Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:55 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Privacy is definitely a concern with drones, and this is why most states are starting to draft laws concerning photographs taken around private property: People's back yards, for example. I actually DO believe in protecting privacy, even if it requires a warrant for law enforcement to use a drone in some circumstances. None the less, anything that's not personal property is game, in my opinion. If a particular railroad switch yard appeals to you, and you want to get a nice photo of that rare locomotive and rolling stock, then I'm all for it. Want to take a nice shot of a huge junction that intersects several freeways for an appealing modern mosaic? No problem there either, it's just good art.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Privacy is definitely a concern with drones, and this is why most states are starting to draft laws concerning photographs taken around private property: People's back yards, for example. I actually DO believe in protecting privacy, even if it requires a warrant for law enforcement to use a drone in some circumstances. None the less, anything that's not personal property is game, in my opinion. If a particular railroad switch yard appeals to you, and you want to get a nice photo of that rare locomotive and rolling stock, then I'm all for it. Want to take a nice shot of a huge junction that intersects several freeways for an appealing modern mosaic? No problem there either, it's just good art.
Railroad switch yards are private property. Just ask the railroad companies. Flying a drone over a highway interchange would endanger the traffic and get a pretty strong response from law enforcement. Both actions could be considered terrorism and cause a response from government agencies responsible for investigating terrorism. Have fun! I know you love dealing with government agencies.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
smeckert

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/15/taki...hers-outraged/

Coming soon to an area near you . Maybe this is the Avenue to go to stop those fpv people . Privacy concerns will be the route to banning their use .
Old 03-15-2014, 05:24 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by RCRON
Does this mean that I can fly over my neighbors house and see his nice naked wife laying by the pool !!!
If you fly above 500 feet. ( AMA says you only need to stay below 400 feet if you are within 3 miles of an airport).
Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Railroad switch yards are private property. Just ask the railroad companies. Flying a drone over a highway interchange would endanger the traffic and get a pretty strong response from law enforcement. Both actions could be considered terrorism and cause a response from government agencies responsible for investigating terrorism. Have fun! I know you love dealing with government agencies.
If railroads are only concerned with the safety of people who walk on their yards, yet allow railfans to photograph their trains and equipment, then I seriously doubt if they would have a problem with a light-weight quad copter flying 500 feet over a rake of boxcars, as long as its not flown over people. The FAA hasn't much to say about that either, because full-scale planes fly over railroad property all the time. And, people take photographs of that equipment, so privacy is a moot issue there. Same with intersections.

Drones are here to stay. Get used to it!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:32 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I am going to add this: If people have a problem with drones flying FPV for pleasure, then perhaps the FAA should have started regulating RC model airplanes at least 40 years ago. But now that it's woven into the fabric of our society, the genie is long out of the bottle, and there is no way to put it back in.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:45 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by warningshot
If you fly above 500 feet. ( AMA says you only need to stay below 400 feet if you are within 3 miles of an airport).
Yes, that's why you need to be a CBO member. FAA says you have to stay below 400 feet everywhere, but CBO members can't be regulated by FAA.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 PM
JohnShe

I am going to add this: If people have a problem with drones flying FPV for pleasure, then perhaps the FAA should have started regulating RC model airplanes at least 40 years ago. But now that it's woven into the fabric of our society, the genie is long out of the bottle, and there is no way to put it back in.

So, you have no use for reasonable safety guidelines that advise us to avoid populates areas, flying over private property without permission and any risky behavior that might cause damage or injury.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:03 PM
NorfolkSouthern

So, you have no use for reasonable safety guidelines that advise us to avoid populates areas, flying over private property without permission and any risky behavior that might cause damage or injury.
Until a pilot's license and medical certificate are required to fly a park foamie, I have no problem with people doing what they want, because I know that any injury from a model plane that small is highly unlikely. Back in the day, people would fly plastic control-lines at the local baseball diamond, and people would come to watch. And boy was it fun to watch, too! Not to mention, the smell of that .049 glow fuel was just intoxicating. If anything, this new technology may encourage more people to get into modeling, rather than play video games all day.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 PM
smeckert

By reasonable guidelines , you mean a full ban ?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by smeckert
By reasonable guidelines , you mean a full ban ?
I mean the AMA safety code.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:30 PM
NorfolkSouthern

How about another drone link. These are actual scale models, and he IS above the clouds:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867109

No word from the FAA on that, either. They are made of frangible foam. A total ban? AMA guidelines??? There is no current way to stop activity like that from happening. Now, before anybody gets the idea that it's me actually doing this, I will honestly inform you that I have not flown an RC plane in at least two years, even though I have a few in my possession. They are not currently equipped for FPV.

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 03-15-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:40 PM
cj_rumley

But, but...............the vast storehouse of UAS safety expertise in Muncie, Indiana is hell bent on supporting and making rules for UAS operators in the civil and public sectors. Are they going to advise providers of emergency services to avoid populated areas and flying over private property? How about commercial drone operators, other than those with agrarian interests? I expect we'll be seeing some novel changes to the AMA Safety Code.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
JohnShe

How about another drone link. These are actual scale models, and he IS above the clouds:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867109

No word from the FAA on that, either. They are made of frangible foam. A total ban? AMA guidelines??? There is no current way to stop activity like that from happening. Now, before anybody gets the idea that it's me actually doing this, I will honestly inform you that I have not flown an RC plane in at least two years, even though I have a few in my possession. They are not currently equipped for FPV.

You sre correct, you cannoy stop sociopaths from doing infredibly stupid things. But, you can punish them for the damage they cause.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes, that's why you need to be a CBO member. FAA says you have to stay below 400 feet everywhere, but CBO members can't be regulated by FAA.
No need to be a member as long as you fly within the CBO safety guidelines.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If railroads are only concerned with the safety of people who walk on their yards, yet allow railfans to photograph their trains and equipment, then I seriously doubt if they would have a problem with a light-weight quad copter flying 500 feet over a rake of boxcars, as long as its not flown over people. The FAA hasn't much to say about that either, because full-scale planes fly over railroad property all the time. And, people take photographs of that equipment, so privacy is a moot issue there. Same with intersections.

Drones are here to stay. Get used to it!
Sorry, that was not the point of what was said. The RR folks OWN that land and THEY get to decide what is right and wrong for their purposes, not you. As long as they stay within the curbs set out by law can invite all the local prostitutes to view the tracks and deny you and your FPV access. If you wish to trespass I would consider retaining legal representation to help you with the consequences of your actions.

As for your follow-on post, I suggest that you get a life or pay attention to the subject at hand which is NOT people with a problem with FPV flight for pleasure but COMMERCIAL usages.

I also suggest that before you continue to tell the world how harmless these things are, try taking a full hit from one at WOT pulling out of a dive - lets do that in the chest because I wouldn't want your face ruined, nor would I like to see (or hear of) you being proved a liar.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 AM
beechdrvr

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Sorry, that was not the point of what was said. The RR folks OWN that land and THEY get to decide what is right and wrong for their purposes, not you. As long as they stay within the curbs set out by law can invite all the local prostitutes to view the tracks and deny you and your FPV access. If you wish to trespass I would consider retaining legal representation to help you with the consequences of your actions.

As for your follow-on post, I suggest that you get a life or pay attention to the subject at hand which is NOT people with a problem with FPV flight for pleasure but COMMERCIAL usages.

I also suggest that before you continue to tell the world how harmless these things are, try taking a full hit from one at WOT pulling out of a dive - lets do that in the chest because I wouldn't want your face ruined, nor would I like to see (or hear of) you being proved a liar.
Now THATS the video I want to see!! Man up and prove it.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

What a fun thread...we have assertions that our "privilege" to fly models should also include licensing to keep us safe from the ever present moron and the sociopaths...What I wonder is why that hasn't worked for automobile use privilege as all that licensing and insurance hasn't reduced the morons and sociopaths one iota...seems a failed logic to me...

Also funny, we routinely drive along side of those morons and sociopaths and we, well some of us. come here and make such a big stink about the dangers of model flying...FWIW I really agree with Jim's observation about how insurance can make "some" people feel less inhibited and actually increase the likely hood of a horrendous accident. i.e. There is a part of town that I avoid driving because insurance insulates the Dads from "real" financial risk and allows all the sociopathic idiot kids to drive their over financed performance vehicles that daddy bought....Funny how that ideology is accepted but when it comes to model aviation we, well... some of us, cast the very worst case scenarios to justify the need for more ominous oversight... Hmmm...that seems very ironic to me...those that we call morons are us!!! LOL

I've come to one conclusion; people are idiots!!! Oh, that includes me too...
Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Warbirdguy

I really could care less about what any governing body has to say about drones. I really could care less about the drones anyway. You can fly them all you want, but, when you fly over my property, and I see it, the last then the camera on the drone will see is the end of my 12 guage as the shot leaves the barrel I will shoot down ANY drones over my property.

WBG
Old 03-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting piece about commercial drone use in other countries, many of which are way ahead of us because their equivalents of the FAA are not so obstructive:

http://www.wtop.com/256/3583891/US-l...f-around-globe
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Warbirdguy
I really could care less about what any governing body has to say about drones. I really could care less about the drones anyway. You can fly them all you want, but, when you fly over my property, and I see it, the last then the camera on the drone will see is the end of my 12 guage as the shot leaves the barrel I will shoot down ANY drones over my property.

WBG
I wish I could, but the local yokels tell me it is against the law to discharge a firearm without valid reasons in my community. Therefore, I am dependent on responsible local and federal law enforcement. And they have been reliable. So I am going to support FAA oversight of commercial drones. And, I will call the cops on the irresponsible fun seekers or sociopaths as I like to call them.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Silent-AV8R

Oops. Link already posted.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Interesting piece about commercial drone use in other countries, many of which are way ahead of us because their equivalents of the FAA are not so obstructive:

http://www.wtop.com/256/3583891/US-l...f-around-globe
I was quite amused by the fallacy in the pop fly analogy.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 AM
bradpaul

And the ability to shoot ourselves in the foot continues. OK..... FPV/multirotor/drone pilots, continue to PO those that make the laws and see what ends up happening.

Legal or not when you make enemies of Senators and Congressmen the days are numbered. I especially like the spokesperson from "Code Pink" throwing all RC under the bus with "it's just a toy airplane"!

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...in-104718.html
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by bradpaul
And the ability to shoot ourselves in the foot continues. OK..... FPV/multirotor/drone pilots, continue to PO those that make the laws and see what ends up happening.

Legal or not when you make enemies of Senators and Congressmen the days are numbered. I especially like the spokesperson from "Code Pink" throwing all RC under the bus with "it's just a toy airplane"!

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...in-104718.html
Oh, come on now...she was flattered that anyone would peak in the window to see her...LOL BUT if she's really worried she should be promoting shooting them down with a shot-gun for those of us that can't make one crash just by letting it see us... like she did...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.