom Isn\'\'t Free
    USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
    Tiger Club #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warningshot

It simply has to be...hovering is the cardinal sin of model aviators LOL
    It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warningshot

The air line pilot said it was hovering 200 feet away and it was 3 feet in span.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He said it was hovering? He was traveling at or about 175 MPH so unless the 'object' was also traveling the same or near the same speed as the airliner........
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

He said it was hovering? He was traveling at or about 175 MPH so unless the 'object' was also traveling the same or near the same speed as the airliner........
    In an article with quotes from air traffic it was said that the craft was hovering 200 feet from the aircraft, and was 3 feet in span. I suspect the pilot would know it is not hovering if it is keeping up with his plane. However I suspect he would not be able to tell a hover from slow flight, and that there could be substantial error on size and distance.Quads are not known to fly fast so a fly away never entered my mind.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe a fly-away with the system going into fail-safe????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And then there is this.
    http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...d=381942&page=

About military drones operating from a civilian airport.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast