Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dave M in March Model Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dave M in March Model Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the AMA/FAA better get hoppin': http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-new...eir-way-n39201
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Looks like the AMA/FAA better get hoppin': http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-new...eir-way-n39201
That's an FAA problem. The AMA has no reason to be concerned with commercial operations. We are only doing it for the fun of it.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
That's an FAA problem. The AMA has no reason to be concerned with commercial operations. We are only doing it for the fun of it.
Spot on...

Now if we can just resist the temptation of bringing in undue attention to our hobby by laminating over the things stupid people do...I know its so fun for people to say "I told you so" but we should just refrain...
Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a shame, I think we have been giving up our rights and privileges in reaction to our fear terrorism.

(RCKEN, please don't delete this response, i am trying to make a point about rights and privileges, this is not a political point.
I have been in Harlingen and Padre Island (Texas) in December (son's wedding). And other guests mentioned being stopped on the highway. They are looking for illegal immigrants. Personally, I have no objection to that:-) They should stop people all over the state of California then also...

Gerry
Fishing, in our state (PA) is not a right. It is a privilege. You better have your license to show, or you will get fined. To fly RC is a right as long as you own the land (or rent it) and do not mess with your neighbors:-) So, we get together and form a club, and rent land, and then to fly there becomes a privilege...
Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Pls cite the specific Public Law where the Fed grants citizens the privilege of flying model airplanes.................. or keeping a pet, riding a bicycle, sailing a boat, playing baseball, or taking a walk in the park. I hope you can do it and so end this weird tangent to the thread topic.
Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't know if the FAA can do much hopping till lawsuits challanging the FAA's right to regulate drones are settled.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by fragile
Quote from Dave's Article:
"Today we're surprised if a radio failure ever occurs. If nothing else, it's certainly rare."
Obviously he refers to 2.4GHz radios. This is the prime example of misinformation which AMA does since the introduction of 2.4GHz radio systems.
I think that when it comes to 2.4GHz radio systems, our non-profit public organization with the primary mission to protect and educate should serve the interest of membership not the interest of industry.
I think he stated a fact. Even failures of the old 72 Mhz was rare. Despite people claiming otherwise.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Here it comes again. The AMA Haters and Lovers fighting it out on RCU

Will it never END?
<------- that is SHOUTING
Can U here Me now?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Actually I see little argument for or against the AMA HoundDog. Maybe you need to go hollar for pigs or something.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Actually I see little argument for or against the AMA HoundDog. Maybe you need to go hollar for pigs or something.
There they are Sport _Pilot and Hosfly now who else will charm in and ***** ... By Buy BYE BYE
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Austin to Tucson on I-10 for many years, they just wave me through. I have responded to all this modernization by buying more balsa, dope, silk, silkspan and tissue. Last competition OTS CL airplane had a Fox stunt 35 bought in 1977.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

posted by MONGO http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240
The FAA answers some questions.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Most of the myth's are more beliveable than the FAA's response.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Hossfly

I did not get the impression that he was saying the way you have interpreted it Hoss. My own take of Dave's column is that he was giving a brief history of the evolution of technology within our hobby of model aviation. To that end, he was pointing out the natural human reaction to change. That reaction consists of resistance, negotiation, eventual acceptance and ultimately enjoyment. He was then applying that natural human cycle to the introduction of FPV. What is happening is that people who resist, are expressing concern.
Yep, JohnShe, your impression of Dave's article is exactly the impression which he wants all to have. As I wrote, it was a, ".... well written statement...", especially for, IMO, about 98% of the readers.

JohnShe:
Third, commercial application within the hobby can not be allowed. I really am concerned abut the AMA's involvement with the commercial sUAS industry. i think it may be a costly mistake. As far as I am concerned, commercial sUAS belongs to the FAA and they can keep it.
No real argument there, but think about commercial sUAS which does NOT BELONG to FAA, but is or may be regulated by FAA. How better (less expensive) can a commercial organization check development than getting a bunch of folks that are finding any "bugs" and getting response from an organization such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics and a large group of aero-modelers wanting the latest toy thing to show off with? Remember that most of our United States commercial input does NOT now happen within this United States, but in other countries. They don't care about FAA or AMA, just getting their products proven in use, as cheaply as possible, before dumping the stuff on U.S. Military, and commercial industry.

Last edited by Hossfly; 03-31-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: add info.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 AM
bradpaul

Hey Hoss you may want to look into this........ As you and others have noticed there seems to be something going on "under the covers" at AMA regarding commercial use of drones. Yesterday I received an email from Atlanta Hobby (big in the multirotor business) that linked to an event by a group named FLYSAFE.

http://flysafetraining.org/

This is a new venture that is trying to create training and certification for drone aerial photography. Nothing wrong with that and I wish them success.

Now here is where it gets interesting, two of the sponsors are 1. AMA, 2. Rockwell Flight Test Crew.

If you look at the minutes of last July's AMA EC meeting you will find that the founder of FLYSAFE was in attendance at the EC meeting.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecminutes.aspx

Something is going on............................
Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Hossfly

Good Info. there Brad. Thanks MUCH! Unfortunately I take AMA and these business organizations like what happens in my mailbox. Every day I get 2 to 10 letters-sized to large envelopes requesting my $$$ inputs to the political situations in this country. They start with, ".... we need your input..." but wind up only wanting my donations of $$$.
They do not even have the smarts to change the questions from the last (and I suspect the only ) questionnaire sent out, a couple weeks ago. Same for the telephone, like 2-20 a day.
There is a blog on the AMA web-site concerning the AMA and FPV. I cannot get any statement, request, or what to be accepted, nor any answer to any direct question. Whatever I write will bounce back. Probably a hang-over from the old days of the AMA Forum and today's search for the 99%+ agreements from the field to AMA. Had it not been for the work of a recent AMA DVP - you know who - I would not be allowed to fly model airplanes in any AMA event this day. I hated to cower-down but I had to if I wanted to participate in any AMA activity. Without recourse AMA's Pres. EVP, and a DVP can alienate a member from all AMA activity by simply doing so. A Hearing has to be held to oust a member FROM AMA. What is the diff? Now that the specific DVP is out, I really do not get so carried away as I once did. Way too much invested to get too smarty.
Thanks again for the Heads-Up.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Jim Thomerson

Drove from Austin TX to Tucson for the Control Line Vintage Stunt Contest. Passed through the Border Patrol checkpoint twice. Replied, yes we are citizens and were waved on our way.