Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Contest Director and problem flyer

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Contest Director and problem flyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK..... to be specific the AMA does not use the term "flight line" the AMA term is "safety line" and "the AMA suggestion" for a site with an established runway it is the edge of the runway and extends 1000' +250' (Safety Zone) from both ends of the runway.

B. RADIO CONTROL (RC)
1. All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
2. A successful radio equipment ground-range check in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations will be completed before the first flight of a new or
repaired model aircraft.
3. At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place. (AMA Document #706.)
(a) Only personnel associated with flying the model aircraft are allowed at or in front of the safety line.
(b) At air shows or demonstrations, a straight safety line must be established.
(c) An area away from the safety line must be maintained for spectators.
(d) Intentional flying behind the safety line is prohibited.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bradpaul;11694403]OK..... to be specific the AMA does not use the term "flight line" the AMA term is "safety line" and "the AMA suggestion" for a site with an established runway it is the edge of the runway and extends 1000' +250' (Safety Zone) from both ends of the runway.

Oh Shucks Bradpaul, for some time now, I have been thinking that you finally got things right. You really disappoint me again!!

Go on down to item #6 in S.C. RC. They overlooked one and used the term "flightline" as I quoted up above some days ago. Ya gotta' read it all, Daddy0O!
These AMA folks really strive to screw us over. Heck, just look at that January issue of MA. There they, AMA and Horizon, again trying to kick the bearded kid off his skate Board with those quadcopters, trying to hit him amidships!!!

As some do say, "Never say "NEVER!"
Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 PM
bradpaul

you got me there Hoss........ I guess the AMA is consistently inconsistent !
Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks LittleCrankShaf.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Ok, I still have not seen a link to the video. I think the issue was the CD got angry like he wrote. A good CD will not get angry and will respected by the flyer when you approach him in kindness and ask him not to perform X

When a CD approach a flyer with anger he will see anger back and at that point of time it's a complete wash. The CD could right then killed the enjoyment of the hobby we all love.

So if you can not approach a flyer that you strongly feel you need to correct what they are doing, you need to be calm. So far I have never seen anyone get mad after asking them not to do X.

Crash99
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by crash99
Ok,. A good CD will not get angry and will respected by the flyer when you approach him in kindness and ask him not to perform X

Crash99
In the same manner, a GOOD individual - exercising RC Flight at a place where an AMA CD is in charge - will act and maintain proper discipline where the CD will never have to exercise any form of rigid correction. Those pilots that do not assist those in charge of proper safety discipline deserve anything the CD and his workers can throw at the bad actors.
I spent all my life in a disciplined mode. I don't expect any less from other folks.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Hossfly
In the same manner, a GOOD individual - exercising RC Flight at a place where an AMA CD is in charge - will act and maintain proper discipline where the CD will never have to exercise any form of rigid correction. Those pilots that do not assist those in charge of proper safety discipline deserve anything the CD and his workers can throw at the bad actors.
I spent all my life in a disciplined mode. I don't expect any less from other folks.
Regardless of personal feelings, a CD shouldn't be motivated by anger... Its a job that requires someone that can overcome his emotions and respond to situations in a respectful and professional manner. I submit that if the responsibility and situations encountered as CD can anger you, you are not the right person for the job.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Regardless of personal feelings, a CD shouldn't be motivated by anger... Its a job that requires someone that can overcome his emotions and respond to situations in a respectful and professional manner. I submit that if the responsibility and situations encountered as CD can anger you, you are not the right person for the job.
Oh great......... required PC and anger management training for CD's
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Oh great......... required PC and anger management training for CD's
Very Funny...but I didn't say that.

I've known some really good CDs in my time...They had to be almost be begged to become one...The ones that seem to be the problem more often than not is those that relish being a CD. Just human nature...please control your emotions, don't get mad at me for making an observation and reply with some girly-man quipit...
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM
bradpaul

Very Funny...but I didn't say that.

I've known some really good CDs in my time...They had to be almost be begged to become one...The ones that seem to be the problem more often than not is those that relish being a CD. Just human nature...please control your emotions, don't get mad at me for making an observation and reply with some girly-man quipit...
No...... I just don't need to follow your posting style.

When there is a need to correct unsafe flying at an event, the only thing that matters is that the unsafe activity ceases. Sure is is better if it is handled with diplomacy, but if the unsafe activity stops then the CD has performed his duty.

Last edited by bradpaul; 01-03-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM
TexasAirBoss

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police ? Did they run up to the car screaming at you ? Or did they approach you with a calm and even demeanor and say hello first ?

Tantrums are for babies. Act like a man.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by United_Pilot
Has anyone ever been stopped by the police ? Did they run up to the car screaming at you ? Or did they approach you with a calm and even demeanor and say hello first ?

Don't get me started posting links to police doing what you ask............. of course Rodney King might have an opinion.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Easy boys, lets keep it civil and on topic
Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Don't get me started posting links to police doing what you ask............. of course Rodney King might have an opinion.
Oh my goodness!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Hossfly

LCS, I agree that any CD should be able to correct situations with a smile. However when it gets down to STRIKE 3 with someone that is trying to make a name for himself, well if I am CD he gets the old "Play by the rules - or pack your bags." I have made a number of posts that emphasize such. RCers are not babies. If they just have to act as such in my field, then they shall reap the wild wind they sow. Thankfully there are so few of those kind that just have to display their middle backside that problems seldom happen.
You are invited to attend the Jetero RC Club's (www.jetero.com) 18th Annual Frozen Fickle Finger of Fate Competition Fun Fly this coming Feb. 22nd.
The event consists of 4 rounds, each round having 2 tasks, somewhat envisioned from AMA Competition Rule 705. It is not a beginner's game but they are welcome to try. I will have the "flyers" out this coming weekend. Current AMA membership or join at the meet. You do know that Contest Directors can issue AMA memberships at Sanctioned Events effective immediately. Most have had good weather but last year was horrible weather wise. Tried to get a picture but forum does not allow what I have. Still unable to get to the meat of this new computer thing that I am now using.

Last edited by Hossfly; 01-03-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add words.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM
CafeenMan

My experience throughout life has been that people who really want to be in charge of anything are generally the last people who should be. It's almost always for the wrong reasons. That goes from the PTA to the highest levels of politics and everything in between.

The best leaders never want the job and always have to be begged and coerced into it.

I don't have the temperament to even be a trainer - I have no patience for people who don't follow instructions even though I know it's a lot easier said than done for a beginner. I would never want any position of authority within a club.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM
TexasAirBoss

I believe in knock'en heads and asking questions later ! BTW, who wants to come to my Fun Fly ? The IRONY presented on this website is worth the price of admission . Happy New Years, everybody. Have a great 2014 !
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Hossfly
You are invited to attend the Jetero RC Club's (www.jetero.com) 18th Annual Frozen Fickle Finger of Fate Competition Fun Fly this coming Feb. 22nd.
The event consists of 4 rounds, each round having 2 tasks, somewhat envisioned from AMA Competition Rule 705. It is not a beginner's game but they are welcome to try. I will have the "flyers" out this coming weekend. Current AMA membership or join at the meet. You do know that Contest Directors can issue AMA memberships at Sanctioned Events effective immediately. Most have had good weather but last year was horrible weather wise. Tried to get a picture but forum does not allow what I have. Still unable to get to the meat of this new computer thing that I am now using.
Thanks Hoss. I really appreciate the invite. It just may happen as it would be really cool to hang out with you after all these years and besides I kind of owe some of those guys down there a visit. I'll look on your club website for more info. I usually have obligations on the weekend but with the advance notice things just might line up. Been awhile since I've flown at a fun-fly competition as the last few here wouldn't allow 3D planes...and it seems any plane I had fit the criteria...whatever that was...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police ?
YES.

Did they run up to the car screaming at you ?
YES, I have experienced the rath of an angry cop, several times in my life.

Or did they approach you with a calm and even demeanor and say hello first ?
Not always. "Do you know what you did?", "License & Registration, NOW!", "Do you know how fast you were going?" have all been opening lines in my time.

Maybe so. And then there are those times to be a man about things. But then most people cry they know their civil rights....
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have almost never seen a CD loose their cool. In one or two rare instances, perhaps. One or two other times, I have seen a problem flyer argue for an extended amount of time with a CD until the CD lost some of his cool.

I have only been to two events ever where the CD was unpleasant and annoying. They did not lose their cool, but had other traits that made me choose to avoid the event in the future.

Before I would ever try and convict the CD in the original post for getting a little angry, I would need to know how unpleasant the problem flyer was.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 AM
TexasAirBoss

Originally Posted by NeroZero
I believe in knock'en heads and asking questions later ! BTW, who wants to come to my Fun Fly ? The IRONY presented on this website is worth the price of admission . Happy New Years, everybody. Have a great 2014 !
+1

That's too Funny !!

Remember, he has more muppets, so he wins, haha !
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 AM
TexasAirBoss

I think I follow you. PM sent. BTW, never let a little guy be the CD !! Little Man Syndrome is REAL !!!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
My experience throughout life has been that people who really want to be in charge of anything are generally the last people who should be. It's almost always for the wrong reasons. That goes from the PTA to the highest levels of politics and everything in between.

The best leaders never want the job and always have to be begged and coerced into it.

I don't have the temperament to even be a trainer - I have no patience for people who don't follow instructions even though I know it's a lot easier said than done for a beginner. I would never want any position of authority within a club.
There is a man that understands himself! Great post!

Funny thing is...with the introspection to the degree you apparently have, you would probably make a better leader than most.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 AM
CafeenMan

When put in leadership positions I didn't fare too well though. Not sure what my problem is.

People tell me all the time that I would be an excellent teacher because of the detail I give while explaining the fundamental reason things are done a certain way. I tend to be a leader when I don't know I'm leading - I'm just taking the lead in getting something accomplished. But that's a single thing, not a position of leadership over people.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
When put in leadership positions I didn't fare too well though. Not sure what my problem is.
Based on your previous post, patience may be your number one problem...if so, you can overcome that...that is part of becoming a good leader...finding what sacrifices are needed on your part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.