Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Embracing new technologies

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Embracing new technologies

Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the refresh 804. I do recall that item and I don't have a clue about what they are thinking. It could mean a lot of things and I think that we are due an expiation from the AMA.

But, with that in mind, I don't thing that "supporting" commercial sUAS use within the hobby is in the best interest of our hobby. However, perhaps an alliance with the drone community can be used to leverage a better deal from the FAA. But, they better be careful 'cause it could blow up in their faces.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM
bradpaul

Hoss and I have often been on different sides of many questions, but on this one I believe we are in agreement. The "fix is in" with an alliance between the Federal Government (FAA) the AMA which will be the only CBO the manufactures who desperately want/need the $$$$$ that FPV/drones/multicopters generate and the insurance/lawyers cabal. Throw in a "Foundation" that the membership will have no control over and we are looking at a very different future for model aviation.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Tier 1? I have no knowledge of this Tier 1 concept, could you fill me in?

As far as I know, the FAA has yet to publish their rules for public comment and I have heard noting of "Tier 1".
Discussed at length in the FAA ARC leading up to the NPRM for sUAS.

Referred to in the link as Group 1 sUAS. Often referred to as Tier instead of Group.

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazon...nsApril109.pdf
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Mike06659

Hey Guys,

If a camera has an HDMI output can I receive the transmitted signal down to my receiver or is there something else the camera must have? The specs of the camera say AV N/A but it has an HDMI output. I'm looking at buying a Gopro clone.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike06659
Hey Guys,

If a camera has an HDMI output can I receive the transmitted signal down to my receiver or is there something else the camera must have? The specs of the camera say AV N/A but it has an HDMI output. I'm looking at buying a Gopro clone.

Thanks,
Mike
First, I don't know "doodley" about cameras, or any electronics. What I am very familiar with are Finances and the large number of people & companies that will steal other folks' (YOURS and MINE) monies and properties while trying to pretend they are your best friend. Just last year and late 2012, I went through a rather trying 6 months with a certain company in Waco TX Trying to steal 450,000.oo + yankee greens of my IRA real estate holdings. They LOST!

Anyway, for all you folks that are into all these computer things and electronic items, how does the relatively new Graupner / SJmz - 24 fit into all this telemetry stuff.
Would it fit into doing what you want to do? It is reportedly a fantastic telemetry system. The transmitter uses Li Pos for transmitter power. To me that is scary.
It is reportedly a 12 Channel System and comes with two Special Receivers all priced at only 500 yankee greens. Sure sounds great. Older receivers will not work with it.

Very Interesting. Spelled out in the Feb. 2014 issue of M0del Airplane News. What do you think?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Thomas B
Discussed at length in the FAA ARC leading up to the NPRM for sUAS.

Referred to in the link as Group 1 sUAS. Often referred to as Tier instead of Group.

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazon...nsApril109.pdf

Thanks for the update, group and tier threw me for a loop. Now I see what you refer to, but it will all come out in the wash eventually. I looks like they are just defining different levels of scale for an early risk assessment approach, but not yet for solutions. The roadmap and plan that the FAA posted more recently do not go into that level of detail.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:43 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

you will need an HDMI to component AV in order to feed the tx something it can send down to your rx.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/
is one place to get some in detail help on doing what you want to try.
look in the FVP section.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Thomas B

Before we draw and quarter the AMA over researching a program to possibly align with and support the light commercial sUAS operators. I am more than willing to wait and see the shape of what they come up with.

i do not see it as automatically heralding the end of the AMA that we are used to.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Thomas B

Accidental double post.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Before we draw and quarter the AMA over researching a program to possibly align with and support the light commercial sUAS operators. I am more than willing to wait and see the shape of what they come up with.

i do not see it as automatically heralding the end of the AMA that we are used to.
Sort of like "we'll have to pass it to see what's in it" Sorry, couldn't resist... LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Sort of like "we'll have to pass it to see what's in it" Sorry, couldn't resist... LOL
Good One LCS. All so true. Some things may taste very well until the "....passing.." shows up a lot of little off-color small squiggly worm-like things.
Seems the way of the day at this time! Very difficult anymore for things to really work out properly before placing them on the market. Heck I just got a recall for the steering on my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.( OK since it out of warranty) One never knows what is hidden in the small print, with much dialogue.

BTW that truck hauled RC airplanes and stuff from Houston area base to Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and back, then to Calgary, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seattle, Denver, home, so if you travel with RC models and 5th wheel, trucks are good for RC Travel.

Last edited by Hossfly; 01-02-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Back to RC
Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 AM
JohnShe

Right, I don't see any malevolent conspiracy here, just fumbling around in the dark. Although, with the glacial pace of the FAA, it will take some time though before all of the answers come out.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM
littlecrankshaf

Right, I don't see any malevolent conspiracy here, just fumbling around in the dark. Although, with the glacial pace of the FAA, it will take some time though before all of the answers come out.
Right...no "malevolent conspiracy"... just good intentions! You won't need any snow tires where that road leads to...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
JohnShe

Right...no "malevolent conspiracy"... just good intentions! You won't need any snow tires where that road leads to...
Misguided maybe but not evil. I use all weather radials. My Michelins have never failed me.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
littlecrankshaf

Misguided maybe but not evil. I use all weather radials. My Michelins have never failed me.
Better check the temp rating on those Michelins...LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM
JohnShe

Better check the temp rating on those Michelins...LOL
Well I guess the current climate change global warming situation could cause trouble, but I doubt that the human race will still exist by the time my 70,0000 mile warranty tires melt or anything. And, I don't do much driving in the Antarctic for cold to be much of a bother.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Thomas B

And where did I say "we'll have to pass it to see what's in it"?...

You do know what the word "shape" means, right?

I predict we will hear plenty about what the AMA is up to on this subject before anything about it comes to pass, if anything does come to pass, which is certainly not a given.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Just like 3D, the Multi Rotor with FPV is something that is not going away. The AMA will have to welcome it with open arms or lose $$$ that they clam they need.

I got a wild hair at the field and pulled my Fatshark teleporter off my quad and placed it on a Sabre 35. I then tried to fly it and I must say placing it on a 3d profile was not the best choice but it was a blast. Yes we buddy box it.

i then allowed a few guys try it. They all had fun trying it. The kicker is no one at all did say I don't like this. They did say words like cool, what a blast and so on. One guy visiting said I'm going to order one of these when I get home. No, FPV is not going away.

For now I will get some more flight time on my quad at the flying field before looking at other places to fly at. Just like 3D, it's not going away. This is the hobby of flying RC.

Crash99
Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
littlecrankshaf

You do know what the word "shape" means, right?
No need to take it personal...Dang...and yes I know what "shape" means...Sort of like the "shape" our health care system is now as compared to how it was... Just a contemporaneous analogy that we can all relate...No need to get defensive...didn't mean to hit a nerve.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

No, the end will come if we get shut down. Another competing organization will likely spring up to just support the hobby side of things.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Uncas
No, the end will come if we get shut down. Another competing organization will likely spring up to just support the hobby side of things.
I don't think we will get shut down as it is plainly obvious AMA is working hard, not only maintain but to expand it's footprint as a quasi government org...if not as an actual government entity as de facto NCBO of all that is sUAS... or maybe a new acronym will come in play... sRPVs...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
JohnShe

I don't think we will get shut down as it is plainly obvious AMA is working hard, not only maintain but to expand it's footprint as a quasi government org...if not as an actual government entity as de facto NCBO of all that is sUAS... or maybe a new acronym will come in play... sRPVs...
Cool, a government of the hobbyists, by the hobbyists, for the hobbyists. I like that...oh wait, we already have one it;s called the AMA.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
littlecrankshaf

Cool, a government of the hobbyists, by the hobbyists, for the hobbyists. I like that...oh wait, we already have one it;s called the AMA.
That's fine if you subscribe to that notion...but as far as I am concerned my allegiance bypasses all and goes directly to our constitution. So if you like little toy airplane government...have all you desire...including my part.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 AM
JohnShe

That's fine if you subscribe to that notion...but as far as I am concerned my allegiance bypasses all and goes directly to our constitution. So if you like little toy airplane government...have all you desire...including my part.
OK LCS, I need to get this straight.

1 - You support the federal government of our great country, is that correct? I am a citizen and I support the efforts of my elected officials to preserve and protect the constitutions. How do you support the government of our country?

2 - You are uninterested tin the AMA and not even a member, is that correct. I am a member and support the efforts of my elected officials to preserve and protect the hobby.

3 - What "part" are you referring to?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

HAHAHAHAA.....little toy airplane government! I loved that one....LCS great stuff

Ok, I think I just cracked a brain cell - now back to not using my brain some more today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.