Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dave M in March Model Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dave M in March Model Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave M in March Model Aviation

Did you read Dave's perspective in the March issue of MA? IMO he made some excellent points. Seemed to speak directly to some of the discussions in the forums... Do you agree with him or disagree?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM
cj_rumley

Hard to not agree that a Luddite mentality on the part of a few shouldn't keep AMA from attempting to stay relevant as modeling changes. From discussions here though, I don't see acceptance of the new technology du jour (FPV) as something AMA has to sell hard. The more tacky issue for AMA to get support for is their venturing into non-modeling operations of similar sUAS. Acceptance of FPV isn't the same as acceptance of our modeling organization getting into the business of supporting non-modeling uses of FPV. That is where AMA management is headed though they skirt around discussion of it, and where they will get the most resistance from members. FWIW, I am party to that resistance.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Hard to not agree that a Luddite mentality on the part of a few shouldn't keep AMA from attempting to stay relevant as modeling changes. From discussions here though, I don't see acceptance of the new technology du jour (FPV) as something AMA has to sell hard. The more tacky issue for AMA to get support for is their venturing into non-modeling operations of similar sUAS. Acceptance of FPV isn't the same as acceptance of our modeling organization getting into the business of supporting non-modeling uses of FPV. That is where AMA management is headed though they skirt around discussion of it, and where they will get the most resistance from members. FWIW, I am party to that resistance.
Dave's article is a very well written statement, aimed for we lower classes, which simply says, "If you disagree with where I am heading, then you can be dropped off the road, but I will let you simple dummies wallow in your own mud while I go to the party and enjoy the big-time with the Elite."
First he recites the history of model aviation which makes one feel very good, then he goes into how the changes were all good and and those that were skeptical were simply dumb-bunnies. Not the first time that such has been said!
Now I am not "smart" about FPV. If I am wrong that FPV takes the model airplane outside the local flying facility (LFF a place that is within the individual pilot's area of vision), then I am against that part of FPV. Anything that sets a stage for more governmental regulations and possibilities of public complaints against my life-style (model airplanes have directed my life since I could read) I am against. As I have posted before, This entire thing is beyond the model aviation hobby-sport and delves into serious industry. Those companies are after AMA to jump in bed with them, and therefore the companies have a lesser expense to try out new items for their business while enjoying the immense $$$ from governmental contracts. Those that are on the industries' side will generally also find holding such position to increase their financial well-being.

Now for AMA members, there is - on page 137 - the information pertaining to the elections for AMA Executive Council Members this year for the following years 2015 etc.
The AMA EC members, Executive Vice President along with the District Vice Presidents for Districts III, VII, and XI. are up for membership voting. You can nominate and vote. Any Open Class AMA member can submit a nomination. Do it!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Hossfly
.. "If you disagree with where I am heading, then you can be dropped off the road, but I will let you simple dummies wallow in your own mud while I go to the party and enjoy the big-time with the Elite."
I did not get the impression that he was saying the way you have interpreted it Hoss. My own take of Dave's column is that he was giving a brief history of the evolution of technology within our hobby of model aviation. To that end, he was pointing out the natural human reaction to change. That reaction consists of resistance, negotiation, eventual acceptance and ultimately enjoyment. He was then applying that natural human cycle to the introduction of FPV. What is happening is that people who resist, are expressing concern.

First, safety, we must as a community of hobbyist ensure that the application of the technology is done in a manner that protects us from unnecessary risk. There are lots of safety concerns. We worry about overflying the boundaries. Some fields are too small for any kind of long range flying. The technology itself has limits and these must be understood and managed. The pilots must be qualified to operate safely and responsibly using this technology.

Second, it must be a hobby, if it isn't fun, don't do it. I personally have no plans to fly FPV because it is too expensive for me and I just don't see it as that much fun.

Third, commercial application within the hobby can not be allowed. I really am concerned abut the AMA's involvement with the commercial sUAS industry. i think it may be a costly mistake. As far as I am concerned, commercial sUAS belongs to the FAA and they can keep it.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 AM
NorfolkSouthern

It does not matter to me, if FPV goes beyond the line of sight. People need to remember, that RC flying, even if it is a mere model airplane, is a privilege. It is NOT a right guaranteed by the Constitution, any more than flying a full-scale aircraft or even driving a car. Technology now gives the capability of going beyond a field's boundaries. It is what it is, and we will all one day have to live with new regulations accordingly. It's a sad truth, that some of us won't get to fly anymore. That's OK with me, because I have plenty of other hobbies and things to do.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
People need to remember, that RC flying, even if it is a mere model airplane, is a privilege. It is NOT a right guaranteed by the Constitution, any more than flying a full-scale aircraft or even driving a car. .
Where is the DMA (department of model airplanes)? I'd like to get my permit or license.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Hossfly

It does not matter to me, if FPV goes beyond the line of sight. People need to remember, that RC flying, even if it is a mere model airplane, is a privilege. It is NOT a right guaranteed by the Constitution, any more than flying a full-scale aircraft or even driving a car. Technology now gives the capability of going beyond a field's boundaries. It is what it is, and we will all one day have to live with new regulations accordingly. It's a sad truth, that some of us won't get to fly anymore. That's OK with me, because I have plenty of other hobbies and things to do.
IMO, that is a sad way of thinking, but you are entitled to your own thinking. I have no desire to see any more control of AMA by either government or ESPECIALLY BIG BUSINESS. Big Business can be more controlling than government as the insiders become the feather merchants for the controlling big business. My life of some 78 years has been a life of airplanes from a pre-school time with paper models, through modeling, USAF navigator, bombardier and pilot, United Airlines pilot, hobby-shop owner,
AMA member since late '40s, AMA EC member, Contest Coordinator, Contest Director since 1963, Leader Member since 1964, and many other smaller tasks. There is an individual still listed as on staff at AMA that could if he so desired provide some information concerning some tasks I performed that kept BIG Business from stealing all the RC frequencies, in the era of 1981. Just this past Sat. 2-22-14, I was CD for a Competition Fun Fly which I financed and the Club gets the monies collected. I CARE. That club enjoys a large 50 acre field that I arranged for some 18 years ago. I CARE!
In my younger years, I had the opportunity to have summer jobs in the pipeline industry. From age 14 through the summer of being 19, I worked in TX, LA, Ark, NJ, and British Columbia. At 19+6 mo. I entered the USAF Aviation Cadet program.
When I see a Volcano smoking, I am looking for just how soon will the eruption happen. That eruption is when Big Business obtains a financial interest in the AMA which will create AMA Directions to be aimed strictly as Big Business directs. While I once promoted the establishment of a Foundation for AMA, I now foresee the possibility of the Foundation becoming a strong Director of the FPV program thus having a strong hold on AMA's financial neck.
So as in far too many situations of today, one can see the financial control of certain big business operations controlling various items from individuals to huge corporations. This being another election year for the Executive Vice President of AMA, it is an opportunity for the membership to regain a bit of the EC with a strong personality individual not relegated to the financial industry. "Git muh drift thar Ol' Pord!"
Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Post deleted.

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 02-26-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Hossfly

:::: Let the AMA do its thing. The worse they can do, is create more taxpayers to give money to people like me. But until that time, I will remain the scum of the earth, and the local clubs can banish me from their fields for all I care.
Thanks for the confession, N-S! My answer to your plight is not for this forum. Best of luck to you and hope everything gets better.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Hossfly

Norfolk Southern, with all due respects for you position, I do know that the medical folks range from Devils to real Medical Performers. I have been at both ends.

My main thought is why you have a war with "...the rich..." and "...have had to subsist with minimum-wage jobs..." In this country those that want to work can do so.
At age 6-8, a small kid way out in the country,living in a 4 room log house built by my Dad's Dad, I had a number of chores. I still found time to pick cotton when it was time, and later gather corn in the Fall when it was Harvest time. From 9-12 I trapped in the winter for 'coons and mink. By 12 I was out there helping some with their gardening and such. By 14, my dad away on construction work, I had a Driver's License ordered by the judge. That summer I did heavy construction including driving a concrete-mixing truck.
Between summers I peeled piling and cut logs along with school. At 15 I did right-of-way clearing and got my first pipeline job for several weeks. From then on I usually had a Welder's Helper position and some utility welder spots all in weeks of 70-96 hours. I never wasted my time with school extra curricular activities such as ball teams, etc. I needed money and I made it go far, as there were some young lady-friends that managed to take up some time. Yet I maintained enough to fly CL models in my back yard and on a local school ground. The fire was burning.
SKIP a long time! When I left the USAF for UAL, I thought after 2 years I was going to be furloughed. I opened a Hobby Shop using a bank loan on my house. It prospered.Lot's of good stories there. There was a 3 month period when UAL was down because of a mechanic strike. I worked my hobby-shop and drove a cab for 7 hours at night 4 days a week. There I learned that the worst folks to deal with were the "wanna-be rich" types while the folks that work in the service industries were the best.
Having 3 kids to care for and wishing to send them to school was my goal. I never had the college education outside some night schools which provided me with a 2 year GED to get onto United. Rich? NO FRIGGEN' way! I got those kids through school. No beer parties for me. No big parties for anything. Learn to buy a new car, take care of it, and drive it for a minimum of 6 years, Maybe a "beater" to drive back and forth to work, but that was it. Even right now, my wife's Chrysler T&C, is 4 years old, and my truck, Dodge Diesel 2500 is working on 7 years old. They each are well maintained.
My 3 kids: Daughter - graduate of a University. Retired flight attendant with 3 children and 3 grandchildren. 1st son: Retired USAF Lt. Col. Pilot for United now from Continental in the recent "gathering!" Sons both University grads, Youngest son went to work for a company specializing in land acquisitions. Started low, got a partner, took the company over, then he bought out partner and has owned the business for many years now. None of these people allowed running, partying and playing to upset their focal points.
Each has had some ups and downs, yet never blamed any other for those downs. Example of a situation: I have a grand-Daughter that was an outstanding school teacher, for Jr. High and High. Got tired of the politics, and started a home business having to do with some girlish stuff, I don't really know except within about 8 months now she makes more than her teaching job. Careers are out there for those that care to work for it. Beer parties, living from paycheck to paycheck, etc. will never override buying real-estate, dividing same and holding the notes, which is an example of working at home and living good. Been there done that and still hold a couple notes.
Therefore Norfolk, I do not hold a sympathy for you since you have not stated the thing that gets you down. OTOH my world tells me that one does NOT HAVE to live with minimum wage if one wants better and is willing to WORK! The opportunities are endless. By The Way, move to Texas, the fastest growing state in the USA. Growth rate here is at 1200 newbies per week into TX, not counting the swim-classes on the Rio Grande! NO STATE INCOME TAX!
RC is alive and well. I'm glad that I got Jetero 50 acres to play on. Ya''ll come see us, ya hear? www.jetero.com

Last edited by Hossfly; 02-25-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add point
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I do not hold a sympathy for you
I was not asking for sympathy.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People need to remember, that RC flying, even if it is a mere model airplane, is a privilege.
Uhh, flying a full scale or driving a car is a privilage. Playing with toys, cutting your grass, eating, sleeping, and flying model airplanes is a right. Not necessarily codified, but a right nontheless.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Uhh, flying a full scale or driving a car is a privilage. Playing with toys, cutting your grass, eating, sleeping, and flying model airplanes is a right. Not necessarily codified, but a right nontheless.
Now, I am gonna go out on a limb and disagree with you completely. I believe that living in this country is a privilege. All of the opportunities, necessities and pleasure we enjoy are privileges. There are plenty of places in the word that have none of these. We do have the right, in this country (at least), to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But even these rights are carefully constrained to meet the legal necessities of a functioning society.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Now, I am gonna go out on a limb and disagree with you completely. I believe that living in this country is a privilege. All of the opportunities, necessities and pleasure we enjoy are privileges. There are plenty of places in the word that have none of these. We do have the right, in this country (at least), to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But even these rights are carefully constrained to meet the legal necessities of a functioning society.
I going to go out on a bigger limb and agree...you do believe everything is a privilege...and you are not alone...and that is the beginning of the end to the great country we once had... Right now "the privilege minded" are winning.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I going to go out on a bigger limb and agree...you do believe everything is a privilege...and you are not alone...and that is the beginning of the end to the great country we once had... Right now "the privilege minded" are winning.
priv·i·lege
ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun
noun: privilege; plural noun: privileges
    a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
    "education is a right, not a privilege"
    [TABLE="class: vk_tbl vk_gy"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl"]synonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]advantage, benefit; Moreprerogative, entitlement, right;
    concession, freedom, liberty
    "senior students have certain privileges"

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    • something regarded as a rare opportunity and bringing particular pleasure.
      "I have the privilege of awarding you this scholarship"
      [TR]
      [TD]honor, pleasure More"it was a privilege to meet her"

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]
    • (in a parliamentary context) the right to say or write something without the risk of incurring punishment or legal action for defamation.
      noun: absolute privilege; plural noun: absolute privileges
    • the right of a lawyer or official to refuse to divulge confidential information.
    • historical
      a grant to an individual, corporation, or place of special rights or immunities, esp. in the form of a franchise or monopoly.
      [TR]
      [TD]immunity, exemption, dispensation More"congressional privilege"

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

verbformal

verb: privilege; 3rd person present: privileges; past tense: privileged; past participle: privileged; gerund or present participle: privileging
    grant a privilege or privileges to.
    "English inheritance law privileged the eldest son"
    • exempt (someone) from a liability or obligation to which others are subject.

So, do you agree that as members of the group of citizens of this country that we are afforded rare opportunities bringing particular pleasure?

And do you also agree that along with these opportunities, comes great responsibility?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
littlecrankshaf

priv·i·lege
ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun
noun: privilege; plural noun: privileges
    a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
    "education is a right, not a privilege"
    [TR]
    [TD]advantage, benefit; Moreprerogative, entitlement, right;
    concession, freedom, liberty
    "senior students have certain privileges"
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    • something regarded as a rare opportunity and bringing particular pleasure.
      "I have the privilege of awarding you this scholarship"
      [TR]
      [TD]honor, pleasure More"it was a privilege to meet her"
      [/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]
    • (in a parliamentary context) the right to say or write something without the risk of incurring punishment or legal action for defamation.
      noun: absolute privilege; plural noun: absolute privileges
    • the right of a lawyer or official to refuse to divulge confidential information.
    • historical
      a grant to an individual, corporation, or place of special rights or immunities, esp. in the form of a franchise or monopoly.
      [TR]
      [TD]immunity, exemption, dispensation More"congressional privilege"
      [/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

verbformal

verb: privilege; 3rd person present: privileges; past tense: privileged; past participle: privileged; gerund or present participle: privileging
    grant a privilege or privileges to.
    "English inheritance law privileged the eldest son"
    • exempt (someone) from a liability or obligation to which others are subject.

So, do you agree that as members of the group of citizens of this country that we are afforded rare opportunities bringing particular pleasure?

And do you also agree that along with these opportunities, comes great responsibility?

Really funny stuff...can't figure out if you are making an argument against what I said or agreeing with it...but it certainly shows two people can see the same exact info and have two totally different interpretations. Either way...you're right...and I know you'll agree with that LOL
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

"Show me your papers" is certainly a phrase that's become more familiar everyday.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM
JohnShe

"Show me your papers" is certainly a phrase that's become more familiar everyday.
Really! Where?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 PM
littlecrankshaf

Really! Where?
happens all the time at most toy airplane fields. Let's see...Do you have a waiver for that turbine powered model???or where's your permit for that large model??? Lets see your card...are you an open member or just a little parky flyer??? Just to name a few...
Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 AM
JohnShe

happens all the time at most toy airplane fields. Let's see...Do you have a waiver for that turbine powered model???or where's your permit for that large model??? Lets see your card...are you an open member or just a little parky flyer??? Just to name a few...
Yeah, I wear my membership cards in a badge pouch whenever I go to the club field. And, that's a problem because?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Hossfly

LCS, if your above statement was not so silly it may be considered. Your statement is for some organizational thing, therefore IMO like reaching for a rope that is hanging a foot above your reach.

Simply go out and buy yourself a large plot of land, and you don't need any papers. Then play with your toys as you so desire.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM
littlecrankshaf

LCS, if your above statement was not so silly it may be considered. Your statement is for some organizational thing, therefore IMO like reaching for a rope that is hanging a foot above your reach.

Simply go out and buy yourself a large plot of land, and you don't need any papers. Then play with your toys as you so desire.
I agree...pretty darn silly. But he asked. It would be easy to expand that outside the goofy/silly hobby BS. Let's just take driving...to a and from work... Just the other night I was pulled over after work in the wee hours of the morning. I was on the interstate driving a little lower than the speed limit. Out of nowhere Barney DPS pulls me over. Claims he seen me weave... BS! I was then asked for my papers and questioned as to where I was coming from, what kind of work I do, where I was going...on and on...

Just because our hobby "organization" is so silly doesn't negate the rest...

Bottom line since this is the AMA forum I was trying to keep relative to the silliness within AMA.

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 03-01-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM
JohnShe

I agree...pretty darn silly. ...

Just because our hobby "organization" is so silly doesn't negate the rest...

Bottom line since this is the AMA forum I was trying to keep relative to the silliness within AMA.
Not sure what you mean by silly, but... We were talking about privileged earlier. I think that being able to fly at a club field is a privilege. We earn that privilege by paying our dues and obeying the rules of the club. And, I don't think any of my club rules are silly or unfair.

Your analogy of going for a drive is similar. Driving is a privilege we earn by paying our license and registration fees and obeying the laws of the road. Again, these rules are neither silly or unfair.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM
littlecrankshaf

Yea and my point was that all this privilege results in Barney pulling me over and asking for a lot of BS. We collectively designed this privilege based society and via that, ever increasingly we will have to show our papers...staying with my point.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 AM
warningshot

Really! Where?
Try driving from East Texas to Arizona on I-10 and see how many time you are stoped and asked for your papers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.