AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Reply
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
  #1326
littlecrankshaf
 
littlecrankshaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: here
Posts: 5,413
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShe View Post
Ha, Ha! You have misunderstood my snide sarcasm.

I still think that what he did was wrong. keeping the video for his own use is a perversion. Posting it on a public forum is a violation of her privacy and a perversion.
ok ok....
is that more sarcasm or have you now taken this thread on the tangent of some perversion of FPV pilots?
littlecrankshaf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
  #1327
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf View Post
ok ok....
is that more sarcasm or have you now taken this thread on the tangent of some perversion of FPV pilots?
What does FPV have to do with it?

He could have snuck his camera around under his beach towel, it would still be a perversion.
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM
  #1328
littlecrankshaf
 
littlecrankshaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: here
Posts: 5,413
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Ok so are we just talking about perversion in general now? You assertion has nothing to do with the threads subject matter? I guess if you keep moving the goal post no one can make a point and discuss your position on anything as it relates to this thread...
littlecrankshaf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM
  #1329
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf View Post
Ok so are we just talking about perversion in general now? You assertion has nothing to do with the threads subject matter? I guess if you keep moving the goal post no one can make a point and discuss your position on anything as it relates to this thread...
You didn't answer my question about FPV. It could have been LOS.
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM
  #1330
littlecrankshaf
 
littlecrankshaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: here
Posts: 5,413
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hard to tell if any question of yours are rhetorical cynicism or just a sarcastic response to incite more argument...as you admit to such...
littlecrankshaf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM
  #1331
Jim Branaum
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,603
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
That is totally incorrect. Unless he sells the video it is completely legal. In fact that was the point of the site that hosted the video.
That is not quite true. If you shoot a personal photo or video without another's permission you are potentially liable for all sorts of things. Making that action public by posting it anywhere is an invitation to disaster because it is a clear invasion of privacy.

I know a very foolish young man who's daddy spent over $5K defending him against a sexual charge brought by a school district stemming from a photo the kid shot in a high school English class that was taken from the top of his desk - no, not pointing down at all! The only reason *I* know about it is the daddy asked me for a recommendation for a good lawyer.

That invasion of privacy issue is one of the things that is being bandied about in many state houses today.
Jim Branaum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM
  #1332
ira d
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 3,040
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Branaum View Post
That is not quite true. If you shoot a personal photo or video without another's permission you are potentially liable for all sorts of things. Making that action public by posting it anywhere is an invitation to disaster because it is a clear invasion of privacy.

I know a very foolish young man who's daddy spent over $5K defending him against a sexual charge brought by a school district stemming from a photo the kid shot in a high school English class that was taken from the top of his desk - no, not pointing down at all! The only reason *I* know about it is the daddy asked me for a recommendation for a good lawyer.

That invasion of privacy issue is one of the things that is being bandied about in many state houses today.
Legal and libel are two different things you don't have to do anything wrong or illegal to be sued.
ira d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
  #1333
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira d View Post
Legal and libel are two different things you don't have to do anything wrong or illegal to be sued.
Our legal system for civil liability issues is based on English Common Law. We use the courts and judges to settle matters. The loser is usually considered to have done something wrong. Ideally illegality is based on statute and in that case, after court proceedings, the loser is considered to have done something wrong. So to me you are just splitting hairs.
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM
  #1334
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf View Post
Hard to tell if any question of yours are rhetorical cynicism or just a sarcastic response to incite more argument...as you admit to such...
Are we having fun yet?
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
  #1335
804
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sheridan, IN
Posts: 1,167
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShe View Post
Are we having fun yet?
Some folks are.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR39DErszRE
804 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
  #1336
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 View Post

ROTFLMAO. Although, someone could have been injured. The crowed was truly fortunate.
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 AM
  #1337
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,897
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShe View Post
ROTFLMAO. Although, someone could have been injured. The crowed was truly fortunate.
So would you have them arrest the LA t-shirt?
Sport_Pilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM
  #1338
804
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sheridan, IN
Posts: 1,167
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShe View Post
ROTFLMAO. Although, someone could have been injured. The crowed was truly fortunate.
Boy, I guess so.
The way you and Branaum have been going on here,
I would have expected a decapitation, amputation,
or at least a lopped off nose or ear out of this.
804 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM
  #1339
combatpigg
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 19,891
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 View Post
Boy, I guess so.
The way you and Branaum have been going on here,
I would have expected a decapitation, amputation,
or at least a lopped off nose or ear out of this.
Copied and pasted.
To be forwarded to family members of recent RC related tragedies.
combatpigg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM
  #1340
bradpaul
 
bradpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 1,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Coming soon to your local PD

Just wait until the next eight year old kid sets up a lemonade stand without a permit.

http://www.desert-wolf.com/dw/produc...ol-copter.html
bradpaul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM
  #1341
raptureboy
 
raptureboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kempton PA
Posts: 2,583
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I can't believe this thread is still droning on. Give it a rest already people, and go fly something.
raptureboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
  #1342
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,897
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpaul View Post
Just wait until the next eight year old kid sets up a lemonade stand without a permit.

http://www.desert-wolf.com/dw/produc...ol-copter.html
I can now invision a battle between an illegal drone and an FAA inforcement drone. I suspect John would want something more lethal for the FAA.
Sport_Pilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM
  #1343
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpaul View Post
Just wait until the next eight year old kid sets up a lemonade stand without a permit.

http://www.desert-wolf.com/dw/produc...ol-copter.html
Well, the FAA has announced the opening of the fourth UAS test area, in TX, maybe they should take it out there and test it.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=16454
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:21 PM
  #1344
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
So would you have them arrest the LA t-shirt?
SP sometimes you are clueless.
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM
  #1345
koastrc
 
koastrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BILOXI Mississippi
Posts: 283
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

1344 post? Is that it? I was wondering how the stand your ground anti-gun thing was going to play out? Was there anything settled? Just asking.
koastrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 PM
  #1346
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,897
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastrc View Post
1344 post? Is that it? I was wondering how the stand your ground anti-gun thing was going to play out? Was there anything settled? Just asking.
Shhh. That talk was banned!
Sport_Pilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM
  #1347
Silent-AV8R
 
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

FAA just issued new model aircraft guidelines (June 2014)

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...6474&cid=TW223
Silent-AV8R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 PM
  #1348
NorfolkSouthern
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,568
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
FAA just issued new model aircraft guidelines (June 2014)

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...6474&cid=TW223
It seems to me like it's always been that way. None of these "guidelines" suggest any form of licensing, or permission needed from the FAA for the "recreational" use of a model airplane. It seems to me like people are still going to "fly under the radar". People will do what they want to do with their "toys". So, where's the beef?
NorfolkSouthern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM
  #1349
JohnShe
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Round Hill, VA
Posts: 1,359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
FAA just issued new model aircraft guidelines (June 2014)

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...6474&cid=TW223
Wow, the special rule document is 17 pages of fun, a real page turner. It is open for public comment for 30 days starting from an unspecified date. One thing I noticed was the lack of consideration for a buddy box when flying FPV. Without a buddy box, FPV is DOA. I suppose some people will comment on that. I intend to carefully reread it a few times to see if my recreational use of model aircraft may be unnecessarily impeded. In which case I may make a comment.
JohnShe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 AM
  #1350
DocYates
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Killen, AL
Posts: 3,331
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

From the published guidelines, it would appear as long as you are following the AMA guidelines, do not exceed 400', remain line of sight, fly in Type G airspace outside of an airport, they plan to leave us alone. Aircraft are limited to 55#, unless certified thru an agency (AMA is the only one I know of that currently has a program in the US). The next paragragraph after that basically creates whisteblower program that allows those who feel you are going outside those rules to notify the local FAA office for investigation. Sounds to me like they followed the AMA guidelines pretty closely, and are very adamant about recognizing commercial vs. non-commercial intentions. From my comprehension of this, there is more to come, and if you plan on doing anything for compensation you will require a license from some entity. It is not explained yet.
DocYates is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:17 AM.