Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Embracing new technologies

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Embracing new technologies

Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may very well be right. Matter of fact, probably more likely than not in the future. There seems to be a trend today, in that many people think model aviation is a privilege and the degree of privilege depends on how much of it you can afford... We are fast leaving the philosophy of true personal responsibility to degrees of fiscal responsibility. Most insurances are constructed to favor the few at the top at the expense of the ones below the middle.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckk2
*(&^+ The Camel's nose (FAA) is under the tent! In not too much longer, it'll be the whole camel!
Congress tried to do us a favor (With much to do). Recognizing and agreeing to FAA restrictions/rules
will eventually mean paying a license fees to fly a model. Is everyone aware that as far as the FAA is concerned,
a UAV (model airplane in the future?) the pilot will have to have an FAA license? And, meet medical requirements
for that license? (Money, Money, it's all about Money!)
As I understand the FAA will require FAA license for sUAV's flying in navigable airspace. For those flying under 500 feet and possibly 1000 feet in populated areas this will not be required. Looks like they want the AMA to cover that ground.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:51 AM
billrock

I'm headed to AUVSI Orlando May 12-15. Anyone interested in live videos and pictures from the show, follow @billrockus on twitter.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
As I understand the FAA will require FAA license for sUAV's flying in navigable airspace. For those flying under 500 feet and possibly 1000 feet in populated areas this will not be required. Looks like they want the AMA to cover that ground.
History repeats itself-
a hundred years ago, man carrying craft were an amusement for a few
technology advancements quickly showed that was NOT the case.
Laws regulating use of same, followed in short order.
Don't be surprised if new, very exacting regs -LOTS OF EM- impact us
All that is needed is for yet another legal finding by a court being set as precedence.
Our methods of enacting laws has run amoke.
Try and stop it
bet you can't.
You voted the bas-ards in . no one to blame but yourselves.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM
JohnShe

Fascinating, what is your source, I would love to read more about it. There is nothing about this mentioned on the FAA website.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's at least implied in the congressional law passed last year I forget the law right now. 125 something? I believe it requires license to operate in navigable airspace, but nothing about that said for smaller lower flying aircraft. I think this has also been mentioned in some of the sUAV forums.

Just in case there is some confusion, I am refering to pilots license. There may still be a requirement for registration of the aircraft, or perhaps an operators license for commercial operations.

But the final decision on how this all will work, will likely come from the courts.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 PM
JohnShe

It's at least implied in the congressional law passed last year I forget the law right now. 125 something? I believe it requires license to operate in navigable airspace, but nothing about that said for smaller lower flying aircraft. I think this has also been mentioned in some of the sUAV forums.

Just in case there is some confusion, I am refering to pilots license. There may still be a requirement for registration of the aircraft, or perhaps an operators license for commercial operations.

But the final decision on how this all will work, will likely come from the courts.
Hard to say then. I have read the FAA Modernization Act, I think that's what you are referring to, and it requires the FAA to integrate drones into the NAS. It gives them plenty of leeway to decide how. It funds the 6 drone testing and certification programs which are only now getting started. It will take years and a cast of thousands to get a set of workable regulations published and authorized. it's hard to say what will be in them.