Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New Club in Atlanta Suburbs

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New Club in Atlanta Suburbs

Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM
odell83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Club in Atlanta Suburbs

I moved to Atlanta recently from Michigan, and have noticed that there aren't that many clubs, especially in the northern suburbs (Alpharetta, Cumming, etc.). GMARC is about 30 minutes to the north, but has a waiting list. This has led me to consider starting a club in the North Fulton/South Forsyth area. Is there anyone on here who would be interested in helping me flesh out this idea? I've only been in the hobby a few years, and have never run a club, so I'm definitely looking for some people to help share the load in terms of time and organization. Anyone with any thoughts or advice on this, please let me know. Thanks.

Brandon
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
L8cruiser

It's too bad your not on the south side. There is about 4 clubs in south metro. Years ago they even used an abandoned runway in Fort Gillem for a club. Atlanta RC club in SE Atlanta had a nice paved runway but would be a long drive for you. Maybe let local hobby stores know what you would like to do . Good Luck
Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is Cobb and Paulding counties. I think there is one in Ball Ground, GA.

Have you checked the AMA site for clubs? Need to check that they have a field, there are some that do not have fields or are limited to control line or free flight.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
There is Cobb and Paulding counties. I think there is one in Ball Ground, GA.

Have you checked the AMA site for clubs? Need to check that they have a field, there are some that do not have fields or are limited to control line or free flight.
The one in Ball Ground, GA is the one the OP was talking about when he mentioned GMARC. I was up there a couple of weeks ago working at the SAE Aero Design East event. The GMA field is not far at all from Cumming...more like 20 minutes. but, there is that waiting list. Pretty nice field, though.

The AMA web site club search function shows eight clubs located within 22 miles of Kennesaw, as a reference point. Does not mean the fields are that close, or that every club has a field, just that the clubs address is that close.

Last edited by Thomas B; 05-03-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

The AMA web site club search function shows eight clubs located within 22 miles of Kennesaw, as a reference point. Does not mean the fields are that close, or that every club has a field, just that the clubs address is that close.
I suspect at least two clubs have no field near him. I believe there is a control line club that does not have a field, and possibly a free flight club that has a field many miles away. Not sure if the Thermal Thumber's are in Kennesaw or elsewhere in Atlanta but they are a free flight club and their outdoor field is a sod farm SW of Atlanta.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

I fly out at GMARC, we are going to lose our field in a year or two.

This Brings up an interesting question... are ama sanctioned fields going to be a thing of the past? It used to be years ago there were always a few "renegade fields" around. They were not desirable due to the fact that some guy in his garage a half mile a way could be working on his rc plane in his garage, turn on his transmitter and shoot you down. Now with 2.4 that is not possible. Anyone can find a nice piece of land, mow a strip and fly responsibly. Hummm.....
Old 05-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Ken Lilja

North Atlanta Soaring Association has a sailplane only AMA field in Duluth.
Ken
Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an office in Atlanta and would be interested in joining to support. would not be there on weekends but would contribute by financial membership. Paved Runway in So Atlanta. Man I need to find that. Prefer paved runways... especially for the P51
Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by pahtreek
I fly out at GMARC, we are going to lose our field in a year or two.

This Brings up an interesting question... are ama sanctioned fields going to be a thing of the past? I........
Given that there have never been AMA sanctioned fields, they will not become a thing of the past: They never existed.

The AMA charters clubs and sanctions events.

With the explosive growth of electric aircraft, there are more independent flying sites than ever. Not hard to find some with RCG locator ap.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by odell83
I moved to Atlanta recently from Michigan, and have noticed that there aren't that many clubs, especially in the northern suburbs (Alpharetta, Cumming, etc.). GMARC is about 30 minutes to the north, but has a waiting list. This has led me to consider starting a club in the North Fulton/South Forsyth area. Is there anyone on here who would be interested in helping me flesh out this idea? I've only been in the hobby a few years, and have never run a club, so I'm definitely looking for some people to help share the load in terms of time and organization. Anyone with any thoughts or advice on this, please let me know. Thanks.

Brandon
I'm a member of GMARC, Did the weekday only membership until there was a spot for the full membership. About a year wait if I remember but that was '05 or so. Your problem is where. North Atlanta is fairly hilly, trees are everywhere and land is expensive.