Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA's Model Aviation, Oct. 2013 issue

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA's Model Aviation, Oct. 2013 issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Tarasdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI lead time for most magazine content is 5 months, including ads. About the only exception is the "Letters to the Editor" type content, which can be sent to the publisher immediately prior to publication. A set number of column inches is reserved for just that content.

As far as the ad in question goes I can see it both ways. Yes, it could be seen as questionable in light of recent events, but by the time the latest occurred it was far too late for anything to be done about it. My initial thought about the ad itself is that it's a pretty obvious (and cheesy) Photoshop job. Not at all up to the quality of many of the other ads in the issue.

If you are concerned with the message it sends the best option is to tell that to Horizon Hobby, the ones who placed the ad. Ask them to remove it and replace it with one that reflects actions more in line with the safety standard that AMA members believe in.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not dangerous. FEJ is dangerous.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I'll bite....what's FEJ?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by tailskid
OK, I'll bite....what's FEJ?
FEJ - <phej>
More hysteria over in the jets forum about a jet mfg (FEJ) considered so bad as to be unsafe. I think they are using it as a descriptor now in unrelated topics, such as...
"If that idiot fej's his fingers in the prop, I'm gonna laugh my ass off"
"You're so fej"!
"Who fej'd their pants"?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got it.....thanks for clearing that one up.....
Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rest my case:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...-done-now.html
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
JW0311

Does FEJ make quads? No....wait they make skateboards, right? I'm so confused.

James
Old 10-24-2013, 11:40 PM
JW0311

Ok I got it now.....Horizon Hobbies took out an add in Oct's AMA rag showing a little kid, with a beard, jumping over a quadcopter with his skate board and that is unsafe and insensitive, but not really because it was photo shopped. Old AMA guys should never ride skate boards because the AMA does not have it's own Affordable Care Act but, the Bolsheviks do, in case their FEJ skate boards have a catastrophic flutter failure while flying over 4 wheeling jet copters. My Mommy should protect me from "play chicken" with quadcopters and the AMA is in a parallel universe but gets a pass on universal health care. Next months AMA rag will feature Hoverounds jumping over FEJ skate boards and according to Major Tom, with his most impressive pedigree, we are all in for a rude awakening.... Oh, and 804 says I get a pass on not understanding any of this cause I'm over 30... I think I just FEJ'd myself....... Should FEJ be capitalized or no?

James

Last edited by JW0311; 10-24-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JW0311
Ok I got it now.....Horizon Hobbies took out an add in Oct's AMA rag showing a little kid, with a beard, jumping over a quadcopter with his skate board and that is unsafe and insensitive, but not really because it was photo shopped. Old AMA guys should never ride skate boards because the AMA does not have it's own Affordable Care Act but, the Bolsheviks do, in case their FEJ skate boards have a catastrophic flutter failure while flying over 4 wheeling jet copters. My Mommy should protect me from "play chicken" with quadcopters and the AMA is in a parallel universe but gets a pass on universal health care. Next months AMA rag will feature Hoverounds jumping over FEJ skate boards and according to Major Tom, with his most impressive pedigree, we are all in for a rude awakening.... Oh, and 804 says I get a pass on not understanding any of this cause I'm over 30... I think I just FEJ'd myself....... Should FEJ be capitalized or no?

James
James, your mis-use of FEJ has me so upset I may need therapy. The term may have to be strickened from all posts going forward. (BTW, just kidding here - this was for fun as I got a good chuckle out of your post. Sometimes a good laugh is healthy )
Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

James
LOL...I needed that. Great post!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you fellows can make all the funnies you wish. As for me, I study a lot of newbie inputs here in these forums. I spent 42 years in full-scale aviation, from some light-weight to heavy Bombers, transport, military and civil, and supersonic jets. I instructed in USAF for 5 years, plus a couple years of in-house help for combat-ready fliers. I know what the newbie can think, will think, and how he thinks. I have spent over 70 years in powered model airplanes, from HL gliders and power free flight, CL precision aerobatics to Scale, Pattern, combat, pylon racing, and dabbled in many areas. I have provided for a club to have a very nice flying facility, www.jetero.com, I have belonged to clubs from CL to RC, worked at NATS, been an event director at several NATs, CD as CL, FF, and much RC. I have been an active modeler in IL. TX. and GA and flown models in Spain, Morocco, Alaska and a lot of these USA states.
IMO less than 80% of those with less than 2-3 active years of RC flight have any idea of the magnitude of the killing or severe injuring power that they hold in their hands. Some with lots of experience have little concern for Safety precautions. BTW a good friend of mine and an airline pilot went a tad too short on the building-light and ahead of most. One of his pylon racers lost some control items and killed a pylon judge. Friend, AFAIK, has never flown RC since and that was some 15 years ago.
Now play Big Man all you want. Shot can happen. I, myself, had such happen in a Cherokee 140, playing around. The old item of "Now Watch THIS!" turned into a "OH SHOT" and an airplane was in the bushes. We walked out but it was by grace-of-above, not our smarts.

So I will not back down from my Safety Comes First attitude. Best wishes to all of you however displaying a page as such in that issue of AMA's MA was and is, In my learned life time, a very big breach of common sense. These youngsters of today have little background in the real world. I suggest you quit acting such yourselves and assist with keeping our sport-hobby as a first class and safe activity for all ages. End of Story.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Hossfly
All you fellows can make all the funnies you wish. As for me, I study a lot of newbie inputs here in these forums. I spent 42 years in full-scale aviation, from some light-weight to heavy Bombers, transport, military and civil, and supersonic jets. I instructed in USAF for 5 years, plus a couple years of in-house help for combat-ready fliers. I know what the newbie can think, will think, and how he thinks. I have spent over 70 years in powered model airplanes, from HL gliders and power free flight, CL precision aerobatics to Scale, Pattern, combat, pylon racing, and dabbled in many areas. I have provided for a club to have a very nice flying facility, www.jetero.com, I have belonged to clubs from CL to RC, worked at NATS, been an event director at several NATs, CD as CL, FF, and much RC. I have been an active modeler in IL. TX. and GA and flown models in Spain, Morocco, Alaska and a lot of these USA states.
IMO less than 80% of those with less than 2-3 active years of RC flight have any idea of the magnitude of the killing or severe injuring power that they hold in their hands. Some with lots of experience have little concern for Safety precautions. BTW a good friend of mine and an airline pilot went a tad too short on the building-light and ahead of most. One of his pylon racers lost some control items and killed a pylon judge. Friend, AFAIK, has never flown RC since and that was some 15 years ago.
Now play Big Man all you want. Shot can happen. I, myself, had such happen in a Cherokee 140, playing around. The old item of "Now Watch THIS!" turned into a "OH SHOT" and an airplane was in the bushes. We walked out but it was by grace-of-above, not our smarts.

So I will not back down from my Safety Comes First attitude. Best wishes to all of you however displaying a page as such in that issue of AMA's MA was and is, In my learned life time, a very big breach of common sense. These youngsters of today have little background in the real world. I suggest you quit acting such yourselves and assist with keeping our sport-hobby as a first class and safe activity for all ages. End of Story.
Hoss,
I don't think anyone here is taking safety lightly but maybe we should put all this into perspective. AMA's membership is around 150,000 give or take...not even going to consider the many more times that aren't AMA members...OK?
I live in a medium to small size city at a population of around 100,000...It seems virtually every other day there are multiple reports of traffic accident deaths...It seems to me the riskiest thing we do is driving to the flying field...IT seems people tend to blow safety concerns way out of perspective in regards to model aviation...why it is that way needs to be understood better...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 10-25-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 PM
littlecrankshaf

I checked the stats...in 2011 there were 13 traffic related deaths for less than 100,000 pop.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 PM
JW0311

Hossfly, I meant no disrespect to you sir. I am very aware of safety and place it very high on my priority list. This weekend my fire department will be conducting a "live burn". I spent the better part of the evening on the phone making sure that every aspect of safety would be covered. I have worked as an EMT in the local hospital's emergency room and am very aware of what can happen when "here, hold me beer, watch this" happens and I assure you that I am very aware of the " killing power" that an RC powered or non powered aircraft has. My intent was to point out that as humans, we will always push the limits of what is safe. We have the ability to recognize the truth and still reject it. Human behavior is not something that IMO can be regulated and your post was right on the money if it's intent was to point out that the action pictured could lead to harm. I applaud you sir in your efforts to keep us safety minded and to point out the obvious dangers involved with our mutual hobby. As much as these kinds of actions can have a negative impact on the hobby, if in fact this was an actual photo graph and not photo shopped, I would like to point out that a rush to judgment on everything that's seems dangerous in your mind does not or should not constitute a reaction by the powers that be, to silence or refuse to depict such action. As humans, we have always and will always do things that do not make sense. Common sense, as it were, is not common, nor will it ever be. I can't help but think that the knee jerk reaction that some of us have, is not in any way shape or form, out of a concern for safety as much as it is for how these actions will affect our ability to continue to partake in our hobby. Yes! it was a troll post, if you will and yes an argument could be made that it distracted from the point of the original post. I understand that. Along with what I stated above, I also was trying to lighten the mood a bit. I meant no disrespect to any one that posted and would encourage you not to back down on your stance when it comes to safety. Human beings will always be human beings. Neither you nor myself will ever change that. Fact, as I'm sure you are aware. I think there might have been a few few folks that believed placing a few men on the top of a giant rocket and propelling them to the moon was unsafe. I could be wrong. I wish you the best sir.

James
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 PM
JW0311

LCS, I believe that you are correct, in that if you look at it from a statistical point of view, driving to your local field is more dangerous than flying your RC powered or non powered aircraft. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

James
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

LCS, I believe that you are correct, in that if you look at it from a statistical point of view, driving to your local field is more dangerous than flying your RC powered or non powered aircraft. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

James
I think the statistics more than prove that point.

The problem with that example is that it is not comparing apples to apples. We in the US routinely accept the risks associated with driving for the vast convenience that we get from being able to drive. Driving is nearly a necessity in the US.

Flying R/C models is not something that anyone in the US must do on a daily basis to make their life work. It is a hobby, an optional activity. The perceived risk to reward value is different.

The good news is that vanishingly few people are killed or seriously hurt in the pursuit of our hobby. Sensible operating rules as used by most flyers help keep it a safe activity.
I think that being insured to cover our hobby is important for those extremely rare situations where you need it.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:25 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Thomas B

The problem with that example is that it is not comparing apples to apples. We in the US routinely accept the risks associated with driving for the vast convenience that we get from being able to drive. Driving is nearly a necessity in the US.
No matter the point made there will always someone trying to diminish it I guess....

OK then... how 'bout we compare to the other AMA... their mission statement and other proclamations even sounds the same..."The AMA is a member organization with an unparalleled 75-year history of pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of the world's largest and" ... Hmmm...

Not sure what I should compare to... maybe the AKA...the American Knitting Association???

Look, model aviation is fairly unique activity...and is a very safe and a very worthwhile activity...and not just within the AMA fold...it just is...
Not sure why all the incessant scare tactics...but maybe someone else can offer their opinions as to why...

Just for the record, I was at my gun club today and there was quite a bit of activity as there was a shooting match going on... Now mind you we are talking about real ammo and real guns being fired for the fastest times possible and there is never 1/10 the BS that I find from the typical AMAish parables. Why is that??????

That
is exactly what keeps our hobby in the weeds when compared to other activities... Not acknowledging that does not make it any less true. FWIW my gun club has about 2500 members...lots of activity, yet no where near the drama as in most AMA model airplane clubs...I know, starting to sound like a broken record, but WHY IS THAT??????????????

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 10-26-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: needed to add the AMA qualifier for model airplane clubs
Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
No matter the point made there will always someone trying to diminish it I guess....

OK then... how 'bout we compare to the other AMA... their mission statement and other proclamations even sounds the same..."The AMA is a member organization with an unparalleled 75-year history of pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of the world's largest and" ... Hmmm...

Not sure what I should compare to... maybe the AKA...the American Knitting Association???

Look, model aviation is fairly unique activity...and is a very safe and a very worthwhile activity...and not just within the AMA fold...it just is...
Not sure why all the incessant scare tactics...but maybe someone else can offer their opinions as to why...

Just for the record, I was at my gun club today and there was quite a bit of activity as there was a shooting match going on... Now mind you we are talking about real ammo and real guns being fired for the fastest times possible and there is never 1/10 the BS that I find from the typical AMAish parables. Why is that??????

That
is exactly what keeps our hobby in the weeds when compared to other activities... Not acknowledging that does not make it any less true. FWIW my gun club has about 2500 members...lots of activity, yet no where near the drama as in most AMA model airplane clubs...I know, starting to sound like a broken record, but WHY IS THAT??????????????
I had to laugh about you complaining about other people diminishing points being made on here..... Pot calling the kettle black and so forth.

If you make better and more apt comparisons, it will be commensurately harder to diminish them, I think.

Your gun club comparison is quite a bit closer to the mark, I think. Perhaps even closer that you might know..... Lets look at another experience or two along those lines.

Is your club a public one, or a private one? I am guessing public, but I would like to know.

One of my co-workers is more into shooting than I am into R/C and that is saying something. His gun club has their own version of internal politics, like the vast majorities of groups of folks that gather to pursue a common interest. It is a private club and the club has the nerve to require that the club members be members of the NRA..... This gets the club access to significantly cheaper insurance for their gun range and better access to NRA grants for equipment and range improvements.

This club had some controversy years back when they decided to mandate NRA membership. Most joined, some refused to join and quit to shoot elsewhere. Some of them blindly follow the NRA, some have various issues with the way the NRA is run, but appreciate it as a national voice in their favor and for what it does do right rather than condemning it for what it does wrong or does not do. Some think that the NRA is a sham group of rich people that want to focus on gun sports rather than work on their favored and much more personally important issues like the real meaning of the Second Amendment, which they feel is the right to bear arms as a citizen militia.

My coworker and I often compare the politics of the two sports and the essential similarities of the two groups of people.

Just for fun, I googled around and found a number of gun sports club on-line discussions where one could easily take the NRA discussion, swap the acronym AMA for NRA and drop the edited thread into this forum, where it would fit like a glove.... Staunch supporters, thoughtful members who consider the pros and cons of the organization and the fiercly independent who rail at being required to join anything. Some even complain about the NRA giving out very cheap and sometimes mysteriously complimentary memberships in order to swell the ranks and give them the appearance of carrying greater clout, for political reasons.....

I do think the NRA is a little more progressive than the AMA in allowing visitors to easily participate on open days at clubs as a enticement to join. And I think than a group with some millions of members can do more than one with 130-150,000 members.

Sounds line you have access to a fun and well run gun club that knows how to have fun with minimal BS....just like a lot of RC clubs that offer the same thing. Either one is worth supporting and maintaining. I know there are examples of the opposite of both types out there as well.

Last edited by Thomas B; 10-27-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM
bradpaul

Thomas a very accurate and timely post. You bet there are politics within gun clubs....... http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...a-seminole-gun

Sounds just like the complaining here.............................................. .
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying R/C models is not something that anyone in the US must do on a daily basis to make their life work. It is a hobby, an optional activity. The perceived risk to reward value is different.

The good news is that vanishingly few people are killed or seriously hurt in the pursuit of our hobby. Sensible operating rules as used by most flyers help keep it a safe activity.
I think that being insured to cover our hobby is important for those extremely rare situations where you need it.

Why do you have some kind of "need" for comparing AMA with anything or anyone? AMA is what it is and so is NRA. I belong to both. AMA is, in reality, a hobby sport and, in comparison to large organizations, is run by amateurs. NRA is staffed with true professionals and the Boards are also real business learned people.
I was a founder and funding member of the NRA's Second Ammendment Task Force. That has now been rather colored "gone" so I am not into that part, but I am still an endowment member and of course a Life Member and that serves their purpose like $$$. NRA is real stuff and has real heavy hitters, whereas AMA is a kid's club when compared to NRA. Actually there is NO COMPARISON to these two organizations. So LCS, my advice to you is to have a great time with your gun buddies and with aeromodeling. Neither You or I will be able to make any changes in these organizations. You cannot change me nor can I change you. Let's just give it a rest. We both have some really serious problems facing all of us that we should be thinking about. It is getting very scary. If you are not yet doing so, I suggest you subscribe to "NEWSMAX", [email protected]

You will really have some stuff to sink your teeth in.

Last edited by Hossfly; 10-27-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add on!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM
littlecrankshaf

So LCS, my advice to you is to have a great time with your gun buddies and with aeromodeling. Neither You or I will be able to make any changes in these organizations. You cannot change me nor can I change you. Let's just give it a rest. We both have some really serious problems facing all of us that we should be thinking about. It is getting very scary. If you are not yet doing so, I suggest you subscribe to "NEWSMAX", [email protected]

On target and sounds good...spoken like a real gentleman...All the best to you Hoss...
Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 AM
GerKonig

Why do you have some kind of "need" for comparing AMA with anything or anyone? AMA is what it is and so is NRA. I belong to both. AMA is, in reality, a hobby sport and, in comparison to large organizations, is run by amateurs. NRA is staffed with true professionals and the Boards are also real business learned people.
I was a founder and funding member of the NRA's Second Ammendment Task Force. That has now been rather colored "gone" so I am not into that part, but I am still an endowment member and of course a Life Member and that serves their purpose like $$$. NRA is real stuff and has real heavy hitters, whereas AMA is a kid's club when compared to NRA. Actually there is NO COMPARISON to these two organizations. So LCS, my advice to you is to have a great time with your gun buddies and with aeromodeling. Neither You or I will be able to make any changes in these organizations. You cannot change me nor can I change you. Let's just give it a rest. We both have some really serious problems facing all of us that we should be thinking about. It is getting very scary. If you are not yet doing so, I suggest you subscribe to "NEWSMAX", [email protected]

Or, to quote our president "we have bigger fish to fry". I always remember something I run across when I was very young: "pick you fights". In other words focus energy, talent, and the little time we have in something that will bring about the most good for the rest of the people.

Life is short and nobody will live it for you, nor do you get a second run... Well, back to the shop to install some servos in a Bucker Jungmeister's wing...

Gerry
Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 AM
Thomas B

Horrace, any particular reason you quoted me and addressed your remarks to LCS?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

so many people think they know what they are talking about and dont know a thing
Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 AM
littlecrankshaf

Horrace, any particular reason you quoted me and addressed your remarks to LCS?
I'd pretty much decided not to post anymore on this thread but since your words seem an attempt deflect all the while absolving yourself from the turns this thread has taken and realizing Hoss very well may not post and set it straight...

I can only imagine, since I originally only tried to put things into a real point of perspective...not really a comparison per se... and since it was you that turned things toward a comparison study exercise... He gave us both good mention.LOL But as usual...my disclaimer... I could be wrong.

Hopefully I'm done here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.