Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dave M in March Model Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dave M in March Model Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warningshot
Try driving from East Texas to Arizona on I-10 and see how many time you are stoped and asked for your papers.
LOL, how fast?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by JohnShe
LOL, how fast?
Has nothing to do with speed. It is INS trying to do their job. Everyone is stopped and ask for ID..
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Has nothing to do with speed. It is INS trying to do their job. Everyone is stopped and ask for ID..
And when you where asked for your papers your reply for every thing they asked was "Am I being detained?" ?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Yea...a good question to ask when your being detained...LOL I bet their response and justification is along the lines of "if you don't like this shift, make your own roads"... and they would be right! We shouldn't say anything...just be good little sheeple...and if we find something we don't like or think is silly, just buy an island and make your own country.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, I am gonna go out on a limb and disagree with you completely. I believe that living in this country is a privilege. All of the opportunities, necessities and pleasure we enjoy are privileges. There are plenty of places in the word that have none of these. We do have the right, in this country (at least), to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But even these rights are carefully constrained to meet the legal necessities of a functioning society.
A privilege is as you defined below. A right is the freedom to do as you wish for those things not spelled out in the constitution such as the commerce clause which gives the government the right to license the use of aircraft and automobiles. Our model aircraft is not covered under the commerce clause, thus no right for the federal government to license their use, and thus our right to use as we please. Now others have a right to live on their land without disturbance, so this right is limited as local government can take our toy away if we disturb others. So it is a right as anybody can buy a model plane and fly it just about anywhere.

We also have the right of association, so we have a right to form a club and impose rules on the members. This is also not a privilege as anyone can form a club and make up rules for that club.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
A privilege is as you defined below. A right is the freedom to do as you wish for those things not spelled out in the constitution such as the commerce clause which gives the government the right to license the use of aircraft and automobiles. Our model aircraft is not covered under the commerce clause, thus no right for the federal government to license their use, and thus our right to use as we please. Now others have a right to live on their land without disturbance, so this right is limited as local government can take our toy away if we disturb others. So it is a right as anybody can buy a model plane and fly it just about anywhere.

We also have the right of association, so we have a right to form a club and impose rules on the members. This is also not a privilege as anyone can form a club and make up rules for that club.
Well, I got this from Ask.com and it expresses my beliefs exactly:

"A right is a privilege granted by a governing body that is written into law and can be defended or challenged in a court of law. A responsibility is a duty or obligation that is accepted, or put into action."

Our right to fly model airplanes has been put into law as "PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012 - FAA Modernization
and Reform Act of 2012". Our rights are protected and constrained in this law.

You said "anybody can buy a model plane and fly it just about anywhere" , that means, to me, that you recognize that our rights are constrained to fly our model airplanes safely and considerately.

We have the right to form a club, but membership in the club is a privilege.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
JohnShe

That is a shame, I think we have been giving up our rights and privileges in reaction to our fear terrorism.

(RCKEN, please don't delete this response, i am trying to make a point about rights and privileges, this is not a political point.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
littlecrankshaf

That is a shame, I think we have been giving up our rights and privileges in reaction to our fear terrorism.

(RCKEN, please don't delete this response, i am trying to make a point about rights and privileges, this is not a political point.
I hope I can get the same consideration...

My rights aren't granted by any government but are only recognized in our country s constitution and declaration of independence..The rights I have are unalienable and come from a much higher place than ASK.com LOL

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 03-03-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf

My rights aren't granted by any government but are only recognized in our country s constitution and declaration of independence..The rights I have are unalienable and come from a much higher place than ASK.com LOL
Now to bring it home. I have the right to fly model airplanes but that does not give me the privilege to fly it at your club field or on your property.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
JohnShe

Now to bring it home. I have the right to fly model airplanes but that does not give me the privilege to fly it at your club field or on your property.

Right-on Bro! You have to earn that privilege and protect it by paying your dues and following the rules. And if you think any of the rules need improvement, or maybe the dues are too high, then you should become active in the clubs rule making process.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
JohnShe

Perhaps I am being a little too anal, and I don't want to upset RCKen, but... Our constitution describes and authorizes our government to grant us the rights and privileges of flying model airplanes.

Our inalienable rights to fly model airplanes may come from a higher place, but they are protected by the government that is authorized and described by that same constitution that we all revere and respect.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
cj_rumley

Perhaps I am being a little too anal, and I don't want to upset RCKen, but... Our constitution describes and authorizes our government to grant us the rights and privileges of flying model airplanes.

Our inalienable rights to fly model airplanes may come from a higher place, but they are protected by the government that is authorized and described by that same constitution that we all revere and respect.
Pls cite the specific Public Law where the Fed grants citizens the privilege of flying model airplanes.................. or keeping a pet, riding a bicycle, sailing a boat, playing baseball, or taking a walk in the park. I hope you can do it and so end this weird tangent to the thread topic.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:02 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Pls cite the specific Public Law where the Fed grants citizens the privilege of flying model airplanes.................. or keeping a pet, riding a bicycle, sailing a boat, playing baseball, or taking a walk in the park. I hope you can do it and so end this weird tangent to the thread topic.

That is an interesting question, and although it contains a logical fallacy, I will answer the relevant part anyway.

"PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012 - FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012"
Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 PM
littlecrankshaf

This is where we may have a bit of problem reconciling our views. The government can only add/make more restriction...they can't make us more free....
Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
littlecrankshaf

That is an interesting question, and although it contains a logical fallacy, I will answer the relevant part anyway.

"PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012 - FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012"
That Reform act doesn't grant rights...although almost laughable if weren't so sad, it's interpreted by some of the more gullible as limiting the FAA's ability to take more rights away...
Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM
cj_rumley

I've read it. It does not grant any privilege to citizens, but rather orders FAA not to regulate model airplanes operated "within the programming of" a CBO. There is no CBO, so it doesn't affect anyone.
Your model flying is not permitted because no authority told you that you can do it........stop now.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM
littlecrankshaf

I've read it. It does not grant any privilege to citizens, but rather orders FAA not to regulate model airplanes operated "within the programming of" a CBO. There is no CBO, so it doesn't affect anyone.
Your model flying is not permitted because no authority told you that you can do it........stop now.
Now you are killing me!!! Fell out my chair laughing.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:41 PM
fragile

Quote from Dave's Article:
"Today we're surprised if a radio failure ever occurs. If nothing else, it's certainly rare."
Obviously he refers to 2.4GHz radios. This is the prime example of misinformation which AMA does since the introduction of 2.4GHz radio systems.
I think that when it comes to 2.4GHz radio systems, our non-profit public organization with the primary mission to protect and educate should serve the interest of membership not the interest of industry.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:02 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by fragile
Quote from Dave's Article:
"Today we're surprised if a radio failure ever occurs. If nothing else, it's certainly rare."
Obviously he refers to 2.4GHz radios. This is the prime example of misinformation which AMA does since the introduction of 2.4GHz radio systems.
I think that when it comes to 2.4GHz radio systems, our non-profit public organization with the primary mission to protect and educate should serve the interest of membership not the interest of industry.
You may have a great point but I guess I just don't understand. I thought Dave's perspective was pretty darn good...What did I miss? I always thought what was good for the hobby industry, as a whole, was good for all of us. Heck, a RC model aircraft in every home and a public flying site in every city would be a great thing...at least thats how I see things. Seems a worthwhile cause as far as most other activities go.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
JohnShe

i've read it. It does not grant any privilege to citizens, but rather orders faa not to regulate model airplanes operated "within the programming of" a cbo. There is no cbo, so it doesn't affect anyone.
lol!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:27 PM
JohnShe

This is where we may have a bit of problem reconciling our views. The government can only add/make more restriction...they can't make us more free....
When did they stop teaching civics?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM
koastrc

I read the story in MODEL AVIATION. It appears he (Dave) was trying to say or I thought he said was that things are changing and will always change. Things are changing, but staying the same. A lot like these forums. Flying models is fun to some of us. Some other folks don't see it, I think.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Hossfly, I read an article the other day about an FPV pilot who was lamenting that the TV transmitter on his plane went out when it was 4.2 miles away. 4.2 frikking miles away. The cops should have arrested his adz right there for being a public nuisance and creating a hazardous situation.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Hossfly, I read an article the other day about an FPV pilot who was lamenting that the TV transmitter on his plane went out when it was 4.2 miles away. 4.2 frikking miles away. The cops should have arrested his adz right there for being a public nuisance and creating a hazardous situation.
We will always have the clueless among us.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Get a look at this little gem, and its comments: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...es-102754.html

We will have to see what the FAA does by the end of September. I foresee a toothless law. It's a little difficult to catch a drone the size of a barn swallow.

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 03-03-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.